• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Paertan

Oct 28, 2017
I am careful not to drive to early the day after. Try not to drive at all. But I am not 100% sure I was completely clean every time.
Never knowingly sat behind the wheel drunk.

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
Someone very close to me was killed by a drunk driver in high school. I have never, nor will I ever, get behind the wheel after drinking.

Deleted member 4434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Never. But once I drove after I didn't sleep all night, and I'm pretty sure it was just as dangerous as driving around drunk. I was fleeing from a dangerous situation so at the time I had no choice, but it took me so much effort to keep the car on the proper side of the road I just pulled over and went to sleep for an hour. I think back to that time sometimes and I really was so lucky I didn't cause an accident.

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah
Worst I've done was driving after sleeping very poorly in the car, probably slept 2-3 hours total. Left around 11 am the morning after and was feeling like shit.

Metalix

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, twice.

First time was at a friend's birthday/house party where I parked on the opposite of the road from the house. Traffic wardens would be scouring that area at 8am the following morning but no biggie, I'd just get up early and move my car. Except it got to 7.30am and we were still up soo...yeah. Went out in my socks and moved the sucker down the road with my hostess screeching at me in the passenger seat, had a car come up behind me as well. Don't think I've ever concentrated on driving as much as I did then.

Second occasion was when I parked near a tube station in a spot I thought was fine on weekends and met my friend at the pub. Returned to my car two pints later and discovered a parking notice on the windscreen. Whelp, leave my car and rack up a fine or drive the 0.5 miles home. Opted for the latter, took the handbrake off and effectively rolled back home. There was one busy traffic light cross-roads en route, though so hardly the best idea. Don't drive over the limit, kids.

---

Have driven whilst insanely hungover though, would usually transpire after music festivals. At least going from Bestival to London is a straight line, ung. Also drove around Yosemite Park at night almost falling asleep which is by far the dumbest driving-related escapade I've had. Some of those cliff-edges don't have fences or walls...

Edit:

Where I grew up, it was very common. Before Uber, no real taxis around, terrible public transportation. Even in a country where the laws are very strict, anything over 0.0 is an arrest, I still see it, but nowhere near as often. I fully support crazy strong laws against it. To answer the question, yes. A long time ago

South Africa?

Last edited:

Coinspinner

Nov 6, 2017
Nope, never. I've never been drunk.

My reaction to taking a sip of spiked eggnog was like Hank Hill's reaction to taking a puff of weed.

PoppaBK

Oct 27, 2017
I have never driven drunk, but one time at a wine festival I did drive after drinking a couple of glasses of wine after the DD got drunk. I made sure to stop drinking as soon as I realized I would have to replace the DD and waited a good long while before driving. I doubt I was legally over the limit, but can't know for sure.

fick

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 24, 2018
Yeah, the whole spectrum of "had a drink at dinner" to "are you fucking stupid?"

Don't anymore, but I'm extremely lucky I never got arrested/hurt anyone.

methane47

Oct 28, 2017
Yes according to the legal limit.
Never in the USofA though. I live on a tiny island with no highways and its almost impossible to drive fast. So basically everyone does it here. including the police.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
i've never broken any drunk driving laws

but on my road trip in the us i did drive a couple of times after having one or two beers which i never would do at home

your dui are so fucking lax though, so i couldn't resist

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Nope. Never had a liscense and I can't drink. As an aside, I also want to mention that being sleep deprived is as much of an impairment as being drunk. Unfortunately, that's caused by employers for a lot of us.

jimtothehum

Mar 23, 2018
I think the scariest thing I have done is drive super tired, which I think can be as dangerous as driving drunk.

Oct 28, 2017
No, but I've driven a couple of times while really tired, and I think MythBusters said that's just as bad. Get your 40 winks, kids.
Edit: beaten lol

thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA
Not by the legal definition of drunk. I rarely consume alcohol before/after driving (meaning I walk or have a ride). The thing is, even if you wait the "required" time for it to wear off, you have to remember that everyone processes alcohol at least a little differently than the next person, alcohol content per single drink varies wildly, etc.

edit:

I think the scariest thing I have done is drive super tired, which I think can be as dangerous as driving drunk.

The worst for me was coming down with some sort of stomach bug or something when I wasn't at home. Lots of puking. I felt like shit and still had to drive. I couldn't keep water down and definitely had some feelings of dehydration along with the shitty sick feeling.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Yeah in my early 20's I did. It was always late at night and I tried to stick to the beltway and parkways but I was definitely not sober a bunch of those times.

One night I was about to go home after a happy hour - took my side-view mirror off and scraped my fender backing out of my spot.

I parked, got out, took a cab and never drove drunk again. Not long after that I moved across the street from work and the metro and basically stopped driving altogether, plus ride-sharing began about that time.

For a while after that incident I had nightmares of driving drunk and running someone over. I'm glad my stupidity didn't result in that.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
Was on a road trip once with the bestie and got absolutely blasted one night in the hotel room on edibles. Tried to serve out my hitch the next morning behind the wheel, and the very first thing I did was back the rental car into a retaining wall. Bestie shoved me into the passenger seat while I admonished her for not believing me when I said I was still high af.

Trice

Banned
Nov 3, 2018
Croatia
Yes, a scooter bike but it was mostly a macadam road(to avoid cops, no license or anything as well, was young) and I crashed halfway to home and ended up pushing it the rest of the way.

Panther2103

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, I've never driven after drinking, then again I've always drank at home or took a bus after if it was out.

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. More than a few times. Fortunately didn't hurt myself or others.

Been sober since August 30, so, coming up on 8 months here....

Deleted member 13148

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No, I take public transportation whenever I can, and during the times I can't, I limit myself to one drink with food, over at least an hour.

I did drive extremely tired when I was younger, which is about as stupid as driving drunk. I'll never do that again.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
Nope, even when I'm shitfaced I feel like I'm able to rein myself in to not doing something completely dumb.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, and it was absolutely stupid every goddamned time.

Thankfully I never hurt anyone, or myself, but I am not proud of it whatsoever.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Yup, once. My right mirror paid the price as it hit a light post. That was about 2 years ago, never driving while drunk or even tipsy again, it was a light post that day but it could have been a person or a stray animal and I'd probably be in jail right now.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Never to the point where I was like "drunk drunk". I have driven after having a few drinks, but even then I took precautions for example like always leaving an hour or 90 minutes cushion of no drinking before driving.

When I would go to a club or bar in years past and knew I was going to drink, I'd keep a Nintendo DS in my car and simply play for an hour or two if need be to get to a point where I was sober.

Nowadays I just don't drink more than what would get me over the legal limit. Never was a huge drinker anyway.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Everyone has had a drink at dinner and then driven home. Congrats, you were technically drunk.

Yup. Especially if the BAC limit is 0.05. 2 pints of a typical beer at dinner or a single quad pint and you are legally drunk in many parts of the world.

Worse are designated drivers with people that binge drink and bar hop. They "hold back" by drinking only 4 drinks over a few hours but if they are cocktails often they are above 0.08.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Yeah, the whole spectrum of "had a drink at dinner" to "are you fucking stupid?"

Don't anymore, but I'm extremely lucky I never got arrested/hurt anyone.

Yup, this is me. Or the winery tours where I "sobered up" on the hour long bus ride back. Only towards the end of my drinking career with a breathalyzer did I realize how long a day drinking bac can stay above the limit.

Rag

Oct 30, 2017
Way too many times, and I'm not proud of it. It sounds like I'm blaming other people, which isn't how I intend it, but I don't have a voice in my head that tells me not to drive once I'm past a certain point in the night. If I don't have someone with me to make me stop and think, I just get in the car and go. This was a huge problem in my twenties, but I don't really go out anymore, and when I do, I'm with people, or I Uber home.

APerfectOrganism

Sky Van Gogh
Dec 23, 2018
Washington State
Yes, once in my early twenties. It was a long straight road home with no other cars or people nearby, so drunk me thought it was okay.

Still regret that decision and am ashamed I made, but I'm happy everything turned out okay.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
There's a brewery in Austin called adelberts that sells a flight of Belgian style beers that averages 8.5% abv. People drive to this because it's in the middle of a light industrial area. Unless you drink the flight and wait nearly 3 hours, you are way over the limit. Dont know why people thought this was a good idea. Cops could line up at it like taxis at a hotel.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Drove a golf cart drunk in Isla Mujeres, Mexico.

Apart from that, no.