• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Beast Wars is one of the very first shows I think of when I imagine my favorites from my childhood. It continues to be on my mind relatively frequently. I still think there's never been a better Transformers show. Grateful for this guys work. These guys really made it special.

He also wrote an episode of Transformers Animated a few years back which I think is the second best Transformers show.

SatoAilDarko

Oct 25, 2017
RIP

I really loved Beast Wars especially because of the story. So many great character moments like Dinobot's death, Cheetor's development and all of Tarantulas.

The only Transformers series I ever got into.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
He's also famous for writing one of the best Call of Cthulhu campaigns: Masks of Nyarlathotep.

Treestump

Mar 28, 2018
Damn. Beast Wars was my jam. Truly a big part of my growing up.

Rest in Peace, good sir.

Primus

Oct 25, 2017
He-Man, The Real Ghostbusters, Beast Wars, Babylon-5, and let's not forget about the best Call of Cthulhu campaign ever written, "The Masks of Nyarlathotep".

RIP, you will be missed.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
He was also a writer and story editor on Babylon 5, and worked with JMS on many excellent projects (including He-Man). Along with Bob Forward he pretty much changed how people approached Transformers fiction forever.

SatoAilDarko

Oct 25, 2017
*plays famous Dinobot speech*

It's such a distinct memory for me. I'm nine and it's 4:29 pm in the afternoon watching Fox Kids and my Mom asks why I'm sobbing. I had never been moved like that before by fiction. Dinobot wasn't even top five or probably top ten of my favorite characters. It was just the fact he was the most ruthless of the heroes (being a former villain) and knew he was going to die and struggled against it but then choose to save those he didn't care about. I had never experienced a Last Stand before and this one was amazing.

"Destiny is one great test in store for us all. Has mine already come and have I failed it? A deed once done cannot be undone, but perhaps, it may yet be mitigated."

"The question that once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own. And yet, how ironic... for I now find that I have no choice at all! I am a warrior... let the battle be joined."

"Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly, the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence."

Superb last words.

Last edited:

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's such a distinct memory for me. 4:29 pm in the afternoon watching Fox Kids and my Mom asks why I'm sobbing. I had never been moved like that before by fiction. Dinobot wasn't even top five or probably top ten of my favorite characters. It was just the fact he was the most ruthless of the heroes (being a former villain) and knew he was going to die and struggled against it but then choose to save those he didn't care about. I had never experienced a Last Stand before and this one was amazing.

"Destiny is one great test in store for us all. Has mine already come and have I failed it? A deed once done cannot be undone, but perhaps, it may yet be mitigated."

"The question that once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own. And yet, how ironic... for I now find that I have no choice at all! I am a warrior... let the battle be joined."

"Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly, the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence."

Superb last words.
wow that is genuinely fantastic

BlackLagoon

Oct 25, 2017
Beast Wars became an obsession to me during a bad period of my life. His contributions to it, the world building in particular, were fantastic and helped take my mind off other things. Later he was kind enough to give an in depth answer when I randomly emailed him about his work.

I always hoped he'd get his own show, something he'd created from the bottom up. Sadly it seems it was not to be.

RIP.

Last edited:

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
=( Rest In Peace to those souls. I remember this show. I discovered this before transformers

OP
OP
Hero of Legend
Oct 26, 2017
Somehow upon close inspection I only just now noticed it's DiTillio and not DiTillo, with an "i" before the "o". Asked a mod to fix that. Sorry about that.

bwahhhhh

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Noooooo :( Transformers writing peaked there, I was always hoping Bob and Larry would have another crack at a Transformers show.

They were always internet fan friendly, even in the mid-late 90s, I remember that. Ahead of the curve.

RIP Larry.

Last edited:

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
Sad to hear, rest in peace.

As a kid who loved Transformers, Beast Wars is amazing. That show offered, as a kids show, so many layers, complex characters, but even humour where needed. The complete madness of Megatron, Optimus's heroics, the special bond between Rattrap and Dinobot, Cheetor slowly growing up, the secret mission of Tarantulas.

The death of Dinobot episode is absolutely amazing. I believe its the one they received an Emmy for.

Beast Wars had an amazing series finale as well.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing Transformers related has ever pulled me in like this shows has. Standalone eps and the longer arcs were so good.

Crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I have very fond memories of this show. RIP DiTillio and thank you so much for your hard work.

unknownspectator

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Damn, i loved his work. Some of the best writing I have ever seen, made it my favorite series that hasn't been topped to date. R.I.P.

Oct 25, 2017
I hope Shout Factory reprints the complete series of Beast Wars. I'll buy it in a beat in honor of him.

BW was also the reason to exist because of him.

Last edited:

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
Sad to hear. While I liked Transformers with G1, Beast is what made me a big fan of the franchise and stick with it.

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I loved Beast Wars growing up, it was so different in tone from most shows at the time. R.I.P.