• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Rival_Turf%21_cover.jpg

I used to play tons of beat-em-ups when I was a kid, and despite a lot of them being Final Fight clones, Rival Turf! was always one of the ones that most stuck out in my memory.

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
i dunno, learning to 1CC beat 'em ups for me as an adult has been pretty fun even if a lot of the licensed games in the genre (like pretty much any non-TMNT Konami one) really suck nowadays.

Yep, going for the 1cc is where the fun really shines for many arcade games, especially for beat em ups. It can be very intense when you are down to your final life.

Also, IGS' games always get overlooked in beat em up topics. Knights of Valor series and Shen Jian are great

Bulebule

Oct 27, 2017
I have a soft spot for beat 'em ups since playing TMNT 2: The Arcade game for the first time on NES. Recently I have been wanting to play Ninja Baseball Bat Man sometime in the future.

nbbbm-3.png

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
or that ugly as sin capcom arcade stick thing
Or own the arcade board plus a supergun (consolised arcade unit). That's what I have, so I can play AvP legit without emulation. Of course, price wise its not really something that is all that convenient for most people. I just did it because I love that game (and Capcom) that much. Well worth the cash.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it is a quality game. I love FF2 as well.
FF2 is not one I think I can fully appreciate. I mean, played on its own its clearly better than the first FF game on the Snes with nicer sprites, more levels, more characters and gameplay wise it feels faster. Rolento is even here this time!
Problem was, it felt a little too safe of a sequel, and when I replayed it recently I did so while having just played other 1993 Capcom beat em up releases - Mighty FF, Cadillacs and Dinosaurs, The Punisher and DnD Tower of Doom. It felt a bit lacking next to this collection of awesome brawlers, each having something that pushed it beyond FF (Mighty had leveling and learning new moves, Guy especially rocked due to the combos you could do with him, Punisher basically has a full fighting game movelist at his disposal and guns, DnD was an RPG hybrid with branching paths, and C&D was just a much faster paced, refined FF).

I love FF3 though. Looks better, Guy is back, alternate exists (I think?) more special moves. Its the sequel I really wanted.

Oct 27, 2017
Do you guys remember Dynamite Cop? Game is fun as hell. It also has some of the most ridiculous encounters I have ever seen.
FF2 is not one I think I can fully appreciate. I mean, played on its own its clearly better than the first FF game on the Snes with nicer sprites, more levels, more characters and gameplay wise it feels faster. Rolento is even here this time!
Problem was, it felt a little too safe of a sequel, and when I replayed it recently I did so while having just played other 1993 Capcom beat em up releases - Mighty FF, Cadillacs and Dinosaurs, The Punisher and DnD Tower of Doom. It felt a bit lacking next to this collection of awesome brawlers, each having something that pushed it beyond FF (Mighty had leveling and learning new moves, Guy especially rocked due to the combos you could do with him, Punisher basically has a full fighting game movelist at his disposal and guns, DnD was an RPG hybrid with branching paths, and C&D was just a much faster paced, refined FF).

I love FF3 though. Looks better, Guy is back, alternate exists (I think?) more special moves. Its the sequel I really wanted.
I totally agree with your that it is one of the weaker best em ups. Most of my love to it come from nostalgia.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Do you guys remember Dynamite Cop? Game is fun as hell. It also has some of the most ridiculous encounters I have ever seen.

I totally agree with your that it is one of the weaker best em ups. Most of my love to it come from nostalgia.
Dynamite Cop lets me beat people up with a frozen fish. Its amazing. Incidentally, Yakuza (3 and Ishin) also let you beat people up with fish. Good ol' Sega!

retroman

Oct 31, 2017
One of my fave genres. My love for beat 'em ups started more than thirty years ago with Double Dragon and I've never grown tired of the genre. I'm fairly certain the games I've completed most often in my life are Golden Axe and the Streets of Rage games.

A few great beat 'em ups that I haven't seen mentioned here yet:

Undercover Cops
8KkZ.gif

Double Dragon Advance
33c298a19b845e55ef7e651022667a7d.gif

Metamorphic Force
tumblr_ne9dzqwL7D1qbper1o1_400.gif

Violent Storm
tumblr_nkrml58BIR1r7sijxo1_400.gif

panama chief

Oct 27, 2017
an appreciation threat without a single song or picture in the OP. I should report this shit.

OT: I love beat em ups. recently ran through Double Dragon 2 on Switch. I save scumed my way to the end. im not entirely sure how as I a kid I could make it to the end on 3 lives.

anyway. Enjoy some Dreamer from Streets of Rage 2:

and the best cover ive heard of Double Dragon ive heard since The Minibosses covered

abobo2.gif

Force_XXI

Oct 29, 2017
Came to post Double Dragon Advance good to see its been mentioned, godlike beat em up. One of my best arcade experiences ever was playing all the way through Revenge of the Death Adder with max players

Dukie85

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Captain Commando is forever my #1, and the Beat Em Up Bundle is a thing of beauty. I want an SNK version now, though.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
How about we settle something?

Was Ninja Combat a beat-em-up?

Yes.

Was Crossed Swords a beat-em-up?

No Crossed Swords
Yes to Ninja Combat

On a side note I've never been a big Double Dragon fan, but Super Double Dragon on SNES rocked!

Fight n Rage has already been mentioned, but I just want to chime in about how good it is.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Beat'em Ups are me and my brothers life blood. If we don't know what to play we can always count on them to have some fun. FUCK I LOVE THEM!

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Guardian Heroes!

It has a lot more RPG and fighting game mechanics than your average beat em up, the story has a "choose your own adventure" type of structure with multiple endings, and you can play as almost any character in the arena.
The Xbox 360 port is backwards compatible and greatly improves on the Saturn original. It's one of the few examples where the HD version pretty much makes the original obsolete.

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
As a SNES CIB collector this has been the one area my collection has been lacking. The only Beat 'Em Up I own is Final Fight.

I've been on the lookout for Turtles In Time and Final Fight 3. Problem is I need superb condition to be willing to buy. I've never seen a TiT in amazing condition yet. FF3 is impossible to find. The only one on EBay is a sealed copy which if I had the money I'd buy it.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
I loved 'em.

Most greats have already been shown, but let's not forger they also featured the best Sailor moon game~

and a great visual interpretation of Asterix the Gaul (even if some later stages were a let down)

aaand things like Bucky O'Hare, X-Men, or the Simpsons were a joy to play back in the days...

bulletyen

Nov 12, 2017
One of my fave genres. My love for beat 'em ups started more than thirty years ago with Double Dragon and I've never grown tired of the genre. I'm fairly certain the games I've completed most often in my life are Golden Axe and the Streets of Rage games.

A few great beat 'em ups that I haven't seen mentioned here yet:

Undercover Cops
8KkZ.gif

Double Dragon Advance
33c298a19b845e55ef7e651022667a7d.gif

Metamorphic Force
tumblr_ne9dzqwL7D1qbper1o1_400.gif

Violent Storm
tumblr_nkrml58BIR1r7sijxo1_400.gif
Such underrated (heck flat out unknown) gems! I would say Undercover Cops is not great as a game, but its gritty 80s anime aesthetics are unique. Would have loved a sequel. Double Dragon Advance is probably one of the best beat em ups ever made, love the slick weapon combat and bruce lee moveset. Too bad it's stuck on one platform. Metamorphic Force is such a visual feast, like the greatest saturday morning cartoon never made. Finally Violent storm, really energetic soundtrack, pastel palette and huge expressive sprites make for a good time.

Also check these out:
Vendetta: it's got some of the most brutal and satisfying combat ever. Lots of environmental interaction and weapons, lots of enemy variety and cool boss fights. The game mixes it up so much, the pacing is only second to streets of rage 2. Too bad the playable characters are ugly and there are some unfortunate stereotypes in there.

Zero Team 2000: The mechanics are kind of limited and repetitive, but everything about the game is just larger than life. Backgrounds are beautiful, the presentation gorgeous, and sprites just chalk full of personality.

Last edited:

PlayerReady

Oct 31, 2017
Redeemer Enhanced Edition just released on consoles, the combat is sublime!

Feels old school and has couch co-op, replaying the shit out of it.

Teepo671

Nov 1, 2017
Guam
Love em. My all time favorites are probably AvP and Turtles in Time. Aren't too many newer beat em ups on consoles that I've seen but 99 vidas was a ps plus game a while ago that was a nice surprise. Also bought bloody zombies when I saw it on a sale a while back. Pretty excited to pick up River City Girls when it releases, too.

Had no idea there was a sailor moon beat em up though. I'd love to give that a shot some day.

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
Is it a true beat em up if you do most of the murderin' with guns instead of fists? Because if so, Robocop 2 and Bucky O' Hare threw me into legit financial stress back in the day.