• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

meadowdrone

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Not played *as* much recently, but since getting a Quest (and getting the sideloaded mod going) I've had a full on renaissance. Had gone from expert+ to trying to do What the Cat, Cycle Hit and Crystallised on expert, which actually feels like a step up in difficulty even from the vanilla OST E+ difficulty. I've beaten Cycle Hit, What the Cat's ending is giving me grief and I'm so so close to beating Crystallised. It will be mine, soon.

I love playing custom songs but I feel like beating all the OST tracks on expert+ would be a good, fun goal to work towards and be a good workout, too.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, I don't think Imagine Dragons is particularly well-suited to the format. I got back and play a few songs occasionally but they are really my go-to only if I need something a bit more relaxed. The other ones are better (even if they have fewer songs).
I'm 99% sure the only reason they went for an Imagine Dragons pack first was because the first custom song was an Imagine Dragons song (and they're big video game fans). Outside of diversifying the official songs, I'm really not sure why the music packs focused on certain artists have skewed the way they have after that because Green Day and Panic at the Disco are relatively close in style. I'd think if they were trying to get more rock songs in the game, they'd go a little wider with like a metal band or something. I'm guessing it's the devs going after bands they're personally in to. Nothing wrong with that, but I do find their choice of bands for band specific packs a little odd.

Prinz Eugn

Oct 25, 2017
I'm 99% sure the only reason they went for an Imagine Dragons pack first was because the first custom song was an Imagine Dragons song (and they're big video game fans). Outside of diversifying the official songs, I'm really not sure why the music packs focused on certain artists have skewed the way they have after that because Green Day and Panic at the Disco are relatively close in style. I'd think if they were trying to get more rock songs in the game, they'd go a little wider with like a metal band or something. I'm guessing it's the devs going after bands they're personally in to. Nothing wrong with that, but I do find their choice of bands for band specific packs a little odd.

More variety would be awesome. I'm guessing licensing fees/royalties are a big part of it. I can imagine some artists/studios are still thinking about Rock Band/Guitar Hero's heyday and assuming video games == big money, and making it harder for Beat Games to get a reasonable deal.

I'm not sure what their cost model is, but if they have to put a lot of effort into develop the songs, it makes sense they will go for big Pop/Rock names that they know will sell.

Maybe those are bands that happen to hit the sweet spot of easy to work with but also Big Names?

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
More variety would be awesome. I'm guessing licensing fees/royalties are a big part of it. I can imagine some artists/studios are still thinking about Rock Band/Guitar Hero's heyday and assuming video games == big money, and making it harder for Beat Games to get a reasonable deal.

I'm not sure what their cost model is, but if they have to put a lot of effort into develop the songs, it makes sense they will go for big Pop/Rock names that they know will sell.

Maybe those are bands that happen to hit the sweet spot of easy to work with but also Big Names?
Yeah, music licensing is hell. From what little I hear about it, I do not envy anyone trying to secure those licenses.

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Not played *as* much recently, but since getting a Quest (and getting the sideloaded mod going) I've had a full on renaissance. Had gone from expert+ to trying to do What the Cat, Cycle Hit and Crystallised on expert, which actually feels like a step up in difficulty even from the vanilla OST E+ difficulty. I've beaten Cycle Hit, What the Cat's ending is giving me grief and I'm so so close to beating Crystallised. It will be mine, soon.

I love playing custom songs but I feel like beating all the OST tracks on expert+ would be a good, fun goal to work towards and be a good workout, too.
I love those songs so much. I wish I could find custom songs which hold a candle to Cycle Hit but so far no such luck.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Caved and bought the Green Day pack. Unsurprisingly the worst songs suited for it are Boulevard of Broken Dreams (this was like the first ever song I learned to play on the drums because it was so slow and simple lol) and the new one Ready Aim Fire. Father of All is actually decent to play even if the vocals and lyrics aren't that great but I'm still upset at no Basket Case or Welcome to Paradise or any of their other classics. Also thank god we can edit colors now because the default colors for the Green Day Pack and Crab Rave are so hard for me to read for some reason. And the background color for the Green Day hand grenade not being red by default is whack so of course I changed that immediately.

The 90 degree levels are a lot of fun and I hope they spend time implementing more. I'll probably get the Rocket League pack too but it's missing the few songs I really liked when I used to play so that's disappointing.

Prolly won't even bother with the Panic at the Disco pack.

And the Imagine Dragons pack isn't great but Warrior is pretty fun so eh.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
Caved and bought the Green Day pack. Unsurprisingly the worst songs suited for it are Boulevard of Broken Dreams (this was like the first ever song I learned to play on the drums because it was so slow and simple lol) and the new one Ready Aim Fire. Father of All is actually decent to play even if the vocals and lyrics aren't that great but I'm still upset at no Basket Case or Welcome to Paradise or any of their other classics. Also thank god we can edit colors now because the default colors for the Green Day Pack and Crab Rave are so hard for me to read for some reason. And the background color for the Green Day hand grenade not being red by default is whack so of course I changed that immediately.
It's almost like the licensing for the track pack went like this:

"What are the best Green Day songs?"
"Hmm... Burnout, Longview, She, and Welcome to Paradise is a must. Hitchin' a Ride could be a lot of fun in the final minute, but I think the slow burn might bore folks going for FCs. American Idiot is basically a gimme."
"How about we get one of those songs, censor it and all the rest to make the custom versions fans make inarguably better, and charge nine bucks for a middling-at-best DLC release?"
"Sounds good to me."

What annoys me most is how so many of Green Day's classics are the perfect length and intensity for Beat Saber, being really fast and short. Can you imagine how much fun it'd be to play "Burnout" on Expert Plus, slicing through blocks during the drum solo intervals?

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
It's almost like the licensing for the track pack went like this:

"What are the best Green Day songs?"
"Hmm... Burnout, Longview, She, and Welcome to Paradise is a must. Hitchin' a Ride could be a lot of fun in the final minute, but I think the slow burn might bore folks going for FCs. American Idiot is basically a gimme."
"How about we get one of those songs, censor it and all the rest to make the custom versions fans make inarguably better, and charge nine bucks for a middling-at-best DLC release?"
"Sounds good to me."

What annoys me most is how so many of Green Day's classics are the perfect length and intensity for Beat Saber, being really fast and short. Can you imagine how much fun it'd be to play "Burnout" on Expert Plus, slicing through blocks during the drum solo intervals?
I imagine a lot of this comes down to label and band input though. They have a new album out so to them this is an opportunity to market that which is why you get two songs off that album. Then American Idiot and Holiday/Boulevard are in their top 10 most played on Spotify. Can't really explain Minority over the rest. Might have been a request from the BS team.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
I imagine a lot of this comes down to label and band input though. They have a new album out so to them this is an opportunity to market that which is why you get two songs off that album. Then American Idiot and Holiday/Boulevard are in their top 10 most played on Spotify. Can't really explain Minority over the rest. Might have been a request from the BS team.
Even still, it's utterly bizarre to me that the Imagine Dragons pack is full of good picks from their discography, and the Green Day and Panic! packs are like mediocre samplers.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Even still, it's utterly bizarre to me that the Imagine Dragons pack is full of good picks from their discography, and the Green Day and Panic! packs are like mediocre samplers.
One thing I've learned from following Harmonix as long as I have is that music licensing is weird, hard, a pain in the ass, and sometimes doesn't make sense lol. It could have been a case where Imagine Dragons was like "Do whatever you want" while Green Day's team and/or label were like "You have these few to choose from" if not "These are the ones you have to use". All speculation of course but having two new songs in GD's pack screams "label involvement" to me.

Prinz Eugn

Oct 25, 2017
One thing I've learned from following Harmonix as long as I have is that music licensing is weird, hard, a pain in the ass, and sometimes doesn't make sense lol. It could have been a case where Imagine Dragons was like "Do whatever you want" while Green Day's team and/or label were like "You have these few to choose from" if not "These are the ones you have to use". All speculation of course but having two new songs in GD's pack screams "label involvement" to me.

To be fair, I would have never heard those songs if they weren't in the pack, so a win for them, I guess? Ready Fire Aim I think is okay but I don't even remember the other one off the top of my head.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, I would have never heard those songs if they weren't in the pack, so a win for them, I guess? Ready Fire Aim I think is okay but I don't even remember the other one off the top of my head.
That's what I mean. That's pretty much the idea from their perspective right? They put new songs in front of you to get you to listen to the new stuff.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Set up my VR (again) last night and bought the new Timbaland pack. I've only actually played 2 songs so far because the 3 others sound bad super cheesy even in the previews lol. It's cool musically but yeah some of the lyrics are just so fucking bad ugh.

The 2nd song is pretty solid all around though.

That being said I wish there was a difficulty in between hard and expert, I can FC hard levels while sight reading without sweat but then some expert levels just completely murder me.

Something like the Camellia(sp?) Songs on hard are a nice happy medium.

Last edited:

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Set up my VR last night and bought the new Timbaland pack. I've only actually played 2 songs so far because the 3 others sound bad super cheesy even in the previews lol. It's cool musically but yeah some of the lyrics are just so fucking bad ugh.

The 2nd song is pretty solid all around though.

That being said I wish there was a difficulty in between hard and expert, I can FC hard levels while sight reading without sweat but then some expert levels just completely murder me.

Something like the Camellia(sp?) Songs on hard are a nice happy medium.
It's weird. I totally felt the same and then one day something clicked and I can sight read through just about any Expert song now. I think part of it is a bit of inconsistency between different songs. Rock Band for instance has a rule book telling you specifically what you can or can't do with note placement on different difficulties, but I don't really see that consistency here with official songs (let alone custom ones). Like those Camellia songs you mentioned are pretty obviously shifted about one "+" up from what they're actually labelled.

Drakken

Oct 28, 2017
Really late to the party here, but I've been getting back into Beat Saber after (unintentionally) taking a few months off, and boy, I am absolutely loving the Rocket League pack. Fun, high energy stuff with lots of syncopation / interesting rhythms. Shiawase has quickly become one of my favorites; that section starting at 2:08 feels so good / intense.

Glad to be playing again. Gonna try to inject this into my workout routine a couple times a week going forward.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
Been playing on PSVR forever (have so many hours in) and double dipped on the PC version after getting an Index last week. I'm messing around with custom songs and I'm finding that like 80% of the custom songs work and the other 20% just go to a black screen.

The weird thing is I can't find a single result on google searching about this issue. Everything I find on custom songs seem to make it like it should be all or nothing. Either all your custom songs work or none (usually after an update). I can't find anything about individual songs needing updated versions or anything, so I don't understand why some songs aren't working -_-

Otherwise it sure looks nicer and feels smoother and more accurate on the Index (though it was fine enough playing on PSVR), but the one thing I miss from PSVR is the haptic rumble is sooooooooo much weaker in Index. The satisfying rumble feel of a good connect hit on PSVR was one of the my favorite bits of Beat Saber. Just felt so good hitting notes and that's almost completely gone with the Index controllers. I wonder if there's a way to boost the haptic rumble on the Index controller to get closer to that.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Been playing on PSVR forever (have so many hours in) and double dipped on the PC version after getting an Index last week. I'm messing around with custom songs and I'm finding that like 80% of the custom songs work and the other 20% just go to a black screen.

The weird thing is I can't find a single result on google searching about this issue. Everything I find on custom songs seem to make it like it should be all or nothing. Either all your custom songs work or none (usually after an update). I can't find anything about individual songs needing updated versions or anything, so I don't understand why some songs aren't working -_-

Otherwise it sure looks nicer and feels smoother and more accurate on the Index (though it was fine enough playing on PSVR), but the one thing I miss from PSVR is the haptic rumble is sooooooooo much weaker in Index. The satisfying rumble feel of a good connect hit on PSVR was one of the my favorite bits of Beat Saber. Just felt so good hitting notes and that's almost completely gone with the Index controllers. I wonder if there's a way to boost the haptic rumble on the Index controller to get closer to that.
How are you installing the songs? As far as haptic, there's a mod called RumbleMod that you can install with the Mod Assistant tool from bsaber.com. It allows you to adjust haptics.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017

Some songs have custom extensions that won't work unless you install them (that's how the songs with crazy walls are made). If you use Mod Assistant, you'll want the Mapping Extension mod. Though usually they just don't launch for me if the mod isn't installed instead of going to black so not sure if that's the issue.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
Some songs have custom extensions that won't work unless you install them (that's how the songs with crazy walls are made). If you use Mod Assistant, you'll want the Mapping Extension mod. Though usually they just don't launch for me if the mod isn't installed instead of going to black so not sure if that's the issue.

Yeah, it sounds like this is probably it.

I just used this guide:

-Installed mod assistant and the default mods
-Go in game to get more songs and download
-play custom levels and about 20% go to a black screen and I have to quit out

Sounds like I need to add more than the default mods to get these to work. Will try that today. Thanks!

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
How are you installing the songs? As far as haptic, there's a mod called RumbleMod that you can install with the Mod Assistant tool from bsaber.com. It allows you to adjust haptics.

Thanks, installing the custom walls/notes fixed the broken songs so now everything works!

I installed rumble mod and in the rumble mod settings I can feel the increase but it doesn't work in the levels. There's some note on the settings that may only work on Oculus or something.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
What is Scoresaber? Some songs are under scoresaber but I don't see any difference when I play them?

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
New update coming next week, no new songs but lots of 360/90/one handed updated songs!

9 songs with normal, expert and expert + for one saber mode! Cool! (finally!)

edit. song list:

Keep Groovin’: 46 New Maps Coming Soon to ‘Beat Saber’ in Free Update

Since launch, Beat Saber has grown through poppin’ fresh content from an ever-expanding lineup of musicians and artists. The player community itself has seen explosive growth, and the Beat Games is continually looking for ways to build upon the core experience for all players. Listening to...

New 360° and 90° Maps

Expert +
Rattlesnake, Rogue
Reason For Living, Morgan Page
PopStars, K/DA
Rum 'N Bass, Boom Kitty

Expert
Escape, Jaroslav Beck
Fire, Ready, Aim, Green Day
Digital, Imagine Dragons

Hard
Has a Meaning, Timbaland
The Greatest Show, Panic! At The Disco
Luv U Need U, Slushii

New One Saber Maps

Expert +, Expert, Normal
Unlimited Power, Jaroslav Beck, Frank Bentley [No Expert]
This Time, Kayzo
Believer, Imagine Dragons
High Hopes, Panic! At The Disco
PLAY, Tokyo Machine
American Idiot, Green Day
While We're Young, Timbaland
Origins, Jaroslav Beck/Jan Ilavsky
Reason For Living, Morgan Page

Beat Saber continues to dominate the VR gaming charts and has gone Double-Platinum, selling over 2 million copies worldwide across all VR platforms

leverpastej

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
probably not? The real question is can you wait! I love this game so much I day one any dlc even if I'm not initially crazy over the genre/artist but I've always been pleasantly surprised to find at least one amazing track/map that's worth the price of admission

You are absolutely right, and who am i trying to fool? I just bought all the dlc xD

I love everything about this game and i have no regrets supporting the devs.

I am hoping for some more awsome EDM in the future.

Joshua

Oct 27, 2017
Using Beat Saber on my Quest almost daily to fill in my move rings on my Apple Watch.

I've got Vol 1, 2, and 3 down on Expert.

Anyone have tips for making the jump to Expert+? Even if I turn on 'slow' and 'no fail' I do absolutely awful. Expert feels perfectly tuned for me but it would be a bummer if I can't make jump to next difficulty.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Using Beat Saber on my Quest almost daily to fill in my move rings on my Apple Watch.

I've got Vol 1, 2, and 3 down on Expert.

Anyone have tips for making the jump to Expert+? Even if I turn on 'slow' and 'no fail' I do absolutely awful. Expert feels perfectly tuned for me but it would be a bummer if I can't make jump to next difficulty.
Try expert on fast. Find an expert+ song you like at a nice slow tempo and just start working it with no fail. Figure out which sections challenge you and do just those sections in the practice mode on slow speed, like 50%. Gradually increase their speed until you can play them at full speed then put the piece together and play it normally. Do this over and over with new songs. Soon expert+ because just like expert was. Some songs may remain out of your reach for a long time or forever. Don't sweat it. Most of the stuff in-game is very attainable

EDIT: didn't realize how old your post was :P

OP
OP
Arthands

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Here's the full announcement

Rock Out: ‘Beat Saber’ Announces Linkin Park Music Pack, Biggest Music Release Yet

Prepare to shred in the biggest Beat Saber music pack ever! We’re thrilled to announce the Linkin Park Music Pack, an iconic collection of tracks from the Grammy Award-winning group. The Linkin Park Music Pack is available today on Oculus Quest and the Rift Platform.

Since its record-breaking debut, Beat Saber has continued to grow through new music packs, feature updates, and amazing feedback from the player community. Today, we're thrilled to expand the Beat Saber experience further with the Linkin Park Music Pack. The latest addition is the game's biggest music pack release yet, delivering 11 iconic tracks from Linkin Park's most popular albums Meteora, Hybrid Theory, and Minutes to Midnight. Players can jam to individual songs for USD 1.99 per song, or experience the complete pack for USD 13.99.

In addition to 11 new songs — 55 total beat maps — the Linkin Park Music Pack also delivers a new environment sure to bring out your inner rockstar: the first-ever enclosed play area with a new, four-color lighting scheme!

Olinad

Oct 30, 2017
YES.
I would have loved more recent tracks too, but if that leaves the door open for a second pack I'm all for it :D

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Since this hasn't been posted here yet, you guys need to see this track:
www.youtube.com

This Beat Saber map will BLOW YOUR MIND

This modchart is part of the "Extra Sensory" event, so more kinds of these amazing maps will be releasing over the next weeks. Big thanks to Reaxt for lettin...

So many unique effects and tricks. It's a Beat Saber map on acid.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Since this hasn't been posted here yet, you guys need to see this track:
www.youtube.com

This Beat Saber map will BLOW YOUR MIND

This modchart is part of the "Extra Sensory" event, so more kinds of these amazing maps will be releasing over the next weeks. Big thanks to Reaxt for lettin...

So many unique effects and tricks. It's a Beat Saber map on acid.
Here's another one. The new extra sensory mapping tools are fucking wild.

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Oh man, that changing FOV in the first video seems like it would make me sick! But otherwise what an awesome map.

I assume only the PC version can do those custom maps, not the Quest?

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
Quick question. My favorite Beat Saber mod was the one that showed you how far into a song you were and what your estimated score rank (and highest and best previous score on the bottom and right side of the screen respectively.

Since the last update with the Lincoln Park pack that broke all mods as normal with major patches, it seems like within a few days all the mods were back working again in ModAssistant, but...I can't find that one. It's been a couple weeks now and I've tried installing like every mod on ModAssistant and I can't find that one and it's made me lose interest in trying to beat my previous scores.

Does anyone know what that mod was called?

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Okay, multiplayer is massive fun, but there are some severe problems with it IMHO that need to be sorted out:

1. The imbalance in the difficulty of some songs leads to some people picking always the hardest songs. Mainly from the Crystalized song list. There are some songs that are way, way harder than the rest of the songs and this leads to most players - except those who voted the song obviously - can't finish the song. You might now say "git gud", but the songs should simply be balanced better. Ghost, for example, is even on hard harder than most songs on expert. The expert version of Ghost is easily as hard as some expert+ songs and too hard for many players.

2. Which leads to my second big gripe with the multiplayer-mode: Just let me finish the song, even when I fail. There is nothing more boring and discouraging than putting me in that shitty spectator mode. It's about high scores anyway, so when I suck at a song just let me finish and train it instead of blocking me from playing.

3. And this leads to another problem: No host migration. Host leaves the game, game ends. Fun.

Oct 26, 2017
New update has completely broken this for me on psvr. It's changed my height and it refuses to change anything when I try to on the options. It's unplayable.

Erigu

Nov 4, 2017
New update has completely broken this for me on psvr. It's changed my height and it refuses to change anything when I try to on the options. It's unplayable.
Not to mention the new UI is just plain worse (guess selecting icons with a laser dot and a laser beam was just too convenient... oh, and let's put your highscore on another panel entirely when you select a track for no apparent reason), the new tracks are meh, the timing of the notes feel weirdly off to me (?), and there are fucking Miis floating around while you play oh wow exactly what I wanted thanks.

Anarion07

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Has anyone checked on PS4 what the newest update does? 1.40, PS5 doesnt show the update history anymore :( And I can't find anything online