• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vorador

Oct 28, 2017
I've decided to play all custom songs at first without life bar to get an idea of the difficulty, because songs are either too easy or too hard.

meph

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Just picked this up based on the videos alone, but is there a greatest hits list so far of the custom tracks? The page itself hosting everything doesn't have the most reliable system of viewing or sorting them.

Deleted member 18347

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I come back after a small break and this is what the community is doing

anyone try this song? looks pretty intimidating lol

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
I've seen songs that have "Expert+" and out of order difficulty buttons where hard is at the bottom and expert above it... don't make this too messy folks!

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
Everytime I play the BoneyM-Rasputin Song my controller starts vibrating after the crouching part in the middle of the song and it only stops after the song is over lol

I'm not sure but I have the feeling that this was done intentionally by the beatmap creator.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Everytime I play the BoneyM-Rasputin Song my controller starts vibrating after the crouching part in the middle of the song and it only stops after the song is over lol

I'm not sure but I have the feeling that this was done intentionally by the beatmap creator.
It's a bug that I believe was introduced in the last update. I thiiink it has something to do with putting your lightsaber beat saber in the red walls when the wall is set up as multiple consecutive walls instead of one single block. Just something I heard though so might not be true. I know it happens to me a lot lately too.

Almeister

Oct 25, 2017
I wish there was an 'ignite saber' button. You press it to start a song and then it stops being a button.

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
It's a bug that I believe was introduced in the last update. I thiiink it has something to do with putting your lightsaber beat saber in the red walls when the wall is set up as multiple consecutive walls instead of one single block. Just something I heard though so might not be true. I know it happens to me a lot lately too.

Ah, ok that makes more sense :)

DSN2K

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I literally love this game but I've found most of the custom song just too hard to the point where I had to turn off fail mode or I wouldn't even get 30s into a song. Really wish more would do different levels besides Hard and Expert.

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
I'm going slowly through custom songs loooking for beatmaps that work well with the song they are build around and there is a lot of beatmaps that just don't feel good to play, my very small list of personal favs (mostly expert and hard):

1. Wilkinson - Decompression (my favorite)
2. Rasputin - BonyM
3. Die Young - Kesha
4. Kaskade - Never Sleep Alone
5. Gimme Chocolate - Babymetal
6. Better Off Alone - Alice DJ
7. I wanna go - Brittney Spears
8. FinkUFreeky - Die Antwoord
9. So What - Pink
10. Infected - Nightcore
11. Miku Hatsune - Ievan Polkka (VSNS Remix)

Taste in music aside, I found those beatmaps to work pretty well.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going slowly through custom songs loooking for beatmaps that work well with the song they are build around and there is a lot of beatmaps that just don't feel good to play, my very small list of personal favs (mostly expert and hard):

2. Rasputin - BonyM
3. Die Young - Kesha
9. So What - Pink
10. Infected - Nightcore

Gimme chocolate was absolutely horrible in my opinion, like one of the worst customs I've seen. Didn't match the music at all, it was such a let down since I love the band.

Deleted member 18347

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

2. Rasputin - BonyM
3. Die Young - Kesha
9. So What - Pink
10. Infected - Nightcore

Gonna try these later. We definitely need a list of good beatmaps, because some of them are much more fun than any of the official tracks and do interesting stuff with the assets more than HM themselves.

Just finished my 3rd beat map. Expert, Hard, and Normal difficulties included.

bo en - Miss You

Should give this one a go once I get back on that shit.

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
Gimme chocolate was absolutely horrible in my opinion, like one of the worst customs I've seen. Didn't match the music at all, it was such a let down since I love the band.

I maybe was a bit quick on that one, after playing it again I want to agree with you but only because it only uses non directional blocks and has large holes that don't fit the song... I'm actually ok with the mapping itself, it's like a different melody inside the song. I can understand that this is not what most people want out of the game but I'm often ok with things like that as long I think it fits in some way.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
So I went through a bunch of the custom songs I have at the moment and figured I'd highlight a few of the ones I really like. First things first is that if there's a song you really like, pay attention to the author because they likely have more songs. Just search their name in BeatSaver and their other stuff should come up. Generally anything from Freeek, or Rustic is really good. Freeek is easily the most popular author right now, pretty prolific, and he includes all difficulties so that's a good start. I also personally like BennyDaBeast. I've left everything from those 3 authors out of this list because you should just download all of their stuff and I want to keep this a bit concise. With that said...

Favorites at the Moment:

Honorable Mentions:

I'll also throw in the tracks I've authored so far which include Expert, Hard, and Normal difficulties ;)

Alo81

Oct 27, 2017
Man it took me like 45 seconds before I could figure out why that song was so familiar. When I finally did I said out loud "Whats good internet!"

OP
OP
Arthands

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just had a go with some modded songs and modded sabers. Hoping to see some nice looking avatar in the future

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
Yup I did that. I see lots of interesting looking sabers in the discord channel.

Just set up my avatar and 3rd person view, but the avatar always disappear when the song starts for some reason it seems.

I've tried some of em... really cool looking stuff and some change the feeling of the game for me as I try to rotate the "edge" of some swords into the swinging direction, which makes no difference for the game lol

Even the giant skullaxe is absolutely playable.

But I think I need to update the mod as I can't scroll down in the saber menu, I only have 5-6 sabers at once on the screen and there is no scrolling arrow, can you scroll down in that menu? (I think I'm on 1.3 Beatsaber Mod Installer and there is already 1.4)

OP
OP
Arthands

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
yah, I can't scroll the saber menu too, I have no idea and I thought I screw up somewhere. I'll have to check discord when I have time to see if there's any update. My customsaber.dll file in the plugins folder was last modified on 23rd May

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
I got this game yesterday and I'm really enjoying it. Wish there were more songs and more to the game but I understand it's in early access. Playing Gangnam Style in this might have been the most fun four minutes of VR I've ever experienced. The way the mapping essentially forces you to do the dance from the video is amazing.

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
This game already has a no arrows mode—I really wish it had a "no color" mode, where you could hit any block with any saber. Would be good for practice if nothing else.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Just put out a new beat map. Someone on Youtube gave me the idea and I couldn't get it out of my head lol. I was laughing so hard charting the last part:

Kanye West - Lift Yourself (aka that WOOP DE SCOOP song)

Beat Saver Link: https://beatsaver.com/details.php?id=1620

I'd also like a "no walls" mode for when I don't feel like bending over or squatting so often.
Pretty sure there's a mod/plugin that takes out all walls and bombs. Check around the Discord.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
Just put out a new beat map. Someone on Youtube gave me the idea and I couldn't get it out of my head lol. I was laughing so hard charting the last part:

Pretty sure there's a mod/plugin that takes out all walls and bombs. Check around the Discord.

I'll check it out, thanks. I think eventually they should just have a lot of customization built into the game so you can play exactly how you want it. Outside of missions or leaderboards there's no reason you'd have to play a certain way.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
I'll check it out, thanks. I think eventually they should just have a lot of customization built into the game so you can play exactly how you want it. Outside of missions or leaderboards there's no reason you'd have to play a certain way.
Yep. I imagine all these mods are giving them ideas on what to include before coming out of early access.

Alo81

Oct 27, 2017
Alo81 helped me decide on doing Kanye for my next beat map. Just uploaded it to BeatSaver.

30 sec preview (since I couldn't upload the whole song to Youtube):

Your Lift Yourself is WAY BETTER than the other ones people have mapped. I started watching, and stopped before Ye's "verse" starts because I need to see that in game haha.

Downloading these right now to try. HYPED.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
This game already has a no arrows mode—I really wish it had a "no color" mode, where you could hit any block with any saber. Would be good for practice if nothing else.
Just saw a one color mod go up on the Discord. Go check that out.

Your Lift Yourself is WAY BETTER than the other ones people have mapped. I started watching, and stopped before Ye's "verse" starts because I need to see that in game haha.

Downloading these right now to try. HYPED.
Thanks! I appreciate it.

drb

Oct 28, 2017
At last I got through 'Through the Fire and Flames' on expert. One thing that helped a lot was, at least on the Vive controllers, an alternative grip method which made it easier to hit the notes faster. Also got rid of constantly hitting the menu button all the time.
ef18655f6a05bd98989eb8b1a04d4fb9.png

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
At last I got through 'Through the Fire and Flames' on expert. One thing that helped a lot was, at least on the Vive controllers, an alternative grip method which made it easier to hit the notes faster. Also got rid of constantly hitting the menu button all the time.

Ha, I thought I was the only one doing this, but I actually alternate my grip quite a bit. Sometimes I twist the controller so the rounded underside is in the palm of my hand and I rest my thump in the ridge ot the touchpad and I'm pressing the grip buttons without using any force (this feels the most like an actual swordhandle... from the perspective of someone that never held a real sword in his hands lol). And sometimes I just hold it regulary standard even with my index finger on the trigger.
In audioshield and BoxVR I grab the controller right under the sensor disc and hook my thump into the top hole (blush).

I sometimes whish we could be able to completely switch the direction of whatever the controller represents in a game so I could hold it the other way around, just to get a completely different feel. In an early version of Brookhaven Experiment I was switching up the flashlight that way, sometimes holding it like a cop searching rooms.

I sometimes like to bounce weapons in my hand in VR (havin the wristwraps attached), tiliting them etc... it makes VR more immersive to me as if I really have the actual object in my hand.

Last edited:

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
I just straight up disable the dashboard when I want to play Beat Saber because I can't help but accidentally hit that button lol

drb

Oct 28, 2017
Ha, I thought I was the only one doing this, but I actually alternate my grip quite a bit. Sometimes I twist the controller so the rounded underside is in the palm of my hand and I rest my thump in the ridge ot the touchpad and I'm pressing the grip buttons without using any force (this feels the most like an actual swordhandle... from the perspective of someone that never held a real sword in his hands lol). And sometimes I just hold it regulary standard even with my index finger on the trigger.
In audioshield and BoxVR I grab the controller right under the sensor disc and hook my thump into the top hole (blush).

I sometimes whish we could be able to completely switch the direction of whatever the controller represents in a game so I could hold it the other way around, just to get a completely different feel. In an early version of Brookhaven Experiment I was switching up the flashlight that way, sometimes holding it like a cop searching rooms.

I sometimes like to bounce weapons in my hand in VR (havin the wristwraps attached), tiliting them etc... it makes VR more immersive to me as if I really have the actual object in my hand.

It does add to the immersion if you're able to replicate the feeling of whatever you're holding. Right now the Rift controllers looks better for general movement, but the Vive controller is a little better in replicating the objects you're usually holding in VR, like a flashlight or a gun.

Deleted member 22585

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
Finally had some time to jump into the game for real. Hard is definitely the way to go, normal is a Wasteland. Really enjoying the game.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Did a new custom beat map: Phil Collins - In the Air Tonight

Was a pain to chart though haha. The BPM is variable which I didn't realize for a long time. Kept wondering why the basic notes I was putting down were too fast towards the beginning of the song and yet too slow by the end -__- Once I realized what was going on, I had to manually adjust each note by tiny increments to get them in the right time. Was worth it though.

Deleted member 22585

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
Did a new custom beat map: Phil Collins - In the Air Tonight

Was a pain to chart though haha. The BPM is variable which I didn't realize for a long time. Kept wondering why the basic notes I was putting down were too fast towards the beginning of the song and yet too slow by the end -__- Once I realized what was going on, I had to manually adjust each note by tiny increments to get them in the right time. Was worth it though.

Wowser. Amazon wir!

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Beast Saber is a new website that launched with the focus of reviewing custom songs. They have vetted dedicated "Curators" as well as user reviews. Still early days of the site and all the features aren't live yet, but the site is surprisingly slick.

o52D5cw.jpg

cakefoo

Nov 2, 2017
It's really cool to see all the dedicated community websites spawned from this game. Reminds me of the LittleBigPlanet days.

kiriku

Oct 27, 2017
I got back into Beat Saber again after taking a break, going through the custom songs. So many cool patterns, at this point it's like my body moves automatically, then my brain going "huh, they're making me do this particular dance move here, cool!"
Only downside is I get so sweaty in the headset, good thing I bought those washable vr covers!