• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Days of Heaven
tumblr_lb6q15ym061qawgyho1_500.gif

8bVi.gif

Badlands
source.gif

Moonrise Kingdom
giphy.gif

tumblr_ouudsovl3C1wsqkxdo1_500.gif

Seven
aWhqmsK.gif

The City of Lost Children
b0fbe4d6e1732ca1efe544fb58eb8e69.gif
That doesn't help much lol

Not my images but see my quote above. I think I got most of them right. The top image under Moonrise Kingdom might be a different Wes Anderson movie but I don't have time to search.

Last edited:

Retropug

Oct 25, 2017
Not my images but see my quote above. I think I got most of them right. The top image under Moonrise Kingdom might be a different Wes Anderson movie but I don't have time to search.

Thanks, I couldn't guess any of these and I have actually seen them all. I don't understand why people think everyone will remember every tiny 1 sec gif from a popular movie.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The new Susperia is wonderful to look at but sucks otherwise... kinda like The Ten Commandments.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The big difference is Technicolour - it created a much more vibrant palette than even most of the modern examples above, but fell out of favour after the 1960s. If you want a modern film shot in that specific style, I'd recommend The Love Witch (2016):
1*eLDf9QZm4zoUE7ofay7xvw.jpeg

10-love-witch-01.nocrop.w312.h338.2x.jpg
Came to post this. Absolutely beautiful film.
The whole thing looks amazing.

Also, Mandy, and The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford. Not great looking films. OP is insane.

MrChom

Oct 26, 2017
The Neon Demon (for all the faults people find with its plot) is a film made for the big screen. Pretty much anything by Wes Anderson relies on movement and colour to have the impact it does. How about Kubo and the Two Strings (or pretty much anything Studio Laika puts out)? Maybe Scott Pilgrim? Hell, let's even go for Tron 2!

They're not the huge epics of times gone by....but what they are is great looking movies with colour, art direction, and some gorgeous shots that aren't exactly what you might usually find.

I can sort of see where issues with colour grading in the modern day might be creating some problems in a samey overall look of movies (such as the infamous orange and teal issue), but there's still plenty of films where the cast and crew aim for an entirely different look.

papermoon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
God sometimes I forget how much I love movies.

Happy to see scenes from "Days of Heaven" in here.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Lawrence of Arabia is the GOAT for 'They don't make them like that anymore.'

There's a handful of movies that are made like that, but not many. Even though I didn't like it, I'd say There Will be Blood is 'made like that,' in terms of really beautiful, telling shots. But, unlike Lawrence, I feel like the movie doesn't ever go anywhere, where as Lawrence has some of the most striking shots of any movie, ever, but it's also a terrific epic story.

can I add 2d animation? Prince of Egypt springs to mind:

tumblr_oo5jwlyGhR1t4n65oo2_r1_500.gif

The Secret of Nymh was wonderfully dark and the animation was 10/10

NIMH-01.png

NIMH-02.jpg

mDXi77U.jpg

Wow, my childhood right here. Secret of Nimh is one of those movies you watch as a kid that you'll probably never get made anymore... Just really dark and enchanting, but your parents just thought it was another cartoon so whatever, meanwhile it had this fucking terrifying and sad narrative.

When I was playing Ori & the Blind Forest a couple of years back, I was struck by how it felt influenced by the artistic style of Secrets of Nimh.

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
Ive already harped on it at length but Hara-kiri may not only be my favorite movie but one of the most gorgeous films ever made.

Please watch this movie with as little as information possible, but also, just look at this.

"I recommend going into this movie blind but first watch the climactic scene"

wat

I do second the recommendation. One of the best films ever made.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Thanks. Only one I've seen is Seven and no way in hell I'd remember a blurry photo of a gun as some special shot from it.

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
Thanks for not labeling any of these.
I don't understand threads like these where people take the time to find images and gifs, but don't label them. I mean, I guess I do get it, but it's obnoxious.
My bad was at work and thought my last edit was posted with titles

Kill3r7 got them right

MysteryM

Oct 28, 2017
Plenty of good looking movies, but one I rewatched recently was Open Range. The cinematogray is first class. The road to perdition is another good looking movie.

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
The big difference is Technicolour - it created a much more vibrant palette than even most of the modern examples above, but fell out of favour after the 1960s. If you want a modern film shot in that specific style, I'd recommend The Love Witch (2016):
1*eLDf9QZm4zoUE7ofay7xvw.jpeg

10-love-witch-01.nocrop.w312.h338.2x.jpg
Jesus Christ, can we please trade the awful filter every modern movie has for this one?

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno. Bladerunner 2049 is the prettiest film I've ever watched.
I was about to post this.

Also it is easy to overrate how good movies used to be because we only remember and focus on the all time classics.

One thing movies used to have that they no longer have are the absolutely epic set pieces. Some of those movies would have seemingly 20,000 extras on screen for a battle. CG has mostly replaced that and in general it is still not as good as the real thing.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
There are great looking films released every single year and have been for the last century. Can we not do this "New things not like old thing, old thing good!" routine for absolutely everything?

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus Christ, can we please trade the awful filter every modern movie has for this one?

Technicolor was not a filter. You had to shoot with specific cameras and in a controlled environments which pissed off directors who wanted freedom to shoot. Also, it was absurdly expensive.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
I don't have cool gifs but I find The Fall (2006) is super overlooked in threads like these. 100% worth a view for some amazing use of color.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Label your pics/gifs, folks! These threads are gold mines for film fans, but not without labels!

Road to Perition - the last film from the god of cinematography, Conrad Hall

tumblr_m8mh6kLmav1r1t3nxo1_500.gif

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
There are tons of beautiful recent movies*, but it's probably true that modern blockbuster studio films are generally (not as a rule) uglier than the old studio system films.

*(Suspiria, Roma, The Favourite, Into The Spider-Verse, Mandy, If Beale Street Could Talk, You Were Never Really Here. etc etc)

Syranth

Oct 28, 2017
Came here for this and was not disappointed. One of my favorite movies. It doesn't apply to my next comment though.

The problem isn't that movies aren't as beautiful anymore it's that we too heavily rely on CGI and doctoring to make a beautiful scene. Our eyes aren't impressed with that as much as the real thing.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
I just watched the original Ben-Hur and Lawrence of Arabia this past week.

Currently working my way through the "150 best movies all time" list I have.

I didn't even mind the nearly 4 hour run times.

Cozmo

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I agree that movies don't look like that anymore (thought of that when watching Papillion the other week) but there are still a lot of beautiful and colorful movies coming out every year (as shown in this thread).

Check out Samsara. It's more of a non-narrative documentary than a movie but I highly recommend it.

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
Guys, isn't OP talking specifically about color?

Anyways, OP if you're looking for answer and it's simple. Technicolor.

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
I wrote an entire paper for a film class about mise-en-scene in The Fountain. I think it's one of the most beautiful films ever made.

images-w1400.jpg

the-fountain-original.jpg

vague-visages-we-failed-this-film-the-fountain-four.jpg

vague-visages-we-failed-this-film-the-fountain-three.jpg

fountain-1-1140x641.png

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
...watch more movies? If you're talking about a specific film look, like technicolor, that's understandable, but there is a multitude of colorful, beautiful movies made every year.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Mad Max: Fury Road has one of the most vibrant colour pallets ever, and that was only a few years ago.

668BAVb.jpg

wNq08QN.jpg

ymAFf6c.jpg