• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Recently watched The 10 Commandments (1956) and Around the World in 80 Days (1956), and damn are they nice to look at. Just beautiful scenery and everything.

Reminds me of people talking about stuff like particle effects vs cgi (See The Thing and its prequel). You can see the difference.

Why arent movies this colorful anymore?

Any more films that nice to look at?

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
The 10 Commandments sucks. Bunch of excess with the laziest possible screenwriting ever.

I am all for the original Spartacus (1960) though and Ben Hur though. That beautiful goddamn score from Alex North in Spartacus still makes me cry.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Roma came out this year. Go watch Roma. It doesn't even need color to astoundingly beautiful. A feast for the eyes.

TheTyrant

Nov 27, 2018
Yeah everything went downhill after Barry Lyndon. But on a serious note there are plenty of beautiful movies coming out every year, so I don't really agree.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They tried harder when there was less to work with. Innovation derives from struggle against obstacles.

Antagon

Nov 4, 2017
Reminds me that I still need to watch Barry Lyndon.

tenor.gif

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Ive already harped on it at length but Hara-kiri may not only be my favorite movie but one of the most gorgeous films ever made.

Please watch this movie with as little as information possible, but also, just look at this.

Eddman

Oct 27, 2017
Mexico
It's B/W, but I also recommend Roma. Some people found it boring (I did like it) but almost everyone agrees it is beautiful to look at.

DopeToast

Oct 27, 2017
I think movies still look good. but if you want to see great color, watch West Side Story. I saw a digital presentation in theaters last summer (complete with overture and intermission), and it looked fucking awesome.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Recently watched The 10 Commandments (1956) and Around the World in 80 Days (1956), and damn are they nice to look at. Just beautiful scenery and everything.

Reminds me of people talking about stuff like particle effects vs cgi (See The Thing and its prequel). You can see the difference.

Why arent movies this colorful anymore?

Any more films that nice to look at?

You want to watch the original Dario Argento's Suspiria (the new one does away with all of this color in favor of a more normal "70's" style drab and dreary color tone to the movie), it's a great technicolor horror film from the 70's that is just drop dead gorgeous. Make sure if you see it you watch the newer blu ray release from Synapse (this one: https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Suspiria-Blu-ray/197731/) they remastered the movie from a new 4k print and it's the best it's ever looked. Also if you have a surround sound system the new 4.0 track (first time it's been released on home video, it was originally shown with in theaters that supported that back then) is a great surround sound track, better then the 5.1 audio track that's no where near as dynamic.
VfVTKVr.gif

giphy.gif

Also Ridley Scott's Legend is another quite visually stunning film imo,
KQTlPeE.gif

qHydQYC.gif

Also there's of course movies like Lawrence of Arabia, which is jawdropping, especially the large scenes and of course the origial Ben-Hur.

azeke

Oct 30, 2017
Astana, Kazakhstan
Life of Pi came out merely 7 years ago.

Also Tarsem Singh's movies while uneven in script are undeniably visual fests if nothing else.

Also -- Wes Anderson.

Xagarath

Oct 28, 2017
North-East England
The big difference is Technicolour - it created a much more vibrant palette than even most of the modern examples above, but fell out of favour after the 1960s. If you want a modern film shot in that specific style, I'd recommend The Love Witch (2016):
1*eLDf9QZm4zoUE7ofay7xvw.jpeg

10-love-witch-01.nocrop.w312.h338.2x.jpg

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
It's B/W, but I also recommend Roma. Some people found it boring (I did like it) but almost everyone agrees it is beautiful to look at.

Cold War looked great as well in a different way with its academy ratio.

In the mood for love is the prettiest film for me along with Lawrence of Arabia.

cheese toast

Oct 29, 2017
The big difference is Technicolour - it created a much more vibrant palette than even most of the modern examples above, but fell out of favour after the 1960s. If you want a modern film shot in that specific style, I'd recommend The Love Witch (2016):
1*eLDf9QZm4zoUE7ofay7xvw.jpeg

10-love-witch-01.nocrop.w312.h338.2x.jpg
Oh wow, that Technicolor look is wonderful. Thank you for this.

hendersonhank

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I understand what OP is saying. There's something about the Technicolor classics, the rich range of colors. There are plenty of beautiful movies in this thread but most have that stylized and/or processed look, rather than that kind of boosted naturalness of Technicolor movies -- Wizard of Oz, all the Charlton Hestons (El Cid, The Agony & the Ecstasy, etc), Sound of Music, that kind of thing.

TheStebe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
London
can I add 2d animation? Prince of Egypt springs to mind:

tumblr_oo5jwlyGhR1t4n65oo2_r1_500.gif

The Secret of Nymh was wonderfully dark and the animation was 10/10

NIMH-01.png

NIMH-02.jpg

mDXi77U.jpg

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Dude.... there are hundreds of movies coming out every year that aren't the kind you'd see in a pricey, big movie theatres. You will never find the best movies that easily, they don't show next to Infinity War or whatever.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
watch more movies op.

There are PLENTY.

Even just taking into account high profile movies.

Pacific Rim
Passengers
Ready Player One
Ghost in the Shell
Blade Runner 2049
Ex Machine

All beautiful

Last edited:

Bjomesphat

Nov 5, 2017
Always loved the editing and macrophotography in Requiem for a Dream
ezgif-com-video-to-gif-19.gif

The Fountain
1iaoKgu.gif

The Holy Mountain
r2.gif

Koyaanisqatsi
1*VlCRv2JkjB6BGwgKnFz45Q.gif

Mad Max Fury Road
WGtl.gif

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Roma is a beautiful movie

Just by watching the trailers I was expecting a good but very standard indie movie, but when I watched the movie I was pleasently surprised to see the extents that the director went to recreate mexican life in the 70's