• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kendrid

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
So just to update - I did end up getting a home brew kit! Got a really nice kit that seems to have all the essentials. Got a kit to make a Kolsch, which I'm going to do this weekend. Then on Big Brew Day, I'll be back to get ingredients for another (probably an IPA).

I went to a brewery after, and all the people that worked there were really nice and gave me all kinds of great advice. Two of the most consistent pieces of advice I got were:

1. Get a turkey fryer. They said it's much better for beer making than using a stove. So now I'm doing research into the right kind.
2. After I make my first batch, if I really do enjoy it, never get bottles again and switch to using a keg. They said it's much less work for cleaning.

If you are going to do all grain, I highly recommend the Mash and Boil or another electric brewer. I have been homebrewing for about ten years and just last year I purchased the Mash and Boil and my beers have been substantially better. Before the M&B I was using a cooler for the mash and it is very difficult to hit and keep the proper temperature. With the electric brewers you set it and it keeps the temperature.

Another awesome benefit of the M&B is that it is silent. Propane brewing is really loud and it always annoyed me.

In regards to kegging, I just bought my first keg and CO2 system a few months ago. IMO wait at least a year to be sure you are really into homebrewing and are going to continue to brew. If you buy and electric brewer and decide brewing isn't for you, you should be able to easily resell it locally.

VileZero

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Maryland/DC
If you are going to do all grain, I highly recommend the Mash and Boil or another electric brewer. I have been homebrewing for about ten years and just last year I purchased the Mash and Boil and my beers have been substantially better. Before the M&B I was using a cooler for the mash and it is very difficult to hit and keep the proper temperature. With the electric brewers you set it and it keeps the temperature.

Another awesome benefit of the M&B is that it is silent. Propane brewing is really loud and it always annoyed me.

In regards to kegging, I just bought my first keg and CO2 system a few months ago. IMO wait at least a year to be sure you are really into homebrewing and are going to continue to brew. If you buy and electric brewer and decide brewing isn't for you, you should be able to easily resell it locally.

That's really good advice, thank you!

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure how on OT this is, but I've found my first BrewDog beer that I'm really not fond of.

Indie Pale Ale - best way to describe it is overly bland and plain tasting.

Not sure how they can produce something like Punk IPA or Dead Pony Club and think this is a good addition tbh.

I read an article from Feb implying that they've noted feedback and will be amending the recipe, so hopefully I just picked up some of the earlier stuff.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
I found a solitary bottle of Pliny the Elder at Whole Foods today. Haven't seen a bottle of that in a few years, had to grab it.

VileZero

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Maryland/DC
Anyone going to a Big Brew tomorrow? I'm attending my first one. Just going to check stuff out and try some beers, maybe find a local club to join.

gutterboy44

Oct 27, 2017
NY
Anyone going to a Big Brew tomorrow? I'm attending my first one. Just going to check stuff out and try some beers, maybe find a local club to join.

I did my second big brew day today. Last year it was a few weeks after I brewed my first batch of beer ever, an extract double IPA kit. Since then I have brewed like crazy and absolutely love it as a hobby. It was great to actually brew today instead of just sit around and watch. The people I have met through my local home brew club have become close friends in the last year. I can't recommend finding a nearby home brew club enough, it has been very fun and helpful for learning more about brewing and beer. Today I made a gose with lemondrop hops. First time brewing this style, can't wait to try it.

Barls

Oct 25, 2017
Made a smoked Helles with a little bit of oak smoked wheat and finally got it on tap. Delicious. I wish more breweries would play around with small amounts of smoked malt on lighter beer styles. You don't have to save smoked malt to just use in (not to style) Wee Heavies and smoked porters.

yMkIobY.jpg

Code:
Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 7.05 gal
Post Boil Volume: 6.51 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal   
Bottling Volume: 5.10 gal
OG: 1.048 SG
FG: 1.012
ABV: 4.5%
Estimated Color: 3.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 16.3 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 79.5 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
7 lbs                 Pilsner (Weyermann) (1.7 SRM)            Grain         1        70.9 %       
1 lbs 8.0 oz          Munich I (Weyermann) (7.1 SRM)           Grain         2        15.2 %       
1 lbs 6.0 oz          Oak Smoked Wheat (2.3 SRM)               Grain         3        13.9 %       
18.0 g                Northern Brewer [6.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop           4        16.3 IBUs     
1.0 pkg               California Lager (Wyeast Labs #2112) [12 Yeast         5        -

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Finally got to try the Trappistes Rochefort 10.

Amazing stuff.

Robiin

Oct 26, 2017
For those of you interested in the Scandinavian scene, I had three "new" beers for the first time today.

Mikkeller - Hair in the Mailbox - IPA 6.3%
I gave this 3.25 / 5 on Untappd
An okay beer. Reminds me more of a pale ale though, with more piney notes than hoppy. Very drinkable, very cool label. I need to taste them side-by-side, but this tastes EXACTLY like I remember Ink & Dagger by Amundsen tasting.. hmm...

Cervisiam - Pecanisher - Imp Milk Stout 10%
I gave this 5 / 5 on Untappd
Holy shit this is one of the best stouts I've had. Veeeery sweet so this is an after-dinner beer. I would have this over a dessert ANY day. It's sweet, with clear vanilla notes, almost cake/brownie-like smell. And great mouthfeel, relatively thick. Cervisiam is so good at big beers, I think this is the third imperial stout I've had from them and they have all been fantastic. If you get the chance, try this! My fourth 5/5.

To öl - Hazy Triple Citra IPA - New England IPA 7.5%
I gave this 4 / 5 on Untappd
Bought this because of the name, I love NEIPAs in general, Citra specifically. And this lived up to expectations. Just a really nice beer, but more on the "classic" hoppy IPA side than New England side. Still a fantastic beer, and a clear "hop-juice" smell - more than the taste though. Might be from the relatively high alcohol content?

Also got to finally try Westvleteren 12 a few weeks ago - DAMN. Same bar also had this years CBS on draft - DAMN also. That's two of my most sought after beers checked!

Jarrod38

Oct 25, 2017
Currently drinking New Belgium Hemperor. While there is no THC it smells like weed. Good beer as well.

Bacon

Oct 26, 2017
Heading into NYC tomorrow. Other half worth a trip? Any other breweries of note that are must see?

Screaming_Gremlin

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If you like IPAs Other Half usually has a fantastic (and huge) pour list. I am not sure what it is like on a Friday. I have been there on a Saturday afternoon, where the place is jam packed and you can barely move. I have also been there on a Thursday evening where it was much more laid back.

The other two breweries that stood out to me when we made a day of going through Brooklyn and Queens was LIC Beer Project and Singlecut. Unfortunately, neither are very close to Other Half. King's County Brewers was also pretty good, although again not that close. You would either have to pay for an uber/lyft/taxi or have a DD.

Three's Brewing is pretty close to Other Half. A lot of their beer seems to get good ratings on Untappd, but I was not impressed at all.

Bacon

Oct 26, 2017
If you like IPAs Other Half usually has a fantastic (and huge) pour list. I am not sure what it is like on a Friday. I have been there on a Saturday afternoon, where the place is jam packed and you can barely move. I have also been there on a Thursday evening where it was much more laid back.

The other two breweries that stood out to me when we made a day of going through Brooklyn and Queens was LIC Beer Project and Singlecut. Unfortunately, neither are very close to Other Half. King's County Brewers was also pretty good, although again not that close. You would either have to pay for an uber/lyft/taxi or have a DD.

Three's Brewing is pretty close to Other Half. A lot of their beer seems to get good ratings on Untappd, but I was not impressed at all.

Thanks man, ended up just going to Other Half, which was fantastic. The amount of IPAs on tap was pretty overwhelming but they were all really good. The ethereal was my favorite of the bunch, had a nice sweetness to it. Wasn't too busy as we got there at around 1 pm, it was definitely picking up by the time we were heading out.

I will say the area surrounding the brewery was a little bit sketchy, we saw multiple fights break out in the two minute walk from the subway to the brewery. Other than that though it was awesome.

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
Made a smoked Helles with a little bit of oak smoked wheat and finally got it on tap. Delicious. I wish more breweries would play around with small amounts of smoked malt on lighter beer styles. You don't have to save smoked malt to just use in (not to style) Wee Heavies and smoked porters.

yMkIobY.jpg

Code:
Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 7.05 gal
Post Boil Volume: 6.51 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal  
Bottling Volume: 5.10 gal
OG: 1.048 SG
FG: 1.012
ABV: 4.5%
Estimated Color: 3.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 16.3 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 79.5 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU        
7 lbs                 Pilsner (Weyermann) (1.7 SRM)            Grain         1        70.9 %      
1 lbs 8.0 oz          Munich I (Weyermann) (7.1 SRM)           Grain         2        15.2 %      
1 lbs 6.0 oz          Oak Smoked Wheat (2.3 SRM)               Grain         3        13.9 %      
18.0 g                Northern Brewer [6.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop           4        16.3 IBUs    
1.0 pkg               California Lager (Wyeast Labs #2112) [12 Yeast         5        -
Looking good!

I should really try brewing beer one of these days...

Rei Toei

Nov 8, 2017
Just had a imperial weizenbock with pineapple from a local brewery, het Uiltje. Blew me away. Didn't expect that flavour to work with a weizenbock like that.

BPHusker

Oct 26, 2017
Nebraska
The wife and I are heading to Australia for our honeymoon and I was wondering if there are any must try breweries there. We are heading to Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane.

Lotto

Oct 28, 2017
Earth
So apparently my local got this Wild Ale collaboration between Off Color brewing and Miller High Life that uses a Champagne yeast to bottle condition. They said it was probably the only case distributed to CA but I don't know how accurate that is. I'm mildly intrigued and disgusted at the same time but if I see it still there in a month or so I might bite.

It's this one: http://beerstreetjournal.com/off-color-brewing-collaborates-miller-high-life/

Also, a blurb on Off Color's website:
For years whenever people asked what our favorite beer was we'd say High Life. (And not only because they'd send over cases of High Life when we said it.) A couple years ago we approached Lisa Zimmer at Miller about brewing a collaboration together. Big meets small. Technical acumen and resource meets magic and wishful thinking. Because at the end of the day, we're all brewers. Beer is beer and it's high time the trope of us vs them is replaced with an understanding of how big and varied the world is. There are more things in the heavens and earth, Horatio, than dreamt of in your philosophy.

Turning such a big ship takes time but Lisa was relentless and John was stubborn and cases of High Life kept showing up at the brewery. Finally, in June we went up to Miller in Milwaukee to learn the secrets of the Lady in the Moon, brewed a ludicrously small ten barrel batch of High Life on their pilot system and drank a bunch of High Life. Needless to say, we were giddy. Shortly thereafter, Miller's R&D brewers came down and we brewed Eeek! here in Chicago...and drank a bunch of High Life before drinking even more High Life at Sportsman's Club.

As High Life is a pinnacle of technical brewing expertise, we went rustic AF for Eeek!, blending all of our wild acidic and funky mixed cultures together with house lactobacillus and set them loose on base High Life (like) wort. After a month of unregulated primary fermentation, we turned on the jackets and lagered Eeek! for an additional three weeks before bottling conditioning with Champagne yeast. Because, obviously.

Aroma is bright tangerine, mild hay, lemon pepper, wild blueberries and pineapple funk. Delicate and perfectly light in body with a groundswell of yuzu-like acidity spiking to a delectable finish of wildflowers and nectar.

Anyone here try it?

spiderferi

Apr 15, 2018
Tehran, Iran
Has anyone gotten a good beginner brewing guide? I don't want to use starter packs and such, those are not available where I live.
http://howtobrew.com/ is a great resource. The updated book is nice to have, but the free first edition is available in it's entirety on that site and is a great way to get started.
Other than that my next suggestion would be to find a local club. You'd be surprised how many they are and just hanging out and watching someone brew a batch or two is a great way to get started.
Thank you!

Last edited:

Barls

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone gotten a good beginner brewing guide? I don't want to use starter packs and such, those are not available where I live.
http://howtobrew.com/ is a great resource. The updated book is nice to have, but the free first edition is available in it's entirety on that site and is a great way to get started.
Other than that my next suggestion would be to find a local club. You'd be surprised how many they are and just hanging out and watching someone brew a batch or two is a great way to get started.

Oct 27, 2017
So apparently my local got this Wild Ale collaboration between Off Color brewing and Miller High Life that uses a Champagne yeast to bottle condition. They said it was probably the only case distributed to CA but I don't know how accurate that is. I'm mildly intrigued and disgusted at the same time but if I see it still there in a month or so I might bite.

It's this one: http://beerstreetjournal.com/off-color-brewing-collaborates-miller-high-life/

Anyone here try it?

I have a bottle but haven't opened it yet. I have heard pretty good things though.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle

Anyone here try it?

I have a soft spot for High Life and I've wanted to try it, but the price point around here is too damn high for what it is.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
KBS was great this year. And well...they are bourbon barrel-aged, they're supposed to taste at least a bit like bourbon.

Lotto

Oct 28, 2017
Earth
I have a soft spot for High Life and I've wanted to try it, but the price point around here is too damn high for what it is.

Yeah.. It's $21 here. They do beer tastings here too so I'm hoping they'll crack one open during one of them. They opened up a Peanut Butter Jelly Crime from Superstition Meadery there before (already $35) and a bunch of other beers for only $5!

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
Picked up Jackie O's Dark Apparition Russian Imperial. A bit sweeter than I normally like in a RIS and doesn't get much of that burnt caramel or bite, but it's pretty good.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
havent brewed in quite a while but looking to now that its summer break - anyone got some good new england hazy recipes?

Rei Toei

Nov 8, 2017
Brugse Zot has brewed a low-alcohol (0,4%) variant of their regular beer. Curious to see if they succeeded in maintaining their trademark flavour.