• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
At some point in my life, I realized there was really no point to having a backlog, because the entire reason games went in my backlog in the first place was because there were other games I wanted to play more. And then new games would come out that I still want to play more, and I would just never get to the backlog. Now I play what I want to play and not what I think I have to.

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
Take a look at your backlog and decide what you probably won't play...and forget about it.

Deleted member 14313

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I still do not understand the existence of a backlog. Just buy games or books or whatever when you know you are shortly (like within the next few days at maximum) going to play/read them.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really have a backlog any more and to be honest I get that same feeling of not knowing what to play. I've finished all my games, I could go back and play something else or buy a new game, but it's hard to make myself want to.

So basically I feel like the backlog isn't actually the cause of this feeling. I'd agree with people who say just play what you want and don't worry about the backlog. At least you have choices now.

Panda Andino

Nov 5, 2018
My backlog make me feel sad for the amount of money wasted in games that I know I will never play. My backlog is atrocious now and it only gets bigger and bigger.

BakedTanooki

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
99% of my backlog exists, because i love to support (japanese) niche games on day 1, even if I'm already rotating between 2 or 3 games at the time. So I'm generally still hyped to play them at some point.

But there was a time when I bought way too many digital indie games, when there was a sale (there is always a sale!) on psn and I couldn't resist because of the low price. Some of them are still in my backlog, but the motivation to play them is way lower than my motivation to play something from my physical backlog.

Now I stopped buying digital games just because they are on sale and super cheap at the moment. I only do it now if I'm really sure that I want to play the game in that moment, or at least the next 1 or 2 days.

Arih

Jan 19, 2018
Yeah same here. I keep waiting for that moment to hit where im in the mood to play x ou y but it never comes. Its gives me a serious feeling of buyers remorse like "im not playing it, why did i have to buy it oh god why" but also, i dont want to sell it because the mood might come some day. Argh!

Hudsoniscool

Banned
Jun 5, 2018
2 things I don't understand. 1) why buy a game if you arnt ready to play it now. 2) people who act like having to ply games is a chore. If a game doesn't interest you that much... than don't play it.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
I'd had The Witcher III GOTY in my backlog for an age until a few days ago.......knowing it was gonna be such a huge game made me delay starting it........now I don't know why I ever waited,game is great and I'm flying though it because it's so good.

jml

Mar 9, 2018
2 things I don't understand. 1) why buy a game if you arnt ready to play it now.

Because bundles and sales exist. I'm not gonna buy a $60 game and let it sit in my backlog for months, but if a game that's usually $20 is on sale for $10 and I think I'll play it soon but not immediately....that's how a backlog starts.

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
My backlog doesn't exist because I buy stuff on day one. "Waiting until it gets cheaper" is the whole problem. Interesting games end up getting crazy sales or being bundled with other interesting games. I buy the games/bundles due to the huge value for a tiny price and then I get overwhelmed by all the good games I have and want to play at the same time.

And what I want to play can change in an hour. I have been trying to play Hollow Knight for ages and I could wake up feeling like "This is the day it will happen!". When I was finally sitting down at my PC, I was no longer in the right "mood" for such a game. Or I buy a new game, install it and when it is done I have been tempted by something else and into the backlog the game goes.

(I am finally playing Hollow Knight right now and it is terrific! I am happy I didn't force myself to play it at the wrong moment because then it might have not been such a huge hit for me. But now it is everything I could have asked for right at this moment.)

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
I have well over 200 games in my backlog, and if I actually sat down to count it might hit 300. I have serious doubts I'll finish it, ever.

Mr Jones

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have games that date back to the PSX, Saturn and N64 that I haven't played yet. They won't get any cheaper. Only more expensive. Still haven't beaten games like Rocket, Paper Mario, Vagrant Story, and Mega Man Legends.

Which I'll definitely get to, after I play through uncharted 3, red dead redemption, and Mario galaxy 2.

Which is next on my list, after The surge, blood borne, and the last of us.

Which I swear I will play after I'm done with Apex, Resident Evil 2, and hollow knight.

What is this Warframe game folks keep talking about? Sounds interesting, and probably costs a lot.

...it's free? Oh... oh no.

I'll finish up RE2 next weekend. Promise!

Hudsoniscool

Banned
Jun 5, 2018
Because bundles and sales exist. I'm not gonna buy a $60 game and let it sit in my backlog for months, but if a game that's usually $20 is on sale for $10 and I think I'll play it soon but not immediately....that's how a backlog starts.
Which is fine. But when your list is more than a few games long, or a couple games are about to come out that you know will immediately go to the top of your list you should be able to make a good decision.

Apr 25, 2018
I used to have a big backlog but like you realised I was no longer interested in half the games I was buying. I traded a lot of them in without playing them and have since become a lot more careful about what I buy.

No matter how cheap a game goes on sale now I won't buy it if its not on my carefully selected list. It's much better this way, I'm enjoying games more, feel like I have more time for the ones I like and I am no longer turning my favourite hobby into a checklist to be ticked off as fast as possible.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
If they don't interest you then just remove them from your backlog. You aren't obligated to play anything.

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017
Hey, if you buy a game you like and want to play it, then play it. I have games I still haven't played but I will not miss out on new games because I have to religiously finish what I already have first.
Life happens, whatever your reasons for having one, do not be ashamed of your backlog. Do not play games to clear your backlog. Play games to enjoy the experiences they have to offer.

I would look at your backlog, OP and identify which one game from it you want to play. Go with your gut. Don't think logically, "it has to be a shooter because I am about to finish a JRPG..." Just pick a game. Pop it in. Forget about the others for now and just play it. Even if you are juggling platforms, at any given time, you are mostly likely playing only one single game. One game. That's all this journey is about.

Because we pay money for these things, I do certainly hope that at some point, your interest in those games will return. Otherwise, give them away if you can. There must have been a reason you committed your hard earned cash to each one of them. Why them and not another game at the time?

As a caveat, as OP has mentioned, tastes change. That's why it's important let the now now determine what you want to play. Today you will feel like a Civ buff but in 8 months if it remains untouched, you might be into visual novels.

You have a responsibility towards yourself to balance your purchase-consumption ratio.

LASTLY - do not let the current trends determine what you like. There is no shame in buying old DS games today in 2019 because that's what you're into.

I am all over the place. Sorry.

TL;DR: what's the one game in your backlog you have interest in? Play that. Don't even think about it too hard.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
well that depends, what was the reason you bought the half that you don't like?

If it's because most of them were super cheap sales, then it's not too big a deal

But if it's because you bought them full price and you didn't do any research before making the purchases, then that's a problem

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Just don't keep playing them/always buy on sale, that's what I've done with older titles like PS1/PS2 Classics and it doesn't feel so bad when I try something and it just doesn't click with me.

Plus I'm able to scratch something off my backlog without having to beat it.

Doorakz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the main reason why a lot of the backlog games aren't attractive is due to their age. I.e. they're not the latest hotness everyone is talking about. So unless it's a stellar game, it's tough to choose that over a new release.

I've had similar issues since I typically buy a good chuck of my games around Black Friday.

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is why I don't actually buy games until I intend to play them. There's tons of games on my theoretical 'backlog', but I haven't actually bought any of them as I'm still finishing the ones I'm playing now.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I've got a pretty long backlog right now and I've been chipping away at it. I decided to just start going down the list and giving them like an hour to get my attention.

I've had a couple decent surprises (really enjoyed Rogue Aces) and some disappointments (Yakuza Kiwami). Most of them are PS+ games so I'm not too bothered if something doesn't work for me.

Although not liking Yakuza was tough due to how loved it is here. I even gave it extra time.

I'd say just make a list and go down it and at least try everything. Just don't be afraid to discard games that can't keep your attention.

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
I used to have a big backlog but like you realised I was no longer interested in half the games I was buying. I traded a lot of them in without playing them and have since become a lot more careful about what I buy.

No matter how cheap a game goes on sale now I won't buy it if its not on my carefully selected list. It's much better this way, I'm enjoying games more, feel like I have more time for the ones I like and I am no longer turning my favourite hobby into a checklist to be ticked off as fast as possible.

I've adapted this mentality too since 2017. What's great about it is that when I do buy a game and play it immediately, it feels amazing.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't your backlog the games you actually want to play?

I mean, what good would it do anyone to force himself/herself through every game they happen to have access to?

GazRB

Oct 25, 2017
My backlog is just written down. I don't buy things til I'm ready to play them, and if they don't hold my attention til the end of the game, then they get crossed off the list.

Fou-Lu

Oct 25, 2017
I only consider games I actually think I'll play as part of my backlog. I own way too much shit from bundles and sales that I shouldn't have bought.

SturokBGD

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
I had a huge backlog of like 20 games
Ah bless your little cotton socks.

TZZr07m.png

SweetSark

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
I have a different problem with my backlog, I'm pretty interested in many games in my backlog, I want to play them, but I don't have the time to play them. :/

Making a collection of 20.000+ games and select which ones I am truly interest in them is indeed my curse and happiness.
Being an List Maniac is my Bread and Butter.
Follow my tactic: Create Folders and name them base of the priority they have for you to play.
For example I have Files I names "MUST".
The other files name them "later" or "maybe" etc., Then don't open these files again. Not literally, but first finish the first files, then the other files.

ezodagrom

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Making a collection of 20.000+ games and select which ones I am truly interest in them is indeed my curse and happiness.
Being an List Maniac is my Bread and Butter.
Follow my tactic: Create Folders and name them base of the priority they have for you to play.
For example I have Files I names "MUST".
The other files name them "later" or "maybe" etc., Then don't open these files again. Not literally, but first finish the first files, then the other files.
While I haven't made a list, I do give priority to some games over others, but... long JRPGs are my favourite types of games. xD

leder

Oct 25, 2017
This is why I don't actually buy games until I intend to play them. There's tons of games on my theoretical 'backlog', but I haven't actually bought any of them as I'm still finishing the ones I'm playing now.
This is the way of enlightenment. Don't buy a game until the exact moment that you're going to play it. This means not partaking in sales for the most part, but you still end up saving TONS of money this way.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I have so many because its hard to be interested in much of anything when you're depressed and your mind is constantly telling you its not worth doing anything

Nimby

Oct 27, 2017
Just attempted to play Mankind Divided for the third time, got farther than I even did previously.... and dropped it again. I love immersive sims but MD is much slower gameplay wise compared to Prey and Dishonored 2, which are some of my favorite games this gen. It is definitely a game I would consider a slow burner, something not to be played in a couple of sittings and those games need exceptional gameplay to keep me playing at a constant pace, or the drive eventually fizzles out. Downtime between the distinctive missions is too long and not being aware of any of the story in Human Revolution also drains my interest. Maybe I should redownload it and stop playing Apex for a bit lol

I've been progressing through the numerous amount of games I have stashed on my PS4 digitally as well as a few physical games. New games and opportunities keep overshadowing them. Love Hollow Knight and Breath of the Wild, but left those unfinished even though I am very close to beating both of them. Dragon Quest also sits unfinished but I am more lukewarm to that game. And now I am playing Yakuza 0 and Uncharted 4. Part of me wants to finish these games, while another wants me to continue playing other games.

Dec 4, 2017
Backlogs are silly. Just get the game later when it's cheaper.
The vast majority of my backlog originates in -75% blowout sales on Steam/GOG, or in bundle deals from Humble Bundle/Indie Gala/Fanatical (ex. Bundle Stars).
You know what the worst part is? I actually like 90% of the games in my backlog. So I always feel a little guilty for not playing them.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
I've been hell bent on knocking out my backlog while also playing through new games simultaneously. I've probably been playing too much this year. So far this year I've completed.

RE2make
Metro Exodus
Dishonored 2
Nier Automata
Final Fantasy XV

And I've got about 30 hours into AC Origins now and made the foolish choice of picking up AC Odyssey on sale. But that'll give me some games to chew through while waiting for Sekiro and Days Gone.

I also still need to revisit Persona 5 but that seems like a Herculean task after 30 hours knowing I'm nowhere even close to the end.