Votes: 2,583 87.9%

• Total voters

Forerunner

Resetufologist
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
news.gallup.com

Belief in God in U.S. Dips to 81%, a New Low

Eighty-one percent of U.S. adults say they believe in God, down six percentage points from 2017 and the lowest in Gallup's trend.

STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • 81% believe in God, down from 87% in 2017
  • New low in Gallup's trend
  • Four in 10 believe God can intervene on people's behalf

The vast majority of U.S. adults believe in God, but the 81% who do so is down six percentage points from 2017 and is the lowest in Gallup's trend. Between 1944 and 2011, more than 90% of Americans believed in God.

Gallup's May 2-22 Values and Beliefs poll finds 17% of Americans saying they do not believe in God.

Gallup first asked this question in 1944, repeating it again in 1947 and twice each in the 1950s and 1960s. In those latter four surveys, a consistent 98% said they believed in God. When Gallup asked the question nearly five decades later, in 2011, 92% of Americans said they believed in God.

Belief in God has fallen the most in recent years among young adults and people on the left of the political spectrum (liberals and Democrats). These groups show drops of 10 or more percentage points comparing the 2022 figures to an average of the 2013-2017 polls.

The groups with the largest declines are also the groups that are currently least likely to believe in God, including liberals (62%), young adults (68%) and Democrats (72%). Belief in God is highest among political conservatives (94%) and Republicans (92%), reflecting that religiosity is a major determinant of political divisions in the U.S.

Fewer Americans today than five years ago believe in God, and the percentage is down even more from the 1950s and 1960s when almost all Americans did. Still, the vast majority of Americans believe in God, whether that means they believe a higher power hears prayers and can intervene or not. And while belief in God has declined in recent years, Gallup has documented steeper drops in church attendance, church membership and confidence in organized religion, suggesting that the practice of religious faith may be changing more than basic faith in God.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I've seen enough to realize that I shouldn't be surprised but I'm still kinda surprised.

mangopositive

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
It's incredibly depressing, as a reasonably intelligent person who has to live in a world ruled by imbeciles.

Vagabond

Oct 26, 2017
United States
The way I've seen this article posted and reposted on Facebook with comments like "America is fallen" "End of America is near" etc etc etc for the last few days has been really incredible.

Oct 30, 2017
There's a lot of people that passively believe, but will answer yes when asked.

that's still extremely high. in the UK only about half of people who identify as christian in that passive way say they actually believe in god.

34% of british people say they're christian and 56% of those believe in god, according to this poll. and this is a country literally (sort of) ruled by the head of the church of england.

Feb 16, 2022
if god (as Christians conceive of him) exists I want somebody to explain the state of the world right now
The clever part of this scam called religion is that the believers can bullshit their way through everything by saying stuff like "we're not meant to understand God", or "it's not for us to know as we're only human" or some shit.

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
if god (as Christians conceive of him) exists I want somebody to explain the state of the world right now
God is evil or not all that powerful or incompetent
I get that this thread, like all threads on religion here, is mostly just for people to dunk on faith and feel like they're smarter than other people. But this is like the third time in recent months I've seen this thrown around like a gotcha here but like this is accounted for and addressed in their religious texts, there are entire books about it in the bible. It's a bad argument that really wouldn't play like you this it would if actually used against the people you're imagining using it against. Just FYI.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Both the results listed in the topic and the poll results surprise me. The divide here is huge.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The clever part of this scam called religion is that the believers can bullshit their way through everything by saying stuff like "we're not meant to understand God", or "it's not for us to know as we're only human" or some shit.
If we aren't meant to understand god, but god is an all powerful and all knowing creator, than that means he doesn't want to be understood, which kind of throws some doubt on the whole "omnibenevolent" thing. If an omnipotent god wanted Mortals to understand him, they would, so if such a being exists and we can't understand them, that's by design

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Let's keep driving that number down. The sooner people get over this fantasy shit and start focusing on the actual world that's crumbling around them, the better.

Feb 16, 2022
If we aren't meant to understand god, but god is an all powerful and all knowing creator, than that means he doesn't want to be understood, which kind of throws some doubt on the whole "omnibenevolent" thing. If an omnipotent god wanted Mortals to understand him, they would, so if such a being exists and we can't understand them, that's by design
Exactly. They will always have another answer in tow, and if they're lucky they'll make you look like the nutjob.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I get that this thread, like all threads on religion here, is mostly just for people to dunk on faith and feel like they're smarter than other people. But this is like the third time in recent months I've seen this thrown around like a gotcha here but like this is accounted for and addressed in their religious texts, there are entire books about it in the bible. It's a bad argument that really wouldn't play like you this it would if actually used against the people you're imagining using it against. Just FYI.
I've heard literally every arguement and they all fall flat. It's either "god works in mysterious ways" (which isn't an answer, it's avoiding the question, and again ignores that if we can't comprehend god's methods or motives, and god is omnipotent and omniscient, that means he's intentionally keeping us in the dark), he's testing us (because somehow an omniscient god needs to do that despite knowing the answer in advance as a necessary condition of being omniscient), free will (this ignores that an omnipotent god should be capable of making beings that have free will without evil existing, and tends to also ignore all the bad shit that happens completely independent of man's actions), because it'll all be worth it in heaven which is forever (ok, but then why bother with this whole earthly phase? an additional wrinkle here is that I've seen people argue that capacity for evil is necessary for free will, this means heaven either has no free will or people can do evil shit in heaven and both seem to contradict the core premise). There are a million different answers I've heard but they're all arguing backwards from the idea that god exists and are inevitably filled with tautologies because they need to work with both the idea of a triomni god but also the reality of the world we live in. But a triomni god should be definition of omnipotence and omniscience be capable of making an infinite number of perfect worlds where suffering doesn't exist, because any rules only exist because they allow them to.

If god has rules and restrictions that prevent the world from being better, either he's not omnipotent (because an omnipotent being by definition doesn't have limits, period), or they exist because he specifically wants them to and he could break those rules at any time.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Agnostic but that counts as a 'no'. If there's some sort of afterlife all I know is it is NOT the Anglo Christian version, that was just some made up bull shit. But I can never be absolutely sure that there's no sort of afterlife. (I wouldn't even be surprised if this was a simulation, nothing is certain IMO)

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
I think a good chunk of these people don't actually believe but are scared that there's the chance they're wrong and will burn in hell, so they larp as believers when they are asked.

But the true believers are the scariest ones. And those are usually the ones in positions of power playing chess, hoping for their Revelations fantasy to begin.

Feb 16, 2022
That's what makes it such a perfect scam. Cover all your bases. And with each major revision, cover even more and more.

Joco

Oct 29, 2017
If God is real, he's a monster.

I'd rather believe in no God than an evil one.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Scroll down to the Theistic arguments section for the kind of answers you'd get.
I've done that already. The answers are filled with fallacies that kind of ignore that the definition of being omnipotent and omniscient means any reason that evil exists or why god has to allow evil only exist because god wanted it that way. A perfect being can not make imperfect creations. So any imperfections are by definition features, not bugs, because otherwise they made a mistake and are thus not perfect

kcp12304

Oct 27, 2017
Even many of the people who put down "no religious affiliation" will say they believe in some kind of higher power. These are not all hyper-rational Atheists.

America is a SUPER religious country despite these trends (that I expect will continue) compared to other Western countries. Many people believe in something even if they don't go to church or believe in a literal interpretation of the Christian God because of many factors like cultural conditioning, society putting religion on a pedestal, the social sigma against not believing, etc.

Booshka

May 8, 2018
Colton, CA
Being a debatelord atheist is worse than just saying no you don't believe and moving on with your life. The debate and agitation is literally part of day to day living for people to believe in their religious tenets, so you are just feeding into it. Pastors and preachers feed into this for their sermons as well.

If you just don't care and move on it's actually more effective, arguing is a waste of time.

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
Cool that people believe in something to make them feel better about dying and continues to destroy societies.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Being a debatelord atheist is worse than just saying no you don't believe and moving on with your life. The debate and agitation is literally part of day to day living for people to believe in their religious tenets, so you are just feeding into it. Pastors and preachers feed into this for their sermons as well.

If you just don't care and move on it's actually more effective, arguing is a waste of time.

I don't know... If I never read/listened to atheists explaining their views I probably would still believe in God somewhat. Debates are useless to change religious people, but not spectators.