• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the spoiler.
^^^^^^^^^^^

Seriously, WTF?! I'm already having to dodge so many TV spot thread and now this.

And?
I only know about this bc is this thread. Would have been cool to see it in theaters w/o knowing.
WTF thanks for the spoiler in the thread title
Yes it is. Regardless of where it's shown, a spoiler can mean anything to anyone.
You people are the reason why no one likes spoilerphobes

BowieZ

Nov 7, 2017
I really wish I hadn't read this thread title.

EDIT: People are playing semantics over the word "spoiler". For most major films and TV series, etc, many people wish to avoid having their narrative surprises spoiled. That doesn't mean this is technically a "spoiler" but it's basically needlessly inconsiderate when you are well aware of the potential to ruin nice surprises.

The onus therefore should be on the OP to be mindful of how meaningful or substantial the information they put in the title might be for audiences whose behavior differ from them.

Last edited:

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
This seems like such a meaningless thing to get upset about.

Unless you really, really, really hate Ewoks, I guess.

OP
OP

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seriously. We had multiple threads openly mentioning Palpatine is back. And that is 1000000000x a bigger deal.

It's official marketing promotional material.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Thread derail and threadwhining over multiple posts
Studios will often release B-Roll making of footage for films before they release as well.

Saying that the studio released it means that you don't have to be at all considerate is absolutely ridiculous. It would have taken no effort to put POTENTIAL SPOILERS in the title. Instead OP decided to spoil a whole bunch of people who didn't have a choice.

Bjomesphat

Nov 5, 2017
User Warned: Thread derail and threadwhining
Official marketing material for a film has never been considered a spoiler before as far as I have ever seen.

Do we hide the fact Palpatine is in the film in titles? No of course not.

Honestly, if I hadn't seen the trailers, I probably could have gone to release date without knowing the emperor was back. I don't actively avoid this stuff, but I don't seek out information or immerse myself in pre-release hype.

Personally I don't care about the Ewok stuff. But it's a bit strange to make that the title instead of something more broad.

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Thread derail and threadwhining over multiple posts
I'm with other folks in saying just update the OP title to something more ambiguous. It doesn't hurt anything.

OP
OP

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm with other folks in saying just update the OP title to something more ambiguous. It doesn't hurt anything.
I am just going by the standard history here of official marketing material being allowed to be discussed openly without spoiler prefaces. Such as Palpatine's return.

I am still completely baffled how this is being treated as more sacred than the Emperor being back.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't imagine being upset by the reveal of Ewoks being spoiled. It isn't like this is some grand character with a huge character arc to conclude or something. He's a teddy bear that says gibberish.

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
There is no history for that whatsoever given Palpatine being back being allowed to be openly mentioned in titles though, no?
Idk I'm not on here 24/7 so I haven't seen those threads. You can't moderate spoilers if there's no agreed upon definition. Not saying someone should. It's just a touchy subject for people.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta love people comparing Palpatine being revealed in the main trailer to a behind the scenes featurette that most people wouldn't watch and wouldn't be played on TV or before movies.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Idk I'm not on here 24/7 so I haven't seen those threads. You can't moderate spoilers if there's no agreed upon definition. Not saying someone should. It's just a touchy subject for people.

Fact is this whole anger at this is so fucking stupid.

The moment something is used in marketing material it is no longer a spoiler. End all be all of that.

OP
OP

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gotta love people comparing Palpatine being revealed in the main trailer to a behind the scenes featurette that most people wouldn't watch and wouldn't be played on TV or before movies.
Uh....this was played on tv.

It aired on ABC...today! They even hyped it up all day during their thanksgiving tv coverage.

Bjomesphat

Nov 5, 2017
I am just going by the standard history here of official marketing material being allowed to be discussed openly without spoiler prefaces. Such as Palpatine's return.

I am still completely baffled how this is being treated as more sacred than the Emperor being back.

Hundreds of millions of people have watched the trailers and know the Emperor is back. Thousands will see these featurettes, and most moviegoers will have no idea about the Ewoks until they see the movie. Except Era.....

Again I'm not salty, but it is kind of lame for people that care.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
People have to accept that the world does not care about your media blackout. Everyone agrees that major plot spoilers are no good but basic casting and marketing material is fine.

BowieZ

Nov 7, 2017
Also gotta love how people are acting like this isn't a big deal, why are we upset, etc,... and yet IT APPARENTLY WARRANTED A WHOLE NEW THREAD lol

The two, of course, intersect. People should learn how to broadcast spoilery information without actually revealing the information fully in the title. It's not hard.

OP
OP

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hundreds of millions of people have watched the trailers and know the Emperor is back. Thousands will see these featurettes, and most moviegoers will have no idea about the Ewoks until they see the movie. Except Era.....

Again I'm not salty, but it is kind of lame for people that care.
This featurette aired on network tv earlier today on ABC. So I would say quite a lot more than thousands here.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
Is it cool if we start making thread titles about upcoming episode previews for weekly TV shows? It's officially released content by the studio, after all.

Imagine if Cast Away was about to release and somebody made the argument 'It's in the trailer!'

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
Also gotta love how people are acting like this isn't a big deal, why are we upset, etc,... and yet IT APPARENTLY WARRANTED A WHOLE NEW THREAD lol

The two, of course, intersect. People should learn how to broadcast spoilery information without actually revealing the information fully in the title. It's not hard.
I think this nails it. There's middle ground to be met.
I feel like the gaming side is way better about this sort of thing. But they also tend to stick to OTs more rigidly.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
I mean, I like going into a movie as fresh as possible as all even with "non-spoilers". I can understand the appeal of trying the avoid even the little things, and even I think the spoilerphobia in here is a little ridiculous.

To be fair, I don't think a little warning like "New Behind the Scenes for Rise of Skywalker confirms return of OT character" is too much to ask.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Is it cool if we start making thread titles about upcoming episode previews for weekly TV shows?
Lol.
UniformSpecificHarvestmouse-size_restricted.gif

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is it cool if we start making thread titles about upcoming episode previews for weekly TV shows? It's officially released content by the studio, after all.

Imagine if Cast Away was about to release and somebody made the argument 'It's in the trailer!'

The Tom Hanks movie? I don't think you're quite making the point you think you are if so, because I can't imagine anyone would get that upset (outside of those upset in this thread). That's not a movie you watch for the plotting.