• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bshock

Self-requested permanent ban
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I'm not sure I'm enjoying this so far due to the highly zoomed out view. It's proving extremely difficult to get immersed.

Very atmospheric with great sound design otherwise.

Deleted member 19996

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They really don't tell you anything once in game, huh? Had no idea there was hunger or thirst mechanics. Maybe it's on me for not following the game but I didn't even know it was a roguelike until I stepped on spikes immediately after reaching 2

Oct 25, 2017
Fortaleza
Played about 2 hours

It's not for me

I was expecting a Zelda game

But it's more of a don't starve

The survival mechanics turn me off, and I having a difficult time with the floor traps, I can't see them, and they insta-kill you.

But the music is top notch

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
I'm stuck and have been running around aimlessly for the last 45 minutes or so.

Apparently I'm in "2" and reached a beach where I found leather armor on a shipwreck and a lift to the beginning plateau. Where do I go from here? I checked all the "sectors" but beside a door with branches in front of it I haven't found another way.

Did you find your way down? If not:

There's a little blue rune you pick up in one of the rooms. That is the key to a door in I believe the southern most room on the map. If you have your lantern on you'll see a little white symbol appear in the room and that's where the rune/key goes

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
The survival mechanics turn me off, and I having a difficult time with the floor traps, I can't see them, and they insta-kill you.

You can tap the left bumper to activate your lantern and, provided you have the resource, it will illuminate traps in a bright red color as you wander around a map.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
ok, absolutely loving this so far. great atmosphere, sense of discovery and wonder. fells nice to control too. i actually like that literally NOTHING is explained aside from the menu screens controller buttons.

before i start getting ready for work though can someone confirm that my progress is saved at campfires? what about the small stone fires?

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
ok, absolutely loving this so far. great atmosphere, sense of discovery and wonder. fells nice to control too. i actually like that literally NOTHING is explained aside from the menu screens controller buttons.

before i start getting ready for work though can someone confirm that my progress is saved at campfires? what about the small stone fires?

I believe it is saved at the start of every room. I was able to quit (this was an area with a bonfire though so YMMV) and resume at the start of that screen.

Bardeh

Jun 15, 2018
I'm still waiting for the Steam unlock but I've been listening to the soundtrack all morning and it's extremely my shit. Damn, it's good.

Wrellie

Oct 29, 2017
Figures I'd go to download it and Xbox purchasing is down...I feel like the only person alive who has way more problems with Xbox Live than PSN.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Played about 2 hours

It's not for me

I think I'm with you. Both times I've died have been due to floor traps. I feel like, from there, with the insta-kills, should come instant-revive and get back in it, but...at least early on, you do not just "get back in it". It's a slog to get back "below". The exploration is neat, but these floor traps make it less enticing. I don't feel like the risk-reward is there, versus just finding the next room and continuing on. I'm not finding anything overly satisfying about the combat either. Again, this is early impressions from 90 minutes of play. I will give it another shot, but it's not as high on my list of game priorities as I thought it might be.

bshock

Self-requested permanent ban
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Yeah, this one just isn't for me. The survival mechanics, combat, and zoomed out view are proving far too irksome to continue. Strong atmosphere can only carry it so far.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
got the key to the right hand side. found a smallish "cave" right next to it that i cant walk into, though it looks like i should be able to, and it has music playing (clue?). also, just above where the key was found i've swam to a door that wont open.

i did find the elevator that takes me back to the beginning area, but i assume thats just a short cut for when i inevitably need to restart.

any clues to get me moving forward again? i feel like i'm the type of gamer that over looks the "obvious" sometimes and dont ant to back track through everywhere i've been if i'm just not getting the game's logic on how to actually progress from where i am

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
Probably not for me either...wasted my 4 arrows in the early area before going in the caves in front of a rock with what looks like a board with an X on it,and a question mark when you approach...nothing happened,in the cave I am stuck in the first area lol,the one with a small elastic strung between 2 sticks...lit the fire besides that but after a while it poisoned me...? and I threw up for 2 minutes...plus I am not crazy about survival stuff and basically,you cant see shit lol ;)...

I will start over but if this is a game that I have to go check on Youtube or ask here every 10 minutes to progress,I probably wont enjoy this,even with the good atmosphere and music.

Plus I had 2 crashes to the XBox dashboard,like Mutant Zero.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
So this game has permadeath and survival type gameplay? Didn't know much about this game but was sort of getting excited for playing it. Not so much anymore if true. I was never really a fan of permadeath and/or survival type gameplay like eating and drinking to survive.

Majora85

Nov 21, 2017
Really surprised to read some of these problems to be honest. It is quite tough but nothing is unintuitive or opaque.

If you keep running into floor traps then you're either not using your lantern, not using a torch, or running around in the dark. I died on a floor trap precisely once. Stop sprinting around and use your torch.

If you're throwing up you've either consumed something poisonous or been bitten by a snake.

If you don't know where in the room you should be going next, bring up the map and see where the exits are roughly located.

I can totally see why this game wouldn't be fit everyone but this thread is going to be a textbook example of why developers are too scared to let players pay attention without endless tutorial prompts.

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
Really surprised to read some of these problems to be honest. It is quite tough but nothing is unintuitive or opaque.

If you keep running into floor traps then you're either not using your lantern, not using a torch, or running around in the dark. I died on a floor trap precisely once. Stop sprinting around and use your torch.

If you're throwing up you've either consumed something poisonous or been bitten by a snake.

If you don't know where in the room you should be going next, bring up the map and see where the exits are roughly located.

I can totally see why this game wouldn't be fit everyone but this thread is going to be a textbook example of why developers are too scared to let players pay attention without endless tutorial prompts.

Hand-holding is out of control, so glad this game keeps the sense of discovery

CloudCircus

Dec 9, 2017
I don't think it's a daunting game at all. The shortcuts and bonefire teleport mechanic make it really easy to recover from deaths and get back to where you were. Instakills are super easy to avoid so far. It really easy to stay hydrated because of all the water and puddles. Food is not uncommon and you can make dishes sort of like BotW at bonfires. It takes an hour or two to get into it, but I think it's great so far.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
atmosphere is great. I only played maybe an hour last night because it's so mellow I was falling asleep. Will play more tonight.

I didn't see many enemies so far. And I feel like I'm getting lost already.

Deleted member 3897

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoy that the game does not tell me everything and I need to dicover and find things out myself.

Toejam2501

Oct 25, 2017
2nd Floor?
I made it to a door with Spiked vines in front of it, ive tried my lantern beam and a bomb with no success (im bummed i wasted my only bomb). any ideas?

Last edited:

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
Is there a good explaining video on youtube about the game? I like the art style but for Roguelike, I either really love it or really hate it so im on the fence about this one especially since they didn't reveal a lot of videos until release so it's a bit worrysome and I don't want to buy something I don't know if im gonna like for 25$

the get a game pass trial for free and see if you like it.

Deleted member 11976

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
2nd Floor?
I made it to a door with Spiked vines in front of it, ive tried my lantern beam and a bomb with no success (im bummed i wasted my only bomb). any ideas?

Try equipping a Torch or anything else that might be able to create fire.

What should I leave in The Pocket?

I've left rarer items there, stuff like a Crystal I got from
those blue Jellyfish-like things that you can only see by light of the Lantern
. It's useful to crunch down multiples of items into stacks and keep them in The Pocket if you're hurting for inventory space as well.

Tips for people concerned about survival mechanics:
1F - 3F have frequent puddles you can drink from, infinitely, to quench Thirst. There are also ways of finding more Bottles to hold Water or Potions. Remember that if you drink from a puddle while holding an(y) Bottle(s), it will auto-fill!
1F - 3F have mice, snakes, and fish (and more animals) you can kill and loot for a chance at Morsels and Fillets that will satisfy Hunger. From carcasses you can also occasionally harvest crafting materials. Do be cautious about eating everything you grab, meat and veg, because some things might inflict you with debilitating, temporary status ailments. Don't want to spoil this. Some things you might want to cook first.
4F and below is where things start to change. Prepare for an arduous journey!

Another thing I learned late last night: Bandages and Salves not only stanch bleeding but they will restore HP as well. If you're not Bleeding, you can still use these to restore (lots!) of HP if it's all you have to save yourself. These stack (I think as high as 4 or 8... can't remember) in your inventory so they don't take up as much inventory space as individual Food items, by contrast.

Last edited:

Landawng

The Fallen
Nov 9, 2017
Denver/Aurora, CO
Damn, super bummed this isn't on game pass for the PC. Can't be affording to be spending 25 bucks on myself this time of year. Loving the impressions tho!! Soundtrack is damn good, listening at work right now and it's got me feeling real nice

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
Damn, super bummed this isn't on game pass for the PC. Can't be affording to be spending 25 bucks on myself this time of year. Loving the impressions tho!! Soundtrack is damn good, listening at work right now and it's got me feeling real nice

does money change values at different times of year? :) lol

it's $25. unless you're living paycheck to paycheck (and if you are, sorry) then it's not that much.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Played about 2 hours

It's not for me

Oh fuck, is it actually? I didn't know this had survival mechanics.

Easy skip for me then, I hate those games. Such a shame.

Ukraine

Banned
Jun 1, 2018
Still no reviews? this game got so much hype a year or two ago at E3... I was always wondering why...

Oct 25, 2017
Played about 4 hours of it and i'm completely in love with it. If this level of quality persists during the entire game, i can see it ending it becoming my GOTY or something near that, surpassing both God of War (runner up) and Celeste (my fav game of the year).

Oh fuck, is it actually? I didn't know this had survival mechanics.

Easy skip for me then, I hate those games. Such a shame.

It's absolutely nothing like Don't Starve. There are survival/crafting mechanics, but the focus of the game is in exploration and discovery. You don't create bases or build a lot of stuff (besides the items you use)

I dislike Don't Starve. I'm loving Below.

Harp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Played about 2 hours

It's not for me

Can anyone else confirm/deny? If this is indeed the case, I'll pass too for now. Way too much other shit to play. Not interested in another survival roguelike, but might be once it's on Humble Monthly or during a sale later down the road.

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure I'm enjoying this so far due to the highly zoomed out view. It's proving extremely difficult to get immersed.

Very atmospheric with great sound design otherwise.
That's interesting. I'm the complete opposite.

I love how zoomed out the entire thing is. You truly feel alone.

Askherserenity

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
The survival aspects are really not as huge a deal as some people here are making them out to be. It's pretty light from what I've played.

It for sure isn't Don't Starve.

But to each their own I guess. I've been loving it so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.