• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
I'm sure that some people remember the recent Opinion piece from Polygon "Games need to return to black and white morality" (that Ben Kuchera edited) and how it was widely discussed and criticized, as seen in the previous thread here:
www.resetera.com

Polygon: Games need to return to black and white morality

https://www.polygon.com/2020/8/3/21352437/games-morality-last-of-of-us-bioshock-good-bad?fbclid=IwAR2Tq4QRXGnnLDllaDkn83EOSOBeq7iR-Pr5tXKXTlpDH9FBTHpVUR96WFU I sincerely think they might have outdone their infamous pie chart with this little gem.

Following this, multiple freelancers seem to have come out on Twitter to discuss how it was a pain to work with him, and how that didn't make them want to work with Polygon (anymore or at all). Here's a few examples, you can see more with the "retweets with comments" feature:

Now, a few days ago, the Editor In Chief Chris Plante posted this thread, and it was retweeted by most freelancers that talked about Ben Kuchera (as seen above):

After checking for a bit on Wayback Machine, it seems that Kuchera changed his role from "Senior Editor, Opinion" to "Senior Editor, Reviews" in mid-July. Doesn't mean much as the "black and white morality" opinion piece released after this, but it's possible it was already planned. He's also still releasing articles there, so it seems he's still working at Polygon at least.

Best of luck to Maddy Myers in that role.

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still remember years back Kuchera having some wild hot (bad) takes.
Didn't knew he was still at Polygon

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
I remember hearing stories about this guy all the way back when he worked for Penny Arcade.

Feb 24, 2018
Good luck Maddy, I enjoyed her writing on TheMarySue and Kotaku.

Makes me wonder what the original version of that black and white article was.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here

im not super familiar with pieces like this, but i am aware editors have a lot of sway with the final article, but I have a question:

is it common for editors to insert other opinions in a piece that's already an opinion piece?

it seems like that should be kept for its own separate opinion article

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
I still remember years back Kuchera having some wild hot (bad) takes.
Didn't knew he was still at Polygon

My only reference point for who he is, is that he wrote an article pre-E3 2013 defending the Xbox always-online/DRM stuff and was adamant Sony would follow suit and it was going to be industry-standard. I always remember that as a historically bad take (although tbf he wasn't the only one to have it back then).

Anyway Maddy is good people so this seems like a smart move.

HgS

Dec 13, 2019
The odd thing about Kuchera is that he loves to seem to stir up drama with really odd takes... The kind you have to squint your eyes and stand on your head to vaguely make out. But, he also seems to have a real hard time/aversion to people who disagree with him, even though his writing is basically click bait designed to get that kind of reaction.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
My only reference point for who he is, is that he wrote an article pre-E3 2013 defending the Xbox always-online/DRM stuff and was adamant Sony would follow suit and it was going to be industry-standard. I always remember that as a historically bad take (although tbf he wasn't the only one to have it back then).

He said that any concerns the audience raised about it were "a fart in the wind."

It's got to be one of the worst takes in the history of games media.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
So they've replaced one person who has some really bad takes about TLoUP2 with another?

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
The fuck are you going on about? The issue here is pretty clear, it's all in the OP. Why would you try to insert some abuse discussion into it?

Vox/Polygon sadly has a history of protecting abusers until it's abundantly clear they can't any more, usually in the face of an overwhelming outcry. Doesn't necessarily mean the same hold true for Kuchera but I can understand someone jumping to this conclusion based on past behaviour.

Jay_AD

Oct 28, 2017
Guys, Arthur Gies hasn't professionally written about games for years at this point. Leave the man be lol

It's incredible how much "Journalist had a few bad takes about games" is this unforgivable sin around here that people will bring them up forever.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
Who cares what they think about TLOU2? That means nothing here. Besides Maddys discussions about the game has been pretty good.

Apart from the bits where she suggests that there is something wrong with the way Ellie and Dina choose to live their lives as a gay couple, sure. Or that the game would have been identical if Ellie were male. Oh yes, and the incredibly poor taste 'jokes' about a segment of a game where you go and kill developers.

Last edited:

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
I like Maddy on the Triple Click Podcast - so that seems like a good decision.

Never gave a damn about Ben K.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
Ben Kuchera is a name I haven't heard in a long while.

It's making me nostalgic for 2013.
I wouldn't say it was a simpler or better time because Gamergate was in full swing.
But something about the crazy hot takes riling up people was entertaining.

But they were about things like always online drm and other silly things about how the Xbox one was going to dominate.

But now it seems the hot takes are like "Black and White Morality in games is good", with no awareness of how fucked up that is.

OP
OP
Naga

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Guys, Arthur Gies hasn't professionally written about games for years at this point. Leave the man be lol

It's incredible how much "Journalist had a few bad takes about games" is this unforgivable sin around here that people will bring them up forever.
While he's not into it anymore, it's only since a year ago, not "years". He was working with Variety last year:
variety.com

Atari’s New Console Could be a Very Appealing Desktop PC

Michael Arzt, chief operating officer of Atari Connected Devices and designated ambassador for Atari’s rapidly approaching (and moderately controversial) VCS 800 console, is, it’s safe to say, frustrated.
variety.com

‘Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order’ Hands-On

Variety was given the opportunity to play "Fallen Order" for almost an hour.

He's now with NYT, not gaming-related.

Jay_AD

Oct 28, 2017
While he's not into it anymore, it's only since a year ago, not "years". He was working with Variety last year:
variety.com

Atari’s New Console Could be a Very Appealing Desktop PC

Michael Arzt, chief operating officer of Atari Connected Devices and designated ambassador for Atari’s rapidly approaching (and moderately controversial) VCS 800 console, is, it’s safe to say, frustrated.
variety.com

‘Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order’ Hands-On

Variety was given the opportunity to play "Fallen Order" for almost an hour.

He's now with NYT, not gaming-related.

Oh. Felt like he kinda dropped off after leaving Polygon.

Still changes nothing about my point. The hate-boner some folks still nurse about the guy is kinda... weird?

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
I only know her from splitscreen/triple click and waypoint radio cameos(and she is fun to listen to on those splitscreen making her a permanent seat was an extremely good decision), I hope with the change polygon can work towards a better reputation for their written stuff. The video side of things has been killing it for basically 2-3 years now(might be longer or shorter)?

Most of what I've seen on Polygon seemed pretty trashy to read the one exception that sticks out in my mind is the Final Fantasy dev retrospective.

stryke

Oct 28, 2017
Maddy "i want a mini game to kill ND devs, omg it's a joke haha" Myers sounds like a great replacement

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
I never took Polygon seriously due to Kuchera and Arthur Gies. Let's hope Maddy will be able to turn things around.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kuchera and Gies are the two biggest knobs that Polygon has ever hired. Hearing that he is difficult to work with is entirely unsurprising.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
Good.

Kuchera had the worst combo of bad opinions and a skin so thin he couldn't stand being called out on them.

Maddy is a massive upgrade, good on her.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Little surprised to learn that Plante is EIC at Polygon, then I remembered his absolute zero freezing cold takes on The Last of Us 2 and the opinion piece's publication makes more sense.

Deleted member 76797

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 1, 2020
Whenever I saw a scorching take in a polygon headline, I always knew it was a ben kuch joint before clicking. He was awful at writing, so how he had editing responsibilities is beyond me.

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
I won't say we need less progressive voices on games journalism, on the contrary.

But Kuchera was just... almost just a troll at points. He seemed less interested in informing and keeping bad practices in the awareness of the public than he was in just having attention. And sure, that is kinda of his job to get attention, but I've seen people like Jim Sterling who are able to generate attention and clicks WITHOUT going to such lengths. I'd say Jim is a great example actually of how you get to still be abrasive, acid, sarcastic and bite back while still keeping in mind what your true objective as a journalist is.

Simuly

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 8, 2019
He's an obnoxious character like his former co-worker Arthur Gies. Polygon can't ever be taken seriously with him there.

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
Kuchera certainly had some...unique takes, but I don't know that he's ever tweeted a developer death threat joke at the height of said developer receiving death threats.

Oct 29, 2017
The only reason he's kept on staff there is to start shit for clicks and "engagement." He a professional troll, so I'm not surprised.