• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
He reminds me of those extremists who think that real music is only Bach and the rest is noise. They make up some unneeded rules to fit their agenda.
No joke I for real once saw somebody here on era argue that any music with electric guitars didnt qualify as real music. Then we all bowed down in awe of how smart he was and took turns blowing him while he huffed his own farts.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
always ask for a definition of what music is when this kind of bullshit happens and then watch them twist into knots while having a nice chuckle at their expense

even if you go with the noise set to rhythm there's music out there to challenge that definition

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
mah daddy said Rap isn't music, and he went to school for music, so...

also i'm a intellectual and an expert source of shit.

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When people say they don't like rap music it always gets an eye roll from.

When they say "rap isn't real music" i just assume they hate black people.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
millions of white people that chose rap music over their parents' respect: feeling rather vindicated.

Who the fuck is the bellend giggling with him in the video?
"man i had to get stoned as all of thee fucks to even sit in a room to talk to this dude. then it took all my power to laugh instead of pulling his chair out from under him, while he starts going on about rap not being music"

Zaphod

Aug 21, 2019
This is a perfect example of the "conservatives do poorly in college" meme. He takes a stance, but can't really back it up, and he doesn't even feel the need to since he knows he's right. His facts are just feelings solidified through his own misplaced confidence.

This would be a D at best in English 102.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
People on gaming forums that occasionally gets on a soap box and proclaim what is a game and what isn't are relegated to the gutters and banlists.

Same should apply here.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What a fucking moron, here's an actual music theorist talking about the insane depth of even the most trappest of rap:

My favorite bit of this video is the proverbial mic drop at the end where he ties it into the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles theme song. Rap concepts, invading MY nerd space?! It's more common than you think!

Deleted member 38573

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
millions of white people that chose rap music over their parents' respect: feeling rather vindicated.

"man i had to get stoned as all of thee fucks to even sit in a room to talk to this dude. then it took all my power to laugh instead of pulling his chair out from under him, while he starts going on about rap not being music"

sighhhh it's a black conservative....
hhh4.png

Nintenleo

Nov 9, 2017
Italy
I mean, I thought that technically you would have to be brownish, stinky and be expelled from an ass to be a piece of shit.
But I guess the existence of Ben Shapiro proves me wrong.

cormano91939

Banned
Sep 4, 2019
He's not being totally serious. In a lot of families and cultures, arguments are sport and another form of entertainment. "Arguments" like these are pet argument that are trotted out to have fun and laugh -you may actually believe the argument's contention, but the true purpose is to get riled up and see how far you can go in supporting an argument that is inconsequential. The more inconsequential, the more hilarious. Do this all the time with friends and family, haha.

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He's not being totally serious. In a lot of families and cultures, arguments are sport and another form of entertainment. "Arguments" like these are pet argument that are trotted out to have fun and laugh -you may actually believe the argument's contention, but the true purpose is to get riled up and see how far you can go in supporting an argument that is inconsequential. The more inconsequential, the more hilarious. Do this all the time with friends and family, haha.
In this context there's been absolutely a racist agenda within this "argument".

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
No joke I for real once saw somebody here on era argue that any music with electric guitars didnt qualify as real music. Then we all bowed down in awe of how smart he was and took turns blowing him while he huffed his own farts.
I like to think some snooty musician in Europe back in the 1500s turned his nose up at this newfangled violin everybody was playing, insisting this screeching and sawing had no real melody and continued belting out old tunes on his aging shawm.

Albin

Jun 29, 2018
Been hearing stuff like this for as long as I've listened to rap, even from people who claim to like rap. I'm not even bothered by it anymore, it's just stupid. Basically, if your definition of music excludes rap you obviously need to change it.

You could probably come up with some dumbass definition of cars that excludes electric cars, or of TVs that excludes flatscreens or idiots that excludes Ben Shapiro..

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I like to think some snooty musician in Europe back in the 1500s turned his nose up at this newfangled violin everybody was playing, insisting this screeching and sawing had no real melody and continued belting out old tunes on his aging shawm.

When early religion was turning away from gregorian chanting to what we would now consider "church organ" music, music theorists at the time called the very concepts Ben Shapiro is extolling a literal sin.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
That's okay. I believe that Ben Shapiro doesn't have a take that isn't complete shit. I mean, I have yet to hear one, but people still take him seriously.

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
Harmony's not required for music (i.e. early Gregorian chant). Unless you're rapping in a totally monotone voice, there's melody there and changing pitches (doesn't have to be on a traditional Western scale).

Of course this ignores that there's a ton of melody/harmony in most rap.

I do prefer hip-hop when the backing track is more interesting than just a looped sample that doesn't change, but that's my preference as melody grabs me more than lyrics in any form of music.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
  1. It supports his racist beliefs.
  2. Although he talks constantly about how rational he is, Ben is not actually rational.
3. Stupid shit like this gets you clicks and attention.

The internet is so weird it is sometimes hard to know when someone is saying or doing something because they believe it or for attention.

Shapiro is such a piece of shit that I can believe he actually believes this take though.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why is anyone even paying this guy attention again? His entire platform, his entire presence in the public consciousness relies on him saying blatantly stupid shit that racists will agree with and everyone else will get pissed off at.

Just ignore him. He ain't even worth the effort.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
3. Stupid shit like this gets you clicks and attention.

The internet is so weird it is sometimes hard to know when someone is saying or doing something because they believe it or for attention.

Shapiro is such a piece of shit that I can believe he actually believes this take though.

He's been saying this take about rap, deftly serious, for almost a decade.

Nov 17, 2017
Something created by white people.

Also this definition is based of classical music from centuries ago. If we're claiming nothing that moves away from those ideas can be real music, we're drastically limiting our ability for development and new ideas.
Yep. A lot of people have this Eurocentric view of what music is. It's what is overwhelmingly taught so you have people that cannot understand music from anywhere outside of a Eurocentric lens where the core and truth of what defines music is based on Classical music from Europe. Or in other words, the music rules white people made.

Simon21

Apr 25, 2018
What a fucking moron, here's an actual music theorist talking about the insane depth of even the most trappest of rap:

My favorite bit of this video is the proverbial mic drop at the end where he ties it into the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles theme song. Rap concepts, invading MY nerd space?! It's more common than you think!

In this thread we stan Adam Neely.

DorkLord54

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
I'm surprised this is news to some people. Much like his unironic love of the DCEU, Ben's had this opinion out in the wild for a long time.
"not a lot of harmony and not a lot of melody"

how much melody does it need

what is a sufficient amount of melody ben

id love to know
The thing is, he's a self-professed fan of classical music, aka music that is often stereotyped as either being amelodic or deemphasising melody in favour of other aspects of the work.

Pyramid Head

Oct 27, 2017
Reminder: There are people who treat Ben Shapiro as an "intellectual".
It would have been nice if that BBC interview had been the end of Shapiro. The first time he dared to step of of the kiddie pool of whatever it is that passes for mainstream US political discourse and he got absolutely eviscerated. I doubt we'll ever see him try that again. He'll just stick to taking this kind of moronic jab, safe in his womb of racist stupidity.

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
It be great if everyone in the music industry pounced on his ass and called him out for being a dumb little shit

Oct 27, 2017
This is the shit he does. He has establishes deeply ingrained racist and conservative views and he uses his little pea brain to come up with faux intellectual justifications for them so other pea brains can feel alright thinking they aren't shitbags.

Oct 27, 2017
Just a prank bro.

Status
Not open for further replies.