• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

De-mon

Oct 27, 2017
332f33f3-99bd-4471-937e-f63317e05d6c-2060x1236.jpeg

Bernardo Bertolucci, the multi-award-winning Italian director of Last Tango in Paris, The Last Emperor and The Dreamers, has died at the age of 77 after a battle with cancer, his publicist confirmed. He had been confined to a wheelchair for over a decade, after surgery on a herniated disc in 2003 was unsuccessful, and rendered him unable to walk.

In a film-making career that stretched back to the early 60s, Bertolucci became a key figure of the extraordinary Italian new wave (alongside, and the equal of, Antonioni, Fellini, and Pasolini) but – uniquely – made a successful transition to large-scale Hollywood film-making with 1987's The Last Emperor, which won nine Oscars, including best picture and best director for Bertolucci.

Source

Rivyn

Oct 26, 2017

tormented

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
He made some great stuff, but by all accounts was a monstrous tool. The last news cycle involving him was earlier this year when he criticized Ridley Scott for dropping Kevin Spacey from All the Money in the World for crying out loud. Now that's a complicated legacy...

hjort

Nov 9, 2017
At least he admitted he felt a little bad about having an actress actually raped for a fucking movie before he died. B.I.H.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/20...-tango-paris-rape-scene-confession-bertolucci
Holy fucking shit, I didn't know about this.

"I feel guilty but I do not regret. To make movies sometimes to obtain something we have to be completely free." Free to remove the freedom of others. Fucking scum.

EDIT: From what I understand she was not technically raped, but that doesn't mean she wasn't abused and treated like shit.

Last edited:

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
At least he admitted he felt a little bad about having an actress actually raped for a fucking movie before he died. B.I.H.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/20...-tango-paris-rape-scene-confession-bertolucci
Was she actually raped? I thought they didn't tell her there was a rape scene and surprised her with that. I didn't think Brando actually penetrated her with butter. But i could be wrong. By the way, i also think not telling your actress what the next scene will be like and then surprise her with a rape scene is disgusting on its own.
She was obviously traumatized by the event.

Edit: it's in the article you posted........................................... Maybe you should read what you post:
Schneider told the Daily Mail in 2007 that no sexual intercourse took place on the film set – but said she was kept in the dark about aspects of the scene which had a profound effect on her.

Speaking at the time, she said: "They only told me about it before we had to film the scene and I was so angry. I should have called my agent or had my lawyer come to the set because you can't force someone to do something that isn't in the script but at the time, I didn't know that."

She added: "During the scene, even though what Marlon was doing wasn't real, I was crying real tears. I felt humiliated and, to be honest, I felt a little raped, both by Marlon and Bertoucci."

Last edited:

madkiller

May 29, 2018
RIP to one of the last giants of Italian Cinema.

What a career he had.

The Conformist
The Sheltering Sky
Novecento
The Dreamers
Last Tango in Paris
The Last Empreror
Stealing Beauty

She wasn't raped, she just didn't know about the inclusion of the butter in the scene. The sex scenes were simulated.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
A remarkable cinematic visionary and total shit human being. Predators should have no place in free society, not even the "forgiving" world of art. Good riddance.

daft_cat

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow, what a week. first Nicolas Roeg and now Bertolucci. Two of the finest filmmakers to have ever walked the earth. The Conformist in particular is one hell of a film.

borghe

Oct 27, 2017
like most amazing filmmakers, from most accounts he had his terrible moments.. including amping up the rape scene without her prior knowledge. While she wasn't raped or sexually assaulted, the trauma caused by making it more violent than what was in the script, and doing so without her prior knowledge or consent.. is a total dick move. Shit doesn't have to be illegal to destroy someone's life.......

a complicated legacy indeed. like most of cinema's most influential filmmakers.

RockAction

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, what a week. first Nicolas Roeg and now Bertolucci. Two of the finest filmmakers to have ever walked the earth. The Conformist in particular is one hell of a film.

This.

Love both Performance and The Dreamers by each of these directors. Both very influential and huge part of my early interest in film and music etc when I was 16/17.

Gwenpoolshark

Jan 5, 2018
The Pool
If your art requires you to actually harm people in order to make it, you should not be considered a great artist. I like several of Bertolucci's films but he's at best tainted goods in my eyes. Huge asterisk next to his name.

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
He said he intended to actually, genuinely sexually humiliate her to get the take he wanted. I'm not sure how much of a semantic argument can exist over that.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
The gulf between the respect he had in not using a frontal nude shot that Brando didn't want in the film and what he did to Schneider isn't even in the same universe as 'most amazing filmmakers' and shouldn't be hand-waved away as a common minor character flaw. What he did was deeply fucked up so to hell with this uncritical chorus of praise.