• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

coconut gun

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
you can't, actually, because bigots get super pissed when you start talking about how to help marginalized groups and vote for the folks who say the marginalized groups are The Real Problem

this implies people are bigoted by nature and not by socialization. white people being told that they're financially broken because of poc will believe that, yes. these people can be swayed away from these thoughts if their financial ills are treated.

convince them they aren't being "oppressed" by poc (which is an absurd idea) and are being oppressed by the rich.

Hey, but as long as they're with you when it comes to economic justice right? Fuck that racial justice shit.

economic and racial issues are so intertwined in america that helping the former will certainly improve the latter. coming at it in reverse will be a harder sell, because people are selfish.

Oct 28, 2018
you can't, actually, because bigots get super pissed when you start talking about how to help marginalized groups and vote for the folks who say the marginalized groups are The Real Problem

They think this because they've been socialized to believe it. People aren't born bigots, and they aren't inherently bigoted, they've fallen victim to a lot of external forces telling them that that way of thinking is correct and legitimate. Speaking to those voters and telling them that economic prosperity for them does not have to be predicated on the oppression of marginalized groups is extremely important. You break that perception, inject a different narrative into their head, and you can bring them to your side.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
All I want from you is for you to answer the question as to whether were being productive by making posts like you have been doing. Theres a reason you keep avoiding the question and trying to turn it around on me like I'm asking something crazy of you with such a simple question.

I think I'm being plenty productive yes, I believe I have a strong ability to get people to open up with their true feelings rather than through the political filter.

It's not like this is my only tone or approach ever.... with other topics I can bury you in citations.... when the time commitment that takes behooves it.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
They think this because they've been socialized to believe it. People aren't born bigots, and they aren't inherently bigoted, they've fallen victim to a lot of external forces telling them that that way of thinking is correct and legitimate. Speaking to those voters and telling them that economic prosperity for them does not have to be predicated on the oppression of marginalized groups is extremely important. You break that perception, inject a different narrative into their head, and you can bring them to your side.

yes but that's not the strategy that poster suggested, nor is that the strategy being employed by the sanders campaign or sanders supporters. that poster's pitch was specifically that you can get bigots to vote for you on the basis of class solidarity and that's the key to winning elections, and they said fuck all about actually combating bigotry

(as always, y'all are all welcome to come down to Alabama and Mississippi and help out our local DSAs with your electioneering strats of getting all these Nice Working Class White People to vote for Bernie. it'd be an excellent proof of your theories that could be repeatable across the country)

fierygunrob

One Winged Slayer
Jan 16, 2018
What the fuck, how does one even consider them the same?
His big issue was always anything anti establishment. He's anti war as well, but any time I've tried to explain how insane that makes his Trump support(haven't even touched on Gabbard with him because she's not really relevant) he accuses me of being a brainwashed Democrat. it's productive.

Oct 25, 2017
Again continue to evade the question because you all know I'm right. If you want to be sassy and talk down to others so you can feel better about yourselves go right ahead, I never said you couldn't do so. It still isn't doing anything of substance to mitigate the issues.

I wasn't aware asking a question you all seem intent to avoid answering at all costs was such an issue for some of you.

All I want from you is for you to answer the question as to whether were being productive by making posts like you have been doing. Theres a reason you keep avoiding the question and trying to turn it around on me like I'm asking something crazy of you with such a simple question. I'm also not upset at all lol. I'm literally just trying to talk to you and you think by asking a very simple question is somehow me being combative. Like that in and of itself is pretty revealing about your approach to this topic.

I just don't really think you talking down to people is really helpful to the discussion and I think you need to seriously consider if talking to people like this is productive.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
this implies people are bigoted by nature and not by socialization. white people being told that they're financially broken because of poc will believe that, yes. these people can be swayed away from these thoughts if their financial ills are treated.

BS. This ignores why the social safety net deteriorated in the US in the first place. As Black People gained more rights in the years that followed World War II, the various social policies started to deteriorate. Then, in the decades following the civil rights act, the deterioration of the social safety net accelerated because minorities were being less oppressed. Just recently, a ton of people living in red states votes for more Republicans who blocked Medicaid expansion all because it was a Black man who presided in the White House.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I just don't really think you talking down to people is really helpful to the discussion and I think you need to seriously consider if talking to people like this is productive.
Youre continuing to prove my point for me, in fact, better than I ever could. These are really innocuous questions that people are seemingly getting really combative about.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
And who in here is being more honest, any specific posters or posts that suggest this is the case? And how does being more honest help with the solution?

Are you like a cop or something? Why are we playing 100 questions? What do you want from me? What do you want from me? Do you like Adam Lambert? Have you seen him with Queen?

Oct 27, 2017
economic and racial issues are so intertwined in america that helping the former will certainly improve the latter. coming at it in reverse will be a harder sell, because people are selfish.
Certainly. But the intersectionality of the two isn't as intertwined as some have convinced themselves of; there's too much 'rising tide will lift all boats' belief in a lot of the progressive economic policies Dems are championing and they amount to half measures for marginalized communities. Eventually, sooner rather than later, racial justice issues need to be at the forefront of the conversation and shape the direction the Democrats go in.

Opto

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Again continue to evade the question because you all know I'm right. If you want to be sassy and talk down to others so you can feel better about yourselves go right ahead, I never said you couldn't do so. It still isn't doing anything of substance to mitigate the issues.
Productive? PRODUCTIVE? Would you like us to follow parliamentary procedure or more of a debate team way? This shit Bernie pulled upset a bunch of people, both those directly at the end of Rogan's bigotry and those that sympathize with them. There's no solving any of this unless somehow we're secretly fighting to sway a Bernie campaigner high enough in rank to reconsider this endorsement parading

Deleted member 82

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What the fuck, how does one even consider them the same?

My guess is, if your fulfill at least two of these prerequisites:
- you're not very educated in politics, policies, or the different candidates' programs, i.e. you're mostly apolitical
- you're working/lower-middle class and you listen to whichever candidates addresses that part of the population the most,
- you take some generalizations of the media at face value, i.e., in this instance, "Sanders is just as extreme as Trump!!!",
- you like candidates who don't sugarcoat their message but repeat it over and over.

You might end up hesitating between Trump and Sanders, even though they're polar opposites, because none of the points I've listed have to do with ideology or actual policy. The things that should actually matter the most when choosing a candidate.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Are you like a cop or something? Why are we playing 100 questions? What do you want from me? What do you want from me? Do you like Adam Lambert? Have you seen him with Queen?
You keep asking what I want but I keep telling you what I want because I'm posing the questions to you openly. You just keep evading them and then try to turn the discussion on me like I'm attacking you. If you don't want to have a discussion about the topic youve spent numerous posts in here discussing I'm wondering why youre in here, or why you continue to quote me but not engage with anything I'm talking to you about. Least of all when these are very simple, innocuous questions.
these vicious personal attacks are really unnecessary
What attack? That post you quoted didn't even mention the person but her tactic.

Edited pronoun per request from poster.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Productive? PRODUCTIVE? Would you like us to follow parliamentary procedure or more of a debate team way? This shit Bernie pulled upset a bunch of people, both those directly at the end of Rogan's bigotry and those that sympathize with them. There's no solving any of this unless somehow we're secretly fighting to sway a Bernie campaigner high enough in rank to reconsider this endorsement parading
I never disagreed with what happened here. I also don't think thats the only solution to the problem at hand either. Bernie and his team have reversed course and apologized on a number of people theyve hired or supported. I really don't think we need to suggest something as extreme as what you did to change people's mind on the issue, or get his campaign to notice.

I generally use gender neutral pronouns when I'm unsure of anyone's gender so I just went with their. I will refer to use as such moving forward. Still not really sure why youre still avoiding the discussion with me here.

Oct 27, 2017
There are a lot of posts with the disclaimer You are ignoring content by this member for me on this page. Not surprised based on the other interactions here lol.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I generally use gender neutral pronouns when I'm unsure of anyone's gender so I just went with their. I will refer to use as such moving forward. Still not really sure why youre still avoiding the discussion with me here.

Because I'm not your trained seal.... and you asked me a specific question and I gave you an answer and then you demanded more.... and you seem really oddly fixated on me for reasons I don't quite get.... and this isn't about me, and I find this really boring, and just to make you happy really fucking boring.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The interview doesn't. Cutting a twitter ad to boost Rogan sure dismisses why Rogan is so hurtful.

If this was a one off thing with Bernie it would be easier to let it slide but he constantly supports and boosts shitty people just because they like him.

See: Gabbard, Tulsi and Uyger, Cenk and Sirota, David and on and on
Exactly, it's a known pattern with Bernie and its telling

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Because I'm not your trained seal.... and you asked me a specific question and I gave you an answer and then you demanded more.... and you seem really oddly fixated on me for reasons I don't quite get....
Again you keep suggesting that I'm making demands of you or that youre someone that needs to listen to me but I haven't or suggested anything of the sort. I've just been trying to get you to answer a very simple question that you keep dancing around engaging with. Which is weird because you keep quoting me over and over again so you obviously want to engage on some level, but thus far its only been on a level where you get to be pretty combative and seemingly upset at me for trying to engage with you.

I didn't demand more. I followed up my question with asking you to expand on the answer because the one you gave didn't really provide an answer of substance. I don't understand who has started being more honest about anything nor how that helps whats happening here. I posted one post regarding something you said in here and thus far have only spoken to you when its in reply from you replying to me. Thats how a discussion works, why are you trying to make it out like I have a fixation on you when I'm literally just using this message board for exactly what it was made for. To have a discussion. If that bothers you I can leave you alone and stop speaking to you. I seriously don't understand what about this topic is causing so much difficulty here.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
Youre proving my point about not having a great response to people asking you if this is the best strategy to actually tackle these problems.
It's crazy how that poster's posts quickly devolved into straight immaturity and trying to turn something on you at the first sign of scrutiny. If you're not interested in passive aggressive barbs, probably best to move on.

Deleted member 15125

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NKLSTYP.png

coconut gun

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Certainly. But the intersectionality of the two isn't as intertwined as some have convinced themselves of; there's too much 'rising tide will lift all boats' belief in a lot of the progressive economic policies Dems are championing and they amount to half measures for marginalized communities. Eventually, sooner rather than later, racial justice issues need to be at the forefront of the conversation and shape the direction the Democrats go in.

yeah i mean obviously racial justice is gonna have to take the forefront, but if the initial focus isn't on fixing our fundamentally broken economic system that effects every citizen of the fuckin country then the idpol revolution is just gonna be about having more minority hedge fund managers lol

it sucks ass, i honestly despise everything about what this country has come to represent and anyone who belongs to a marginalized group deserves to be fuckin pissed about the current situation.

Deleted member 2426

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ultimately there's an actual difference between engaging with Republican-leaning voters WITHOUT compromising your policies (Bernie) and suggesting that you need to "meet them at the middle" aka compromise your policies to appeal to Republican-leaning voters (The liberal centrists).
Totally unhappy with Bernie signal-boosting Rogan, but this is not the "hypocritical" gotcha moment some are trying to say it is.

Opto

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Okay. I mean based on how they're going after another poster aggressively for no reason at all, I don't feel so petty now.
From this I think you might be ignoring someone who is being kinda rude and weird but it's kinda weird to just drop a comment like that out of the blue is all I'm saying. not saying you intended to but it's a little pot-stirry

edit: realizing I might just be adding to all this and getting off topic at the same time ugh

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Again you keep suggesting that I'm making demands of you or that youre someone that needs to listen to me but I haven't or suggested anything of the sort. I've just been trying to get you to answer a very simple question that you keep dancing around engaging with. Which is weird because you keep quoting me over and over again so you obviously want to engage on some level, but thus far its only been on a level where you get to be pretty combative and seemingly upset at me for trying to engage with you.

I didn't demand more. I followed up my question with asking you to expand on the answer because the one you gave didn't really provide an answer of substance. I don't understand who has started being more honest about anything nor how that helps whats happening here. I posted one post regarding something you said in here and thus far have only spoken to you when its in reply from you replying to me. Thats how a discussion works, why are you trying to make it out like I have a fixation on you when I'm literally just using this message board for exactly what it was made for. To have a discussion. If that bothers you I can leave you alone and stop speaking to you. I seriously don't understand what about this topic is causing so much difficulty here.

I mean I keep quoting you because I find this interaction amusing, though strange, and I enjoy being irreverent from time to time.

Though I do appreciate the irony that this is mostly a discussion of tone and tactic and multiple people have pointed out that your tone and tactic towards me is odd.

Nov 1, 2017
Not trying to downplay your concerns...but this is a very online controversy. I have big doubts this swings things up.

Thanks for taking the time to consider that. It's just that people keep posting things for their arguments but have to look at what they're posting. It couldn't have swung things in a statistically significant direction either way in this poll if it happened at the end of data collection.

Jan 18, 2018
Some people have a black and white view of the world and if you associate in anyway with "bad" people then you are somehow 100% complicit with them.
Im starting to realize this. I caught myself thinking this way for a while until i took a step back and really thought about it. We're so busy judging each other and figting amongst ourselves we cant focus on the men burning our world.

Status
Not open for further replies.