• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Couple things :

1) They have been abandoned. The DNC does not seriously invest in Mississippi. Chicken and the egg.
Your assertion that democrats abandoned Mississippi when Bernie didn't even bother to compete there and then laud Bernie as the savior of the state is fucking hilarious.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Your assertion that democrats abandoned Mississippi when Bernie didn't even bother to compete there and then laud Bernie as the savior of the state is fucking hilarious.

I haven't lauded Sanders as the saviour of Mississippi. He will not come close to flipping it or achieving systemic change in the state. But by all means ignore the rest of the post to partake in Sanders Bashing.

Last edited:

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Society shapes us but it does not rob us our agency to not be racist

I think people can change but i don't think it's as often as people might wish
Don't disagree. It takes continued effort to be a better person than you were yesterday. The point I'm making is that the decked is stacked societally in favor of people turning out to be racist versus not

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
xenocide Psychoward

Yeah maybe Sanders should keep his mouth shut if he hasn't gone out there to try to improve the situation in Mississippi

I haven't tracked down his campaign stop lists but Sanders has been active in Mississippi FYI

Seperate rallies.

Hey now, remember when third wayers freaked out in 2018 because Sanders made that comment about the Democratic Party having failed at the local level over the last 5-10 years?

I wonder where he said that from?

Oh....

"Last week, I joined Bernie Sanders in Memphis, Tennessee, and Jackson, Mississippi, to commemorate the 50th anniversary of Martin Luther King Jr.'s assassination. Sanders was overwhelmingly well received by both passersby and the local audiences who came to hear him speak."

How about that.

Last edited:

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
yeah I see why people are upset by this statement now. or at least a reason why
Just to contextualize that, these are the Confederate states, the percentage of Obama's support in those states in 2008, and how much of his voters were African-American (going by CNN exit polls so the margins may not match exactly):

Alabama: Obama 39% (73%)
Arkansas: Obama 39% (29%)
Florida: Obama 51% (24%)
Georgia: Obama 47% (63%)
Louisiana: Obama 40% (68%)
Mississippi: Obama 43% (75%)

North Carolina: Obama 50% (44%)
South Carolina: Obama 45% (53%)
Tennessee: Obama 42% (27%)
Texas: Obama 44% (27%)
Virginia: Obama 53% (35%)

I think it's important to recognize this because this is where a lot of the frustration came with the whole "who cares, they're just red states" defense when Clinton crushed Sanders in the Southern states. People acted as if all the Democratic primaries were determined by stereotypical rednecks voting for the more conservative candidate, but the backbone of the party in the South are African-Americans.

Also worth noting that by 2016, the majority of Clinton's supporters in the GE in Florida and Texas were black or Hispanic.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I just found out that Tenn state law forces the governor to sign a proclaimation honoring Robert E Lew and Nathan Bedford Forest EVERY YEAR....It's fucking state law. Goddamn there is so many "Fuck you niggers" built into the system

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Couple things :

1) All Democrats ther have been effectively abandoned. The DNC does not seriously invest in Mississippi. Chicken and the egg.

2) It's not so much —exclusively— that voters are flocking to Republicans, it's at least equally valid to include :

Of the whites that remain, they predominantly skew towards Republican.

You say that this isn't economic anxiety at play. It very much is. Just in neither the way you'd think nor in how people misunderstand and misuse the term.

Because Mississippi has a massive brain drain problem, and the people that are leaving inevitably skew Liberal with far greater frequency than those that remain.

Brain drain a gross problem for Mississippi

"The report showed that in Mississippi in 1970 the excess of highly educated movers over highly educated stayers was 1.24. In 1980, that number increased to 1.87. In 1990, the number had increased to 4.63, and by 2017 had skyrocketed to 16.69. Add to that fact that there was net-outmigration in the state during the past 10 years."

Sounds kinda gross, doesn't it?

Well, it would be really gross if the exodus of smart people from our state was surging in comparison with other states.

Uh, it is.

The report shows Mississippi and Kentucky neck and neck with the highest gross brain drain changes from 1970 to 2017.

Even worse, our brain drain rate in 1970 was among the lowest at 47th but by 2017 it was 14thand rising.

Then there is net brain drain. You see, some states attract smart people from other states to offset the loss of homegrown smart people. The report shows Mississippi does not attract very many out-of-state smart people. As a result, our net brain drain rate soars to 5th place among all states."

There is an absolutely massive economic component at play in how these demographics end up voting. This is why part of making Mississippi viable and pulling it back from the brink involves fixing its economy. Conditions like seen in Mississippi increases the likelihood of racism, sexism, homophobia exponentially. You get that under control, you improve standards of living, you start to have a better shot at stoping brain drain, and you can see opinions within the state begin to shift.

There aren't easy, simple, solutions and Sanders isn't proposing them. He goes into say that he'll never be able to peel off the racists, sexists, homophobes, voting for Trump, as that's not realistic.

But right now they've have a shot at maybe 5-8% of the whites that voted for Trump whom only did so because Trump promised them jobs and such.

So Sanders effectively said that something like 80% of the whites in Mississippi are bigoted in some way!!

Here's the issue. For over a half century southern whites have almost consistently voted against their own self interest, and they've done so to not only their own determent, but also to the determent of minorities living in those same states. If poor Whites and working class Whites are having a tough go at it, the condition in which Black and Brown citizens in the same demographics find themselves in is worse.

Instead of attempting to focus on doing everything possible to help the key demographics that have been the most loyal and consistent supporters of the Democratic Party, to suggest that (as certain democratic candidates have done again and again) a group who have since 1976 voted Republican in the majority in every federal election need to be coddled in every which way, is beyond amazing.

Those percentages are for the whole country. The White voter split in the south is even more lopsided, and as shown above, the majority of democrat votes in many of these states are coming from Black voters. Economic anxiety has been proven to be a false reason why Republicans are getting the votes they do from White voters, and if as you say economic anxiety exists in Mississippi in a way that I and other don't realise, why is it that only White Voters flock to the Republican platform and not minorities who are in worse economic situations than Whites? What is it about the Republican platform that is so appealing to White voters that they have consistently voted Republican in the majority for over 4 decades?

There was research done a few years back that showed how in areas of the United States where Whites were the predominant demographic, support for welfare and other social programs was much higher than amongst Whites who lived in regions or states where the percentages of Black and Brown people were significant.

You can not help a people who refuse your help on the simple basis that the help would also benefit groups they don't like.

Deleted member 283

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The more I think about this, the more mad it makes me.

Because in 2016, SANDERS himself was the one who ran off with his tail between his leg after he got his ass kicked in South Carolina.

He didn't even bother to set foot in states like Mississippi, saying they were "too conservative" or whatever.

Meanwhile, where he was having campaign rallies were the Rocky Mountain states, which are also Ruby red but he called people "smart" for voting for him there, unlike the southern states he ran the fuck away from.

SANDERS is the one that did that.

The DNC didn't make him do that, nor this or that, that was all Sanders. All him. He could have fought those states our, made a case for his vote there. He deliberately chose not too.

Bernie Sanders, of all people in the world DOES NOT, I repeat, he DOES NOT get to speak poorly of the hard work Democrats do each and every campaign, who, spoiler alert, are almost all Black in Mississippi, after shit like that. He has no right.

He wants to insult the work people like Obama, he wants to insult the work of the DNC/DCCC, he wants to insult the work of candidates like Jim Hood and their supporters?

Well what the fuck does that make him then who ran off like a coward after getting his ass kicked in South Carolina? If that quote unquote "speaks poorly of the work done by Democrats" what the fuck does Sanders own performance say about him, using his own goddamn contrived logic then? What does that say about him?

Especially since on top of it all, on top of it all, this is far from the first time Sanders has put his foot in his mouth on this particular topic.

Remember that time when he was talking about how, just because someone deliberately chose not to vote for Gillum just because he's black, speaking about a hypothetical person who specifically didn't vote for Gillum because if his race, that simultaneously somehow has nothing to do with race and doesn't mean they're racist, if they're using race as a determining factor for their vote like that? I remember.

But no. Sanders is the one who ran like a coward from the south after Clinton kicked his ass in SC, hiding his sorry ass in the also Ruby red mountain states while, intentionally or otherwise, firing off dogwhistoes about the southern states and their voters he abandoned.

He, of all, people, DOES NOT get to talk about the work that is it is not being done in Mississippi each and every day by the people who actually do live there. He has not earned that right. After all his comments on shit like this, what Sanders needs to do when it comes to states like Mississippi is just shit the fuck up, just shut up and listen to people who actually do live in those states and know what they're talking about for once in his life instead if just inherently assuming he personally knows best regardless and opening his mouth again and just sticking an even bigger foot on it.

He can just get out if here, with all of this. He of all people has no place to talk on this topic. None.

FloBoJo

Nov 5, 2017
There's nothing pragmatic about this. It mars your messaging by throwing minorities under the bus while spending energy on voters that are the most unlikely to vote for you or even hear about this stance in the first place.
Well apologies on my end, I misread/hopefully misinterpreted that and didn't realize the actual demographics where white basically = republican party in Mississippi.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
Just to contextualize that, these are the Confederate states, the percentage of Obama's support in those states in 2008, and how much of his voters were African-American (going by CNN exit polls so the margins may not match exactly):

Alabama: Obama 39% (73%)
Arkansas: Obama 39% (29%)
Florida: Obama 51% (24%)
Georgia: Obama 47% (63%)
Louisiana: Obama 40% (68%)
Mississippi: Obama 43% (75%)

North Carolina: Obama 50% (44%)
South Carolina: Obama 45% (53%)
Tennessee: Obama 42% (27%)
Texas: Obama 44% (27%)
Virginia: Obama 53% (35%)

I think it's important to recognize this because this is where a lot of the frustration came with the whole "who cares, they're just red states" defense when Clinton crushed Sanders in the Southern states. People acted as if all the Democratic primaries were determined by stereotypical rednecks voting for the more conservative candidate, but the backbone of the party in the South are African-Americans.

Also worth noting that by 2016, the majority of Clinton's supporters in the GE in Florida and Texas were black or Hispanic.

Obama got 42% of the white vote in FL in 2008, which kind of shows how asinine it is to try to compare the state to the situation in Mississippi.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Shaving that percentage down is definitely important. 90% is a huge number. Its impossible to understate how actually getting at populaces that are indoctrinated is. These are "safe zones" where the the entire state can just go straight to the right wing by default. No state should be going uncontested. And its not a matter of appealing to racist white people, but a message that goes across many typical political boundaries to pick up apathetic people, and those out of the political process, and younger folks as is customary along with others.

We need a real 50 state strategy that stops surrendering like half the country to religious zeolots and corrupt racists to just run roughshod whereever they want.

Some of the arguments i hear in this thread remind me of people saying gun regulations wouldent stop gun crime or gun violence...no it wouldent, but it would shave down the percentage, and that on its own is worth it, even if its not eradicated.

Racism will always exist and there will always be a percentage of people who are simply hateful and racist and dont want to be converted, but that doesnt mean that we should simply give up places outright. Its that strategy of the democratic party that has allowed the right to gain the kind of power it wields despite, what i would argue, the broader populace being much further to the left on actual policy than the politicians represent

Last edited:

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
.....90% of black voters vote Dem every year. Explicitly because of how Civil Rights went down. Before that it was about 65%

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
The more I think about this, the more mad it makes me.

Because in 2016, SANDERS himself was the one who ran off with his tail between his leg after he got his ass kicked in South Carolina.

He didn't even bother to set foot in states like Mississippi, saying they were "too conservative" or whatever.

Meanwhile, where he was having campaign rallies were the Rocky Mountain states, which are also Ruby red but he called people "smart" for voting for him there, unlike the southern states he ran the fuck away from.

SANDERS is the one that did that.

The DNC didn't make him do that, nor this or that, that was all Sanders. All him. He could have fought those states our, made a case for his vote there. He deliberately chose not too.

Bernie Sanders, of all people in the world DOES NOT, I repeat, he DOES NOT get to speak poorly of the hard work Democrats do each and every campaign, who, spoiler alert, are almost all Black in Mississippi, after shit like that. He has no right.

He wants to insult the work people like Obama, he wants to insult the work of the DNC/DCCC, he wants to insult the work of candidates like Jim Hood and their supporters?

Well what the fuck does that make him then who ran off like a coward after getting his ass kicked in South Carolina? If that quote unquote "speaks poorly of the work done by Democrats" what the fuck does Sanders own performance say about him, using his own goddamn contrived logic then? What does that say about him?

Especially since on top of it all, on top of it all, this is far from the first time Sanders has put his foot in his mouth on this particular topic.

Remember that time when he was talking about how, just because someone deliberately chose not to vote for Gillum just because he's black, speaking about a hypothetical person who specifically didn't vote for Gillum because if his race, that simultaneously somehow has nothing to do with race and doesn't mean they're racist, if they're using race as a determining factor for their vote like that? I remember.

But no. Sanders is the one who ran like a coward from the south after Clinton kicked his ass in SC, hiding his sorry ass in the also Ruby red mountain states while, intentionally or otherwise, firing off dogwhistoes about the southern states and their voters he abandoned.

He, of all, people, DOES NOT get to talk about the work that is it is not being done in Mississippi each and every day by the people who actually do live there. He has not earned that right. After all his comments on shit like this, what Sanders needs to do when it comes to states like Mississippi is just shit the fuck up, just shut up and listen to people who actually do live in those states and know what they're talking about for once in his life instead if just inherently assuming he personally knows best regardless and opening his mouth again and just sticking an even bigger foot on it.

He can just get out if here, with all of this. He of all people has no place to talk on this topic. None.
Yep

xenocide Psychoward

Yeah maybe Sanders should keep his mouth shut if he hasn't gone out there to try to improve the situation in Mississippi

I haven't tracked down his campaign stop lists but Sanders has been active in Mississippi FYI

Seperate rallies.

Hey now, remember when third wayers freaked out in 2018 because Sanders made that comment about the Democratic Party having failed at the local level over the last 5-10 years?

I wonder where he said that from?

Oh....

"Last week, I joined Bernie Sanders in Memphis, Tennessee, and Jackson, Mississippi, to commemorate the 50th anniversary of Martin Luther King Jr.'s assassination. Sanders was overwhelmingly well received by both passersby and the local audiences who came to hear him speak."

How about that.

He was specifically talking about election performance and the democratic party of the state and he just straight up didn't campaign there and hasn't campaigned there for his 2020 election either.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Obama got 42% of the white vote in FL in 2008, which kind of shows how asinine it is to try to compare the state to the situation in Mississippi.
Yeah I highlighted the confederate states, but I think it's worth pointing out that Florida, North Carolina, Texas and Virginia are all to varying degrees more open to supporting Democrats for various reasons. NoVa in particular has a lot of northern migrants and shares more of its cultural sensibilities with Washington, DC that makes the state as a whole essentially safe for Democrats for the foreseeable future (and not with the same Dixiecrat coalition that held up the party earlier in history).

North Carolina is seeing similar demographic shifts that allow it to follow Virginia's path (albeit at a much slower rate), Florida is literally only red thanks to the panhandle (seriously, if you only removed the part of the state that was in Central Time Zone, it would be at least Lean D every time) and Texas' educated suburban white base is starting to move left along with the Hispanic vote growing in size and influence. Ironically its reputation as a conservative Mecca and the conservative migrants from California are keeping it redder than it would be otherwise, O'Rourke won the vote among Texas natives.

Arkansas and Tennessee then are the true outliers among the Deep South. Otherwise the other five states all have a high floor/low ceiling with Democratic support thanks to ~40% black populations that are routinely outvoted by the racist, reactionary white electorate that holds the balance of power.

(There's a similar dynamic in Utah where all the non-Mormon voters are extremely liberal, the furthest left in the country, as a counter-culture to the LDS political establishment, that's pretty fun to talk about)