• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Dec 12, 2017
what do you actually want bernie to do? he has a consistent history of taking policy positions that benefit minorities. do you want him to just say everyone in mississippi is racist, something that we already know? sure it makes us feel good that we're not racist, but it doesn't actually do anything.
The reason why some black people (me included) are side eyeing this is because, he literally said that white people who were uncomfortable voting for Abrams or Gillum because they were black weren't necessarily racist, which is straight bullshit. There is additional context to this.

EDIT: Reminder

Last edited:

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Of every candidate Bernie is best on pretty much each of those topics in this race... The only one you could argue he isn't is gun control. Insinuating that "the working class" that Bernie and his supports are referring to is a dog whistle for "give only white people shit" is absurd and a lie. How in any way is anything Bernie and his campaign pushing for going to roll back LGBTQ, civil rights, prison reform, health care, climate change etc? In every area assuming the votes can be obtained things would only get better. Do you think this "trend" means he already has or is going to abandon these principles?
I will just say Bernie has too many slips to be truly down for the cause folks project him to be. Abandoning the south during the last primary then calling them "low information voters", the common bit of tying employment to black humanity, the dismissing racism line, Vermont having more black people in prison than walking the streets, etc.

Before people come in here with nonsense, i don't expect more or less from biden, warren, or who ever. Folks know the plot to the play because it happens every day.

Ortix

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
what do you actually want bernie to do? he has a consistent history of taking policy positions that benefit minorities. do you want him to just say everyone in mississippi is racist, something that we already know? sure it makes us feel good that we're not racist, but it doesn't actually do anything.

This is like the 20th time someone makes this ridiculous argument in this topic. He didn't have to say anything. No one asked him about white voters from MS. He went down that path by choice.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Having lived in a state next to Mississippi my whole life...Yes, Bernie, 90+% of the whites there are racist pieces of shit.

GiantBreadbug

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Liberals are so good at combating racism that they choose not to look at it up close on cultural, regional, electoral, or socioeconomic bases and instead pat each other on the head and tuck themselves into bed cooing to one another, "it's okay, 90% of the US south is irredeemable trash that we can launch into the sun" and doing very little else about it (they get cool stickers for posting online that they know racism is bad though)

Also yeah fun that this newest gasp of breath attempting to smear Sanders into the grave is being done to the candidate with the undeniably most diverse base, but we won't talk about that

Kayla

Oct 28, 2017
A lot of us aren't white. Bernie has more non-white supporters than white supporters. I'm Mexican-American born to parents who worked on the fields picking vegetables.

u5VEWHd.png

And that's just %, not raw numbers. Bernie has to work on the boomer generation.

My best friend is Mexican American and a strong Bernie supporter. His mom and dad too!

Deleted member 11046

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Liberals are so good at combating racism that they choose not to look at it up close on cultural, regional, and socioeconomic bases and instead pat each other on the head and tuck themselves into bed cooing to one another, "it's okay, 90% of the south is irredeemable trash that we can launch into the sun" and doing very little else about it (they get cool stickers for posting online that they know racism is bad though)
The first and perhaps most essential act of combating racism is acknowledging its existence. In that regard, the people you're mocking in this scenario have already done more than you.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
Liberals are so good at combating racism that they choose not to look at it up close on cultural, regional, electoral, or socioeconomic bases and instead pat each other on the head and tuck themselves into bed cooing to one another, "it's okay, 90% of the US south is irredeemable trash that we can launch into the sun" and doing very little else about it (they get cool stickers for posting online that they know racism is bad though)

what is your plan to combat racism in the south, because as someone who lives in alabama let me tell you it's a pretty big issue

bricewgilbert

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
WA, USA
I will just say Bernie has too many slips to be truly down for the cause folks project him to be. Abandoning the south during the last primary then calling them "low information voters", the common bit of tying employment to black humanity, the dismissing racism line, Vermont having more black people in prison than walking the streets, etc.

Before people come in here with nonsense, i don't expect more or less from biden, warren, or who ever. Folks know the plot to the play because it happens every day.

Except this is pretty much a new play. No one has ever gotten this far by pushing for these radical of changes. Jesse Jackson was the closest, and he didn't win so we weren't able to see how this country would have changed. You might try to argue Obama, but he didn't have the history behind him to really justify belief in "hope and change" even though I and many other young people bought into it at the time. I've said my piece though, I know we disagree on how we interpret his comments on race, what that means for other policies and how he would be as a president.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Also yeah fun that this newest gasp of breath attempting to smear Sanders into the grave is being done to the candidate with the undeniably most diverse base, but we won't talk about that

Im glad you find the folks who have voted in the most irredeemable pieces of trash since 1964 to be some type of untapped voter base who are just begging to be turned liberal.

Here is the reality. This isn't the first time Sanders has tried to hold water for racist white voters. The fact this isn't isolated says something, and when compounded with his populist economic message and dislike for ID-Pol, it paints a picture that people don't like.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
I have an aunt that lives in Missisipi, and my cousins were born and grew up in that state. The stories I have heard... ufff. Sanders is wrong. But guess he needs to cuddle the racists to see if they abandon Trump, which I doubt.

GiantBreadbug

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The first and perhaps most essential act of combating racism is acknowledging its existence. In that regard, the people you're mocking in this scenario have already done more than you.

yes, my solution for combating the institutional and culturally ingrained issue of racism that makes life miserable for people in multiple places in endless strains is to pretend it doesn't exist rather than post on reset era dot com about how the best candidate to fight it in recent history is saying racist things

you solved the rubik's cube of my ideology

LifeLine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lmao 12 page thread on this quote.

"90% of whites in Mississippi are not racist"
-Bernie

What a controversial opinion, this means Bernie is racist.
- resetera

what a joke.

Quixzlizx

Oct 25, 2017
I think that we've allowed the poor white to believe that the middle and upperclass white consider them to be equals for too long. The poor white is hated by the wealthy almost as much as the wealthy white hates minorites. The poor minority has common ground with the poor white in that they both have fundamental unmet needs but the poor white still clings to supremacy over meeting those needs.

"The poor white" can go huff Fox News, talk radio, or the nearest evangelical sermon and be reassured that, regardless of how miserable his life is, society will still afford him more dignity and respect than any non-white. Which reinforces their opposition to universal programs that haven't been enacted yet.

ZeroDotFlow

Oct 27, 2017
what is your plan to combat racism in the south, because as someone who lives in alabama let me tell you it's a pretty big issue
The answer is (and I think Bernie's actual point buried beneath the way he tries to frame it) is that you combat racism in the south by campaigning for progressive causes and getting the youth involved in politics. Because yes, the south is full of old racists. But if you write off the south completely and don't try to campaign at all, you're just letting the next generation stew deeper in that racist quagmire which means once the boomers die off we just have another generation of racists to deal with.

It doesn't matter if you can win the south. What matters is working on the next generation so that eventually things change. Which is where the DNC has failed because they write off those states as a loss rather than trying to look at the long term picture.

mescalineeyes

Banned
May 12, 2018
Vienna
So working class is just code for White People? Like why is working class almost always used in reference to white voters?
I explained this a few posts after. But for the record: In this case, Sanders was talking about a subset of the working class that happens to be white and in Mississippi.

Though I'd argue that the dems have failed working class people of color just as much if not more ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
What does coddling the electorate that will never vote for him in the GE do for Bernie in the primary??
It's arguing for his larger theory of change, to have white working class people to also vote for the platform which does the most for minorities because it's in their best interest to, and to pick up voters the Democratic party gave up on.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
This is the best question I've read so far in this thread. Why is Bernie always going out of his way to make unnecessary statements like this. If you really feel the need to reach out to Mississippi voters, who've done nothing in modern history to demonstrate that they're interested in the Democratic platform, why not just say that the Democrats can do more to appeal with them? Why is it necessary yet again to absolve racists of their racism? I'm getting incredibly tired of reading these kind of statements from him. If you don't want to take the issue seriously then please stop talking about it.

GiantBreadbug

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I explained this a few posts after. But for the record: In this case, Sanders was talking about a subset of the working class that happens to be white and in Mississippi.

Though I'd argue that the dems have failed working class people of color just as much if not more ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

sorry this doesn't parse as anything other than a racism and you're going to need to explain yourself now preferably using language that doesn't disparage the hegemony of the Democratic Party

Deleted member 11046

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
yes, my solution for combating the institutional and culturally ingrained issue of racism that makes life miserable for people in multiple places in endless strains is to pretend it doesn't exist rather than post on reset era dot com about how the best candidate to fight it in recent history is saying racist things

you solved the rubik's cube of my ideology
You don't even possess sufficient self awareness to realize how silly a look it is to grossly caricaturize "liberals" who acknowledge how racist the South is before immediately taking offense at your own position being given the same treatment mere minutes later.

This is not a discussion you're prepared to engage in.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
The answer is (and I think Bernie's actual point buried beneath the way he tries to frame it) is that you combat racism in the south by campaigning for progressive causes and getting the youth involved in politics. Because yes, the south is full of old racists. But if you write off the south completely and don't try to campaign at all, you're just letting the next generation stew deeper in that racist quagmire which means once the boomers die off we just have another generation of racists to deal with.

It doesn't matter if you can win the south. What matters is working on the next generation so that eventually things change. Which is where the DNC has failed because they write off those states as a loss rather than trying to look at the long term picture.

This post is so funny given Bernie's 2016 campaign

(I'd also suggest that we not rely on the myth that racism is predominantly an Old People thing...)

Lonewulfeus

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not getting the sense that posters are creating "hit threads" for Bernie or other candidates. People see a piece of news that they find worthy to discuss. Stepping away from my online communities, no one I know is finding the recent news of candidates to feel unwarranted. I feel like a lot of energy is going into the click-rate economy to get people online to furiously discuss topics without actually trying to influence new voters.

The exception would be how CNN handle questions soon after releasing an article that, if I'm understanding correctly, is still being uncovered.

Did you miss this thread earlier today with literal fake news?

https://www.resetera.com/threads/be...her-candidates-have-nobody-is-perfect.165641/

alexiswrite

Oct 27, 2017

Sure, but elephant in the room that you're not addressing here is that resources aren't infinite. One might say that it makes way more sense to spend your resources on places which are borderline or already somewhat turning in your direction rather than putting them into places that maybe in a couple of generations might turn. This is especially an issue given that the Democrats aren't exactly in a great electoral position where they can afford to spend resources in areas which are way out of reach.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Except this is pretty much a new play. No one has ever gotten this far by pushing for these radical of changes. Jesse Jackson was the closest, and he didn't win so we weren't able to see how this country would have changed. You might try to argue Obama, but he didn't have the history behind him to really justify belief in "hope and change" even though I and many other young people bought into it at the time. I've said my piece though, I know we disagree on how we interpret his comments on race, what that means for other policies and how he would be as a president.
My dude you did not address anything in my, instead you deflected, we saw how the country changed with Obama. America woke up and remembered it was inseminated, nurtured, and born in racism.

kittenbreath

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Over the past decade or so, liberals have transformed Virginia into a bonafide blue state, made North Carolina a swing state, are moving Georgia toward the swing column, sent a Democrat to the Senate in Alabama (albeit under special circumstances!), and nearly elected a Democrat in Texas

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017

And what, exactly, is Bernie, when asked why his constant pitch that people running on progressive platforms will appeal to all Americans didn't work for black candidates like Gillum and Abrams, doing to combat racism when his response is, "they might have been uncomfortable but they're not racist, I'm sure they'll be more comfortable next time!"?

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
Is he just trying to get white people in the south to vote for him to counteract his disadvantage with black votes in the south? that seems really off to me.

Oct 27, 2017
"The poor white" can go huff Fox News, talk radio, or the nearest evangelical sermon and be reassured that, regardless of how miserable his life is, society will still afford him more dignity and respect than any non-white. Which reinforces their opposition to universal programs that haven't been enacted yet.
I think it's a problem our country never solved. The civil war ended, but one side never conceded.

Paterique

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
That its scary to post when people make assumptions on who you are and when people see things in either black or white with 0 shades of grey. Some convos here are amazing but damn intimidating to weight every words. You go in my history and dig posts and say i downplay racism and dismiss racial concerns. Which is , to some people here an inch close to being a racist....thats scary to me. Because as i said, to me racists are the scum of the world and deserves no respect. Yet here u are doing that and half accusing me of it.

GiantBreadbug

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
good god glad I checked your post history, had me going there for a second lol

Not sure what you mean??? In the US we only have two parties: one which embodies racism and one which embodies the opposite. To suggest that the Democratic Party operates with anything other than the best interests of the disaffected and disenfranchised in mind is, honestly, pretty gross

Over the past decade or so, liberals have transformed Virginia into a bonafide blue state, made North Carolina a swing state, are moving Georgia toward the swing column, sent a Democrat to the Senate in Alabama (albeit under special circumstances!), and nearly elected a Democrat in Texas

we can debate the efficacy with which the democratic party has whispered into the ebb and flow of the electoral map in the south (my interpretation is that these things are not due to any concerted effort of the party at large) but you making me think about Beto o Rourke is violence and I will not stand for it

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That its scary to post when people make assumptions on who you are and when people see things in either black or white with 0 shades of grey. Some convos here are amazing but damn intimidating to weight every words. You go in my history and dig posts and say i downplay racism and dismiss racial concerns. Which is , to some people here an inch close to being a racist....thats scary to me. Because as i said, to me racists are the scum of the world and deserves no respect. Yet here u are doing that and half accusing me of it.

If you only have 33 posts and people are finding a subgroup of them if you downplaying racism, that's a significant portion of your posting percentage trying to downplay racism.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure what you mean??? In the US we only have two parties: one which embodies racism and one which embodies the opposite. To suggest that the Democratic Party operates with anything other than the best interests of the disaffected and disenfranchised in mind is, honestly, pretty gross

we can debate the efficacy with which the democratic party has whispered into the ebb and flow of the electoral map in the south (my interpretation is that these things are not due to any concerted effort of the party at large) but you making me think about Beto o Rourke is violence and I will not stand for it
You're showing a good understanding of people's views in this thread. Really.

Deleted member 4346

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can even the most centrist of posters really claim that the Obama presidency, and the Democratic Party over the last few decades, has delivered for the poorest Americans in places like Mississippi?

Does racism play a part? Of course it does! But to tell ourselves that it is just racism is to limit the responsibility of the party's establishment in turning its back on wide swaths of America.

Ortix

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

That is an interesting case you mention, particularly with regards to earlier claims in the thread of the Democratic Party abandoning the working class.

Jesse Jackson ran a very progressive, class-based campaign. He advocted class solidarity while not compromising on any social platforms. His whole campaign was based on appealing to the white working class. Similar to what Bernie is trying for, one could say. Yet when push came to shove, the white working class overwhelmingly went to Dukakis. Students and well off white voters were happy to buy into his message, but that white working class electorate he had made the focus of his campaign rejected his class-based approach.

The Democratic Party did not abandon the white working class. The white working class made it clear they weren't interested. They abandoned the Democratic Party. That, as I'm sure we all realize, was not due to economic policies.

mescalineeyes

Banned
May 12, 2018
Vienna

you're right, I am sorry. I now realize I made a huge mistake and I will do better in the future.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017

Are you even reading what people are saying about why his statement sucks

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Can even the most centrist of posters really claim that the Obama presidency, and the Democratic Party over the last few decades, has delivered for the poorest Americans in places like Mississippi?

Does racism play a part? Of course it does! But to tell ourselves that it is just racism is to limit the responsibility of the party's establishment in turning its back on wide swaths of America.
Well it would help if the white voters of the state didn't keep voting for GOP people who refused to expand the ACA and other ways to try and stymie progress that Democrats want to make in Mississippi.

Oct 25, 2017
nah that's being generous to Bernie. The only way Bernie believes it could be true is if he absolutely ignores everything about Mississippi in practice like the fact that it took until 2013 for the 13th amendment to be ratified in MS, the flag of MS, and the fact that a lot of political ads anti-social safety net/education access lead with the fact that MS tax dollars should go to Hinds county. Oh, you also have to ignore the fact that Bernie says being uncomfortable voting for a candidate who is black is not necessarily racist.
I don't know how this contradicts what was said. Mississippi has a massive racism problem, something Sanders has also said. That doesn't mean the 90/10 split can be boiled down to racists and non-racists, as if they are all unreachable. It's not like he's saying they can all be reached. His ambition is 25-30%.

His "uncomfortable" comment, to me, is on a different level and one I always had a problem with. It's a more cynical comment from Bernie where he is trying to give racists an out. His point that some people might 'come around' on the idea of voting for a black person is correct, but that doesn't mean it isn't inherently racist. Racist choices make racist people, regardless of the circumstances.