Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As the adage goes "Actions speak louder than words." If a person says they accept that the Armenian Genocide occurred but the actions of said person is hypocritical to what the person says, that person needs to be called out.

Cenk needs to be called out for for still volunteering and giving financial support to groups who deny the Armenian Genocide.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Or so you say. I kinda read it as you had no response, so feigned superiority.

Your satisfied with the current state of national politics? Trump is president. Supreme court lost for generations. Children in cages. Erosion of institutions. Massive wealth inequality. Horrible healthcare and education. Attacks on science. Mass bigotry. Mass incarceration. Weed still illegal. Eroding reproductive rights. Locally in California massive homelessness, power shutdowns, shitty infrastructure, Etc etc etc.

But I'm supposed so say Democrats are master poltical strategists because they won a purple district?

Does that clarify my position?

Oct 25, 2017
Your satisfied with the current state of national politics? Trump is president. Supreme court lost for generations. Children in cages. Erosion of institutions. Massive wealth inequality. Horrible healthcare and education. Attacks on science. Mass bigotry. Mass incarceration. Weed still illegal. Eroding reproductive rights. Locally in California massive homelessness, power shutdowns, shitty infrastructure, Etc etc etc.

But I'm supposed so say Democrats are master poltical strategists because they won a purple district?

Sure, a sweeping election that largely brings a smidgen of a counter and accountability isn't good enough for you.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
Someone's current stance is to make fallacious arguments and act superior while defending Cenk to the death. But we can't divine their inner most brain. Most likely they actually hate Cenk. We can never truly know

BanGy

Oct 25, 2017

Can you please clarify why you're ignoring the 2018 midterm elections?

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
As the adage goes "Actions speak louder than words." If a person says they accept that the Armenian Genocide occurred but the actions of said person is hypocritical to what the person says, that person needs to be called out.

Cenk needs to be called out for for still volunteering and giving financial support to groups who deny the Armenian Genocide.

I think that's fair and should be called out as such. (Called out for volunteering and financially supporting those organizations if he's doing that.)

Deleted member 3896

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This is a bit of a strawman, isn't it?

Is anyone actually arguing that the state of national or CA politics is satisfactory? If so, I haven't seen it. And I don't think a single person here is saying that the things you're listing aren't crises. However, elections are just elections. And a sweep in the House helps at least staunch the bleeding and positions Dems to address these issues when they have more power in the Senate & other branches of government.

Oct 25, 2017

Is anyone actually arguing that the state of national or CA politics is satisfactory? If so, I haven't seen it. And I don't think a single person here is saying that the things you're listing aren't crises. However, elections are just elections. And a sweep in the House helps at least staunch the bleeding and positions Dems to address these issues when they have more power in the Senate & other branches of government.
It's not a bit. It's a lot.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
What was your standard for the 2018 elections?

I have a list of things Democrats should do with local gains they made. i was hoping to make a thread someday. Positive feedback loops. Voter rights, stuff along those lines. I'm not particularly hopeful..

Can you please clarify why you're ignoring the 2018 midterm elections?

I'm not. I just don't look myopically at a single election but rather long term trends and gains.

Huh??

Oct 25, 2017

There's also nothing impolite in it, save the holes in the drawers.

VectorPrime

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
Cenk is a disgusting human being and if someone with an R next to their name said the things he's said in his history he'd be lambasted for it.

Deleted member 3896

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have a list of things Democrats should do with local gains they made. i was hoping to make a thread someday. Positive feedback loops. Voter rights, stuff along those lines. I'm not particularly hopeful..
Some of these things are already being addressed. I was so bitter about Stacey Abrams being robbed but I'm glad she's focused on voting rights.

Anyway, let's see your list! Maybe we can all come to a consensus and pushing for these things and/ or point out what might already be in progress.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

I think we have very different views of the intention and goals of the Democratic party. You see them as fighting to address those things I see them as (largely) either incompetent or complicit. hence them not really satisfying my standard.

California as a state is actually a great case study. (Where I live currently. My local district is completely for sale to the highest bidder)

In Massachusetts (another Democratically controlled state) I was involved with local political groups for several years. The amount of dishonesty and corruption was honestly mindblowing. I have very little hope for the current Democratic party, outside of some of the young new progressive voices.

(And of course just in case, currently any Democrat is still far superior to any Republican and it aint close)

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Some of these things are already being addressed. I was so bitter about Stacey Abrams being robbed but I'm glad she's focused on voting rights.

Anyway, let's see your list! Maybe we can all come to a consensus and pushing for these things and/ or point out what might already be in progress.

Let's start with one lol, since it's off topic. Happy to pm

Every state legislature controlled by Democrats should push for massive expansion of voting rights and access. Vote by mail. Long voting windows. State holiday. Weekend. Day of registration. Etc. Do this for primaries, general election voting, etc.

Deleted member 3896

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think we have very different views of the intention and goals of the Democratic party. You see them as fighting to address those things I see them as (largely) either incompetent or complicit. hence them not really satisfying my standard.

California as a state is actually a great case study. (Where I live currently. My local district is completely for sale to the highest bidder)

In Massachusetts (another Democratically controlled state) I was involved with local political groups for several years. The amount of dishonesty and corruption was honestly mindblowing. I have very little hope for the current Democratic party, outside of some of the young new progressive voices.

(And of course just in case, currently any Democrat is still far superior to any Republican and it aint close)
And yet they actually are fighting to address so many of those things. They're also rather hamstrung at the moment ;)

What would your vision of a satisfactory 2018 electoral situation look like?

Every state legislature controlled by Democrats should push for massive expansion of voting rights and access. Vote by mail. Long voting windows. State holiday. Weekend. Day of registration. Etc. Do this for primaries, general election voting, etc.
I agree with this and it has been a priority in some states. NY, VA, NJ, NM and dems in TX and SC are pushing for it. It's a great goal and it should be wider. Seeing the VRA gutted was a nightmare.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
And yet they actually are fighting to address so many of those things. They're also rather hamstrung at the moment ;)

What would your vision of a satisfactory 2018 electoral situation look like?

"They" who's they? I've seen politicians both fighting for and against those things within the Democratic party .

In states like Massachusetts and California they are not hamstrung. It's a choice .

I dont understand what you're looking for regarding the question. We don't know what the outcome of the 2018 election is yet. Impeaching Trump is one good thing so far I guess

Craymond

Oct 28, 2017
Portland

What else does this group do other than deny the Armenian Genocide all day. Is it possible the group is helping their communities as well? I actually don't know but don't know if you do either.

Deleted member 3896

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"They" who's they? I've seen politicians both fighting for and against those things within the Democratic party .

In states like Massachusetts and California they are not hamstrung. It's a choice .

I dont understand what you're looking for regarding the question. We don't know what the outcome of the 2018 election is yet. Impeaching Trump is one good thing so far I guess
They = Dems

Someone mentioned the huge gains in the House in 2018 which you dismissed. So I'm wondering what could have happened that would have satisfied you.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
What else does this group do other than deny the Armenian Genocide all day. Is it possible the group is helping their communities as well? I actually don't know but don't know if you do either.

i feel like you would not be asking this question if it were about the holocaust

(i feel like the same goes for the Cenk discourse: If he had written an Op-Ed in his college paper denying the Holocaust happened, and encouraging anyone who believes it did to debate him and he'd prove them wrong, there'd be very few people saying "he's different now!")

Oct 25, 2017
His current stated stance is that he doesn't deny it. That's all I was saying. I can't assert for a fact what his actual brain state is regarding belief in either direction.
If the action of involvement with that organization gives you pause or skepticism, that's a fair consideration

What do we need here to assess his brain state? Is there a Genocide Denial biopsy we can do?

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Because people who are the ACTUAL left care about these things. The fact that you see them through the lens of "but the right doesn't care" is the ultimate summation of why I don't fucking trust leftists.

You don't care about anyone but yourselves. And to you, people bringing up this fact are an obstacle to your goals.

This is why the "left"ist movement of the past few years is overwhelmingly white, male, and affluent: It's rightism in tie-dye. It's the desperate flailings of a sexist, racist group, radicalized by modern internet culture, trying to re-center white maleness in a party that is mostly women, black people, and other groups that would be relegated to second-class status in the right's perfect world. And those groups see right through it.

You aren't the left. Don't pretend to be. IF this were ten years ago, you'd be stumping for Racist Ronnie Paul because he promised to help with your college debt and legalize weed.

We see your ass.

Ding Ding fucking Ding!

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
Because people who are the ACTUAL left care about these things. The fact that you see them through the lens of "but the right doesn't care" is the ultimate summation of why I don't fucking trust leftists.

You don't care about anyone but yourselves. And to you, people bringing up this fact are an obstacle to your goals.

This is why the "left"ist movement of the past few years is overwhelmingly white, male, and affluent: It's rightism in tie-dye. It's the desperate flailings of a sexist, racist group, radicalized by modern internet culture, trying to re-center white maleness in a party that is mostly women, black people, and other groups that would be relegated to second-class status in the right's perfect world. And those groups see right through it.

You aren't the left. Don't pretend to be. IF this were ten years ago, you'd be stumping for Racist Ronnie Paul because he promised to help with your college debt and legalize weed.

We see your ass.
Now this is that TEA.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017

We see your ass.

Oh my fucking god, yes! So much this.

ValiantChaos

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

We see your ass.

.....magnifico

Deleted member 3812

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

We see your ass.

^ Exactly this. Fully agree completely with this post.

MizerMan

Oct 25, 2017

We see your ass.

Thank you and fuckin' A.

Deleted member 19003

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

We see your ass.
Already kudos this post on page 22, but it deserves another round.
giphy.gif

Namtab

Oct 27, 2017

We see your ass.
but but the neolibs

Oct 29, 2017

We see your ass.

Brilliant post.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018

We see your ass.

My intro to leftism was largely reading about black activists and radicals in the wake of police brutality. I don't pay much attention to the Chapos of the world. I'm not sure those groups "see right through it" because my experience has been that leftism brings together people of many backgrounds and even classes. That also seems to be ignoring popular Democratic representatives like AOC who are neither white or male but popular with leftists and young people. I think as the years go on and the middle class thins out, those types of Democrats will only grow more popular.

This is quite a take. I'm not sure how accurate it actually is.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I see Bernie as a man frustrated with the game of elections, so he comes off as tone-deaf. I also don't think he internet's as much as we do, so I think it's entirely possible that he wasn't aware of Cenk's issues. That said, there should be a team checking this shit out. Does anyone really think Bernie shares Cenk's problematic views? I don't.

Jeeze, y'all... don't make me vote for Biden. I mean... I'll do it, but I'll want to kick your ass when he inevitably loses. It'll probably divide the Democratic party forever.

Why do I even pay attention to this shit? Mankind is far too stupid to save itself.

There was his California team told him not to do it.

He did it anyway

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My intro to leftism was largely reading about black activists and radicals in the wake of police brutality. I don't pay much attention to the Chapos of the world. I'm not sure those groups "see right through it" because my experience has been that leftism brings together people of many backgrounds and even classes. That also seems to be ignoring popular Democratic representatives like AOC who are neither white or male but popular with leftists and young people. I think as the years go on and the middle class thins out, those types of Democrats will only grow more popular.

This is quite a take. I'm not sure how accurate it actually is.
There have been massive schisms between white dominant leftists groups and minority dominant leftist ones on these types of arguments going back 100-150 years. The minority ones tend to be much better on avoiding the type of "identity politics are the problem!" pitfalls because nothing quite beats lived experience to teach you "no redistributive economics alone can''t fix everything".

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

We see your ass.

This line of thinking has been on here for the last week and its really affecting me. Like, physically hurting me. Do you people really see me as fake and just a racist and sexist? Because I am actually in pain over this. This line of thinking really hurts because I don't want to be seen as that. But again and again I'm told I'm awful, that I'm scum and words like this just repeating it and screaming at it just...what do I need to do for you to not see me as evil? What? I would like to hope that I don't come of as fake or as evil but it seems no matter what I do everyone just talks about how evil I am. I feel so bad because of statements like these that I've gone to physically hurting myself. Do you really see me as this? As just fake?

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
They = Dems

Someone mentioned the huge gains in the House in 2018 which you dismissed. So I'm wondering what could have happened that would have satisfied you.

I already explained. You have to look at the long term. In a few years we'll be able to evaluate the impact of the gains. The goal is policy. Not just winning an election to then lose more ground next time.

If you think Democrats deserve praise for Democrats barely holding onto one branch of government and recovering a fraction of lost state legislatures. Then go ahead and praise. My standards are higher than that. Now, I'm not saying it's meaningless, it's not. Impeachment. Local policy. Anything is better than more Republicans. But I want more than the bare minimum. And from my perceptive there are lots of things they can do to do better on policy and politics. Voter rights was one example. Let's see if they do this. Given they should have done this a decade ago, I'm not holding my breath.

KidAAlbum

Nov 18, 2017
That's quite a take. People from the left don't care about minorities. Meanwhile people defend a democratic party that's involved in sending troops overseas to kill brown people. These same water carriers for this corrupt party cancel every minority just because they are under Bernie, a progressive who champions justice in all facets. And the left on era is the coalition that doesn't care for minorities.

But don't take this from me, a minority. The left doesn't care about minorities. lmao

I've heard it all.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
That's quite a take. People from the left don't care about minorities. Meanwhile people defend a democratic party that's involved in sending troops overseas to kill brown people. These same water carriers for this corrupt party cancel every minority just because they are under Bernie, a progressive who champions justice in all facets. And the left on era is the coalition that doesn't care for minorities.

But don't take this from me, a minority. The left doesn't care about minorities. lmao

I've heard it all.

It's exhausting

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017

I've heard it all.

it seems like they're saying "actual leftists do care about these things, and the people who keep trying to downplay that shit aren't actual leftists"?

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This line of thinking has been on here for the last week and its really affecting me. Like, physically hurting me. Do you people really see me as fake and just a racist and sexist? Because I am actually in pain over this. This line of thinking really hurts because I don't want to be seen as that. But again and again I'm told I'm awful, that I'm scum and words like this just repeating it and screaming at it just...what do I need to do for you to not see me as evil? What? I would like to hope that I don't come of as fake or as evil but it seems no matter what I do everyone just talks about how evil I am. I feel so bad because of statements like these that I've gone to physically hurting myself. Do you really see me as this? As just fake?
I would read this to understand where this line of criticism is coming from. https://www.leftvoice.org/socialism-universalism-and-anti-anti-racism

The "economism" it describes is in no way shape or form unique to the left wing (you can find it from the left to center) and the criticism of it applies across the political spectrum.

The fundamental problem being run into is that the modern political axis is 2-dimensional, and if you only measure by the economic axis, you're going to get a lot of reactionary sociallhy conservative assholes under your umbrella.

Status
Not open for further replies.