• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
Are we canceling Sam Seder also who interviewed Cenk today, they obviously like each other? Cenk used to be a Republican and said some horrible shit and he's addressed this multiple times. Cenk is easily the best on policy for that district, yeah he said some really dumb shit, but I'd rather be OK with people reforming and not cancelling them forever.

He literally defended his past misogynistic comments this week, and still supports Turkish groups that deny the Armenian Genocide.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Are we canceling Sam Seder also who interviewed Cenk today, they obviously like each other?

Yeah, sure. Everybody is cancelled now. Nobody gets to hold a public office. Anarchy is the order of the day.

I'm not being sarcastic when I say this would be a positive development for the future of our society.

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017
So during the Obama era, new leftist media outlets needed to rise in order to deliver meaningful criticism of the Obama era. And perhaps unsurprisingly, they have done so in the ways that worked about a decade ago -- comedy programs whose voice is derived from a certain, ah, bro culture. Your TYTs and your Chapos, and....yes, your fucking Cum Towns. God.

It's an interesting theory, but it's not explanatory enough. For one thing, you left out whiteness, but maybe you feel that's implied by bro. For another, though, "unsurprisingly" is doing kind of a lot of work here. I am surprised that these leftist media outlets are not run by feminists and people of color! Or, to put it another way, I am surprised that the leftists aren't uplifting the leftist media outlets that ARE run by feminists and people of color. They exist! Why are the white, male, anti-intersectional podcasts the popular ones? You write that as if the answer is obvious and not worth mentioning. I don't think it is.

Oct 28, 2018
User Banned (1 Month): Dismissing Concerns of Misogyny
Looks like Sanders bent the knee to the twitter mob. Sad but not surprising.

Allard

Oct 25, 2017
To me this kind of crap is why I am having difficulty supporting Bernie in the primary despite a lot of my political beliefs lining up with his. He had terrible staff members and surrogates in 2016, and he continues to make unforced errors in his support of other people. The presidency is not one man. I would literally vote for a piece of toast if I felt like somehow it would lead by comittee to surround itself with the best people for the job and nothing less. We need good stewards of the executive bureaucracy, and congressmen/women. One of the fleeting reasons I might even vote for Biden over Bernie is at the moment he seems to be cultivating and even open to getting the best people in the office he can, and not the people who helped get him into his position. I don't want another trump with a yes man and loyalty streak.

Cenk is a terrible person for public office and as stated he should never have endorsed in the first place, while I'm glad he walked some of it back, it is still part of a long line of errors regarding people he seems willing elevate or surround himself with, its a pattern he needs to openly attend to because right now aside from whether its Trump vs Bernie, I would literally vote for just about anyone else (except Gabbard and Yang) in the current primary.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I am surprised that the leftists aren't uplifting the leftist media outlets that ARE run by feminists and people of color. They exist! Why are the white, male, anti-intersectional podcasts the popular ones? You write that as if the answer is obvious and not worth mentioning. I don't think it is.

They're the easiest to advertise, I think. They're more recognizably comfortable to the status quo, and the people involved were able to pour more of their own money in from the start, because they had that money.

Is this satire?

This has to be satire.

Honestly pretty even compared to most of the other candidates to my understanding. If my biggest issue with a candidate's platform is their lack of vetting of minor staffers and endorsements which get corrected shortly after reports, I think that's a good sign for the health of a campaign.

Gyro Zeppeli

Oct 27, 2017
To those who are bashing Bernie and calling him off, who else is left that is worthwhile to vote for? Biden? (no) Warren? (she has no path to the nomination) Buttigieg? (zero black voter support)

Deleted member 3896

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like TYT is calling it a ring wing smear

Garbage. The entire operation, just garbage.

Imagine harboring a turd like Cenk then stoking conspiracy theories when it blows up in your face. This is some Fox News-tier gaslighting, but then again it should't be a surprise coming from Seth Rich conspiracy theorists. Very disgusting how TYT tries to condition its viewers into running with conspiracy theories.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
To those who are bashing Bernie and calling him off, who else is left that is worthwhile to vote for? Biden? (no) Warren? (she has no path to the nomination) Buttigieg? (zero black voter support)
How does Warren have no path to the nomination? Why does it even matter if we think he's the best candidate, he's not above criticism and it should be doubly important if he's gonna be in a general election that he stops doing dumb shit.

Gyro Zeppeli

Oct 27, 2017
How does Warren have no path to the nomination? Why does it even matter if we think he's the best candidate, he's not above criticism and it should be doubly important if he's gonna be in a general election that he stops doing dumb shit.

I'm with you that candidates should recognize their mistakes and improve, but for the people who refuse to vote for him, then in terms of progressive policies, there is no one else that has a viable chance to be nominated. I don't see Warren able to do it. Her poll numbers are pretty bad. It's clear this is coming down to Biden or Bernie.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like Sanders bent the knee to the twitter mob. Sad but not surprising.

The Twitter mob that objected to an unekectable genocide denying misogynist carpetbagger trying to pull a TulsiStein Spoiler bomb in the most important election of our lives, or the Twitter mob that cheers on chaos in the Democratic primaries to urge on four more years of the erosion of American supremacy? Or is this another Star Wars precrime thread?

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I'm with you that candidates should recognize their mistakes and improve, but for the people who refuse to vote for him, then in terms of progressive policies, there is no one else that has a viable chance to be nominated. I don't see Warren able to do it. Her poll numbers are pretty bad. It's clear this is coming down to Biden or Bernie.
She's solidly third in pretty much all of the polls and there hasn't even been one state yet.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like a lot of his missteps could be avoided by properly vetting people. But he's too eager to reward loyalty.

I'm not sure how much of it is loyalty — that's seems insccutate. My perspective is that these issues stem from a combination of conditions. Sanders absolutely is not embraced wholely by the traditional apparatus and system in US politics, so to say he operates on a relative political fring in the United States. To me this is a combination of a sub ideal environment for recruitment, Sanders himself generally being a good person that believes in people, and the inherent complexities and attention issues that come from campaigning for President. When your resource pool lays somewhat adjacent to the main stream it creates a minefield that isn't comparable to having a strictly 'in establishment' operation.

[ « post: 27379825, member: 15142"]
Hoooooly shit.

See, everybody? This is what people who don't want him to win the nomination are talking about.

He can't even run a competent campaign. What makes you think he can run the country?
[/QUOTE]

Sanders team should do a better job w vetting, but logistically speaking their context makes these sorts of things a bit more likely to occur. Not that it's ok, it's not and they are right to then fire these people etc.

Franky though this is not at all indicative of Sanders and his team not being able to run a campaign. He's the second place candidate, leads in contributions, has well established infrastructure, has coordinated and held the largest rallies of any candidate, and has shown good outreach and course correction from the mistakes of 2016. He has one of the top 2 organizations in the primary.

Look at Harris for failure to run a campaign, or Bidens teams struggles with securing funding

Last edited:

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017
They're the easiest to advertise, I think. They're more recognizably comfortable to the status quo, and the people involved were able to pour more of their own money in from the start, because they had that money.

Aren't these leftist podcasts supported by leftists, not the status quo? Why don't the leftists support women and people of color?

Oct 28, 2018
It's sad he couldn't even vet a very public endorsement that crumbled in a day.

No doubt it's a bungle. He should have either not endorsed in the first place, or been prepared to take on the heat that was going to come and take a proper stance along the lines of: "I'm going to support the candidate that ideologically aligns with me because I value policy over personality." Either way, he was clearly completely unprepared and it shows.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I'm not sure how much of it is loyalty and how much of it is that he exists on a relative political fring in the United States. To me this is a combination of a sub ideal environment for recruitment, Sanders himself generally being a good person that believes in people, and the inherent complexities and attention issues that come from campaigning for President. When your resource pool lays somewhat adjacent to the main stream it creates a minefield that isn't comparable to having a strictly 'in establishment' operation.

Sanders team should do a better job w vetting, but logistically speaking their context makes these sorts of things a bit more likely to occur. Not that it's ok, but this is not at all indicative of Sanders and his team not being able to run a campaign.

Look at Harris for that, or Bidens teams struggles with securing funding.
Some of the hires are on the campaign (which is indicative of Bernie yes but to a lesser extent) sure but this one is 100% Bernie. He was the one who put out both (bad) statements.

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017
Sanders team should do a better job w vetting, but logistically speaking their context makes these sorts of things a bit more likely to occur. Not that it's ok, it's not and they are right to then fire these people etc.

I don't really agree with this, to be honest, because it doesn't consider the cost to the person being hired. For Cenk it's whatever, he's going to be okay, but if you are a random guy making memes and Sanders plucks you out of the masses to hire you, exposes you to sudden scrutiny, and then dumps you immediately, your life just got pretty fucked up.

It's inappropriate to let the media do your vetting. It was bad when Trump did it and not great when Obama did it! It's bad for Sanders to do it too. Either vet them yourself or stand by them and make sure they at least get a soft landing. Otherwise it's just not fair to the people you're hanging out to dry.

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
Aren't these leftist podcasts supported by leftists, not the status quo? Why don't the leftists support women and people of color?

Even leftists fall into comfortable biases. It's a problem endemic to basically anything media related, even leftist media. It's why "breadtube" is overwhelmingly white people.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Some of the hires are on the campaign (which is indicative of Bernie yes but to a lesser extent) sure but this one is 100% Bernie. He was the one who put out both (bad) statements.

Oh I agree that this instance is on Sanders. He put his name to it afterall. I just also wouldn't doubt that Sanders had only the faintest idea of any thing, relative to the true scope of the things that Cenk had said. If I had to guess, it would be thé issues (and answers to them as given by Cenk) that we're raised recently in an interview as those were the real 'public' ones of the time (the genocide issue and his writings). In this case it would be damning of his own people for not their job, and protecting Sanders by making him aware of the issues in scope.

Still I think the retraction is on Sanders, and weak, so no arguement there.

Status
Not open for further replies.