• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Madison

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lima, Peru
Theres good things about Cenk and I think that his heart is on the right place. That being said, I completely get why some would completely want him to stay away from the race after the stuff hes said. Just become I can overlook some of it doesnt mean that everyone has to. Hopefully he doesnt fuck up the race. I also think that Bernie endorsing Cenk is a mistake and it could even end up hurting him.

Also, It is weird that people can say that its ok to befriend war criminals because "christianity" in another thread with no consequence while people are getting 1 month bans here for saying "yeah I support Cenk".

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
A very disappointing display from the moderators in this thread, if I'm being honest. Those bans and their lengths are just.....Oof.

Deleted member 283

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Carpetbagger? Fucking alt-right talking points against Cenk?

Get a grip.
I mean, he's campaigning in a district he doesn't actually live-in, isn't he? That he's going there specifically for this congressional race? That's the definition of carpetbagging, isn't it?

And what alt-right talking points?

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
It's very concerning how quick bans for posts saying "Good on Bernie" are but there were none for people downplaying war crimes, genocide, etc #43

This was ill-advised of Bernie, but the moderation in regards to this thread vs. people defending the Obamas is quite appalling in contrast.

Was the first thing I thought of when opening this thread and knowing what to expect. And if we're talking recent years, I mean come on, Dubya was a Kavanaugh supporting piece of shit.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Imagine the ads with Bernie's imagine overlapped over all the ugly stuff Cenk has said. Pete's campaign is willing and ready to go there.

Why risk this becoming a bigger issue than it should be? Specially with California probably being a nail-biter?
I honestly doubt anyone is gonna attack him on this tbh

Deleted member 18324

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Official Staff Communication
There can be a discussion on whether Cenk Uygur is a good candidate for Congress or not. However, many of the misogynistic comments made by Uygur were in the last few years, and they have been condemned by LGBTQ+ groups and women's groups in the area. As such, please keep this in mind and do not excuse the comments or dismiss concerns and objections to Uygur as bad faith attacks.
I'm sure the same care will be applied to any concerns and objections raised about Michelle Obama's support of a war criminal. Will 3 week bans be handed out to those who diminish concerns about her actions?

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017
The banned posts don't seem to address it either way? Is addressing it before voicing any support a requirement for posting in this thread?

If you go to a thread about Chik-Fil-A being an anti-LGBTQ organization and post "Chik-Fil-A is great, I love it!" with no other context how would you expect that statement to be understood

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
The sexist remarks by Cenk are for sure a problem, but the fact of the matter is, we are in urgent need of more non-corruptible progressives elected.

75728053df.png

Hmm. I guess denying the armenian genocide doesn't qualify you as a despicable human being?

Mar 16, 2019
User Banned (Permanent): Inflammatory Accusation; Account in Junior Phase
I'm sure the same care will be applied to any concerns and objections raised about Michelle Obama's support of a war criminal. Will 3 week bans be handed out to those who diminish concerns about her actions?
No, apparently the mods don't care about Iraqi lives.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's very concerning how quick bans for posts saying "Good on Bernie" are but there were none for people downplaying war crimes, genocide, etc #43

This was ill-advised of Bernie, but the moderation in regards to this thread vs. people defending the Obamas is quite appalling in contrast.

Yep. I don't like Cenk and won't defend him. But these bans are ridiculous.

Apparently on Era it's worse to defend a mysoginist than a war criminal and murderer. Maybe if the Obamas vouched for Cenk he would be ok.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ana should have ran instead. It never crossed my mind that Cenk would run for Congress. This is a tone deaf political run.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If you go to a thread about Chik-Fil-A being an anti-LGBTQ organization and post "Chik-Fil-A is great, I love it!" with no other context how would you expect that statement to be understood
So what about going into a thread about war criminals and downplaying their actions and defenses put up for them?

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017
So what about going into a thread about war criminals and downplaying their actions and defenses put up for them?

I dunno, I think I was banned when that thread was posted. But I would say going into a thread about war criminals and posting "yum yum, love me some war criminals" with zero engagement with any arguments or other posters in the thread should be a quick ban, yeah.

Deleted member 42055

Banned
Apr 12, 2018

I mean it's been locked since 9:30am ...which is hmmm? I'm not giving my opinion on that because I have zero idea what results in bans in political threads , they're all over the place

Deleted member 18360

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I think the titles of those are usually like 'Chik-Fil-A (still) funding anti-LGBT interest groups', so reading that and being like 'oh I'm going to talk about how good I think their food is' is both more brazenly insensitive and more off topic than someone popping into a thread with this title to be like "oh neat Bernie supported some guy I recognize from somewhere/something", lol.

I mean it's been locked since 9:30am ...which is hmmm? I'm not giving my opinion on that because I have zero idea what results in bans in political threads , they're all over the place

Yeah I have my doubts that that's ever getting reopened lol.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Or the more sane reading is that he's perhaps a bit over-eager to identify and foster political allies in this case to his detriment. And it's not like there's any particular reason that he might feel that way lol...To frame this as surely being about fealty to him specifically sure is a choice. Like no way there could be a presumedly justified degree of ideological agreement or anything.

This is a big stressor and minefield for anyone that is on the fring of the political norm that is looking to build a movement. Sanders, if I've seen any flaw with whom he endorses, it's that he's too quick to (in good faith and a genuine belief in people and/or their ability to change) bring someone on and doesn't necessarily do all of his homework, or rather disThat said, he has had far more good 'picks' than bad, and I would categorize this one as bad.
Even if that does not happen it is still a very poorly thought decision, in my opinion.

Agreed I'd like to know more about the circumstances of this. Sanders is normally very good about his associations and decisions.

Seattle6418

Oct 25, 2017
Brasília Brazil
Imagine the ads with Bernie's imagine overlapped over all the ugly stuff Cenk has said. Pete's campaign is willing and ready to go there.

Why risk this becoming a bigger issue than it should be? Specially with California probably being a nail-biter?

Because he´s not gonna support someone who´s going to be against his policies. I think it would be different if two progressives were in the race. And i believe he wouldn´t want to have TYT turn on him.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Alright, y'all. Obviously there's issues with the state of the thread, and comparisons to other threads. I'd like to try talking it out with people, which we can either do here, or via PMs, per preference.

Just to get the stuff a lot of people are talking about out of the way: Most common question seems to be about the bans and the unlock message. Long and short of it is, we feel like the case being made in the OP is fairly convincing re: Cenk's misogyny issues. So if you come into the thread and just post "yeah well I like him", it reads as dismissing all of that. Thus the bans, and the lengths.

The Michelle Obama thread is going to stay locked. The updated lock message goes over why - in short, we feel like that's significantly more complex than we can address right now, due to sitting at the intersection of a lot of sore spots. It's going to be one of the things we're talking about with various communities going forward, trying to figure out how best to handle topics like that.

Like I said, if you'd like to reach out to talk one on one about more specific issues, or if you want more on those ones, you can hit me up via PM or just quote me here.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I dunno, I think I was banned when that thread was posted. But I would say going into a thread about war criminals and posting "yum yum, love me some war criminals" with zero engagement with any arguments or other posters in the thread should be a quick ban, yeah.
Were in agreement.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
This is a big stressor and minefield for anyone that is on the fring of the political norm that is looking to build a movement. Sanders, if I've seen any flaw with whom he endorses, it's that he's too quick to (in good faith and a genuine belief in people and/or their ability to change) bring someone on and doesn't necessarily do all of his homework, or rather disThat said, he has had far more good 'picks' than bad, and I would categorize this one as bad.

Agreed I'd like to know more about the circumstances of this. Sanders is normally very good about his associations and decisions.

And yet, he associates with Gabbard.

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I have my doubts that that's ever getting reopened lol.

Since the moderation position that seems to be getting asked for here is that saying "I like Barack Obama" should be an immediate ban for rehabilitating war criminals, I think the moderators probably need to think through their approach.

edit: except, as noted above, if you post that in the "barack obama war crimes OT" thread, then yeah you probably get tagged for it

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
The Michelle Obama thread is going to stay locked. The updated lock message goes over why - in short, we feel like that's significantly more complex than we can address right now, due to sitting at the intersection of a lot of sore spots. It's going to be one of the things we're talking about with various communities going forward, trying to figure out how best to handle topics like that.

Like I said, if you'd like to reach out to talk one on one about more specific issues, or if you want more on those ones, you can hit me up via PM or just quote me here.

You really shouldn't have included this. It makes you guys look like you have no idea how to handle the Michelle Obama issue and are just winging it. It makes the lock just look more kneejerk.

Deleted member 18360

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Since the moderation position that seems to be getting asked for here is that saying "I like Barack Obama" should be an immediate ban for rehabilitating war criminals, I think the moderators probably need to think through their approach.

edit: except, as noted above, if you post that in the "barack obama war crimes OT" thread, then yeah you probably get tagged for it

nice straw man dude maybe if you really try to channel my position through the aether next time you'll get it.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I totally think that people can say absolutely inexcusably shitty things, and then still be redeemed for them. Hell, I know I've voted for people who have said and did and supported absolutely terrible things because they were the best option available, and their politics were most aligned with mine.

But given the series of events that transpired that has lead to this election even happening, given how Katie Hill was forced out of Congress, I think it's unusually important to try and get a woman to win the seat, rather than someone who has said some terrible things about women. Even if he's changed for the better.

Status
Not open for further replies.