• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
jack_package_200
Oct 25, 2017
Ultimately you're right and my position is wrong but I'm just too much of a pragmatist to look past the sort of good someone with Cenk's ideals could do were he in Congress to be too judgemental about his previous comments. Yes he was wrong to say them, no I don't watch TYT, but pushing the Lefts cause in practical ways is all I care about.
Even if it gives the right another seat in the House of Representatives?

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017
Ultimately you're right and my position is wrong but I'm just too much of a pragmatist to look past the sort of good someone with Cenk's ideals could do were he in Congress to be too judgemental about his previous comments. Yes he was wrong to say them, no I don't watch TYT, but pushing the Lefts cause in practical ways is all I care about.

How does sending a misogynist to Congress advance the left's cause? Why are women's issues not important to the left?

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
Literally when is it okay to criticize Sanders and his campaign? When is it valid to point out something he's legitimately done wrong, and not unfair to him?

Speaking as someone who was groomed and had shitty values of his own and has fucked up immensely and has had to unlearn so many harmful things, what he's said about things in the past is only part of the problem, and so is what he's saying NOW

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I'm curious what will happen in the race.

It's telling how much the media has latched onto Cenks past views (which were unearthed by the alt right to smear him) instead of his stated (and well supported? current views)

I really wonder what will happen with the extra exposure. Tyt is already pretty big online.

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017

It's telling how much the media has latched onto Cenks past views (which were unearthed by the alt right to smear him) instead of his stated (and well supported? current views)

I really wonder what will happen with the extra exposure. Tyt is already pretty big online.

Cenk doesn't have much room to complain about stories starting with the alt-right after he gave time to promoting Seth Rich theories.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Literally when is it okay to criticize Sanders and his campaign? When is it valid to point out something he's legitimately done wrong, and not unfair to him?

Speaking as someone who was groomed and had shitty values of his own and has fucked up immensely and has had to unlearn so many harmful things, what he's said about things in the past is only part of the problem, and so is what he's saying NOW

Can you elaborate which of his current views you find problematic?

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017
Ask yourself this: When the fight over Roe vs Wade finally comes to the fore, who would you rather in Congress, Cenk or some random Democrat Neolib unknown?

definitely the random democrat

is this some kind of trick question? I choose the one who has never before said publicly in writing they want to ban abortion

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017

y2dvd

Nov 14, 2017
Alright, y'all. Obviously there's issues with the state of the thread, and comparisons to other threads. I'd like to try talking it out with people, which we can either do here, or via PMs, per preference.

Just to get the stuff a lot of people are talking about out of the way: Most common question seems to be about the bans and the unlock message. Long and short of it is, we feel like the case being made in the OP is fairly convincing re: Cenk's misogyny issues. So if you come into the thread and just post "yeah well I like him", it reads as dismissing all of that. Thus the bans, and the lengths.

The Michelle Obama thread is going to stay locked. The updated lock message goes over why - in short, we feel like that's significantly more complex than we can address right now, due to sitting at the intersection of a lot of sore spots. It's going to be one of the things we're talking about with various communities going forward, trying to figure out how best to handle topics like that.

Like I said, if you'd like to reach out to talk one on one about more specific issues, or if you want more on those ones, you can hit me up via PM or just quote me here.

Y'all need to either:
  • ban the folks from the other thread that were dismissing the deaths of brown people for the same length as the ones in this thread for being misogynistic or give them a longer ban because death is you know, a bit worse
  • Lock this thread like the other thread until y'all can sort out how y'all hand out bans or
  • If this thread is to stay open, open the other thread already to have continued discussions.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
Yes Cenk is trash, I have seen enough TYT to know that. Don't need to tell me that twice.

But suddenly Bernie makes a mistake with this and now everyone on social media is losing their mind about it. The typical anti-Bernie folks are out on full force because they had nothing to attack him with for so long and that's hilarious. I can't wait to see Joy Reid spend the next three months talking about this.

We're evaluating his fitness to be president. Endorsing a racist, genocide apologizing, mysogynistic asshole calls that fitness into question.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
He still volunteers and financially supports organizations that deny the Armenian genocide.

this picture is a little over a year after his "apology".

this is outside of the racism/using the n-word/misogyny/etc.

Do you have a link or something showing he supports this organization?

In the cnn interview he makes it clear what his personal views are on the issue.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
Ask yourself this: When the fight over Roe vs Wade finally comes to the fore, who would you rather in Congress, Cenk or some random Democrat Neolib unknown?
you can't be serious. There's plenty or arguments to be made for favoring a more left candidate but if you think smith would somehow knee cap women's rights you're not paying attention

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017

Omg what? Unearthed by the alt right?

Dude Cenk's past has been common knowledge in left wing circles for ages, as in before the alt-right was even a thing.

"Hey guys did you know the stuff you've known about Cenk was unearthed by Marty McFly's alt right cousin who stole the Delorean and traveled back and planted the info you've known for years, don't let them win, Vote Cenk!"

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
Do you believe honestly he is currently those things?

I've seen people complain about less than "I'm not talking about n-words without souls, I'm talking about ordinary n-words" Why the fuck should I over look that? Why should I over look his comments about women not wanting to fuck as much as they used to? The person who's seat he's running to replace quit because she had sex with an underling. I don't see why the shit Cenk has said is better than that. It's up to him to repudiate those things, not for me to forgive him, or do research to find out when he apologized, but then continued to support a genocide denying organization. *I'm* not running for office. *I* don't have to do his work for him.

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017

This is where I'm at and I think that's where Bernie is at too. I don't think it's about "bowing down to him" or anything like that, I think for Bernie it's about building a leftist coalition. Having Cenk in the house improves the chances of Medicare for All, simply put.

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
you can't be serious. There's plenty or arguments to be made for favoring a more left candidate but if you think smith would somehow knee cap women's rights you're not paying attention

It's not just about votes, it's about arguments on the floor. I'm a foreigner from the outside looking in, so I am unfamiliar with Smith and what he/she represents and how well they can articulate it, but I am at least half familiar with Cenk just from being on the internet, and if nothing else he knows how to get his point across.

Oct 28, 2018
This is where I'm at and I think that's where Bernie is at too. I don't think it's about "bowing down to him" or anything like that, I think for Bernie it's about building a leftist coalition. Having Cenk in the house improves the chances of Medicare for All, simply put.

This is key. The establishment backed candidate, Christy Smith, does NOT support Medicare For All.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
It's not just about votes, it's about arguments on the floor. I'm a foreigner from the outside looking in, so I am unfamiliar with Smith and what he/she represents and how well they can articulate it, but I am at least half familiar with Cenk just from being on the internet, and if nothing else he knows how to get his point across.
"I don't know anything about this other person, but clearly the man with a history of misogynist comments would be better defending women's rights" is a pretty questionable stance to take.

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
Them using a photo he took with them is quite different from "supports them financially". It may still be problematic.. but I'm gonna need more context and information.

Are you being deliberately obtuse? This is not an afternoon picture that he took with people that just ended up together. This was an event, for the organization, that he consented to being a part of.

luffie

Dec 20, 2017
Indonesia
Wether you love him or hate him, Cenk has acknowledged many times the mistakes he made in the past.

he has already publicly stated those remarks were wrong and apologized for them. Multiple times.

This is the funny things i see ppl on this forum commenting, "Cenk has never apologized for it!"

Question: How do you know he hasn't apologized for it? Does he have to apologize straight to your face? Do you follow him until today?"

I admit I didnt watch older TYT videos, especially those that OP posted, where it was around 6 years ago etc. But I've been watching their videos recently, probably from end of 2018 till now, and follow their content. Cenk did apologizes for those comments, Cenk did admit those were stupid, and that he was stupid & wrong.
But because stuffs is not shoved straight to people's face, people will just throw off baseless accusations and nonsense, and in order to bolster their viewpoints, OP even quoted a trashy twitter account's opinion.

I think based on his recent videos, he is not an idiot, and i agree on his stance and ideas on the current political climate.
And no, I won't be quoting any videos here to prove my point, I don't have to, his videos are available publicly, you can view it yourself.

But to those who simply like to fly by and make baseless accusations because you can't be bothered to look into current info yourself, know that you are no different than your conservative counterpart. Making baseless accusations based on ignorance and fake news peddled by the conservatives themselves, and it's no wonder they also calls you brainwashed.

I am not american, so I won't be voting for him. If you have a truly better candidate to vote for, go for it. But please don't act the same way like the very people you strongly against at.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I've seen people complain about less than "I'm not talking about n-words without souls, I'm talking about ordinary n-words" Why the fuck should I over look that? Why should I over look his comments about women not wanting to fuck as much as they used to? The person who's seat he's running to replace quit because she had sex with an underling. I don't see why the shit Cenk has said is better than that. It's up to him to repudiate those things, not for me to forgive him, or do research to find out when he apologized, but then continued to support a genocide denying organization. *I'm* not running for office. *I* don't have to do his work for him.

I honestly don't get your point

That if you're running for office , you have a standard and that standard includes not having shitty views in your past?

That's fair.

Personally I'd focus on present views. Of course, I'd have to be fully convinced that those are not the current views and why they changed.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The random Dem, not close, given Cenk's long history of awful on adjacent topics? Why on earth would being economically left have a single thing to do with someone's position on social issues? They're not innately interlinked!

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
His policies are more progressive and left wing than just about any candidate out there. His opponent Christy Smith has taken on the "Public option for all who want it" Buttigieg-like watered down BS. You can disavow past comments that a candidate has made while supporting their current policies and stances on issues. It's a legitimate discussion to be had, shouldn't be ban worthy.

"Sexism is fine as long as they have better economic policies."

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017

That if you're running for office , you have a standard and that standard includes not having shitty views in your past?

That's fair.

Personally I'd focus on present views. Of course, I'd have to be fully convinced that those are not the current views and why they changed.

do you know what date the interview took place goose

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017

He literally just doubled down on his views lmao

Not everything is an alt-right ploy, if anything they'd commend him for his shitty views towards women and genocide

burn your heroes, kill your darlings etc.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017

That's fair.

Rather, if you had shitty views, you have to work extra hard to show that you've changed, not just say "whoops, my bad". And you sure as fuck shouldn't endorse people with shitty views. There's a thread about the AVGN, where people, rightfully, complain about him being friends with Mike Matei, who drew some racist comics. They've chosen not to watch his channel, as is their right. By the same token, people have the right to complain when Bernie endorses someone who has said some abhorrent things in the past, and has done little to repudiate them.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Are you being deliberately obtuse? This is not an afternoon picture that he took with people that just ended up together. This was an event, for the organization, that he consented to being a part of.

I didn't imply it was a random photo.
I'm not convinced of the accusation without better evidence. For example something saying he supports the organization inspite of it's Armenian genocide denial.

Status
Not open for further replies.