• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This kind of highlights why being too old can be a problem when running for president. Imagine if this had happened after he became president during a time of imminent crisis that required immediate action. Obviously health issues can happen regardless of age, but the risk raises a ton as you get older and older

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Can people stop referring to this is "minor"... There is no such thing as minor heart surgery.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hope him a speedy recovery. If he ends up having to not run, wonder if Yang will fill the void.
Dear god I hope not.

I hate to be this cold while he is having health issues, but I have felt for a while that either Warren or Sanders would need to drop out because I think they are going to split votes and allow Biden to win. A Warren/Sanders ticket (or vice versa) would be able to beat Biden I believe.

ratcliffja

Oct 28, 2017
Sanders doesn't need to be the nominee to call his campaign a success. Over the last 2 presidential elections, he's moved the party significantly left and now made things like Medicare For All a viable and even desirable stance. I'm not saying his campaign is over, but if he does decide to call it quits, nobody should look at it as a failure.

Zaeia

Jan 3, 2018
I wish him a speedy recovery! For the past 5 years this man has been putting his heart and soul (not pun) into reeducating the country and fighting for the preservation and progression of democratic thought. We need him so much, but I hope he puts himself first (I know he won't).

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
All the best to him and a speedy recovery.

Even if he recovers fully I assume the optics of this could mean the end of his political career as far as running for the presidency is concerned?

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
Stents definitely require surgery to put in. It's not as invasive as other heart surgeries but it's still intense. My dad, in his 40s and in good shape, was off work for three months after getting stents out in following chest pains/heart attack.
My dad recovered from having a stent put in pretty quickly, but the next debates might be too high a pressure scenario too soon.
Hopefully, since this was caught before a heart attack, he's able to recover relatively quickly. (Not just for the campaign, but for his own sake.) We'll see if he's able to make the October debate or not. He's already qualified for next month's debate (along with Biden, Warren, Pete, Harris), so... I'd guess that if his recovery goes well, he may stay in it even if he isn't able to make the October debate.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
No. Fuck that. While I don't want Bernie to overexert himself, I want to see him finish the primary. Supposing he does win it, Warren should be his VP, and god forbid something happens to Bernie, Warren can become president. It's a good plan. If Bernie doesn't win, then that's how it is. But Warren better fucking win in that scenario.
Man... The current campaign is a joke compared to the heart of the primaries next year when it's going to be down to 2-3 high profile candidates.
And a Primary is itself a joke compared to the high stakes campaigning, multiple stops a day, of a Presidential.

You're asking Sanders to take a chance at killing himself, when he should focus on his health and family.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think Bernie has enough appeal to overcome this and not be a negative, he can show off his scars and point to his story of socialized medicine saving his life and not bankrupting him.

lol, dude if he is able to "spin" this to be positive that just so blatantly shows how sexist the Clinton 2016 "health" concerns were from people on GAF/ERA back in the day.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea why someone who supports Bernie would have a second choice of Biden. Guess the public is dumber than I thought.

legacyzero

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Man... The current campaign is a joke compared to the heart of the primaries next year when it's going to be down to 2-3 high profile candidates.
And a Primary is itself a joke compared to the high stakes campaigning, multiple stops a day, of a Presidential.

You're asking Sanders to take a chance at killing himself, when he should focus on his health and family.
He should have the agency of deciding for himself. True fighters fight to their last.

That's how I'd wanna be remembered.

Deleted member 8561

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No. Fuck that. While I don't want Bernie to overexert himself, I want to see him finish the primary. Supposing he does win it, Warren should be his VP, and god forbid something happens to Bernie, Warren can become president. It's a good plan. If Bernie doesn't win, then that's how it is. But Warren better fucking win in that scenario.

Explain to me why Warren would spend the next eight years of her political life spent as a glorified lap dog when she could be actually doing important things in the Senate?

Nobody as old as Warren wants to be VP.

ratcliffja

Oct 28, 2017
His voters second choice goes Biden then Warren. His endorsement would help obviously but it's not a slam dunk that a majority of his voters would go to Warren's camp.
I don't think recent polling has shown that to still be true. Warren has been the second choice for the vast majority of people who didn't have her as their first choice. I think the main reason Biden was many people's second choice was because of name recognition. An endorsement and winning some early states would do a lot to make Warren look like a serious candidate.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
Sad to see this happen to the man, and I hope he focuses on his health.

Others can pick up the torch of progressive politics. There's no shame in him having moved the conversation within the Democratic party to the left on so many issues over the last few years. A victory, for sure.

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
He should probably just step down if this is as bad as it sounds, both for the sake of his health and for the sake of the democrats having a shot at winning the election.

ratcliffja

Oct 28, 2017
Fair enough, but calling it minor is still ridiculous, all the same. It may be routine, but there is no minor procedure when it comes to the heart.
I agree with that. Believe me, it was terrifying when my dad had to have the procedure multiple times. I just think the distinction is important because I would say something like bypass surgery would be a 100% end to his campaign, whereas this is something from which he could potentially recover. The main problem is the timing. We're only 4 months out from the first primary elections and this could cause him to be out for a month or more.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While I consider all heart related health to be of the highest of importance. Stents are the best case scenario in that situation and I applaud Bernie for going to the hospital right away instead of ignoring it. This could have been a lot worse.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Stents definitely require surgery to put in. It's not as invasive as other heart surgeries but it's still intense. My dad, in his 40s and in good shape, was off work for three months after getting stents out in following chest pains/heart attack.

Again, it's not a surgery. I understand that it doesn't mean the situation isn't serious and that it implies an important recovery period, but it is not surgery by any medical definition of the word :) It has potential for complications but is much more commonly done than cardiac surgery, with much less risks and the invasive part only consists of a needle-like catheter being inserted in your arm (usually). Very different than a full-blown heart surgery that requires an open chest and you blood being pumped through a machine. But hey, that's just some nitpicking with the way the thread is titled, comments and preoccupations expressed still stand.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with that. Believe me, it was terrifying when my dad had to have the procedure multiple times. I just think the distinction is important because I would say something like bypass surgery would be a 100% end to his campaign, whereas this is something from which he could potentially recover. The main problem is the timing. We're only 4 months out from the first primary elections and this could cause him to be out for a month or more.

Knowing nothing about heart procedures, does the fact that it was an emergency procedure imply anything about the severity / prognosis / recovery time?

Deleted member 8561

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Except Joe Biden apparently

There was a poll from Pew a while back that showed quite a few people making that move IIRC. Never underestimate misogyny.

Biden was 66 when he was VP with the express goal to attempt to be POTUS.

Warren is 71 as of now, will be 72 in 2020. That means she would be 80 after an 8 year term in office, which likely means a GOP swing for the White House, which means she would be 84 to run for POTUS again.

Status
Not open for further replies.