• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Welp he was my first choice but heart surgery is no joke. I don't think he'll remain in the race at this rate. Not sure who I'll support if he drops out just yet.

Oct 30, 2017
I have no idea why someone who supports Bernie would have a second choice of Biden. Guess the public is dumber than I thought.
People often vote for who they think they can win. A lot of people think Joe Biden can win based upon his message. People don't necessarily vote based upon who would be the actual best person to sit in the oval office. They want someone who can beat Trump.
Joe is a relatively like able guy who speaks pretty plainly about how shitty Trump is. Given Joe's background as VP, he carries an appeal.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
Assuming he didn't have a heart attack, you can be back on your feet after having a stent procedure pretty quickly (see: my dad), so I don't necessarily think this means he's out.

Scary though. Hope he recovers.

Agreed. My grandma had stents in from a really bad blockage last year and was up and back to "normal" really quickly.

I hope Bernie recovers quickly

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
I hope he makes full recovery, but it's also something that I have thought about in the past. Bernie is fucking old. I had doubts he can actually run again if he wins, but this cements it. We need much younger candidates if we want a 2 term president.

Gyro Zeppeli

Oct 27, 2017
To all the Bernie supporters on Era: We need to understand the gravity of the situation. If it's clear that Bernie can no longer continue, then it's also clear that Warren is the only viable choice that is anywhere close to Bernie's ideology and platform. Biden and the other neoliberal centrists mustn't win in the primary.

ratcliffja

Oct 28, 2017
Knowing nothing about heart procedures, does the fact that it was an emergency procedure imply anything about the severity / prognosis / recovery time?
My dad's first procedure was an emergency in response to a heart attack. It's been so long that I honestly don't remember all the details, but he's been around for multiple decades since then. With that said, if this was an emergency for even heart attack-like symptoms, it probably indicates urgent issues that might take a bit to recover from. It's very likely that doctors would advise him to take a break for at least a month if not longer. The question then would be what he does with that advice.

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
can't see sanders having much of a shot at winning the primary after this. he was already losing ground to warren, this is not going to make it easier to cover it. shame, since he'd be the best choice obviously.

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like what they found, they found it early, hope it pays dividends later and he's in good health from here on.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If I were Sanders I'd wait til the next debate and if I'm unable to participate, then as long as Warren doesn't stumble I drop out and endorse her in the following days.

I doubt Sander will actually do that though. He'll probably fight til the bitter end.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't want to sound pessimistic but I feel like this basically kills his campaign in terms of having a shot at being President. Between disasterously bad luck of being sick during the last debate (which, not to take any credit away from warren etc, but resulted in a lot of his support shrinking) and now this, it's just a real shame.

I hope that he can get well soon and get back on the campaign trail. He is a much needed voice, in continuing to be instrumental in transforming the discourse of the Democratic Party, and the country as a whole.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
Knowing nothing about heart procedures, does the fact that it was an emergency procedure imply anything about the severity / prognosis / recovery time?
Emergency was presumably due to the severity of the blockage. (Bad blockage, higher chance of cardiac event if left unfixed.) But since it was caught before a heart attack, it should be a good sign for prognosis, recovery time. Obviously we can't predict these things, and campaigning is a demanding, stressful job. Hope it goes well and he can take the time he needs for recovery (not jumping back into it too soon).

Gyro Zeppeli

Oct 27, 2017
I just want to point out how hilarious this chart is:

_109062238_updatedpolling-nc.png

Will bet you even with news of Bernie's surgery, Buttigieg, Harris, Beto, Booker, etc will still be polling less than 10%. Catch those L's.

Deleted member 32561

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
That he caught it early is good. I hope he can make a speedy recovery, and makes the best decision for his health once he does, whether it be staying in or dropping out. He's a beacon for good and to lose him now would be a tragedy beyond a decent human dying, which is of course itself always sad.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow that's crazy, I hope he can recover quickly, it's important that they were able to catch it.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
This is an endovascular procedure correct? Meaning they don't need to crack open the chest?

Hoping Bernie has a speedy recovery.

Gaf Zombie

The Fallen
Dec 13, 2017
That is some scary shit. I wish him a speedy recovery.

If I were him, I would drop out and enjoy the rest of my years. He can still be an advocate without the stressors of running for president.

Sep 14, 2019
Again, it's not surgery. It's a non-surgical procedure. It's still serious, but much less invasive than surgery. I don't know that I'd call it minor, but I definitely wouldn't call it major. It's more significant because of his age.

It may be minimally invasive, but it's still considered surgery, no?

I believe my middle school math teacher had this procedure.

I think he was back after a few days, but he was in his 50's. It was also about 15 years ago, so maybe the procedure has become less serious.

LJ11

Oct 25, 2017
Recovery is pretty quick, my uncle is slightly younger than Bernie, very active guy, just a couple of years difference. Dude had TAVR and stents done and was out of the hospital quick. Kept him in overnight for the stent and he was out, TAVR was a 3 day stay. Visited him a week after his TAVR and you couldn't even tell this dude had a valve replaced, just couldn't lift weight. Modern heart surgery is crazy good. Good luck to comrade Sanders, he'll be fine.

ratcliffja

Oct 28, 2017
It may be minimally invasive, but it's still considered surgery, no?

I believe my middle school math teacher had this procedure.

I think he was back after a few days, but he was in his 50's. It was also about 15 years ago, so maybe the procedure has become less serious.
No. Surgery is a type of procedure in which you make an incision to get inside the body. In this case, they don't need to do that. Instead, the arteries are ballooned to make room for a stent that is passed in through the arteries.

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
Hope he makes a speedy and full recovery. Not the biggest fan of his but he's been a great voice for the left in this country.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sad to hear and I hope he recovers. I love his policies and what he has done for discourse in this country, but Sanders is too old to be president. I love Warren as a candidate too but I think even she is right on the edge of being too old. We need an age limit on the presidency, congress and supreme court.

SerAardvark

Oct 25, 2017
My dad had a similar procedure done and even if it's fairly routine these days it's still scary as shit in the moment. Hope he recovers quickly and fully.

Pasha

Banned
Jan 27, 2018
User Banned (3 Days): Antagonizing another member
To all the Bernie supporters on Era: We need to understand the gravity of the situation. If it's clear that Bernie can no longer continue, then it's also clear that Warren is the only viable choice that is anywhere close to Bernie's ideology and platform. Biden and the other neoliberal centrists mustn't win in the primary.
We understand, and while I still like Bernie far more than anyone else, I am very sad about this news.
Although I'm sure all the Warren supporters are having a grand old time with this news. I'm sure certain round pink characters are popping a champagne and dancing tonight.
Welp he was my first choice but heart surgery is no joke. I don't think he'll remain in the race at this rate. Not sure who I'll support if he drops out just yet.
It's Warren dude, no one else is even close. I just hope she will not be corrupted by all the super pac money she is going to be getting in the general and turn into Hillary lite.

V_Arnold

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hungary
I hate this darkest fucking timeline.

I do not dare reading the thread, I can only take so many "JUST LET WARREN BE PRESIDENT, MOVE ASIDE OLD MAN" comments before I lose my sanity in the process. Fuck.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I hate this darkest fucking timeline.

I do not dare reading the thread, I can only take so many "JUST LET WARREN BE PRESIDENT, MOVE ASIDE OLD MAN" comments before I lose my sanity in the process. Fuck.
We all want Sanders to recover first and foremost. But since he is a leading candidate for President it is natural that there will be discussion about how the race is affected.

no schadenfreude in this thread at all, no sir
If you're accusing people of taking pleasure in Sander's health problems then you need to provide receipts.

SolarPowered

Oct 28, 2017
My stomach practically did a 180 when I saw the news in my YT recommended videos. Hope he gets back out there in good health and wins this race.

Status
Not open for further replies.