• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 18192

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everything Bernie is talking about is just the norm for the majority of the Western world. Banned assault rifles here in nz and the world hasn't fallen apart. Still a more "free" country than American.

Arjen

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I have to say, all the Era talk about Rogan being unequivocally alt-right doesnt at all square with the contents of this podcast. He gave Sanders a platform first of all, gave him free reign to basically go wherever he wanted, asked very charitable questions, agreed with a lot of not most of what he said. I get that Joe also has a lot of suspect opinions himself that he shouldnt get a free pass for, but this podcast still contradicts a lot of what has been said about him here.

I guess reality is a little more complex than a lot of people make it out to be.
Just because some vocal people here on Era tell you Joe is alt-right, doesn't make it a fact.
From everything i've seen from him he's pretty left leaning.

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017
Really good interview, the only thing that surprised me was Bernie didn't have a concrete plan to help deal with the amount of guns in the country.

Honestly the best solution for that is a federal gun buyback program:

The government offers a 1 time deal with a deadline right before tax season where people can turn over their guns & ammo (optionally, legal or otherwise with no penalty for turning over illegal arms) to the government and receive money (approx. $100-$300 per gun depending on quality/type of gun) via a tax credit based on amount given in return. The government then either provides those to the military when applicable or destroys the weapons when not.

Bernie could temporarily increase his speculation tax for the 1st year to pay for this if it's too much combined with his other plans.

Especially with how the economy currently is, there's a loooooot of people that are pro guns but would turn over their weapons for a big wad of cash. There's a few families near me that could easily nab close to $1,500 from something like that.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
You don't have to like joe rogan, but it's weird to tsk tsk sanders for getting his message out on a popular platform. Rogan has garbage people on, but he has good people too. Cornel West was just on a month ago and the ratings and comments all appear very positive.

Seems like a huge wasted opportunity to not try to reach out on such a big platform with a gullible audience.
I didn't say anything about Sanders in my comment you were referring to. You were so quick to jump on me you extrapolated something I didn't even say.

Deleted member 18192

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Really good interview, the only thing that surprised me was Bernie didn't have a concrete plan to help deal with the amount of guns in the country.

Honestly the best solution for that is a federal gun buyback program:

Exactly what NZ is doing. But that apparently makes us communists according to the US right wing

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Just because some vocal people here on Era tell you Joe is alt-right, doesn't make it a fact.
It doesn't much matter what he personally thinks he believes when we have objective receipts of who he gives a platform to.

Uno Venova

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because he wants to reach a new audience instead of preaching to the choir?

k2YT0t3.png

4Bw64eL.png
Like the Fox News hall, Bernie knows how to go into the hornets nest and still come out looking great.

Good move.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
Also people don't listen to Rogan so they get political ideas,they listen to him to relax and hear about random shit about nature, space, the world, humans. Main problem with Joe is he doesn't realize people like Rubin and Peterson have a different agenda. I've listened to 1000s of hours of JRE and Rogan isn't right wing. He doesn't know every tactic that the right uses so he doesn't know how to tell assholes from non assholes. He is a smart dumb person that is curious about hearing from people. Sometimes that benefited the show because he brings on some interesting people, sometimes he brings on some really bad people.

Big Baybee

Oct 27, 2017
So are people handwaving away the alt-right receipts people have posted, as well as racist language used in the past just being fully disingenuous at this point? I feel like posters have laid out their reasons for thinking this, and a lot of the response is just people straight up ignoring the reasons.
Also people don't listen to Rogan so they get political ideas,they listen to him to relax and hear about random shit about nature, space, the world, humans. Main problem with Joe is he doesn't realize people like Rubin and Peterson have a different agenda. I've listened to 1000s of hours of JRE and Rogan isn't right wing. He doesn't know every tactic that the right uses so he doesn't know how to tell assholes from non assholes. He is a smart dumb person that is curious about hearing from people. Sometimes that benefited the show because he brings on some interesting people, sometimes he brings on some really bad people.
Nah, fuck that. He is a grown ass man that is responsible for the people he brings on his podcast.

Arjen

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It means he is giving them a platform to spout their views, one where they will not be significantly challenged to the degree they deserve/need to be. That is doing harm.
So call him a bad journalist or a bad interviewer then. He hardly challenged Sanders in this interview, does that make him a Sanders supporter now?

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The main problem with him is he gives platforms to bad influences and doesn't check them. He lets them say what they want, responds "woah dude you're blowing my mind" and his audience eats it up. It's not that he's alt-right, it's more that he's just dumb.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
So call him a bad journalist or a bad interviewer then. He hardly challenged Sanders in this interview, does that make him a Sanders supporter now?
Wel he isn't a journalist haha, far from that. I don't know that he's a bad interviewer, he's bad for the cause though. He platformed someone more on our side this time, but a shit wrapped in fine silk is still shit, you can't do bad shit and then say "well I did something not bad" and be free from criticism. Nobody forced him to have people like Jordan Petersen on, I don't think having Bernie on makes up for it or excuses it.

Deleted member 22490

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The main problem with him is he gives platforms to bad influences and doesn't check them. He lets them say what they want, responds "woah dude you're blowing my mind" and his audience eats it up. It's not that he's alt-right, it's more that he's just dumb.
Exactly. At best, Joe is a useful idiot for the alt-right.

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
This discussion reminds me a lot of Charlemagne Tha God. Same opinion applies for me.

He's trash and I genuinely think he gateways people in a ton of anti-intellectual bullshit, but some of the people Bernie wants in order to win are listeners.

He has a privilege to go into these platforms that others, notably Warren, Harris, and Booker, don't have or in some cases want. Happy he uses it effectively which is more than I can say about Tulsi, Yang, and Marianne.

All that being said, I'm still team Warren on this, don't platform assholes. And I was mad disappointed when she got on CTG's show.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because he's white, male, personable, and ultimately, stupid.

I don't know, he's such a stammering little prick. I remember that video where he and rubin were talking about whether or not religious people could attend a gay couple's engagement party and you could see rubin's head explode inside even though he tried to keep up his "I'm totally reasonable and tolerant even of intolerance" facade

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
Unfortunately it feels like a lot of posters here only deal in black and white and wouldn't be caught dead near anyone that disagrees with them. A lot of posters o see here are displaying the same behavior they excoriate Fox News for.

Status
Not open for further replies.