• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tracygill

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The Left

Ryan Grim‏
@ryangrim

Bernie Sanders pledges to end practice of prosecuting whistleblowers under the Espionage Act

As president, Bernie Sanders would end the practice of using the controversial Espionage Act to prosecute government whistleblowers, the Vermont senator told The Intercept in an interview on Saturday ahead of a major rally in New York.

The century-old law had largely gone out of fashion until it was deployed heavily by the Obama administration, which prosecuted eight people accused of leaking to the media under the Espionage Act, more than all previous presidents combined. President Donald Trump is on pace to break Barack Obama's record if he gets a second term: He has prosecuted eight such whistleblowers, five of them using the Espionage Act, according to the Press Freedom Tracker.

Asked if it is appropriate to prosecute whistleblowers using the Espionage Act, Sanders said, "Of course not."

The Espionage Act, which was passed in 1917 to suppress opposition to World War I and now considers leakers to effectively be spies, makes a fair trial impossible, as relevant evidence is classified and kept from the defense, and the bar for conviction is low. The law also comes with stiffer criminal penalties and longer sentences than more obvious charges that might be leveled, such as mishandling classified intelligence.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
Say what you will about Bernie Sanders, but he is the progressive candidate. Best candidate? That's up to each of you.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Snowden been a guest of russia for how long now? I am sure they flipped him

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
Well, that would decrease the amount of times that the Intercept fails in protecting its whistleblower sources.

Good on Bernie.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I legitimately appreciate this from Sanders, if I were American this might sway me over from Warren. Obama's treatment of whistleblowers is one of the stains on his legacy. Snowden deserved better.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
Can't wait for the Infowars-like theories that will be going on regarding this policy.

To quote Rachel Maddow : Russia, Russia ... Russia russia russia, Russian, Russia, Putin, Russia

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Snowden been a guest of russia for how long now? I am sure they flipped him
His real value would have been in the sheer data, and I honestly don't believe he kept that on him. He'd been found dead in a ditch in like 2 second if anyone on the world believed he ever had those things on him after he left Hong Kong.
And the only thing he wants, to go back without getting prosecuted, is the thing Russia can't give him.

Not even really sure why people care so much about Snowden anymore, dude did this thing and he's now little more than a living historical footnote.

Oct 26, 2017
So someone can blow the identities of undercover operatives, thus putting their lives in great danger and not be prosecuted for it? Don't think I agree with this one.

Snake

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds good. I hope Warren at least can co-sign this notion, since I know Biden won't.

Madison

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lima, Peru
Good shit by Bernie, hes really trying to win me back after I symbolically switched my support to Warren
its incredible how much people love to defend the disgusting aspects of the US state

People who expose the worst aspects of a tyranical bloated disaster of a country deserve credit, at least in that regard.

I get hating on Assange cause he really drank the kool aid...

but Snowden? Manning?

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
So someone can blow the identities of undercover operatives, thus putting their lives in great danger and not be prosecuted for it? Don't think I agree with this one.
He didn't do that, he gave documents to journalism that exposed massive government surveillance... you're thinking of Manning

(Why does this keep happening)

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok, how would you describe him?
Asshole who accidentally did an ok thing.
Good shit by Bernie, hes really trying to win me back after I symbolically switched my support to Warren
its incredible how much people love to defend the disgusting aspects of the US state

People who expose the worst aspects of a tyranical bloated disaster of a country deserve credit, at least in that regard.

I get hating on Assange cause he really drank the kool aid...

but Snowden? Manning?
Chelsea "I had to disappear from public life because I kept hanging out with Nazis" Manning?

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
Good on Bernie.
By removing whistle-blowers from the espionage act it would keep the government in check.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Read the article I linked above.

A fun quote from Snowden's chatlogs (THH=Snowden
<TheTrueHOOHA> save money? cut this social security bullshit
<TheTrueHOOHA> Somehow, our society managed to make it hundreds of years without social security just fine
<TheTrueHOOHA> you fucking retards
<TheTrueHOOHA> Magically the world changed after the new deal, and old people became made of glass.

Oct 25, 2017
The traitor Snowden is a Russian asset who gave all the super secrets to Vladimir Putin, he's a stooge and deserves to be executed for his crimes against the just United States.

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
Smear Merchants be out here doing nothing if not consistently asserting false equivalencies in an attempt to will their reality into existence

...What smear? Snowden himself is open about his libertarian world view, support of Ron Paul, and so forth. I'm not the one willing reality into existence.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
Snowden is a well known libertarian and supporter of white supremacists like Ron Paul.
Listen, man, I don't disagree with you. But I find the framing of your initial point disingenuous. "Why do we care what (Edward Snowden) thinks?" Because he's so obviously relevant to the topic at hand. In your understandable and, in my case, informative pursuit to discredit Snowden, you've (inadvertently, I assume) made the appearance of trying to discredit the OP. Should we listen to Edward Snowden's politics? Of course not. But I don't think that there's much libertarian spin in a single-word reaction, and I think that its inclusion in the thread effectively frames the significance of Sanders's pledge.