• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tukarrs

Oct 27, 2017
Intercept - WITH BOLD IMMIGRATION PLAN, BERNIE SANDERS BECOMES THE ONLY CANDIDATE TO CALL FOR BREAK UP OF ICE AND CBP

One piece of this is the Domestic Workers Bill of Rights, which would "provide domestic workers with at least a $15 minimum wage, strong protections for collective bargaining, workers' rights, workplace safety, and fair scheduling," regardless of immigration status.

"For too long, employers have exploited undocumented immigrants and guest workers to violate labor laws, skirt the minimum wage, and maximize their own profits," the plan reads. "Large corporations target vulnerable communities as a source of labor and use their immigration status to retaliate when workers stand up for their rights."

The release of Sanders's plan comes after months of scrutiny from leftists and liberals over his immigration policy — long considered to be one of his primary weaknesses. His plan follows the common left positions on immigration, including reinstating and expanding the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, or DACA, program; ending for-profit detention; and overturning the Muslim ban.

Notably, he also goes further than even his fellow progressive hopeful, Sen. Elizabeth Warren, in calling for full demilitarization of the border. To break up ICE and CBP, under Sanders's platform, their functions would be redistributed to other federal agencies. Under a Sanders administration, "deportation, enforcement, border and investigatory authority would return to the Department of Justice," naturalization and citizenship authority would go to the State Department, and customs authority would return to the Treasury.

Sanders's long track record defending labor interests has seemingly sometimes stood in opposition to his otherwise pro-immigrant rhetoric. His policy platform is an attempt to reconcile the two: a worker-centric immigration agenda that bolsters immigrants' labor rights and offers them a part of the social safety net through programs like Medicare-for-all.

The most sweeping part of the plan: a proposal to use executive action to protect unauthorized immigrants who have lived in the US for more than five years from deportation, which, according to the Pew Research Center's estimate, would cover almost 9 million people — more than any other legalization plan in the field.

You can read the full policy "A Welcoming and Safe America for All" here.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
deportation, enforcement, border and investigatory authority would return to the Department of Justice," naturalization and citizenship authority would go to the State Department, and customs authority would return to the Treasury.

This sounds really great.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It all sounded great to me until I got to the anti-trade part. not sure why that is even in this document

I did enjoy him name-checking Joe Lieberman -- what better way to identify a bad idea than to point out it was his

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
Bernie out here trying to win over my vote like this... you love to see it.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
is there anything else Yang is about?

cause the most major thing I've kept hearing is UBI from him and that was it.

giphy.gif

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
If Bernie or Warren wins

We all win

The rest of the field isnt terrible but they are clearly multiple tiers below what Bernie and Warren are doing

I love that we have multiple Aces in the hole right now

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Just out of curiosity but if we are changing immigration laws and their enforcement what does abolishing ICE accomplish?

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
This is a big deal. Moving the old INS structure back under the DoJ goes a long was in de-weaponizing the agency, as I feel like a bunch of restrictions and oversight vanished once it moved to Homeland Security.

OP
OP
Tukarrs

Tukarrs

Oct 27, 2017
It all sounded great to me until I got to the anti-trade part. not sure why that is even in this document

The idea is that by improving labor and material conditions in Mexico (or Canada), people would be less likely to cross the border.
Increased labor standards can ensure that workers in other countries aren't exploited, which also drives down domestic work/value.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
That terrorist organizations can be held accountable.

Accountable by who? Their current function ceases to exist once the law is changed and our enforcement policy changes. I am not opposed to empowering the DoJ but they will ultimately still rely on an enforcement arm under a different name.

Oct 29, 2017
Accountable by who? Their current function ceases to exist once the law is changed and our enforcement policy changes. I am not opposed to empowering the DoJ but they will ultimately still rely on an enforcement arm under a different name.
In a just world a tribunal would be set up or international courts would get involved like what happened post ww2 to account for the actions of ice.

Stryder

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
US
Haven't read much but does it include any boarder security? if we don't have ICE what will take its place?

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it's hilarious how far ahead of the pack bernie is

you're telling on yourself if bernie and warren aren't your top 2 tbh

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The idea is that by improving labor and material conditions in Mexico (or Canada), people would be less likely to cross the border.
Increased labor standards can ensure that workers in other countries aren't exploited, which also drives down domestic work/value.
NAFTA has bits built in that set minimum standards and wages for certain types of workers, though.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how anyone at this point with a vested interest in improving society can look at Bernie and think "Absolutely not."

Gyro Zeppeli

Oct 27, 2017
Bernie has the best policies across the board, but you know how it goes, better things aren't possible. Biden it is.

Oct 27, 2017
Bernie and/or Warren in the POTUS/VP roles will be great; democrats just need to get their game together on the sustainable energy front because renewables ain't cutting it in their current form. Accelerate the deployment of Gen IV+ nuclear (i.e., MSRs) and we'll have the complete policy platform.

That's one thing Yang does have going for him; he, Jay Inslee, and Corey Booker are fully behind accelerating the commercialization of Gen IV+ nuclear.