• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It says right there we'd redistribute their functions to other agencies. So we'd have somebody doing customs. Just not an agency called Customs and Border Patrol.

If it is handled well then thats good. I was more so making that original statement in a response to posters saying abolish or get rid of CBP. Maybe I miss understood them.

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017
If it is handled well then thats good. I was more so making that original statement in a response to posters saying abolish or get rid of CBP. Maybe I miss understood them.

It depends on what your concern is. Obviously we need to, like, do customs. The question is whether we need a specific agency whose metrics and thus budgets and performance evaluations are focused on border apprehensions, or whether we can just have somebody else, focused more generally on crime reduction and quality of life, handle that job.

I do, actually, think we should stop having immigration enforcement more or less completely, but I don't think that's really on the table this year.

Josh5890

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
No you are right, my bad. Why do you think they are necessary as opposed to already in place law enforcement?

Well on a personal level, I work in international logistics so I deal with customs on a regular basis, albeit my role is minor at best. They handle inspection of containers and goods coming and leaving the country as well as assigning a lot of permits licenses for importing and exporting goods. Not sure which government wing would take that over if you got rid of customs, or if they just reorganized it.

As for border patrol, I believe in protecting our borders. I will admit that I am not very knowledgeable in our current immigration system, but I am all for allowing anyone into the country that wants to start a life or just make money for their family back home. Obviously we should protect our borders from the drug trades and other illegal activity that goes through the border, but I am all for open borders otherwise.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well on a personal level, I work in international logistics so I deal with customs on a regular basis, albeit my role is minor at best. They handle inspection of containers and goods coming and leaving the country as well as assigning a lot of permits licenses for importing and exporting goods. Not sure which government wing would take that over if you got rid of customs, or if they just reorganized it.

As for border patrol, I believe in protecting our borders. I will admit that I am not very knowledgeable in our current immigration system, but I am all for allowing anyone into the country that wants to start a life or just make money for their family back home. Obviously we should protect our borders from the drug trades and other illegal activity that goes through the border, but I am all for open borders otherwise.
Not sure who would take over customs either, but yes customs in general is a necessary function. Perhaps the state department?

As far as drug trade/illegal activity goes...for one, we need to radically change our approach to drugs in general. Focus needs to be on drug addiction as a medical issue and decriminalization/legalization as opposed to law enforcement methods. Other illegal activity can be handled by other federal and state authorities, like the justice department, FBI, and local law enforcement.

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
Hello America,

Please endorse then elect Bernie Sanders. Don't fuck this up a second time.

Regards,

The rest of the world.

fuck, is there anyway we can just combine Warren/Bernie?

A unity ticket. The problem is getting one of them to accept VP while they both still have a realistic chance at the actual nomination.

Josh5890

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure who would take over customs either, but yes customs in general is a necessary function. Perhaps the state department?

As far as drug trade/illegal activity goes...for one, we need to radically change our approach to drugs in general. Focus needs to be on drug addiction as a medical issue and decriminalization/legalization as opposed to law enforcement methods. Other illegal activity can be handled by other federal and state authorities, like the justice department, FBI, and local law enforcement.

Oh I'm all in agreement on the country's current approach to drugs being reviewed and reworked. That leads into prison reform, which is another major issue in our country. Maybe local law enforcement could be used to monitor borders and likewise. I would also like to see the "checkpoints" within our borders wiped out too. If there is to be a border patrol, then man the border and that is it.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
What the fuck, it's like kids playing army with this surplus crap. What possible justification can they have for rolling up like they're in Iraq?

It's in the article:

An ICE spokesperson confirmed that one individual was taken into custody on an unspecified criminal arrest warrant. A spokesperson for Mayor Bill de Blasio said the agents were there as part of a federal investigation into a firearms suspect, who was allegedly found to have been hoarding "about 50 guns, including a machine gun, gun parts and ammunition."