• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xenocide

Oct 25, 2017
Vermont
How many others apologized for supporting it or similar bills? You're going to punish him for actively trying to right the wrong committed? Besides, the policies he is pushing for now are what matter.

Biden was the only one in the Senate at the time it passed, and he's acknowledged it had major flaws but thinks elements like the VAWA and Sex Offender Registry were net positives. Hell, Hillary was expected to defend the bill, even though she wasn't in Congress when it passed, but because her husband signed it. Bill Clinton himself apologized for it though and it made no difference, Hillary was still attacked for him supporting it in 94.

Ultraviolence

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bernie Sanders is OVER

Congratulations to Pete Buttigieg, the 46th President of the United States.
image0.gif

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
Why do the misdeeds of fanatic supporters have any influence on what should or shouldnt be done?

Funny how its always the 'bad seeds' when its about the asymetrical nature of the response to Criticism of Bernie vs other canidates.

I guess it was just the bad supporters that shit up multiple threads about the Bernie vs Warren argument? Seems like then that Bernie has alot of bad supporters on this forum because those threads all together had thousands upon thousands of posts.

Ashodin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Durham, NC
So if he apologised for it and changed his stance, why is this a big deal? It's not like people can't change.
As an outsider all the non-story smears against Bernie are bizarre, are you all really that desperate to not have a candidate on the left?
There are two camps on this board that are anti Bernie. Warren stans that believe Bernie should be replaced with their candidate and are desperate because she's dropping like a rock, and Hillary stans secretly backing Warren because they don't want to be wrong about 2016. They know if Bernie wins here, everything they did in 2016 was wrong because Bernie should've had the nomination back then.

That's my take.

Skelepuzzle

Apr 17, 2018
I'm not arguing that his current legislation is bad, I'm arguing that the 'purity tests are stupid' take and the 'Sanders is the most consistent politician ever' point are irreconcilable. Hardcore berners constantly trumpet the latter and pull out videos from the 80s to support their points, but are super glad to pull out the purity test card and argue old videos actually don't mean anything at the drop of a hat.

And to be clear, Sanders is my favorite in the race. But I've never pretended that he was anything more than a politician.

Well, despite the fact we agree on never trusting a politician too much, I would say that despite his occassional bad takes that he probably is the most consistent left leaning politician in the US. It's not irreconcilable unless you run into one of the crazies who says he has never done anything wrong, but I think those people are just attached to celebrity at that point.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not arguing that his current legislation is bad, I'm arguing that the 'purity tests are stupid' take and the 'Sanders is the most consistent politician ever' point are irreconcilable.

Those really aren't irreconcilable. Bernie has been very consistent, but not 100% consistent, and he's got a record that he can stand behind, with some points of contention that he generally acknowledges as compromises he took. This differs from Biden outright lying about his record on social security or the effects of this crime bill; in both cases the context and the consistency is what tells us how to seriously to take any change of heart or regret on a specific vote.

People arguing against Bernie by making the conversation only about his most annoying fanboys undermine their own argument because those of us who've decided Bernie's the one, flaws and all, aren't going to change our minds just because there's some a-holes who love him; there's been plenty of a-holes endorsing every candidate I've ever voted for.

Out of curiosity, what separates a smear from a legitimate criticism? Because nobody seems to think any criticism is legitimate.

Smear threads take quotes out of context or even fabricate them, hype up the claim beyond its merits, ignore context, act as a "gotcha!"

There have been a lot of them aimed at Bernie recently, at least one of which was locked for lack of truth to the claims being made.

Oct 25, 2017
There are two camps on this board that are anti Bernie. Warren stans that believe Bernie should be replaced with their candidate and are desperate because she's dropping like a rock, and Hillary stans secretly backing Warren because they don't want to be wrong about 2016. They know if Bernie wins here, everything they did in 2016 was wrong because Bernie should've had the nomination back then.

That's my take.

That's a terrible take. You are just fabricating things. As someone who see politicians for what they are, there is definitely a fanaticism associated with Bernie. I like Bernie, quite a bit, but he is not infalible.

Deleted member 3896

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is a great opportunity for people to start applying a consistent standard across all candidates with regard to their past mistakes.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

That's my take.
Hell of a self-serving take

Oct 27, 2017
Well, despite the fact we agree on never trusting a politician too much, I would say that despite his occassional bad takes that he probably is the most consistent left leaning politician in the US. It's not irreconcilable unless you run into one of the crazies who says he has never done anything wrong, but I think those people are just attached to celebrity at that point.
Oh I'm not arguing that he's the most left leaning mainstream politician in America. That's indisputable IMO. For me I just want other Bernie supporters to be able to mount a better defense than 'purity tests are bad', because I don't feel like that gels with how many purity tests they administer to other candidates. It does come off as hypocritical.

Mind you, I'm also fully willing to argue that, for instance, Warren has an obnoxious cult of personality surrounding her that makes many hypocritical arguments, but they ain't ready for that.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
These past few weeks remind me of when people try to get evangelicals to vote Democrat because Trump got a divorce, even though he's installing judges with lifelong terms that want to repeal abortion every month, and then are shocked when they don't care too much

but instead of horrible shit it's a guy who wants to prevent people from dying because they can't afford insulin

Freakzilla

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Funny how its always the 'bad seeds' when its about the asymetrical nature of the response to Criticism of Bernie vs other canidates.

I guess it was just the bad supporters that shit up multiple threads about the Bernie vs Warren argument? Seems like then that Bernie has alot of bad supporters on this forum because those threads all together had thousands upon thousands of posts.

I have no idea. You didnt see me saying anything. Either way I couldnt care less who didnt or did support it. I care about the policies the candidates are presenting today.

Oct 25, 2017
None of the congressional members supporting the bill get to live down their vote, Bernie included.
I would imagine Bernie would say he was entirely wrong in his rationalization if asked today, but he still voted, and there were consequences.
This is my stance as well. This vote isn't a new development and was also known back during the 2016 primary and was later brought up earlier in the year in July by CNN again. https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/28/politics/bernie-sanders-not-happy-terrible-1994-crime-bill/index.html

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Bernie is surging and daily smear threads won't stop a mass movement.

Would you like some pepper with that salt?
In what way is this a smear? He no longer supports his position here and it won't change my support of him, but it's does a disservice to Sanders and the rest of the country to not recognize legit criticisms, even if they're older.

He's still by far the best candidate in the race, but we shouldn't approach criticisms as with or against.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
The U.S. is going to deal with more Trump if they keep trying to look for the "perfect" candidate for the Democrats.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Gee, I wonder what the other candidates stances were at this time.

This is a great opportunity for people to start applying a consistent standard across all candidates with regard to their past mistakes.

Cool, maybe at some point people will hold Warren accountable for her racist 'interfaith' council fuck-up from a couple of days ago where she forgot PoC other than black folks existed and even managed to forget about the Catholic church.

But you know trying to launch an interfaith council only featuring Protestant pastors, a Rabi, and a white sensai clearly isn't even thread-worthy here.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea. You didnt see me saying anything. Either way I couldnt care less who didnt or did support it. I care about the policies the candidates are presenting today.

Then dont try to minimize the vitriol on this side of the forum to 'just a few bad seeds' when that's anything but true. it exists, its real and it has happened repeatedly.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
Why is it so difficult to admit that people aren't infallible? Bernie is still an amazing person and a great candidate with a legitimate opportunity at being President, it's okay, you can admit that he has his faults. Clutching your pearls, plugging your ears, and labeling any criticism as baseless attacks by the status quo to prevent a true change candidate from taking the White House by storm sounds very familiar - and it truly needs to stop. Unrelenting blind fanaticism is never a good thing.

xenocide

Oct 25, 2017
Vermont
Gee, I wonder what the other candidates stances were at this time.

Well the only one with a relevant stance is Joe Biden, and he has since acknowledged the bill had major flaws, but defends his vote.

Cool, maybe at some point people will hold Warren accountable for her racist 'interfaith' council fuck-up from a couple of days ago where she forgot PoC other than black folks existed and even managed to forget about the Catholic church.

You mean the incomplete list published by her campaign and immediately retracted once they realized it was a mistake?

Deleted member 3896

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

But you know trying to launch an interfaith council only featuring Protestant pastors, a Rabi, and a white sensai clearly isn't even thread-worthy here.
Was something stopping you from creating a thread about your concerns on this?

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Hillary apologized for it and Bernie supporter still attacked her on it, on this very forum.

Now that the shoe is on the other foot, apparently forgiveness should be automatic? Thats pretty hypocritical.
To be a hypocrite it has to be the same person. Why are some of you trying to paint broad strokes for past grudges?

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Well the only one with a relevant stance is Joe Biden, and he has since acknowledged the bill had major flaws, but defends his vote.

You mean the incomplete list published by her campaign and immediately retracted once they realized it was a mistake?

I'm not having the same conversation with you again given how it went last time and it's almost like the fact they tried to release it in the form they did was concerning in the first place? Also it clearly wasn't a mistake as much as they didn't foresee the backlash and immediately tried to nuke it.

Craymond

Oct 28, 2017
Portland
Before BlueSkies gets too excited, this is old news and he knew it was flawed legislation that packed in more legislation he actually supported.

Not a Stan just the truth; we'd be lucky to have either Bernie or Sanders.

Semfry

Oct 25, 2017
Lmfao Bernie has lied his ass off multiple times most recently being lying about having a heart attack obviously to help his campaign.

Then

"Bernie isn't a viable condidate because he had a heart attack"

Now

"Bernie isn't a viable condidate because he lied about having a heart attack"

We've finally unlocked the level beyond Galaxy Brain

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I hate to copy/paste from those previous locked threads, but it still applies here, as this is a very misleading non-story:

If we're seriously going to go into overdrive spinning tiny stuff into huge fights, we will never survive this election cycle. Stop it.

Status
Not open for further replies.