• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know how anyone can say with a straight face that Bernie isn't fighting a cultural war. There has been a massive shift in the way some people approach politics ever since he ran. You see this sentiment whenever someone like Jeff Bezos is mentioned in pop culture. Awareness about workers rights and other similar topics are also at a high.

Deleted member 22490

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
We've been talking more about what the left has been doing wrong. I've been using this discussion as an excuse to drill down further into why I personally don't like Bernie and it sort of helped solidify some related thoughts about the perils in the current political landscape. Solutions are an entirely different beast. Wish I had some to give.
So you don't like Bernie because he's not fighting a culture war. Are the rest of the candidates fighting a culture war? If so, which ones. I am very curious about this.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know how anyone can say with a straight face that Bernie isn't fighting a cultural war. There has been a massive shift in the way some people approach politics ever since he ran. You see this sentiment whenever someone like Jeff Bezos is mentioned in pop culture. Awareness about workers rights and other similar topics are also at a high.

I don't get it either.

Deleted member 22490

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
One of the biggest cultural changes recently is that more and more people see healthcare as a human right. Another one is that billionaires are immoral.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

M-M

Oct 27, 2017
When those policies fall through, people get disenfranchised, and they move on. It's not a cultural fight that Bernie is fighting. It's a systemic fight. A systemic fight doomed to fail.

The Right didn't get into power by promising systemic change. They may have had messages that intoned systemic change, but the systemic change wasn't the point. They barely changed the system at all. (Unless you count the supreme court.) The Right is focused on changing the culture. That's why they're winning. Even with the most unpopular president in the history of the country. That's why Russian campaigns are effective. That's why Chineese campaigns are effective. Shit, it's why Christianity is a thing.

It's all about culture.

I'm still not exactly sure what you expect to be done by a presidential candidate to "change the culture" of this country, if pushing the overton window left using rhetoric, policy proposals, and grassroots organizing don't qualify. Like, what else is a politician supposed to do? You're talking about who is and isn't doing it in your opinion, but without actually explaining the differences in their approach that lead you to these conclusions, this almost feels so vague that I literally can't even tell if it actually means anything or if it's a completely arbitrary distinction. Our expectations of what this country could and should be like, our expectations of what participation in the political process entails, our beliefs about the power(or lack thereof) of organized labor...Why do those not qualify as being part of the culture?

Deleted member 22490

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You keep trying to pidgeonhole this discussion into Candidate X vs Candidate Y.

It's incredibly disingenuous.
Not trying to pidgeonhole you. I'm trying to understand what you mean by culture war. The only example you've given is the basket of deplorables thing which, to me, is a completely superfluous, surface level attack that doesn't really change anything because it has no action to back it up. There is value in calling a spade a spade, but it can't just end there.

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We've been talking more about what the left has been doing wrong. I've been using this discussion as an excuse to drill down further into why I personally don't like Bernie and it sort of helped solidify some related thoughts about the perils in the current political landscape. Solutions are an entirely different beast. Wish I had some to give.

Pekola

Oct 27, 2017
When you like Bernie's plans, because free internet:
tenor.gif

Seattle6418

Oct 25, 2017
Brasília Brazil
Biden, Obama and the rest of the centrist democrats would tell Rosa Parks to just move up one row every year.

What a wonderful way to fight for change.

(A bit of sarcasm considering the tone of the discussion).

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not trying to pidgeonhole you. I'm trying to understand what you mean by culture war. The only example you've given is the basket of deplorables thing which, to me, is a completely superfluous, surface level attack that doesn't really change anything because it has no action to back it up. There is value in calling a spade a spade, but it can't just end there.

The right is threatened by anybody challenging their cultural identities. However, the right's entire political theory is based on dehumanizing and challenging everyone else's political identities. If you think that attack was completely superfluous-- and I mean the initial attack, not the walkback-- as I said, fuck the walkback-- then you weren't paying attention. There's a reason the right reacted the way in which they did. It's more than just calling a spade a spade-- you're challenging their position in the cultural zeitgeist. The way the right reacted was, "You can't do that to us. That's our thing."

The reason the right has the political capita to do what they've been doing is because they have been able to control the conversation. Controling the conversation is part of influencing the culture, and culture is what creates the systems we're fighting. Every chance we've had to do that, we've scattered, like a deer in the headlights.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also, what do you consider systemic and what do you consider cultural?
Policy is systemic. Messaging is cultural.

It's like the old saying-- Laws don't create morality, but morality creates laws. Take that and expand it. Everyone in the democratic field has had terribly weak messaging, especially with regards to cultural issues like racism, homophobia, transphobia and misogyny. Even in regards to dealing with white supremacy. Especially with gun control.

BADMAN

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It's like the old saying-- Laws don't create morality, but morality creates laws. Take that and expand it. Everyone in the democratic field has had terribly weak messaging, especially with regards to cultural issues like racism, homophobia, transphobia and misogyny. Even in regards to dealing with white supremacy. Especially with gun control.
Everyone on the field has called out racial injustice, gun violence, LGBTQ+ rights, and Misogyny. Do you suggest that they stop pushing policy and focus entirely on that messaging?

Deleted member 22490

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The right is threatened by anybody challenging their cultural identities. However, the right's entire political theory is based on dehumanizing and challenging everyone else's political identities. If you think that attack was completely superfluous-- and I mean the initial attack, not the walkback-- as I said, fuck the walkback-- then you weren't paying attention. There's a reason the right reacted the way in which they did. It's more than just calling a spade a spade-- you're challenging their position in the cultural zeitgeist. The way the right reacted was, "You can't do that to us. That's our thing."

The reason the right has the political capita to do what they've been doing is because they have been able to control the conversation. Controling the conversation is part of influencing the culture, and culture is what creates the systems we're fighting. Every chance we've had to do that, we've scattered, like a deer in the headlights.
yes, it was superfluous because Hillary wasn't backing it up with action. At the same time, Hillary didn't want single payer and other so-called starry eyed plans. We can't just fight "culturally". It has to be paired with action. Material needs must be addressed as well and hillary wasn't really offering that.

So should politicians not focus on the policies that could help these groups and solely focus on the message?

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yes, it was superfluous because Hillary wasn't backing it up with action. At the same time, Hillary didn't want single payer and other so-called starry eyed plans. We can't just fight "culturally". It has to be paired with action.

So should politicians not focus on the policies that could help these groups and solely focus on the message?

Why is your thinking on this issue so binary?

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
I hope he makes it in. If not hes gonna split the vote again and we get 4 more years of cheetoh.

Deleted member 22901

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
i really hope bernie wins the primary. he's the only candidate that gives me any kind of optimism for the future of this country.

Deleted member 22490

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why is your thinking on this issue so binary?
I could say the same to you. I think it's quite telling that you came into this thread to say that this won't pass because it was starry eyed and unrealistic and then change your reasoning for saying that several times. First it was so that people won't get disillusioned by the process so you wanted to manage expectations. Then it was because sanders supporters didn't want nuance. And now it's because you don't think the system will change until the culture does despite the two being so intertwined with each other. Like, for me, it doesn't matter that a corporate board better reflects the diversity in the United States if they are still massively contributing to climate change. It doesn't matter if Hillary called the right a basket of deplorables if she still supported coups changes in other countries or giving money to countries that use child soldiers.

I think you started this purely from an anti-sanders POV and went from there. To be quite honest, it has led to some strange places such as suggesting that Bernie isn't fighting culturally.

ameleco

The Fallen
Nov 2, 2017
Good! This should already be standard and yet here we are. I do think at least some of this will happen regardless if Bernie wins.

Deleted member 7130

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I still don't know what you mean by culture and "we"

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh so you're trolling a Bernie thread. Got it. Glad you got what you wanted. Another positive Bernie thread made about people who are insistent that he's the worst because...well he just is and please don't ever apply this to any other candidate because "you're just binary".
I reacted to a superfluous question with a superfluous question. But ok.

I could say the same to you. I think it's quite telling that you came into this thread to say that this won't pass because it was starry eyed and unrealistic and then change your reasoning for saying that several times. First it was so that people won't get disillusioned by the process so you wanted to manage expectations. Then it was because sanders supporters didn't want nuance. And now it's because you don't think the system will change until the culture does despite the two being so intertwined with each other. Like, for me, it doesn't matter that a corporate board better reflects the diversity in the United States if they are still massively contributing to climate change. It doesn't matter if Hillary called the right a basket of deplorables if she still supported coups changes in other countries or giving money to countries that use child soldiers.

I think you started this purely from an anti-sanders POV and went from there. To be quite honest, it has led to some strange places such as suggesting that Bernie isn't fighting culturally.

I think we're done here. You've pretty much closed up shop on this discussion, so, have a nice remainder of your day.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
The laws against municipalities building their own internet infrastructure, when the ISPs refuse to, should 100% be illegal.

Deleted member 10551

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bernie might have just re-won my vote with this. Warren, your move.

How would he get it passed. Can you imagine the lobbying money. I love you Bernie. But God damn would republicans be coming out of the weeds to stop it suddenly for no explicable reason other than it hurts competition. Which is fucking ironic beyond belief.

Much of this could be done via executive order via the FCC. It might take time, but Ajit Pai could be fired immediately, replace with consumer advocates like Philip Dampier (Stop the Cap), and it would get done eventually.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
He didn't split the vote before.
The bernie or bust folks resulted in democrats who wouldnt vote for hillary when he didnt get the nomination and she did. Especially after stuff came out bout blocking bernie from within the party. That crowd going 3rd party just weakened votes.

ShotyMcFat

Oct 29, 2017
The bernie or bust folks resulted in democrats who wouldnt vote for hillary when he didnt get the nomination and she did. Especially after stuff came out bout blocking bernie from within the party. That crowd going 3rd party just weakened votes.

more Bernie supporters voted for Hillary then Hillary voters voted for Obama

if Obama was able to win despite Hillary it shows just how bad of a candidate Hillary was with a more unified Democratic Party then what Obama had.

lets also not forget she didn't bother going to Michigan to get peoples votes, if she won't bother going to them they have no obligation to go to her. It is Hillary's job to convince people to vote for her and she fucked the whole thing up herself.

Last edited:

BADMAN

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hillary lost enthusiasm all on her own. You can blame Bernie as much as you want but she had months to sway the American people and get them to pokemon go to the polls.

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
Good. How will he pay for it though? He's already proposed trillions of dollars of new spending but doesn't really have a concrete plan to pay for any of it (beyond 'tax the billionaires', but you can't pull trillions even from them).
deficit spending? Completely reasonable if you ask me.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017

And yet a vast majority of Bernie supporters voted for Hillary... Cant believe this dumb hoax still perpetuates

Last edited:

ZSaberLink

Oct 26, 2017
I actually generally like this idea. As with any proposal the question is how will he get this through Congress if the Dems don't control both houses. I think he's overpromising (as usual) saying it'll all get done in his first term though given how many things need to be done.

Although how much of it is in the president's control vs Congress? I guess we'll see.

Dec 25, 2018
High speed internet should be over most of the US, I don't see this plan costing $150 billion. But then again, I'm not an engineer of this stuff. Here in Delaware, we have serious deadzones of internet. The top of the state has blazing fast gigabit, but the rural parts are still using satellite which is total shit. It's like they're stuck in the 90's and there's huge monopolies, like paying $100 or more for like 100down and 10 up. I get a 1gig for $75 a month here.

Oct 28, 2017
I only pay $70 a month to get gigabit up and down. It's crazy how little &70 gets you in some parts of the country.

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017
I'd like to think granting nearly all Americans with high speed internet, removing data caps, and reducing expensive internet plan prices would create far more wealth over a decade than the plan would cost. The internet is the backbone of more and more services. You can't tell me having a baseline internet speed across the country that's higher than like, 1mbps wouldn't allow millions to use the internet in ways they couldn't before.

Bernie probably got more new democratic voters into the system than there were supporters of his who refused to vote Hillary. Voter registration tables on campus were like like little Bernie enclaves.

Ayahuasca

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
more Bernie supporters voted for Hillary then Hillary voters voted for Obama

if Obama was able to win despite Hillary it shows just how bad of a candidate Hillary was with a more unified Democratic Party then what Obama had.

lets also not forget she didn't bother going to Michigan to get peoples votes, if she won't bother going to them they have no obligation to go to her. It is Hillary's job to convince people to vote for her and she fucked the whole thing up herself.

TYT said Bernie campaigned 39 different times for Hillary. How many did she campaign for Obama?

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Genuinely impressed that the Sanders campaign has a lot of on-point ideas. I've been conditioned to expect less from people who run for office.