• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Exellus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

"the most significant goals we have set:

• Reaching 100 percent renewable energy for electricity and transportation by no later than 2030 and complete decarbonization by at least 2050
  • Ending unemployment by creating 20 million jobs
  • Directly invest an historic $16.3 trillion public investment
  • A fair transition for workers
  • Declaring climate change a national emergency
  • Saving American families money
  • Supporting small family farms by investing in ecologically regenerative and sustainable agriculture
  • Justice for frontline communities
  • Commit to reducing emissions throughout the world
  • Meeting and exceeding our fair share of global emissions reductions
  • Making massive investments in research and development
  • Expanding the climate justice movement
  • Investing in conservation and public lands to heal our soils, forests, and prairie lands
  • This plan will pay for itself over 15 years

PintSizedSlasher

The Wise Ones
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
giphy.gif

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
I mean if the recession is coming might as well spend as much as we can.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
Reaching 100 percent renewable energy for electricity and transportation by no later than 2030

I literally don't see how this is possible.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
I'm on board, but sadly, most Americans (and most people around the globe) are scared shitless of change like this...because of "comfort".

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
Taking the name of a plan spearheaded by a female colleague for his own plan strikes me as bad form.

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017
The absolute mad lad actually did it. He released by far the most drastic and comprehensive climate plan. Amazing. I love this man so much.

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
I've been game with a lot of his plans, definitely the union one.

But this one just sounds really off. Less of a plan and more of a wishlist. Like, this can't all be coming from federal money: how is he gonna work with the public and private sectors on this?

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
These plans continue to not support nuclear energy pisses me off.

voOsh

Apr 5, 2018
  • Reaching 100 percent renewable energy for electricity and transportation by no later than 2030 and complete decarbonization by at least 2050
  • Investing in conservation and public lands to heal our soils, forests, and prairie lands

It's so sad these bullets have to be laid out in a plan when they should be default positions by EVERY candidate. None of these are remotely debatable.

edit: didn't see the lack of nuclear, that is a problem for sure

blackw0lf48

Jan 2, 2019

"the most significant goals we have set:

• Ending unemployment by creating 20 million jobs
  • Directly invest an historic $16.3 trillion public investment
  • A fair transition for workers
  • Saving American families money
  • Supporting small family farms by investing in ecologically regenerative and sustainable agriculture
  • Justice for frontline communities
  • Expanding the climate justice movement
  • This plan will pay for itself over 15 years

Leah Stokes has a really good overview of Bernie's plan, pros and cons

I'm really skeptical about the ability to transform to 100 percent renewable energy for electricity by 2030. And annoyed that he's not willing to consider nuclear energy.

I absolutely LOVE the ambition of 7.4 million social housing units though.

hurlex

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know how this compares to Inslees 6 part plan he released. Hope he took a lot of good stuff from that as well.

I believe Inslee called for us to be carbon neutral by 2045.

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
Hoping it's a big point of the next debate now that Inslee is out of the race. He was the only one who seemed to get it.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Reaching 100 percent renewable energy for electricity and transportation by no later than 2030

It's not. By 2030 most new consumer vehicles will likely be electric, but things like planes and boats and trains, there is no way within that time frame.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

we're talking about combating climate change in America, let's be real we're already dead

doesn't mean we don't lay out plans for the best and most necessary path forward and fight like hell for them

WhoTurgled

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean this literally needs to be done so whether it seems feasible or not is pretty irrelevant to me

Oct 29, 2017
Bernie has been absolutely killing it with these proposal releases the past few weeks. Are people still saying he is all fire and no substance?

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
These plans continue to not support nuclear energy pisses me off.

I don't think it is out of the question that it would eventually be an option, but the general voter is only going to associate nuclear power with stuff like the various reactor meltdowns over the last few decades or associate it with nuclear weapons. It's safer to not use it as a selling point of his deal.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I appreciate the ambitious 2030 date for at least electricity/transportation.

The issue is more urgent than what people think and even those who promise zero emission by 2050 are putting this goal way too far.

lexible

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I dunno, can't we do a CBA on saving the planet from global apocalypse? After the CBA we can form a committee to decide on whether the CBA was accurate.

We're all gonna die motherfuckers, the time for this chin stroking was 15 years ago.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Doesn't matter how feasible any of this is. Our planet is dying and we need to do something about it. Go big or go home.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
The GoP would continually sabotage this every step of the way.

You need a consistent Democratic majority for at least 10 years to lock this type of plan down.

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm all for crazy green plans. What good is any of our work if our planet goes up in flames? Let's hit the solar powered gas.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
Almost Inslee's plan

Why not just 100% go with his and say it. He isn't running anymore

Or just straight up say you're gonna have him handle it. He seems to understand how to practically implement things better

supernormal

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I'm on board, but sadly, most Americans (and most people around the globe) are scared shitless of change like this...because of "comfort".

Pretty much. Seeing the air conditioning thread just a few days back was a big eye-opener. Everyone just kept their AC on all day even when they were at work and refused to exist at anything other than 70 degrees (here I was thinking my current 85 degrees was perfectly acceptable). How is that sustainable in any way, shape or form?

I'm hoping these investments lead to some sort of new discovery that can help combat this because waiting and expecting people to change their habits is part of why we're here in the first place.

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
Honestly, this has the same problem as much of Bernie's plans; a lot of grand ideas and no method of how to realistically implement it.

Septy

Prophet of Truth
Nov 29, 2017
United States
Pretty much. Seeing the air conditioning thread just a few days back was a big eye-opener. Everyone just kept their AC on all day even when they were at work and refused to exist at anything other than 70 degrees (here I was thinking my current 85 degrees was perfectly acceptable). How is that sustainable in any way, shape or form?

I'm hoping these investments lead to some sort of new discovery that can help combat this because waiting and expecting people to change their habits is part of why we're here in the first place.
Where do you live where 85 degrees is comfortable. In the south it's unbearable

moomoo14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why is it that progressive politicians aren't for nuclear? I don't know how we can feasibly eliminate carbon emissions without it, unless if some miraculous scientific discovery is made on very short notice.

Jeb

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Mar 14, 2018
Considering everyone and everything that is at stake, go for it.

The amount that goes to war and the defense budget in general is fucking ridiculous, to think that when the literal fate is of the planet is at stake, some people look at this and be cautious of spending?

pink

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
yo

leave nuclear power alone bernie

i fuck with everything else but that's such it's such a silly notion to demonize nuclear power