1. Clusterdreams

Clusterdreams

What an excellent post. Think I’ll bookmark this for posterity.

2. RedMercury

RedMercury

Edit: My bad

3. Apathy

Apathy

Time for Bernie to sit down and shut the fuck up

4. [​IMG]

5. Bob Beat

Bob Beat

[​IMG]

Bernie is gonna run and I won't vote for him. Not because he's white. For reasons.

6. Veggen

Veggen

You can't reason with class-reductionists.

7. excelsiorlef

excelsiorlef
    Member OP

Pretty sure they're saying what Sanders said was ridiculous

8. excelsiorlef

excelsiorlef
    Member OP

Same with this.... They're saying it to Sanders

9. Surface of Me

Surface of Me

As someone who really supported Bernie back in 2016, he has fallen from grace in my eyes. I sincerely hope he doesn't go again in 2020.

10. D i Z

D i Z

Dipshits incoming. Dive dive dive.

[​IMG]

11. Wag

Wag

Give him a break- those two black people who live in Vermont really make people uncomfortable.

12. Enzom21

Enzom21

Before any of you other morons bring up Dr. King again, stop it, that shit isn't even true.

13. Mammoth Jones

Mammoth Jones

I think Sanders understands the political reality that if you want to win certain voters over it doesn't help to insinuate that they're racists. Despite the fact that it might not be true. As a political move, I understand.

But how many times have minorities, black people in the US especially, been thrown under bus with the most violent consequences all for the sake of political expediency. No more of that nonsense I say.

14. NoName999

NoName999

Does DigitialOP ever not spit fire. Damn! That was choice

Also Bernie-defenders, if you have to go "He actually meant..." as a defense every time, that means Sanders is inarticulate as sin and will have trouble arguing for progressive ideals. And would have a hard ass time being President.

15. Driggonny

Driggonny

You forgot:

-Bernie marches with MLK and ends racism

Somewhere in there

16. excelsiorlef

excelsiorlef
    Member OP

Apparently what he doesn't understand is that you don;t' have to explicitly say they're not racist...

17. TerminusFox

TerminusFox

Tell me
    More about economic anxiety tho

18. sph3re

sph3re

Well put.
    If he's inarticulate, he could always run as a Republican, they seem to eat that shit up

19. Hoot

Hoot

Dammit Bernie. Used to like you back in the election but that comment wasn't it chief. Fucking go to the bench and think of what you did. And then get someone who gets it better to run instead

20. DigitalOp

DigitalOp

Hahahaha I laughed out loud. That was a good one.

Also Fun Fact: I voted Bernie in the primary. I liked him targeting wealth inequality.

But after this, nah bro

21. Soundscream

Soundscream

Hey gotta make sure Shifty, Smoothie and D-Money dont move from Maine into Vermont.

22. RedMercury

RedMercury

Well goddamn! I'm sorry Puroresu_kid and Encephalon !

23. D i Z

D i Z

I said it. Told you all. They hit the goddamn reset button once others were no longer useful. Neighbors my ass!

24. GatsGatsby

GatsGatsby

Yeah Bernie is way wrong on this one. I don't give a shit if the person is purple if they got policy I like and I believe they can get shit done I'm voting for them.

25. Powdered Egg

Powdered Egg

As a member of SNCC, I wonder if Bernie crossed paths with Stokely Carmichael.

26. excelsiorlef

excelsiorlef
    Member OP

Bernie Sanders can relate to being uncomfortable voting for a Black person, he wanted to primary Obama in 2012 after all.

27. Soundscream

Soundscream

Damn blacks getting all uppity, gotta set them straight.

28. blakeseven

blakeseven

Holy fucking shit this is amazing.

29. Bernie should have the 'can't relate' argument instead.

30. luffxan

luffxan

Dear lord its 2018 and this shit is still happening. Reading Clipwhatevers post made me laugh my ass off, although I suspect it was my soul trying to keep me from crying. This type of ignorance is gonna be around until I die isn't it?

Sanders saying something to this effect as a political move I understand too, and that's what I was hoping for when I saw the thread title, but after reading what he said oooof. After not having a very serious opinion of him before this I'm leaning heavily towards the negative now.

31. this is really disingenuous and I expect better from you tbh.

But I’ll repeat myself: he only considered primarying Obama because he wanted to make drastic cuts to Social Security and Medicare that would be praised by rich centrist pundits and Obama was only stopped by GOP obstructionism

32. How About No

How About No

god bless you

33. srtrestre

srtrestre

Inexcusable. Glad the thought of voting for Bernie never even entered my mind at the time. Edit: more like ever.

34. D i Z

D i Z

Deaf ears. That's all that's left. Deaf ears.

35. Alec

Alec

This needs to be read by everyone on this board. It's so good.

36. Double 0

Double 0

This post is perfection.

37. Mammoth Jones

Mammoth Jones

0.0% lies detected. Also, can we reference this post in the future when mofos get confused like they don't understand how things in America got this way?

Finally, if you read this post and rolled your eyes you already know what you are. Stop bullshitting.

38. Tpallidum

Tpallidum

I like Bernie but WTF? He's 1000% wrong. It is absolutely and undeniably racist. I don't know what else to call it.

39. HyGogg

HyGogg
    Banned Member

But he isn't actually saying that these people don't have racial bias -- he's explicitly stating that they do. And we can get hung up on whether or not racial prejudice and racism are the same thing, but doing that clearly misses the substance of what he's trying to say. He isn't letting them off the hook, he's just trying to say that there are people that are reachable, but not there yet. It's a distinction between ideologically racist, and someone who is subject to racial bias.

And I know a lot of people want to say those are inherently the same thing, and I get that impulse, but it can be useful to talk about them separately for a few reasons.

First, racial bias is really prevalent among white people, even the educated liberal set. If we're talking about implicit bias, it's a vast majority. And even the more overt sort, it's a pretty sizable minority. And labeling every one of these people in the same way we do, say, a David Duke or a Richard Spencer, for whom this is more ideology than tendency, is not terribly useful if your goal is to rally the vote to move past that bias.

Second, it can be really politically toxic to talk that way. Even when it might be factually correct. Calling people racist is never persuasive, and if we want to reach people, sometimes we have to take a softer approach. Bernie has always been a big proponent of populist messaging, and populist messaging can be controversial among the elites and the ideologues, but it's a powerful tool as well. And to his credit, I think the substance of what he's trying to say here is fair.

40. Dead Man

Dead Man

Fucking hell Bernie. I liked you. Now I've got to add you to the pay no mind list. Fuck.

41. You should add in the gutting of voters' rights act because "it's not needed anymore"

42. Boom

43. jakomocha

jakomocha

Holy shit, I can't believe I used to heavily support this guy back in 2016. Guess everyone else was right when they told me I was just a dumb, naive teenager.

44. IrishNinja

IrishNinja

was gonna say who's man is this
    but y'all should've known the last few times he was on about "identity politics"

45. I think most of his supporters would be behind Beto O'Rourke. I will be if Beto runs.

46. Slayven

Slayven
    You probably post about me on another board. Moderator

Beto is the goods, he is what people think Sanders is

47. Emmert

Emmert

I'm sorry, but I can't find much difference between racism and diet racism. People who don't vote for black people because they're black are absolutely racist. These people shouldn't be coddled by soft words. I get what Bernie is trying to say, but the way he phrased it is tone deaf at best. The way it's phrased sounds almost like he's putting the onus on black people to be more appealing to white people, when they've been dealing with enough shit already.

48. HyGogg

HyGogg
    Banned Member

• User Banned (Permanent): Rationalising and excusing racism over multiple posts; previous severe infractions.
    That's not a good way to understand it. It isn't a distinction of bad/worse, bias and ideological racism mean two different things.

I actually think in terms of the negative effects felt by people of color, bias is a MUCH bigger problem than actual ideological racism and white supremacy, just because it's a lot more prevalent and it can much more easily infiltrate institutional structures.

The reason that distinction is important is just because, unlike ideological racists who are cognizant of their beliefs, people with bias usually don't realize they're biased. They think they're hiring/voting/judging based on merit and it just so happens that 3/4 of the time the white person is more deserving. They don't think of themselves as racists, and if you want to reach them, and build the kind of coalition that wins election, you can't just label 80% of the population (and it is 80% of the goddamn population) as "racists who need to fuck right off." You just can't be that direct about it.

I'd love to live in a world where we could tell it like it is 100% of the time, but that world isn't the world of politics, at least.

49. I've read most of the thread so apologize if this was addressed and I missed it but the point about it being the first time they had the possibility of voting for a black person, does that even apply? Is he including primaries like his ass lost in as well? Because if so, not to mention two elections with Obama, I guarantee this wasn't the first time these people had the chance to vote for a black candidate. I already checked and saw that Florida had a black candidate for governor in the last 16 years. Shut the fuck up Bernie!

50. DigitalOp

DigitalOp

You know, this just popped into my mind.

It's why we have all the Suppression happening in the first place