• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ConHaki66

Oct 27, 2017
cenk is a dumbass, just saw his segment on tyt where they were discussing this. bullheaded idiot just defending sanders even when one of his co-host was telling him African american supporters of Bernie didn't like this particular comment.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
I completely understand the flashpoint. But why are we skipping past Hillary having protestors removed when they call her out for saying that youth in gangs were superpredators who need to be "brought to heel" while touting a racist crime bill that disproportionately affected black communities? Why is Bernie "out of touch and asinine" for holding a joint even with BLM regarding mass incarceration? That, I don't understand.
This is weird, is holding an event to talk about mass incarceration somehow a credential that is worth pointing out?
I mean even Trump do that, is that somehow enough to have black people consider him anything but vile?
You're also glossing over Clinton's relationship with black communities like the only thing she said or did is the superpredator comment and pushing the crime bill (crime bill that Sanders voted for and actually used his vote to campaign on later on).

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
And goddamnit double post.

Clinton was not historically disliked amongst Black people. Why is this so hard to get? If I run for King of NY against Barack Obama, there's no way I'm getting the Black vote. Next election, if I run against Joe Crumb and Shorty Doorag it's rather disingenuous to have "Failed to connect with Black voters" as a narrative.

Bernie connected with Black voters AND failed to beat Clinton. None of these new cats Democrats are floating for '20 would have been able to win the Blacks from '16 Hillary.

Michelle, Barack, and Hillary are the only people alive who are guaranteed to start with 80+% of the Black vote the moment they put their name down.

That doesn't mesh well with the narrative that Sanders' supporters that somehow black communities would vote for Sanders if given the choice.
For the sake of argument I'm willing to entertain the idea that Clinton may not be a candidate exciting to black communities but that doesn't reflect well on her opponent AT ALL.
And I'd argue that looking at the baggage Sanders is bringing and in a normal campaign, his favorability would certainly drop to quite a certain extent.

cenk is a dumbass, just saw his segment on tyt where they were discussing this. bullheaded idiot just defending sanders even when one of his co-host was telling him African american supporters of Bernie didn't like this particular comment.
Just a side note, I feel like shitting on Cenk for this should be predicated on the fact that what Sanders said is wrong, not because African americans didn't like it.

OP
OP
excelsiorlef

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
If we're really going to get into Hillary/Bernie.. again

Let's use really key context relevant to this thread

Clinton called Trump supporters deplorable
Bernie called them... not necessarily racist.

If we're going to play this fucking game again

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why were John Edwards and Howard Dean so bad?
Kerry's cousin was an active politician in France and by god was he obnoxious about that.
Edwards was actually straight up a literal psychopath. At one time, long before the primaries, he told Kerry a story, said it was in confidence and that he had never told anyone before. Then, as Kerry was considering his running mate options, he told Kerry the same story w/ the same "in confidence" caveat. (Kerry picking him for VP despite this is a complete abdication of leadership know that we know this.) And then the guy cheated on his cancer-stricken wife and produced a kid.

Now, we didn't know any of that at the time, but the inauthenticity was a tangible thing w/ him that you could pick up on.

Dean's campaign collapsed fast and it was way before the scream. He was running a campaign style that was just not deep enough into the internet era to work.

Deleted member 19003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes. There's a whole Politfact investigation here, did you read that? I mean, I don't want to derail the thread too much, but I think calling youth in gangs "superpredators" is dehumanizing and we all knew exactly who she was talking about when she said it, particularly because it was in support of a crime bill that disproportionally affected blacks and Clinton himself pitched it as something that would address violence in black communities. So yeah, it's racist as fuck to call them "superpredators," there's really no "can be interpreted" about it. And by the way, let's not forget how she handled a black protestor who confronted her about it: https://www.cnn.com/2016/02/25/politics/hillary-clinton-black-lives-matter-whichhillary/index.html (Spoiler: They were removed)

As a reminder, rather than having security boot the BLM protestors from his event, Sanders gave them the podium.

Meanwhile, I don't see Bernie's comment as "openly racist" in any way, it just sounds like he's way more worried about getting votes from problematic people and the phenomenon of radicalization through conservative media/campaigns, which is causing him to fail to judge the people who end up being radicalized as what they are -- new converts to the cause of white nationalism, a.k.a racists. Someone with more empathy for the black community than Sanders is showing would never have put their foot in their mouth this way, but it's not like we don't all know someone in our family who got fucked up by watching too much Fox News and broke bad.

Hillary stomped Bernie on the black vote and that's a big part of the reason he lost the primary. Do you think they were uniformed about Bernie or glossing over Hillary's imperfections or something? Why do we need to keep questioning black people's support and votes from '16 when it was loud and clear?

Byakuya769

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I say you never gonna be President now (never gonna be President).

74e.gif

Deleted member 47092

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 25, 2018
Then you misread it, because it literally says what the thread title does.
Lol... It's literally a shortned paraphrase version because the full quote is too long for a headline.... But sure by all means defend your insinuation.

I know tensions are running high and you may feel like you're constantly dealing with trolls or worse, actual defenders of white supremacy - I'd just ask not to always make assumptions about who you may be responding to.

The quote is this "I think you know there are a lot of white folks out there who are not necessarily racist who felt uncomfortable for the first time in their lives about whether or not they wanted to vote for an African-American."

On my reading (and I'm more than willing to be wrong), the uncomfortableness directly impinges their ability to claim their not necessarily racist. I took it to mean, those that think they're progressive or don't identify as being "racist" (in all its broadest meanings) when actually confronted with a choice ie when they were actually tested, they felt uncomfortable to do so.

I don't think the thread title reflects the quote.

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What did he mean to convey? I assume he meant to say something like "people who didn't even realize they are racist", or "people who aren't outwardly racist" as in they aren't running around as active Trump supporters, they don't actively hate black people, they don't have Nazi tattoos etc

Stardestroyer

Oct 31, 2017
What did he mean to convey? I assume he meant to say something like "people who didn't even realize they are racist", or "people who aren't outwardly racist" as in they aren't running around as active Trump supporters, they don't actively hate black people, they don't have Nazi tattoos etc
If you assume something that stupid go ahead, but Sanders is a racist. He just happens to be a racist who is progressive. So a typical NE person

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you assume something that stupid go ahead, but Sanders is a racist.
He isn't, and that's not even the question.

The question would be is that what he meant to convey, or does he literally not think those people are racist?

I read it as him saying the voters didnt realize theyre racist/they arent outwardly so. Then with the campaigns being run, they may be persuaded to vote for a white/republican candidate over a black candidate.

That's where Bernie fucked up (if he actually meant to convey what I was saying). Because that is without question, racism on the part of those hypothetical voters.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's where Bernie fucked up (if he actually meant to convey what I was saying). Because that is without question, racism on the part of those hypothetical voters.

the fact that you have to write fanfic to justifty this because there's no clear way it's not actually a racist thing to say speaks volumes

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At this point it isn't even in question. He absolutely is.
I dont understand that. Despite his "clarification" (which didn't clarify the issue we're talking about) you honestly believe he is a racist? Despite everything he has done and said before? I mean just read the "clarification". That's how a racist may talk in your opinion? I don't get that.

To me it's more likely he simply misspoke, than that he literally believes that people who have trouble voting over skin color are not racists.

Of course that'd be the way it is with me being a Sanders supporter and others clearly not.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dont understand that. Despite his "clarification" (which didn't clarify the issue we're talking about) you honestly believe he is a racist? Despite everything he has done and said before? I mean just read the "clarification". That's how a racist may talk in your opinion? I don't get that.

To me it's more likely he simply misspoke, than that he literally believes that people who have trouble voting over skin color are not racists.

Of course that'd be the way it is with me being a Sanders supporter and others clearly not.

If he misspoke twice, failing to clarify anything at all the second time around, he shouldn't be defended as a politician. And there's no evidence he didn't say what he intended to say.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I'd agree if he literally did mean that. I just don't believe he did. If I find out that he stands by that comment then yeah I guess my whole world would be shook.

The fact that you have to say what (you think) he literally and literally did not mean means he failed as a politician because part of a politican's job is being clear in their messaging. And he had a chance to clarify and absolutely failed to.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I know tensions are running high and you may feel like you're constantly dealing with trolls or worse, actual defenders of white supremacy - I'd just ask not to always make assumptions about who you may be responding to.

The quote is this "I think you know there are a lot of white folks out there who are not necessarily racist who felt uncomfortable for the first time in their lives about whether or not they wanted to vote for an African-American."

On my reading (and I'm more than willing to be wrong), the uncomfortableness directly impinges their ability to claim their not necessarily racist. I took it to mean, those that think they're progressive or don't identify as being "racist" (in all its broadest meanings) when actually confronted with a choice ie when they were actually tested, they felt uncomfortable to do so.

It literally says the same thing.

This is not hard...

"who are not necessarily racist"

When they are literally racist by definition via the rest of the sentence.

Oct 31, 2017
I assume you mean all the voters who may have been "uncomfortable"? Then yes, absolutely. I'm really going to be pissed if he doesn't and I've been a Sanders supporter since day 1.
I was being a bit glib mate. Obama went out of his way not to call voters racist during his time running for president.

I think Sanders was wrong here and clearly made a gaffe, but the reason for the overwhelming outrage on this site is a holdover from the 2016 primary. Plenty of people who were happy to role in behind a candidate who's campaign 4 years previously had spread racist conspiracy theories about Obama and who put out the idea that he may be assassinated are now outraged about Sanders. The midterms are over and Presidential election season has begun,in 2020 these same people will line up behind a candidate who made a career putting black men behind bars.

I don't think Sanders is a racist, I do think he has the best chance of beating Trump and I think his policies if enacted would help the most people, especially People of Color who are disproportionately represented among the working class.

OP
OP
excelsiorlef

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017

No he's saying just being uncomfortable about voting for, aka not voting for, a Black person because they're Black is not necessarily racist.

There's a reason in all his clarifications he's avoided the actual criticism, he can't walk ti back because then he'd anger the people he cares most about: white working class, but he has to try and muddy up his statement enough so that hopefully people will ignore what he said and invent some different meaning and not be mad at him, which won't work especially with the Black base of the Democratic party.