• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Agreed, of the many mistakes she made in 2016, VP was a biggie. I loved Warren for that slot though I wonder if it would have moved the needle.

Clinton's loss in 2016 was by such a narrow margin that virtually any major storyline you can point to (Comey's BS announcement right before the election, horrible VP pick, Russian interference, Bernie bros, etc. etc.) probably could have made the difference. But man, picking Warren would have been fantastic.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
https://theintercept.com/2018/12/19/bernie-sanders-2020-election/

I think this is a pretty solid article by Mehdi Hassan from the intercept. But I do disagree on the age issue, 79 is really old ... a lot older than even 74.

I liked this quote since polls came up several times in this thread

But here's the bigger question: Are the polls really relevant at this stage? The election is 23 months away, and none of the main runners and riders have formally announced that they're even running yet.

For comparison, guess who came top in a CNN survey of potential Republican presidential candidates in December 2014, 23 months before the 2016 presidential election? It was Jeb Bush, at 24 percent, with a double-digit lead over his nearest rival, Chris Christie. Ted Cruz, who would end up coming in second in the 2016 GOP primaries, was eighth place with 4 percent. Donald Trump's name didn't even make the list.

Oct 28, 2017
California
I'll be voting for Bernie in the primaries. If he doesn't win the nomination I'll vote for whoever wins the primary.

We have a good field of Democratic candidates and we'd be in good hands whoever wins, I just prefer Bernie is all.

Iloelemen

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There are lots of criticisms to be had for Bernie, but I hope people won't be disingenuous about it.

Stanning for politicians is well, not really good (There are Bernie stans who take their stanning way too far), but saying that Bernie supporters are blind towards him and don't acknowledge his faults is a lie (look at the recent Ilhan Omar incident where a lot of Pro-Bernie people criticized him)

And like, be self-aware about it. There are people who accuse Bernie or his supporters of "behavior" even though they or the candidates they support engage in the same behavior (sometimes, even in worse ways).

shamanick

Oct 29, 2017
Pretty sure Comey wouldn't be re-opening the investigation into Bernie in late October.

After Trump's disastrous October I believe this is what tipped the scales. But who knows?

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Chapo Trap House is a podcast for and by entitled well off white dudes who dont give a shit about anyone outside their out of touch bubble.

Throw them into the same trashheap as Sean Hannity and Tucker. Same coin, different sides.
What? I feel like there is absolutely no way you could have ever listened to Chapo if that's what you think about them. Their politics is very much the opposite of what you imply.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I don't get this logic, when the person who lost to Donald Trump crushed Bernie.

how many more times are we going to hear this dogshit?

bernie would have different campaign strategies than Hillary and appeal to different types of people, such as spending more time and being more favorable to the rustbelt states

like when bernie pulled off an enormous upset in Michigan in the primary

primaries and general elections aren't the same thing, people need to stop with this

Whompa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
To people saying, "he's old"

Yeah, and so is your dad, your mom, Joe Biden, Trump, Diane Feinstein, Chuck Schumer, Nancy Pelosi, and hundreds of other old fucks in politics.

Age is just a number. Look at their policy. That's literally all that matters.

Snowy

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Goddamn, that Bernie announcement ad kicks the everloving shit out of everybody else's, although conceptually, Booker's was pretty good, for a more exciting candidate. Whoever he gets to do his videos is like five cuts above the rest.

JesseEwiak

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
What? I feel like there is absolutely no way you could have ever listened to Chapo if that's what you think about them. Their politics is very much the opposite of what you imply.

Their politics are, "women and people of color should only care about the same things that white tool 'n' dye workers in Michigan, Missouri, and Wisconsin care about. Anything else is evil identity politics!"

Ominym

Oct 25, 2017
I like Bernie's policies, but he as of right now isn't who I'd primary for. I'll vote for whoever is on the Dem ticket regardless come the general though.

With that said I know the topic of his age has been brought up and it's a completely valid concern. The average life expectancy age for males in the United States is 78.6 and he will be 79 in 2020 if he took office; 83 if he finished his term. That is alarmingly old for a President and even older than Trump who is our oldest sitting President.

This is a very long winded way to say that his VP pick will be one of if not the most important part of his campaign.

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018

Herein lies the issue. He is too toxic for 2020 run to be successful. If you want republicans to be driven to vote, Bernie is your candidate

Stone Dudeman

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who caucused for Bernie in Iowa in 2016, I really wish he wouldn't.

In short, he's too old, Warren does better on his ideas than he does, and quite honestly I'm not a huge fan of someone who apparently hates the Democratic Party and repeatedly refuses to join it, trying to lead it.

bluepolicebox

Oct 27, 2017
Age is a legitimate concern when you're looking past the 2020 election. If Senator Sanders wins, we go through this whole primary mess again in 2022. I'd prefer to have someone who can carry the flame through two full terms.

Iloelemen

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Herein lies the issue. He is too toxic for 2020 run to be successful. If you want republicans to be driven to vote, Bernie is your candidate

???
Why is he too "toxic?"
images

Spock

Oct 27, 2017
I don't get this logic, when the person who lost to Donald Trump crushed Bernie.

It's pretty simple. Against a candidate like Trump, Bernie would have fared better than Hillary. That's not to say that he would have won. However in appealing to a certain demographic of voters that ended up voting for Trump, a large portion of that group was pretty much dead set against voting for Hillary. In contrast, there's a good chance that they would have voted for Bernie or at least seriously considered him. Hillary did well with the existing Democratic base but that is not the group that swung over to Trump. The Democratic base would have voted Democrat regardless, so with Bernie as a candidate running against Trump you would have had the existing democratic base plus a portion of those swing voters who Hillary had very little chance of getting being an establishment candidate.

Status
Not open for further replies.