• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Seems like a pretty decent track record when you consider that he was endorsing a lot of very left wing candidates running in primaries. No one sane would expect a 100% track record, but every primary victory helps further build a left wing coalition.

1) The post was stating a majority of endorsements lost elections, which was argued to be false, but is actually a true statement from the posted source.

2) The argument a lot of far left advocates use is that the Democrats need to be more "leftist" in order to win, yet the actual data shows traditional candidates won contested races in 2018 and the DSA/Justice Democrats lost the vast majority of contested races.

3) I can't find the article, but there is a Vox piece on endorsement success rates and Sanders is at the lower end of the table around 50%, with other politicians up in the 70%/80%. Obviously this makes sense when people are endorsing others within the party and with party backing but the point still remains that the main argument put forward by the far left has been proven to be rather false by the 2018 midterms.

Deleted member 8561

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You don't think Bernie Bros existed?

Using the internet as a barometer for anything is a good way to have your expectations crushed for just how many people there are who think exactly like you.

Bernie Bros were a small, insignificant group of people who were amplified by the nature of the internet.

And they were Russian bots/trolls.

Oct 26, 2017
So it was just a dumbass example. Alright.

Says the poster of a dumbass pedantic response to my criticism of a dumbass tweet.

He's bitching that people are saying Pelosi is a badass and also upset that some of those same people are saying Sanders is too old to be President. My point is that those two things have no fucking relation. I can think Pelosi is a badass and still think Sanders is too old to be President. Just like I think Pelosi is a badass and she's too old to be President.

If that confuses or upsets you, I can't help you.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
I'm hoping all these great candidates just pull the entire platform more left and progressive and then I'll just vote for the one that becomes the final candidate.

kambaybolongo

Oct 25, 2017
Says the poster of a dumbass pedantic response to my criticism of a dumbass tweet.

He's bitching that people are saying Pelosi is a badass and also upset that some of those same people are saying Sanders is too old to be President. My point is that those two things have no fucking relation. I can think Pelosi is a badass and still think Sanders is too old to be President. Just like I think Pelosi is a badass and she's too old to be President.

Why is Pelosi too old to be president but not speaker of the house? The point is that logic doesn't make any sense

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018

What disappoints me is that Bernie's career hasn't been defined by these kind of moments, instead he's let his demons ruin his reputation.

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/09/08/bernie-backers-attacks-infuriate-democrats-242386

The mutual mistrust goes beyond the establishment vs. insurgent divide that defined 2016's presidential primary. Some Democrats from the progressive wing of the party agree that he needs to do more to rein in his supporters.

If Sanders intends to lead the party, said one Democratic operative who's worked with him, requesting to speak anonymously like many others for fear of reprisal from Sanders backers, "you don't get to wash your hands of all of this."

The complaints have largely gone unheeded by Sanders' camp. Many of the senator's closest allies insist such frustration simply reflects the same misunderstanding of Sanders' "political revolution" Democrats have had since he first started running for president.

https://www.vox.com/2016/5/17/11680904/bernie-sanders-nevada-convention

Even before Sanders himself decried Nevada's particular rules, his supporters were echoing complaints he's made for months now about the fairness of the Democratic Party's primary contest.

It's not clear how fair those critiques are. The party has a hodgepodge of election rules, like closed primaries, that certainly have hurt Sanders's candidacy. But some rules, like the caucuses that reward fired-up activists, have clearly helped him.

Overall, the cumulative impact of the confusing patchwork of state rules has been to cast doubt over the legitimacy of the nomination process. And Sanders himself tends to encourage this. When he issued his statement in Nevada on Tuesday, he also issued a set of demands on how Nevada's process could be altered to "welcome" his new voters.

https://www.politico.com/story/2016/04/sanders-clinton-not-qualified-to-be-president-221666

Harris and Warren aren't Hilary either. Bernie can beat either one of them IMO, neither has close to the political clout Clinton had in 2014/15.

Between those two I can see Harris doing the legwork Hillary did to get who she is. Warren's been trying for ages, but hasn't bene able to get the same success rate but I'd give her more credibility for trying to accomplish those strategies than Bernie. He never got how the "game" worked.

Depths

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Alright, well as long as you're maintaining consistency that's fine. I guess I misinterpreted you. My bad.

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
And this is the necessary context for that chart, which the tweet alludes to.

The people he got in the swing states were racist I/Ds. Without the fake populist economic policy, it's just the racism, which isn't enough.

So, acknowledging that the guy knows about Pew Chart you provided, think on these charts he provided.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why is Pelosi too old to be president but not speaker of the house? The point is that logic doesn't make any sense
The stress of the Presidency is enormous, requires you to be available 24/7 and be able to make decisions that will kill people at a moment's notice. The logic makes perfect sense if you're aware of how much of a strain that position actually is if you're not a dementia ridden blob who watches Fox News all day. It's why everyone's hair goes white.
So, acknowledging that the guy knows about Pew Chart you provided, think on these charts he provided.
He's acknowledging the problem while also refusing to actually grapple with it. https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/na6jdfbhty/econTabReport.pdf

So let's grapple with it using the source material. Since I can't actually suss out D-leaning Is, we have to go with Clinton voters as the metric.

Net Favorability among Clinton voters
Warren- +62%, 12% don't know
Harris- +60%, 22% don't know
Booker- +53%, 22% don't know
Sanders- +48%, 8% don't know
Castro- +37% 45% don't know
Klobuchar- +34%, 41% don't know
Gillibrand- +31%, 33% don't know
Buttigieg- +14%, 65% don't know
Delaney- +8%, 75% don't know
Gabbard- +3% 57% don't know
The problem is that this is helpful for a) who is broadly popular and b) who has name recognition, two things you aren't going to win the nomination without.

But.... as you can see when comparing this to polling results, it doesn't really line up at all. Warren isn't leading polls, Booker isn't even placing. It's data, but it doesn't mean anything beyond establishing beyond telling you where candidates might need to get work done to even have a chance.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017

Two things:

1. Where did I say she's not too old to be Speaker?

2. Leader of the free world is a different job than leader of the House. Yes, her job is important. Yes, her job is difficult. But I also don't want the weight of the Executive branch on her shoulders.

Edit: Basically this:

How does that not make any sense?

Congress has a constant stream of recesses and House leader/Senate leader isn't the executive of the most powerful country in the world.

Being POTUS is orders of magnitude more stressful and debilitating to ones health.

Deleted member 8561

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

How does that not make any sense?

Congress has a constant stream of recesses and House leader/Senate leader isn't the executive of the most powerful country in the world.

Being POTUS is orders of magnitude more stressful and debilitating to ones health.

Clipjoint

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just going to share this to dispel the rumors that Bernie didn't rally for Hillary and that his voters didn't support her:

kambaybolongo

Oct 25, 2017
The stress of the Presidency is enormous, requires you to be available 24/7 and be able to make decisions that will kill people at a moment's notice. The logic makes perfect sense if you're aware of how much of a strain that position actually is if you're not a dementia ridden blob who watches Fox News all day.
The stress of the Speaker is also enourmous and arguably more important in certain areas. If you don't think an 80 year old is capable of being president it makes 0 logical sense to think they'd be capable of being Speaker.

The presidency is what you make if it, you can be extremely hands on like Obama or barely ever working like Trump. Bernie would obviously be more hands on and considering how well he fared with the stress of campaigning he would be up to the task.

This whole "he's too old" argument is complete nonsense. Even if you think he's going to die in office, that's what the VP is for.

Clipjoint

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And by the way - the 2008 primary between Hillary and Obama was much, much uglier than the 2016 primary between Hillary and Bernie. The racist shit Hillary's campaign threw at Obama was 1,000x worse than anything Bernie ever hit her with.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
You don't think Bernie Bros are being overrepresented?

They are. I just don't like it when the destruction they caused in Bernie's name is characterised as being minor or supported by Bernie's campaign. There have been charges that Hillary's did the same, but I've never seen reports that go that far.

Using the internet as a barometer for anything is a good way to have your expectations crushed for just how many people there are who think exactly like you.

Bernie Bros were a small, insignificant group of people who were amplified by the nature of the internet.

And they were Russian bots/trolls.

This isn't about strictly the internet, it's about a group of people who disrupted the Nevada convention with violence and issued death threats. This fact often gets overlooked by Bernie supporters when Bernie Bros are bought up, this is the main reason Bernie Bros are poison in the party. They were not a group to be dismissed lightly, they did a lot of damage in Bernie's name which Bernie himself failed to condemn in like a leader should.

The Russians definitely could have used them to sow discord.

Deleted member 8561

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The stress of the Speaker is also enourmous and arguably more important in certain areas. If you don't think an 80 year old is capable of being president it makes 0 logical sense to think they'd be capable of being Speaker.

The presidency is what you make if it, you can be extremely hands on like Obama or barely ever working like Trump. Bernie would obviously be more hands on and considering how well he fared with the stress of campaigning he would be up to the task.

This whole "he's too old" argument is complete nonsense. Even if you think he's going to die in office, that's what the VP is for.

giphy.gif

TerminusFox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

LOL.

You actually said that with a straight face

Deleted member 8561

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This isn't about strictly the internet, it's about a group of people who disrupted the Nevada convention with violence and issued death threats. This fact often gets overlooked by Bernie supporters when Bernie Bros are bought up, this is the main reason Bernie Bros are poison in the party. They were not a group to be dismissed lightly, they did a lot of damage in Bernie's name which Bernie himself failed to condemn in like a leader should.

The Russians definitely could have used them to sow discord.

They did use them to sow discord, that's documented.

And yea stupid shit went down with Sanders supporters in 2016 that even I've forgotten about, but honestly I don't really care because I'm way, way past the 2016 primary in terms of that shit and if I want to criticize Sanders there are way more prudent topics to discuss.

Oct 26, 2017

With most candidates, you vote knowing there's an extremely slim chance that you're also voting for a Vice President who may have to take over their job.

With a candidate pushing (or already over) 80, you're voting based on the likelihood that their Vice President will probably have to take over for them at some point.

I don't want to vote for a President who's living on borrowed time.

Deleted member 8561

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
With most candidates, you vote knowing there's an extremely slim chance that you're also voting for a Vice President who may have to take over their jobs. With a candidate pushing (or already over) 80, you're voting based on the likelihood that their Vice President will probably have to take over for them at some point.

I don't want to vote for a President who's living on borrowed time.

Mortality rates drastically increase once you get into your 80's, especially for men when compared to women.

Having the caveat that your candidate might actually die of natural causes during his term is bad. Having a POTUS die during a first term is super bad.

So if the age topic is actually an issue (and it is for me), and lets just say I'm 100% with Sanders policy wise. I would much rather vote for someone who is 90% of Sanders policy and is nearly a decade younger.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
They did use them to sow discord, that's documented.

And yea stupid shit went down with Sanders supporters in 2016 that even I've forgotten about, but honestly I don't really care because I'm way, way past the 2016 primary in terms of that shit and if I want to criticize Sanders there are way more prudent topics to discuss.

I'm not forgetting that since Bernie provided an environment to thrive by radicalising his base, he refused to condemn them as a leader should have and I do not want to see this happen ever again in a primary. This may not affect you because you're on Bernie's side, but it affects every other candidate and the DNC itself. It's crucial he not repeat this mistake.

She does know a lot about low effort campaigning.

So you agree with her assessment of Bernie.

y2dvd

Nov 14, 2017
What disappoints me is that Bernie's career hasn't been defined by these kind of moments, instead he's let his demons ruin his reputation.

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/09/08/bernie-backers-attacks-infuriate-democrats-242386

https://www.vox.com/2016/5/17/11680904/bernie-sanders-nevada-convention

https://www.politico.com/story/2016/04/sanders-clinton-not-qualified-to-be-president-221666

Between those two I can see Harris doing the legwork Hillary did to get who she is. Warren's been trying for ages, but hasn't bene able to get the same success rate but I'd give her more credibility for trying to accomplish those strategies than Bernie. He never got how the "game" worked.

You keep letting his supporters speak for himself. You have fringed supporters on all sides.

Anyways donated $27 and am doing a reoccurring monthly donation. This PoC is on the train.

Status
Not open for further replies.