• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

chadskin

Oct 27, 2017
Biden has been pretty solid on LGBTQ Rights. He was signaling support for Gay marriage while Obama was still evolving his views. Was this event skip a calculated move? lets be real here a Democrat is winning California no matter what. Being at other events is not going to Harm Biden and its not an event that's going to win him Conservative votes so its not all politics.
Obama didn't really evolve, he just did the politically smart, or cynical, thing to win the South Carolina primary in '08

Barack Obama misled Americans for his own political benefit when he claimed in the 2008 election to oppose same sex marriage for religious reasons, his former political strategist David Axelrod writes in a new book, Believer: My Forty Years in Politics.

"I'm just not very good at bullshitting," Obama told Axelrod, after an event where he stated his opposition to same-sex marriage, according to the book.

Axelrod writes that he knew Obama was in favor of same-sex marriages during the first presidential campaign, even as Obama publicly said he only supported civil unions, not full marriages. Axelrod also admits to counseling Obama to conceal that position for political reasons. "Opposition to gay marriage was particularly strong in the black church, and as he ran for higher office, he grudgingly accepted the counsel of more pragmatic folks like me, and modified his position to support civil unions rather than marriage, which he would term a 'sacred union,' " Axelrod writes.
http://time.com/3702584/gay-marriage-axelrod-obama/

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly who cares if he wasnt at the convention? Isnt this the establishment that people dont care about anyway?

I feel like if you were to reverse Bernie with Biden the responses would look much different.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly who cares if he wasnt at the convention? Isnt this the establishment that people dont care about anyway?

I feel like if you were to reverse Bernie with Biden the responses would look much different.
It would.

Moreover, I don't know why Warren's name is getting dragged into this. She tagged him, fairly, on shit he said about how Republicans will magically want to govern with reason once Trump is gone, not his absence

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
Fair point, but I still wish, in general, that they'd spend less time in CA. You are right, though.

I feel like a lot of people in this thread aren't understanding. Unless it's for fundraisers, Democratic presedential candidates don't spend a lot of time in California during the general election because it's historical a lock for the Democrat.

During a primary, if you want to win, you absolutely need to be campaigning in California (and arguably any other state in the US that has earlier primaries, whether the state is liberal or conservative). What these candidates are doing showing up in California is vying for votes and delegates during the primary...each state has a certain number of delegates and California has a large amount. if they have enough delegates they win and get to go to the general.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Warren was DoA with her DNA bullshit.

Bernie? LOL

Harris might still have a chance, we'll see.

Beto? WTF ever happened to that guy?

Beto ended up having lower favorables than Harris. Harris still has room between people who don't know her name and people who have no opinion on her to have the highest approval atm. Bernie and Biden have near 100% name rec with a very tiny amount of no opinion in their approval numbers while Biden wins the "second choice" vote by massive margins. If I had to guess this far out, the dem nominee will be Buttigieg, Biden, or Harris.

joe biden attending an lgbt event doesn't suddenly make him not suck ass

Tell me, where was this stated?

spx54

Mar 21, 2019
he could have easily went to both

he just doesn't have a lot of energy clearly and thinks he probably has the nomination in the bag. doesn't feel the need to meet with grassroots activists and delegates

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They should shut up about where Biden is and tell the crowd why THEY should be president. All they managed to do by speaking out against Biden was look stupid.
Nope. They should do both. And they should go in hard on Biden. I'm not going to change my mind, he needs to be out of the race asap.

Just checking if said LGBTQ event attendance had tipped the scales other way!
carlo-allegri-donald-trump-lgbt-flag-2016-presidential-election.jpg

kennyamr

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY, USA
A different angle:
Looks like Biden has been trying to avoid direct contact with other candidates.
He'd skip the debates if he could, I bet.
Just a thought.

OP
OP

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
he could have easily went to both

he just doesn't have a lot of energy clearly and thinks he probably has the nomination in the bag. doesn't feel the need to meet with grassroots activists and delegates

I remember this excuse made by republicans about Hillary. Now it's liberals using it on their own

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
call me a cynic but this looks like Biden ducked a venue he knew he wasn't gonna be welcomed at and shielded incoming criticism with an LGBTQ venue

but well played I guess
That was my take as well, but to be fair I'm mid-way through binging the final season of Veep, so it's hard not to be a bit cynical.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
It's nice he was out for a good cause.

But time spent in Ohio is such a waste. I get trying to win back the "white working class" (barf), but pick a state that isn't literal ass for Democrats.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
"We're not gonna beat Trump unless we tear each other apart!"
It's this shit that bothers me and is why I like Beto/Harris.

Do Bernie and Warren want to focus on making dumb snipes in the hope that Biden voters will care? Or in the case of this, to look foolish? Focus on your own campaign for fucks sake.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A different angle:
Looks like Biden has been trying to avoid direct contact with other candidates.
He'd skip the debates if he could, I bet.
Just a thought.

If you think he's trying to avoid being on stage at a convention that next to no one will think about and without having to really interact with other candidates at that convention, well, I think you're just believing what you want to.

Make no mistake, though, I do think Biden would prefer if the election were held today and all this campaigning stuff was skipped, I just don't think there was that much calculus in skipping this event. I also think that if Bernie skipped this event you'd have people lining up saying he was sticking it to the establishment.

It's this shit that bothers me and is why I like Beto/Harris.

Do Bernie and Warren want to focus on making dumb snipes in the hope that Biden voters will care? Or in the case of this, to look foolish? Focus on your own campaign for fucks sake.

If anything, Bernie voters love Biden so Bernie sniping Biden like this for something negligible is more likely to cause his voters defect to Biden (I doubt something like this makes a significant difference either way).

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Fucking hell, dems are gonna rip each other to shreds in 2020. Trump will hardly need to campaign.