• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
tommy7154

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like that Mandela quote he used. "It always seems impossible until it is done". Sums things up well.

We'll always be told we can't have better things until we fight for it and do.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
Jesus Christ I never said he doesn't support issues regarding minorities or some closet bigot, I've already laid out in specific detail what my issues are and existential concern with what he represents is, talked to people in this thread who as his supports outright confirm my issues with the message he brought forward. Not going to keep repeating the same shit.

That wasn't my argument either. I'm talking about what you're talking about. The notion that he sees economic equity as the only means of dealing with racism is false. Admittedly, he placed a greater focus on economic inequality in 2016, but during this cycle, he empathises the need to address racial inequality much more strongly at every rally and fully understands how the issue is intersectional, as he's demonstrating as we speak.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That wasn't my argument either. I'm talking about what you're talking about. The notion that he sees economic equity as the only means of dealing with racism is false. Admittedly, he placed a greater focus on economic inequality in 2016, but during this cycle, he empathises the need to address racial inequality much more strongly and fully understands how the issue is intersectional, as he's demonstrating as we speak.
I think you're exactly right. Bernie really is running a different campaign from 2016. He most certainly is more intersectional in this new campaign. Truly intersectional; unlike some other candidates.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Jesus Christ I never said he doesn't support issues regarding minorities or some closet bigot, I've already laid out in specific detail what my issues are and existential concern with what he represents is, talked to people in this thread who as his supports outright confirm my issues with the message he brought forward. Not going to keep repeating the same shit.
No, you got called out for drawing a false dichotomy between economic inequality and identity politics. There is no conflict, the two can (and should, and have to) coexist in a progressive agenda that is going to make meaningful change. The problem with candidates in the race not named Sanders or Warren is that they don't support making substantive and necessary changes that our system desperately needs.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I never talked about people voting in the General Election, that's not at all what I'm talking about.

I'm discussing what Sanders message represents and how it resonates to specific type of people and their view on politics.

But doesn't Elizabeth Warren have the whitest base by far? So should this board not be supporting her as well? Sorry but not basing my vote on how some one else interprets a politicians message.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Jobs guarantee pixie dust is really the only thing I dislike here. Asserting full employment as a kind of social mandate opposes where we're going.

Can we improve our society through work projects? Yes. But we gotta get the fuck off this "we all need jobs or else" imposition. It was about the only thing I think he got hit hard on in the debates and doesn't really have an argument against it.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But doesn't Elizabeth Warren have the whitest base by far? So should this board not be supporting her as well? Sorry but not basing my vote on how some one else interprets a politicians message.
We know what it is. It's like the people who "really care" about future generations, but they really don't like the candidate that young people universally like.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No, I'm equating neoliberalism with YOU. You are the one trying to equate neoliberalism to identity politics. Identity politics are an extremely important part of any progressive agenda...including Sanders' agenda.

So I'm a neoliberal because I don't support Sanders? lol

This has really gone on long enough. This was about his growth in support in 2016, which was because he represented what Democrats used to be in respect to Economic Inequality vs. Identity Politics. That's why he gained such a major political spotlight in the face of being the sole voice against Clinton, because he represented a voice to people who felt "abandoned" by the establishment.

What "the establishment" means, I take issue with because you need to talk about how "the establishment" came to be, which was a direct result of the political realignment that happened post-Civl Rights. I take issue with the ramifications of Economic Popularism in the face of people arguing that Identity Politics has gone "far enough".

That wasn't my argument either. I'm talking about what you're talking about. The notion that he sees economic equity as the only means of dealing with racism is false. Admittedly, he placed a greater focus on economic inequality in 2016, but during this cycle, he empathises the need to address racial inequality much more strongly and fully understands how the issue is intersectional, as he's demonstrating as we speak.

Yea, and this entire conversation was about 2016. I said this like five pages ago.

That doesn't mean Sanders is some closet GOP spy or something, my point is his political view is 100% steeped in pure economic class, and he constantly drags other issues into the umbrella simply because that's his wheel house. He's not a bigot or someone who "fakes" progressive ideals, but in terms of where his priorities are and what his supporters represent and say about social issues vs. economic issues, there is a clear pattern that economic > social priority.

Now, to his credit he has attempted to try and have some type of intersectional arguments in tying in social issues with his message of economic identity, but in regards to everything else the point still stands on where his message was popular, and why it was.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017
No, it's not real. The picture of Bernie is from some podcast and then people started photoshopping it as a facecam for games when his Twitch account got made.
519911501423837184.png

Troast

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
We are using bets now? Jesus fucking Christ. The primary is literally a game now to you. This is why shit can't get done. People too worried about polls and shit

Betting is a great way to gaugue probablitiy of winning the nom. These odds are averaged from 10 different bookmakers who have markets on the democratic nom.

Its not a very outlandish statement. On the balance of probabilities, Warren has 5 times more chance of being the nom.

Deleted member 8561

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

People can support whoever they want, where are you getting this idea that I'm policing who people should support? Why would I give a crap about how you're not voting based on my view of a candidate?

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I'm a neoliberal because I don't support Sanders? lol

This has really gone on long enough. This was about his growth in support in 2016, which was because he represented what Democrats used to be in respect to Economic Inequality vs. Identity Politics. That's why he gained such a major political spotlight in the face of being the soul voice against Clinton, because he represented a voice to people who felt "abandoned" by the establishment.

What "the establishment" means, I take issue with because you need to talk about how "the establishment" came to be, which was a direct result of the political realignment that happened post-Civl Rights. I take issue with the ramifications of Economic Popularism in the face of people arguing that Identity Politics has gone "far enough".

Yea, and this entire conversation was about 2016. I said this like five pages ago.
No, you are a neoliberal based on the posts you make on this board all the time. This thread doesn't exist in a vacuum. You don't have to support Sanders (hell, I'm going to vote for Warren instead of him in the primary), but you shouldn't lie about his record, policies, or message either. Bernie does not make the argument that "identity politics have gone to far" as a candidate he has embraced identity politics as part of a broad progressive agenda.

Midnight Jon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
don't 👏 call 👏 me 👏 neoliberal 👏 unless 👏 i've 👏 expressed 👏 support 👏 for 👏 systematically 👏 moving 👏 power 👏 from 👏 the 👏 public 👏 to 👏 the 👏 private 👏 sector

(inserting that many emojis is exhausting. why do people do that)

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
Yea, and this entire conversation

I mean, if your argument is that you don't support him because of how he ran his 2016 campaign, that's your prerogative, but regardless of how he articulated his policies back then, it doesn't change the fact that his universal policies would disproportionately help people of color, and that was true in 2016 as well.

And if you're not supporting candidates regardless of how they've evolved on articulating their positions, then I'm afraid there's no candidate who would objectively meet such a criteria.

Holy shit!

fierygunrob

One Winged Slayer
Jan 16, 2018
I second that. He has a way better chance of winning than Biden.

But he needs a majority in the congress and senate to implement his plans. And it will take decades to repair the damage caused since the Reagan years.
There actually seems to be a fair amount he could get done without Congress, including lowering prescription drug prices and forgiving almost all student loan debt. There's plenty on that here, it seems well researched: https://prospect.org/day-one-agenda

Deleted member 8561

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No, you are a neoliberal based on the posts you make on this board all the time. This thread doesn't exist in a vacuum. You don't have to support Sanders (hell, I'm going to vote for Warren instead of him in the primary), but you shouldn't lie about his record, policies, or message either. Bernie does not make the argument that "identity politics have gone to far" as a candidate he has embraced identity politics as part of a broad progressive agenda.

Ahhh yes, I'm neoliberal for supporting the nationalization of our energy infrastructure, mass ban on semi-automatic weapons, at least a public option for healthcare, decriminalization on drugs, end of private prisons, public colleges being free, removing student debt for those who have no means to realistically pay it off...

Or do you have some examples you wanna bring up? I would love to see them!

Ortix

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ahhh yes, I'm neoliberal for supporting the nationalization of our energy infrastructure, mass ban on semi-automatic weapons, at least a public option for healthcare, decriminalization on drugs, end of private prisons, public colleges being free, removing student debt for those who have no means to realistically pay it off...

If you don't agree with them on everything, you're neoliberal. It's not that hard to understand.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Dude can we just have a positive thread for post-heart attack bernie?

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just ignore them, They're going to make it so they're the #1 poster in this thread and the conversation is about them rather than Bernie like he wants. They don't want us talking about the rally so they will shit up the thread until anyone who wants to post can't because they will make sure they will zero in and mock anyone who posts here. Ignore the troll and let them run back to Poli Era where they are declaring that Omar is apparently needs to be primaried by a white women for disagreeing with them.

fierygunrob

One Winged Slayer
Jan 16, 2018
Betting is a great way to gaugue probablitiy of winning the nom. These odds are averaged from 10 different bookmakers who have markets on the democratic nom.

Its not a very outlandish statement. On the balance of probabilities, Warren has 5 times more chance of being the nom.
What did these odds look like for Trump vs Clinton, or in other primaries? Is this actually a good barometer?

Deleted member 8561

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean, if your argument is that you don't support him because of how he ran his 2016 campaign, that's your prerogative, but regardless of how he articulated his policies back then, it doesn't change the fact that his universal policies would disproportionately help people of color, and that was true in 2016 as well.

And if you're not supporting candidates regardless of how they've evolved on articulating their positions, then I'm afraid there's no candidate who would objectively meet such a criteria.

The argument wasn't even about why I didn't support him, the discussion was why he became so popular and what his message was. I had no intentions of bringing back some type of sudo-2016 primary fight until someone felt like they needed to bring voter counts into this, and it just spiraled out of control from there. But if people wanna give outright examples of the fears I had with his populist message in the thread, or call me a neoliberal? Then shit, I'm game.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
The argument wasn't even about why I didn't support him, the discussion was why he became so popular and what his message was. I had no intentions of bringing back some type of sudo-2016 primary fight until someone felt like they needed to bring voter counts into this, and it just spiraled out of control from there. But if people wanna give outright examples of the fears I had with his populist message in the thread, or call me a neoliberal then shit, I'm game.

Thanks for the clarification.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
A correction. Sanders does not like identity politic, like aoc. The reason isnt that they dontbsupport minority based policy but because they do. What they dont support is identity in a vacuum to deflect from substantive minority policy. No 'here is black person who screws over black poor people yay identity' nonsense

Ortix

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (3 days): metacommentary, community whining
Just ignore them, They're going to make it so they're the #1 poster in this thread and the conversation is about them rather than Bernie like he wants. They don't want us talking about the rally so they will shit up the thread until anyone who wants to post can't because they will make sure they will zero in and mock anyone who posts here. Ignore the troll and let them run back to Poli Era where they are declaring that Omar is apparently needs to be primaried by a white women for disagreeing with them.

So are you just making stuff up or do you have receipts for that hilariously nonsensical claim?

Midnight Jon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
mark of an extremely good poster: repeatedly generalizing entire communities based on a single post by one poster (who in this case literally lives in that district) while complaining that they're the ones making OT unreadable

So are you just making stuff up or do you have receipts for that hilariously nonsensical claim?
the claim appears to be facially true but, uh, not at literally any level beyond the surface

OP
OP
tommy7154

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good way to end it asking if we are willing to fight for each other. If we fight for each other, we have the power in numbers to change this country and make it a better place for everyone.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

That's great that you suspport those things, so do I. And as someone who supports those policies, Sanders is such a threat to you because...?

Deleted member 2426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
proportionally that's probably actually Buttigieg

(she's definitely getting propped up by white voters in the horserace polling but that's more a factor of Biden still polling at 40% with black voters than any particular unpopularity with POC)

I guess the problem here is: will she be popular enough to draw in voters during the generals? That's ultimately the question since the election will be again set by turnout and not by convincing the "middle ground voters"...I feel she (Warren) has even less enthusiasm behind her than even Hillary :/ (I wouldn't say Bernie has more either, his time was definitely 2016).

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 days): metacommentary, community whining
mark of an extremely good poster: repeatedly generalizing entire communities based on a single post by one poster (who in this case literally lives in that district) while complaining that they're the ones making OT unreadable

I don't post in PoliEra,

Omar is beginning to strike me as someone that is too arrogant to have the ability to be self reflective. Too many of her problems are self inflicted and she isn't showing the ability to learn from her mistakes. I think this is a good opportunity to remind ourselves that running for Congress, and being a good/effective Congressman are not the same thing. If I lived in her district I would have worries about her ability to effectively represent the needs of the District.

I was really happy when she got elected, but if Margaret Anderson Kelliher ever challenged her, I wouldn't be mad.

Then again I also generally don't think primary challenges are a bad thing even when I like the incumbent. If Omar couldn't make the case she's a better incumbent than any challenger would be, that's on her.

I'm also just partial to Omar because the right-wing smears around here are just horrendous.