• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you want open spoilers for new chapters in this thread?

• No. Always use spoiler tags for significant revelations.

Votes: 33 35.5%
  • Open spoilers only after a new volume has released.

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Open spoilers only after a new chapter is officially available.

Votes: 15 16.1%
  • Open spoilers one week after the chapter is officially available.

Votes: 8 8.6%
  • Open spoilers whenever a new chapter is available in any capacity.

Votes: 20 21.5%
  • Open spoilers one week after the chapter is available in any capacity.

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • Thor: The Dark World

Votes: 11 11.8%

• Total voters

Gaming_Groove

Apr 4, 2018
I know people are being subversive in the "Anime Betrayal" thread when they mention Guts leaving the band of the hawk as a betrayal, but it did get me thinking back to the Golden Age Arc and Griffith's character arc. I'm partway through Volume 29 now, so I'm sure there is more development for Griffith's character ahead, but I kind of just want to talk about how beautifully flawed and human he is (or was, at least) as a character.

In the Volume 6 chapter "Precious Thing", Griffith talks to Charlotte at length about dreams and ambition, going so far as to say that he could only ever define someone as a friend if they pursue their own dreams and are his "equal." However, when he's actually confronted with the reality of someone close to him wanting to leave to find and pursue their own ambition, he falls apart. Now it's entirely possible he was being duplicitous in his conversation with Charlotte, but based on the way he talks about his ambition throughout the arc I doubt that's the case. I think Griffith actually believed his definition of a true friend in his mind from a logical/theoretical perspective because he had never grown truly close with anyone up until that point. He had an idealized version of friendship that didn't actually match up with reality. This is such a human thing...we experience this in our own lives with personal relationships and romance, shifting political beliefs, religion, etc.

His subsequent breakdown is in that respect really understandable, though his actions are not really justified and are completely unhealthy and self-destructive...fucking the daughter of a monarch on the rebound was obviously a bad move to say the least.

Oct 25, 2017
I know people are being subversive in the "Anime Betrayal" thread when they mention Guts leaving the band of the hawk as a betrayal, but it did get me thinking back to the Golden Age Arc and Griffith's character arc. I'm partway through Volume 29 now, so I'm sure there is more development for Griffith's character ahead, but I kind of just want to talk about how beautifully flawed and human he is (or was, at least) as a character.

In the Volume 6 chapter "Precious Thing", Griffith talks to Charlotte at length about dreams and ambition, going so far as to say that he could only ever define someone as a friend if they pursue their own dreams and are his "equal." However, when he's actually confronted with the reality of someone close to him wanting to leave to find and pursue their own ambition, he falls apart. Now it's entirely possible he was being duplicitous in his conversation with Charlotte, but based on the way he talks about his ambition throughout the arc I doubt that's the case. I think Griffith actually believed his definition of a true friend in his mind from a logical/theoretical perspective because he had never grown truly close with anyone up until that point. He had an idealized version of friendship that didn't actually match up with reality. This is such a human thing...we experience this in our own lives with personal relationships and romance, shifting political beliefs, religion, etc.

His subsequent breakdown is in that respect really understandable, though his actions are not really justified and are completely unhealthy and self-destructive...fucking the daughter of a monarch on the rebound was obviously a bad move to say the least.
My read with Griffith is that he's a flawed human put in a position of power. He hides behind grandiose ideals and speeches and has the weight of a situation that he can't realistically deal with on his shoulders. He hides his emotions and when confronted with said emotions he's ill equipped to handle them and just snaps. He wants to be King and acts like a King, but in a lot of ways he's incapable of being King. He's not a perfect person, but a lot of the people that deal with him honestly don't even know enough about him to make these distinctions. The only one that has a good read on him is Casca and Griffith adores his friendship with Guts and when he lost that he didn't know how to handle it. I think Griffith is more complex than people want to think he is and I do think Guts betrayed him from the perspective of Griffith.

The_hypocrite

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Flyover State
My read with Griffith is that he's a flawed human put in a position of power. He hides behind grandiose ideals and speeches and has the weight of a situation that he can't realistically deal with on his shoulders. He hides his emotions and when confronted with said emotions he's ill equipped to handle them and just snaps. He wants to be King and acts like a King, but in a lot of ways he's incapable of being King. He's not a perfect person, but a lot of the people that deal with him honestly don't even know enough about him to make these distinctions. The only one that has a good read on him is Casca and Griffith adores his friendship with Guts and when he lost that he didn't know how to handle it. I think Griffith is more complex than people want to think he is and I do think Guts betrayed him from the perspective of Griffith.
Griffith betrayed himself and sold out his friends. Guts didn't betrayed him when he reclaimed his independence using the means and .ethods by which it was originally lost. The issue is that he lacked the emotional maturity to deal with it.

Oct 25, 2017
Griffith betrayed himself and sold out his friends. Guts didn't betrayed him when he reclaimed his independence using the means and .ethods by which it was originally lost. The issue is that he lacked the emotional maturity to deal with it.
Yes Griffith is a very emotionally immature person, that's why he can't handle emotional situations in any kind of non destructive fashion.

Deleted member 9932

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's easy to like the movies in hindsight considering what came next.
They are more enjoyable cause what came next is unwatchable, but as an adaptation I would say the movies are a worse recollection of the events and characters of the berserk manga.

But I didnt even noticed that hashtag. #notanothergoldenagearc, and he then doubles down saying "flashbacks for context". Kill this shit with fire asap lol

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
I'd been spoiled on some stuff from the Eclipse from the anime, but nevertheless: Volumes 12 and 13. No words necessary, I guess.

Some of the stuff also reminded me of one of my favorite bits of the Aeneid:

dine hunc ardorem mentibus addunt...an sua cuique deus fit dira cupido?

"Do the gods add this burning to our minds... or does each man's own dreadful desire become his god?"

Grudy

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
It was really neat. Hopefully they won't go into the golden age and skip right to Lost Children, or a bit before it.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Happy New Years from Kentaro Miura

uh7r5nnz53921.jpg

Source: http://www.facebook.com/Prime1Studio/photos/a.526630254050288/2104248176288480/?type=3&theater

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Thinking a bit harder about this scene that would have to be hugely uncomfortable just resting the Dragon Slayer across your own legs, even while armored, with the edge side down. Just the weight of it alone would be insane over an extended period of time.
Someone needs to make my man a custom sheath. But yeah, just the weight alone lol.

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly just find the time to watch other stuff to not feel the HxH and Berserk hiatuses as much. Currently just dealing with Baki the Grappler and Made in Abyss.