• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you want open spoilers for new chapters in this thread?

• No. Always use spoiler tags for significant revelations.

Votes: 33 35.5%
  • Open spoilers only after a new volume has released.

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Open spoilers only after a new chapter is officially available.

Votes: 15 16.1%
  • Open spoilers one week after the chapter is officially available.

Votes: 8 8.6%
  • Open spoilers whenever a new chapter is available in any capacity.

Votes: 20 21.5%
  • Open spoilers one week after the chapter is available in any capacity.

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • Thor: The Dark World

Votes: 11 11.8%

• Total voters
Oct 29, 2017
Australia
With what we now know regarding the Moonlight Boy from chapter 358, I went back and looked at every time he's showed up.

I'm not sure if I just now noticed this detail or just forgot about it, but it's really interesting how when he appeared before Guts in chapter 242 on the beach, he had no legs and his hair just looked like a generic flame.

Skip over to chapter 327 when Guts was trapped in the Sea God and he appeared much more defined. He had legs, his hands looked more developed and his hair was similar to Griffith's.

Chapter 242:

0fVraSQl.jpg

Chapter 327:

mXorwXol.jpg

So what does that mean? Well, the question was never really if the Moonlight Boy was Guts and Casca's son (that was pretty obvious). The question was more how does he operate? Like is he a completely separate being or does he literally transform from Griffith during a full moon?

Now that we finally know he transforms, I feel like him looking different in chapter 242 and chapter 327 was a subtle clue that Miura dropped on us.

When he looked more like Griffith, perhaps he was slowly beginning to turn back into Griffith, or maybe Miura was subtly telling us that at that time Griffith was simply gaining a little more control over the shared body.

Which brings me to my final observation. Griffith and the Moonlight Boy are a parallel to Guts and the Beast of Darkness. There is good inside the evil, and evil inside the good. The human inside the demigod. The beast inside the man.

The Moonlight Boy, originally a human being conceived by Guts and Casca, inhabits the body of a demigod as an agent of light.

The Beast of Darkness, an astral manifestation of fear and anger, rests inside the body of a human as an agent of darkness.

It's yin and yang. They are opposites in every sense of the word. The symbolism Miura uses will never not impress me. It's brilliant!

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, I had Volumes 24-29 turn up in the post today. Right in the middle of the Falcon of the Millennium Empire arc. I can see why loads of people cite this as their favourite arc, whew.

BossGuts

Oct 28, 2017
The Millennium Falcon arc climax is really good yeah. The buildup that Miura does throughout that arc is stellar with the slow buildup of the more magical history of Berserk to it's absolute peak.

How would you guys rank the arcs of the series? I love Berserk as a whole but as someone who is on his 6th full re-read, I would rank them as such.

Conviction > Golden Age > Millennium Falcon > Black Swordsman

I don't wanna stick Fantasia in here until it's done. Despite a kind of rocky start ( I did like the lovecraftian horror with the seagod here, but REALLY could of done without more Bonebeard, he was annoying enough in Vrtiannis) the stuff in Elfhelm has been 10/10 excellent.

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
The Millennium Falcon arc climax is really good yeah. The buildup that Miura does throughout that arc is stellar with the slow buildup of the more magical history of Berserk to it's absolute peak.

How would you guys rank the arcs of the series? I love Berserk as a whole but as someone who is on his 6th full re-read, I would rank them as such.

Conviction > Golden Age > Millennium Falcon > Black Swordsman

I don't wanna stick Fantasia in here until it's done. Despite a kind of rocky start ( I did like the lovecraftian horror with the seagod here, but REALLY could of done without more Bonebeard, he was annoying enough in Vrtiannis) the stuff in Elfhelm has been 10/10 excellent.

1. Conviction Arc (10/10)
2. Falcon of the Millennium Empire Arc (10/10)
3. Golden Age Arc (10/10)
4. Black Swordsman Arc (9.5/10)

All of the arcs are fantastic, but despite me not being the biggest fan of the Lost Children part, the Conviction Arc is still my favourite. It's such a masterpiece.

You're right when you say that the Fantasia Arc started out a little rough - but recently it's been extremely good, and with what's coming up it's only going to get better. I can see it potentially going into the number 2 spot once it's finished.

BossGuts

Oct 28, 2017
1. Conviction Arc (10/10)
2. Falcon of the Millennium Empire Arc (10/10)
3. Golden Age Arc (10/10)
4. Black Swordsman Arc (9.5/10)

All of the arcs are fantastic, but despite me not being the biggest fan of the Lost Children part, the Conviction Arc is still my favourite. It's such a masterpiece.

You're right when you say that the Fantasia Arc started out a little rough - but recently it's been extremely good, and with what's coming up it's only going to get better. I can see it potentially going into the number 2 spot once it's finished.

Oh that's interesting. I really love the Lost Children chapters. I think it was a really good segment of reminding readers of what Black Swordsman Guts was like after the Eclipse whilst Miura obviously uses the context of the Eclipse now to make Guts revenge quest a lot more sad and that he's not completely far gone.

He does this almost entirely visually too. My favourite part is when Guts aims his canon arm at Rosines face but then because she still has a face of an innocent child, he immediately aims down to her stomach instead.

Lost Children is where Guts does a lot of the slasher faces and evil grins, but it portrays him in a way more ''''sympathetic''''' light than Black Swordsman does because we now have the context of the Eclipse and I think Miura just writes him better here compared to the Black Swordsman arc.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The volumes I get are the Dark Horse ones. I should really think about extracting all the posters in them, some of them are beautiful.

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
Oh that's interesting. I really love the Lost Children chapters. I think it was a really good segment of reminding readers of what Black Swordsman Guts was like after the Eclipse whilst Miura obviously uses the context of the Eclipse now to make Guts revenge quest a lot more sad and that he's not completely far gone.

He does this almost entirely visually too. My favourite part is when Guts aims his canon arm at Rosines face but then because she still has a face of an innocent child, he immediately aims down to her stomach instead.

Lost Children is where Guts does a lot of the slasher faces and evil grins, but it portrays him in a way more ''''sympathetic''''' light than Black Swordsman does because we now have the context of the Eclipse and I think Miura just writes him better here compared to the Black Swordsman arc.

Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy/appreciate it, and I understand its purpose, but it's always dragged down the pacing and just felt a little too detached from the main story for me.

Grudy

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
The volumes I get are the Dark Horse ones. I should really think about extracting all the posters in them, some of them are beautiful.
I remember finding an imgur link somewhere online with all the posters in high quality scans without cuts or folds. I'll try to find it and PM it to you I do.

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
The Flame Dragon Knight novel came in the mail for me today. I don't think I'm even gonna bother unwrapping it.

It seems as if it doesn't understand what makes Berserk truly good and simply doubles down on the violence and sex to try and be as shocking and edgy as possible. I mean, just read this quote:

"His mother's dress had been torn and the soldiers thrust into her three orifices at once. She'd been punched in the face over and over and nearly all her teeth were gone."

Yeah...I think this summary is good enough for me. The best thing about the novel are all the awesome new illustrations by Miura, which you can see here (you're welcome).

If you wanna read more impressions or read a lot more terrible quotes from the novel you can check out this thread from SkullKnight.net.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure how I feel about the Deluxe Edition. it's cool but it's a little too big and heavy and the picture is blown up so there are dots everywhere.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Just finished Vol. 32. This has to come close to the record for most double-page spreads in a single volume, right? Crazy lol.

Oct 25, 2017
I just saw the 1st season of the 2017 anime and geez is bad, but now I watched the 1st episode of season 2 and is way worse, the animation was bad, but now is worse or more cheap.., why did they downgrade the quality so much?
Eben Griffith is hard to recognise in season 2 for how bad he's modeled in 3D

Is there going to be a season 3? such a shame, the 3 "new" movies where good enough, but this is way too bad for such a good series...

Oct 25, 2017
I just saw the 1st season of the 2017 anime and geez is bad, but now I watched the 1st episode of season 2 and is way worse, the animation was bad, but now is worse or more cheap.., why did they downgrade the quality so much?
Eben Griffith is hard to recognise in season 2 for how bad he's modeled in 3D

Is there going to be a season 3? such a shame, the 3 "new" movies where good enough, but this is way too bad for such a good series...
It's dead thankfully. I always tell people not to watch it.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
I genuinely feel Berserk's last real chance is a well-made live-action TV series.

It doesn't even have to be 1:1 with the manga necessarily, just good and able to give audience good grasp on the story Berserk is trying to tell. You're never going to supplant the manga anyway so why try?

Kuroyume

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Last real chance? At what?

I never want to see a live action Berserk There's no way that would not suck.

There will be another attempt at an anime someday but it will likely be CG heavy again. Honestly, my least favorite adaptation is the 90s series. People pick on bad scenes in the recent anime acting as if it didn't look great 75-85% of the time.

Oct 25, 2017

There will be another attempt at an anime someday but it will likely be CG heavy again. Honestly, my least favorite adaptation is the 90s series. People pick on bad scenes in the recent anime acting as if it didn't look great 75-85% of the time.
A Berserk adaptation has to do more than look decent at times. Most of the problems with the show is the amount of content that got cut out of it.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017

Last chance at reaching a wider audience. Anime and TV shows in general are much more accessible to the majority of people and are much more popular than read manga.

In theory they could just try another anime buuuuut...the problem is that it just leaves audiences confused. Even nowadays when people I know that heard about Berserk but want to get into it look towards the anime, but they're confused on what anime they should exactly watch since there's 3 different series out there and none of them quite "fit" with each other even if they're adapting different parts of the manga.

Also a well-made TV show will also possibly open up for more manga readers as well, especially if the TV show does things differently enough to get people talking, "Oh I like how the manga did THIS THING better." and whatnot kind of like how the Walking Dead and Game of Thrones TV show drove the sales of their source material.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017

The whole thing was a fucking train wreck, not just the animation.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of I've recently been re-reading the MIllennium Falcon arc for like the first time ever. I've re-read parts of it but this is the first time I've actually read this in one sitting rather than in syndication.

So far I would still rank it below the other two big arcs however it's still very good regardless. There's just some parts I felt dragged way too long such as the bureaucratic parts with Farnese and the whole story at the docks. The troll story had some parts that dragged a swell but not as bad as the story on the docks.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure how mainstream America is going to handle live action Eclipse.
If they can pull everything off before the eclipse is far more important. You gotta really like these characters for the pain to hit full force.
Yeah that's pretty true. I'm just talking about the rape and all of that grotesque imagery. You cannot do this show on a low budget.
If a live action show existed, the Golden Age would be flashback only, because there's very little chance anyone would greenlight a series that kills off like 95% of the cast and still expect the audience to stay. Keeping it in present day, with flashbacks to events in the Golden Age would be a decent way to mitigate the risk.

Oct 25, 2017
If a live action show existed, the Golden Age would be flashback only, because there's very little chance anyone would greenlight a series that kills off like 95% of the cast and still expect the audience to stay. Keeping it in present day, with flashbacks to events in the Golden Age would be a decent way to mitigate the risk.
But you don't get the full effect of Griffith's "fuck you people muh dweem" betrayalton that way. I mean I get your point, but I want it all.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
Nah they need to do all of it though the show needs to intro with the Black Swordsman arc first in some way to establish Guts as this hate filled force of nature

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished season 2.., overall it was better than season 1, except the 1st episode where the animation was really bad.
They focus too much in meaningless dialog (don't remember if it's loyal to the manga, read it long time ago up to the point after the kushan king battle or something like that, they were about to get into a boat to go see the Elve king, don't remember the arc name) also there is no good action animations or scenes, such a cheap attempt, did the studio behind this made something else? :(

Btw is there another complete arc after that? and any recommendation where can i get them in UK?

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished season 2.., overall it was better than season 1, except the 1st episode where the animation was really bad.
They focus too much in meaningless dialog (don't remember if it's loyal to the manga, read it long time ago up to the point after the kushan king battle or something like that, they were about to get into a boat to go see the Elve king, don't remember the arc name) also there is no good action animations or scenes, such a cheap attempt, did the studio behind this made something else? :(

Btw is there another complete arc after that? and any recommendation where can i get them in UK?
There's plenty that happened after where the show ends. They didn't have the budget to even animate some of the good action scenes. The show really was supposed to end where Griffith rescues Charlotte, but I'm quite sure that's an action scene they didn't have the talent/budget to do.