• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you want open spoilers for new chapters in this thread?

• No. Always use spoiler tags for significant revelations.

Votes: 33 35.5%
  • Open spoilers only after a new volume has released.

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Open spoilers only after a new chapter is officially available.

Votes: 15 16.1%
  • Open spoilers one week after the chapter is officially available.

Votes: 8 8.6%
  • Open spoilers whenever a new chapter is available in any capacity.

Votes: 20 21.5%
  • Open spoilers one week after the chapter is available in any capacity.

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • Thor: The Dark World

Votes: 11 11.8%

• Total voters

Facism

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say it's more his art style continuing to evolve and this isn't exactly a place for gritty art considering it's a fantasy island full of elves, wizards and all kinds of magical creatures.

yeh we had a few episodes where he drew everything with thicker lines and a softer hand because hey it's magical fun fairy land.

And then we went into caska's mind and it was all dicks and teeth again.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Part of the problem is even HQ scans don't always do the art justice. This was especially apparent for the stuff in a Casca's mind.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
I don't mind the digital art at all, but sometimes the faces can look a little... not sure how to phrase it. Blank? Flat? Wooden?

dp1vc1b.png

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I've wondered if the slight change in art style was supposed to come with the rest of the world shaking changes that came with the death of Ganishka and the start of the Fantasia arc. With the layers merged and with fantasy becoming reality maybe the actual look of reality changed as well. Or Miura just changed it up because he wanted to.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Not sure exactly. People definitely started noticing more in the past three years. Found this thread from skullknight.

I've wondered if the slight change in art style was supposed to come with the rest of the world shaking changes that came with the death of Ganishka and the start of the Fantasia arc. With the layers merged and with fantasy becoming reality maybe the actual look of reality changed as well. Or Miura just changed it up because he wanted to.
I've seen this mentioned a lot, but I don't really buy it. It's convenient reasoning, I'll give it that.

Last edited:

ASilentProtagonist

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Man.. This was a tough read..The events of the eclipse are truly unforgettable, not just for the Guts, and Caska, but the readers as well. I cannot believe Miura wrote something of that magnitude in that time back then, nothing has touched it since.

I think it's high time we got some Skull Knight backstory, and I pray Miura shifts back to the original art style when covering it. If he decides to leave the backstory to mystery be, that's just as powerful. I find myself still theorizing, and wondering about what the hell went down between these two. This exchange, no dialogue, just pure intensity. You could just feel the history between them in this moment.

tumblr_mheofnyIiZ1rtwz0go1_1280.jpg

CA426F3C4C91364501C4EC05A5C1A9FB6F19271E
tumblr_p8fuz9dG5I1x6u4seo1_500.gif

It's so easy to fanboy over this series.. it's just so good. Tricky I Shadow

Oct 25, 2017
Man.. This was a tough read..The events of the eclipse are truly unforgettable, not just for the Guts, and Caska, but the readers as well. I cannot believe Miura wrote something of that magnitude in that time back then, nothing has touched it since.

I think it's high time we got some Skull Knight backstory, and I pray Miura shifts back to the original art style when covering it. If he decides to leave the backstory to mystery be, that's just as powerful. I find myself still theorizing, and wondering about what the hell went down between these two. This exchange, no dialogue, just pure intensity. You could just feel the history between them in this moment.

Skull Knight is very good at doing absolutely fuck all to the God Hand.

wig split

Nov 1, 2017
On the Berserk subreddit they were asserting that the transition to digital by Miura was to increase proficiency, but that doesn't seem to be the case so far. I understand that you couldn't just up and start up digitally drawing without having to learn the ins and outs so many he's getting better...

Facism

Oct 25, 2017

afaik, and i'm probably wrong, but Skully was Gaiseric and Void was the Vizier that called the eclipse with the egg of the King in his time, but that would mean a godhand being AFK since as 4 angels descended upon Gaiseric's kingdom before we assume Void became a member.

Oct 25, 2017
afaik, and i'm probably wrong, but Skully was Gaiseric and Void was the Vizier that called the eclipse with the egg of the King in his time, but that would mean a godhand being AFK since as 4 angels descended upon Gaiseric's kingdom before we assume Void became a member.
This begs the question of WTF were the previous God Hand members since I thought Void was the oldest of the current crop and if there was a previous 4 WTF happened to them?

Grudy

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
This begs the question of WTF were the previous God Hand members since I thought Void was the oldest of the current crop and if there was a previous 4 WTF happened to them?

I always wondered if Miura was only using that as a foreshadowing tool for the eclipse. A lotta people hang on this point but for some reason I wouldn't be upset if it doesn't get an explanation.

I'm really hoping we get another big 2 page spread of SK like when he appeared behind Femto. It's one my favorite spreads in any manga (until I read vagabond I guess).

Oct 25, 2017
I always wondered if Miura was only using that as a foreshadowing tool for the eclipse. A lotta people hang on this point but for some reason I wouldn't be upset if it doesn't get an explanation.

I'm really hoping we get another big 2 page spread of SK like when he appeared behind Femto. It's one my favorite spreads in any manga (until I read vagabond I guess).
I wasn't even thinking about it till I was told Void saw 4 members of the God Hand before he became Void. That whole universe probably has a ton of unanswerable questions. Granted the story would probably be quite interesting, but I think I'll live without God Hand backstories. We already have Femto's and some of Void's, wouldn't mind a peak behind what Slann was like. Conrad and Ubik probably got their rocks of playing mind games when they were people so I don't need much to figure them out.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I suspect Griffith's demon army is approaching the island. If the Skull Knight forebodes catastrophe, that's about the only one I can think of.

Deleted member 2779

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The way the pacing has been makes me think it'd be a while before the two narratives collide but it'd be the best kind of surprise if they meet sooner than later and change up the tempo of the manga again. They don't necessarily need to fight, just dip and enter the next phase - maybe even approach the final arc? Either way it's been an incredible journey and I trust we'll get something that feels complete.

Cyborg009

Oct 28, 2017
I wasn't even thinking about it till I was told Void saw 4 members of the God Hand before he became Void. That whole universe probably has a ton of unanswerable questions. Granted the story would probably be quite interesting, but I think I'll live without God Hand backstories. We already have Femto's and some of Void's, wouldn't mind a peak behind what Slann was like. Conrad and Ubik probably got their rocks of playing mind games when they were people so I don't need much to figure them out.
Wasn't it stated that the God Hand members change after a couple hundred of years or so.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
I did it, I just caught up with manga today. Started in April but I had to take a mandatory break after the umm...Eclipse.
Came back to it around June and I have been reading it as slow and as steady as I could since the announcement that it was coming back.
Currently my emotions are all over the place (Guts and Casca T_T) and I can't wait until I get to experience my first Berserk hiatus in the coming months.
tenor.gif

God what have I done. At least I'll still have you Oda.

Numb

Oct 25, 2017
I did it, I just caught up with manga today. Started in April but I had to take a mandatory break after the umm...Eclipse.
Came back to it around June and I have been reading it as slow and as steady as I could since the announcement that it was coming back.
Currently my emotions are all over the place (Guts and Casca T_T) and I can't wait until I get to experience my first Berserk hiatus in the coming months.
tenor.gif

Play idolmaster and watch the terrible CGI anime for the full Berserk fan experience

Oct 25, 2017
tenor.gif

Regardless of when you get into Berserk you're going to hit a hiatus. This will be true until probably 90 years from now when we're all dead and either Miura finished or our great grandkids get into it.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Summary of the recent interview (mangahelpers):

- Duranki is made under Miura's Studio Gaga. For the series, he is credited as writer and producer.

- For Duranki, assistants are taking care of the inking. As writer & producer, right now he makes the storyboard, sketch the draft, quality checking and final adjustments. (like "Art Director" in anime production).

- Three assistants on-site, one remote.

- For Berserk, he draws all the characters and background. Assistants are only in charge of tones, buildings, background soldiers or far-off scenery. Recently he started having them draw the ground too.

- He is usually fast with storyboarding, so he doesn't think this new series will affect Berserk production. Main bottleneck is the art, because he tries to draw everything by himself.

- He hopes to use Duranki as an opportunity to improve his assistants' skills so that he will be more comfortable offloading more of Berserk work to his assistants too. Potentially speeding up Berserk releases.

- Eventually, his goal is to only do the storyboard and final adjustments for Duranki and let his assistants do the rest.

- Duranki turned into a series when he shared one of his ideas for a new manga to his editor.

- Originally Duranki was actually a isekai time travel manga, but scrapped the isekai approach because it was too prevalent and went with straight fantasy/mythology.

- His manga production is now fully digital. Made the switch around 2015 when Rakshas revealed his true identity.

- He knows he has an unhealthy obsessed with drawing every little details. Believes it's simply because he loves the old, "Baroque Period" of manga like Akira and Fist of the North Star that had really dense and detailed art.

- Quite happy with using digital to draw. He gets to zoom into stuff and obsess over each little pixel. His editor tries to stop him whenever he goes that far.

- Never felt bored making Berserk. Always tries to do new themes. Making manga is fun.

- Berserk is currently in the later stages of its overall story. Lot of shocking things coming up after the current arc.

And a pic of his setup:

report01.jpg

More pics:

natalie.mu

ヤングアニマルZERO特集 「ドゥルアンキ」「ベルセルク」三浦建太郎インタビュー&スタジオ我画潜入レポート (4/4) - コミックナタリー 特集・インタビュー

「ドゥルアンキ」の原作&プロデュースとは?「ベルセルク」の今後は? “狂気の描き込み”を生むスタジオ我画潜入レポートも!

Last edited:

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
And a pic of his setup:

report01.jpg

More pics:

natalie.mu

ヤングアニマルZERO特集 「ドゥルアンキ」「ベルセルク」三浦建太郎インタビュー&スタジオ我画潜入レポート (4/4) - コミックナタリー 特集・インタビュー

「ドゥルアンキ」の原作&プロデュースとは?「ベルセルク」の今後は? “狂気の描き込み”を生むスタジオ我画潜入レポートも!

Who's this faun boi? Something from the new manga?

Grudy

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
That's a lot more office-y than I thought a manga artist's setup would look like lol.

Edit: Or if I understand it right, looks like he made this office to work with his assistants or something.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
Australia
It's just been confirmed that we're not getting a new chapter this month. Even though we rarely get a brand new chapter the next month after a 'To Be Continued', this time I thought we would because of the 30th anniversary. What a totally lame anniversary...

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Disappointing to hear, but somewhat expected with Duranki.

-- --

Got a copy of my favorite volume (and preordered Vol. 40).

s62Jzg5.jpg

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US

Randomly came across this. Studio Gaga is recruiting more assistants. It specifically says it's for regular Berserk assistants, by the way. I don't think there's anything else really notable in here to mention.

I thought it was interesting that it said 8 hour shifts with a possible maximum of 3 additional hours of overtime. Kinda brutal, but Japan.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Dude, there's gonna be like 100 people working on Berserk. We're gonna get so many chapters now, like, 2 every year or something nuts.

Oct 25, 2017
Berserk will finally be over two before the sun implodes into a black hole and sucks up this wretched planet and even then Hunter x Hunter will still be on hiatus.

Blade30

Oct 26, 2017

ps. this goes without saying but the trailer is gore-y.

Just saw this trailer of 'Blade of the Immortal' and I keep thinking, why didn't Berserk get the same treatment?

Liam-Neeson.gif

I know nothing about the manga nor the old anime but at least visually this look great. There isn't really anything good you can say about recent Berserk anime.