• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JK-Money

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ok, so I'm into manga...sort of. I was big into Naruto for such a long time and when that finally ended I really felt out of the loop. My friend and I got into it together, he actually suggested on a whim that I read it. It grabbed my attention when he showed me the Naruto vs Pain fight. Other than Dragon ball z it immediately grabbed me. Once it finished while the ending was sort of well......it kind of sucked with how it felt so rushed and how some bad characters just kind of appeared out of no where really. It left me with nothing in the sense that even though the ending was good, I felt as if it turned me off from manga for a while. Someone on here suggested I read Berserk, and HOLY FUCK how did I miss this for a manga. it gritty, its gory, its mature, its everything I wanted in a manga. I just started the Golden Age Arc, jesus christ after getting more back story on Guts:

How his adopted father sold him to a fellow mercenary for 3 silver coins to then be raped and not to be touched by anyone again just hit me in the feels so bad

I know I have a long way to go, but if anyone has any other good suggestions for manga which is like berserk feel free to suggest. The one thing I kind of was hoping for was a good berserk game, I looked up a few and they all look very mediocre honestly. The story is so gripping I am surprised someone hasn't been able to make a great game out of it. I'm thinking if it was done along the line of Witcher 3....sweet baby jesus that would be amazing. Do yourself a favor people and dont sleep on this manga and give it a read. the story is phenomenal but also the art is some of the best I have ever seen.
berserk_manga_by_lalykiasca-d54j12m.jpg

031.jpg

berserk-30104.jpg

berserk_guts_dragon_slayer.jpg

Sir Guts

Use of alt account
Oct 26, 2017
Welcome to the club struggler. The greatest dark fantasy you'll ever read/watch

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
vinland saga is similar i would say but it takes an interesting direction which is not at all like berserk. have you tried kingdom?

Matsukaze

Oct 25, 2017
I just started the Golden Age Arc
Buckle up, OP. You are in for one hell of a ride.

Berserk is easily my second favorite manga of all time. It's incredible, thanks to memorable characters, gorgeous art, and vivid worldbuilding.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Enjoy the ride, but take your time. The series updates notoriously slowly, so don't be in a rush to join the rest of us who wait months or years for each new chapter.

Booki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
I want to recommend Gantz, but it'd be mean to suggest something like that in a Berserk thread. It's a pretty read with some interesting setup, but it gets caught up in the fuckery sometimes.

Welcome to the Berserk club, homie.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You missed it because it was on a boat the entire time D:

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I have heard endless praise for this. I'm almost afraid to actually take a look. I have so many other things that I keep up with weekly that I don't think I can handle another addiction.

GLHFGodbless

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Welcome to the club struggler. The greatest dark fantasy you'll ever read/watch

Hah, before even scrolling down my reply was gonna be "welcome to the club"/

I highly recommended Blade of the Immortal as well. It's similar to Beserk as it is insanely violent, with phenomenal art that even surpasses Beserk, IMO. Easily one of my top 3 favorite manga.

Also give Blame! a shot. Killy is a beast.

Jack Remington

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It gets really rapey at times.

Aside from Golden Age, Conviction arc has been my favorite.

splash wave

Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area, CA
I burned out around the end of the Golden Age Arc, largely because the conclusion takes so long to wrap up (and I had already seen the initial anime). How does the rest of the series compare?

Oct 28, 2017
California
Started reading it last year thanks to Super Eyepatch Wolf, and I'm glad I did because it's now become my favorite manga ever.

Love how beautifully drawn, well-written it is, and how complex the characters are.

Also love how Nietzsche's philosophy is sprinkled in there as well.

Dufus

Nov 15, 2017
Isn't Golden Age very early on?

Anyways try not to fap to some of the later chapters.

Deleted member 2779

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I burned out around the end of the Golden Age Arc, largely because the conclusion takes so long to wrap up (and I had already seen the initial anime). How does the rest of the series compare?
Honestly, it's just getting started. Every arc following that brings major changes to Guts and it only gets better.

Deleted member 18347

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like people think Berserk recommendations are just like any other manga/anime recommendations from anime fans.

You don't have to have any interest in anime or manga to enjoy Berserk. It is without a shadow of a doubt one of the best dark fantasy works of fiction I have ever read. I just hope the author finishes it soon.

Vertpin

Oct 27, 2017
I stopped reading at volume 30. I really enjoyed it, but I knew I was getting close and haven't picked it back up in like two years. The original anime is great, the movies aren't anything great, and the 2016-2017 anime should be avoided.

belinho3

Dec 30, 2017
The last couple of days i've been thinking of rewatching the first anime series, I think this thread just sealed the deal

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You fool, now you are trapped in the endless struggle of not knowing if it will end.