• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mar-Mar

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 30, 2017
Germany
There are probably a lot of people who don't know this game, so in short: Berwick Saga is a PS2 game made by Shouzou Kaga, the creator of the Fire Emblem franchise, with his studio Tirnanog. It deviates quite a bit from Fire Emblem having a hex based grid and not using the same strictly turn based system that the Fire Emblem games use (it alternates between armies based on how many units each army has; usually you will only be able to move one unit at a time). Another big change is that units usually won't counterattack if they get hit.

Translation is done by Aethin who also translated TearRing Saga: Champions of Yutona. You can find a patch on Serenes Forest with all the necessary information here.

Some screenshots of the translated game:
bKVAPnU.png
0eqVStV.png
VykThI6.png
SID2Vn9.png
9G2w2oM.png
aiNASkq.png

Berwick Saga has become one of my favourite games of all time and I recommend it to everyone who is fond of challenging strategy rpgs. It's not brutally hard or anything, but I wouldn't recommend it as an entry title into the srpg genre. Battles can be long, but you can save every five turns so that isn't really an issue. It has a great story and pays a lot of attention to every single playable character (+more). They all have different motivations and their own interesting backstory. It also has a base kinda like the monastery in Three Houses (but without any tedium). Yeah, Kaga did it first. You'll get to know the characters through it, can go eating, shopping etc. Every character has a set of unique skills, so everyone has their use and is not interchangeable.

I hope this game garners some interest because of the fan translation. It honestly deserves it.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Game's really good. It frustrates me to no end that this is where things stopped for Kaga (outside of Vestaria Saga a decade later, which isn't even a commercial product).

Like... Make a bad game and fail, sure. Make only great games and eventually fail anyway? Fuck :(

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Second hand copies aren't too expensive either btw.

Felt like no one saw this thread.

Neoleo2143

Oct 27, 2017
Game's really good. It frustrates me to no end that this is where things stopped for Kaga (outside of Vestaria Saga a decade later, which isn't even a commercial product).

Like... Make a bad game and fail, sure. Make only great games and eventually fail anyway? Fuck :(

and then the company you left basically does all the same things you did but worse and then succeeds anyway wildly.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umm.. Interesting.

I probably should finish three houses first though. I always have a hard time finishing SRPGs

Chairman Yang

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Posting to simply express great interest in this now that the translation is done. Thanks for the heads up!

Kientin

Oct 27, 2017
Excellent! Thanks for the heads up. Got a couple of games to finish up, but then this is moving high on the priority list.

Yata

Feb 1, 2019
Spain
Always wanted to play this but I haven't even started Vestaria Saga yet. Thanks for sharing!

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Heads up the only thing I know about this game is that the music is fucking incredible!!!
Seriously I wanted this game so bad back in the day because the music was just crazy good.

Zaber

Alt account
Banned
Sep 11, 2019
This is without a doubt on my to-play-list. It looks really good and I have only heard good things.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
Nice. Now I need to import a copy. I remember in my early internet forum days that people were begging companies like Working Designs and Atlus to release this. Now it's finally available in English.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I remember briefly working on the TearRing Saga fan translation (it was open to contributions as long as you had an account on the site it was uploaded to) years and years ago as an editor. Glad to see they got the sequel done now too. Look forward to the day getting free space to fit this gem of a game in to play.

Oct 27, 2017
Nice! I still have to play Tear Ring Saga (and for that matter, Thracia 776). I should do a Kaga Emblem marathon one of these days.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
Sadly I couldn't get into Vestaria Saga because of rather shallow reasons, I just turned off by the rpg maker visuals. This however seem to have bigger production and it looks pretty interesting too.