• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Best action movie of the last decade?

• Edge of Tomorrow

Votes: 118 10.6%
  • Mad Max: Fury Road

Votes: 674 60.8%
  • Surely one of the John Wick movies

Votes: 114 10.3%
  • Perhaps one of the Mission Impossible ones

Votes: 38 3.4%
  • Hey, The Raid happened

Votes: 116 10.5%
  • Something something MCU

Votes: 25 2.3%
  • My favorite isn't one of the poll choices

Votes: 23 2.1%

• Total voters

skrskg

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
So what was the best action movie of the last decade?

For me, it's down to Edge of Tomorrow vs Fury Road. And having rewatched both recently, I have to say that Edge of Tomorrow gets my vote. It's such a great movie, it's Groundhog Day in a sci-fi setting with one of Tom Cruises best performances going head to head with one of the all-time great female action heroes portraid perfectly by Emily Blunt.

There was, of course, other action movies during the last ten years. Some really good ones, too.

But this is about the best.

Last edited:

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I'm conflicted. I love Fury Road and I suppose objectively it might be the better movie but I also really really love Edge of Tomrorow... But John Wick is also really good... Ugh. I can't decide.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
its fury road hands down

that shit is god tier and unlike anything released since the 80s

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017
i initially voted edge of tomorrow, but now im thinking its fury road only because the last act of edge of tomorrow is kind of a wet fart

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Haywire deserves a nod.

I like a lot of the ones you already listed though.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's Fury Road, but Edge of Tomorrow, the John Wicks, MI, the Raid, etc are all fantastic.

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
SafeDrearyIrishterrier-small.gif

deal with it nerds

duxstar

Oct 26, 2017
For some reason forums like this have a hard on for Fury Road, it was pretty boring , and i've rewatched it like 4 times trying to figure out what everyone loved about it; and I'm a huge action movie nerd

I voted for Edge of Tomorrow, then John Wick series, then MI

lobdale

Oct 25, 2017
Fury Road no contest

Not only the best action movie of the last decade but in the running for best movie of the last decade period

Oct 27, 2017
I voted for Fury Road but honestly Edge of Tomorrow is really underrated. Also the MI movies, The Raid 2, and the John Wick series should all get honorable mentions

Emwitus

The Fallen
Feb 28, 2018
where is Mission Impossible: fallout? Heck where are the other mission impossibles.

Mest08

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
John Wick and it's not particularly close. Only bad thing about those movies is that they call him Jonathan, so it should be Jon Wick.

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017
I love Edge of Tomorrow. Easily one of my favorite films of the decade and it's the one I always recommend to people that haven't seen it.

But the answer is clearly Fury Road.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
Fury Road might be the individual best; I still voted for Mission: Impossible as a series, which had three good to great entries during the decade, ending at a very high point with Fallout. It's no small feat in this business, to show such a level of consistency.

Not included above, I'd also say Inception; it's far from a regular action flick, but it contains all the same a remarkable number of set pieces.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Mad Max
Raid movies
MI6
Inception
John Wick trilogy
Edge of Tomorrow
MI 5

in that order for me

bill crystals

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Insulting that these movies are listed alongside Fury Road. The Raid films are a distant 2nd.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
That's a damn hard choice to make.

Edge of Tomorrow is probably the best movie of those, although I would place its action scenes behind Mad Max (and Mad Max's quieter moments are still great).

The Raid and Raid 2 have some incredible action scenes, although the movie part surrounding them is mediocre at best (at least in the case of the second movie - the first doesn't really have a story). John Wick is similar in construction as well, and I still prefer the first of those movies.

The Mission Impossibles have at least one mindblowing setpiece stunt/action scene each and some solid action in and around that. They also have some humour, which is nice (Edge of Tomorrow does too).

I'd probably go with Mad Max just because Edge of Tomorrow does not end all that strong.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
It's the RAID. That movie is pretty much perfect. It has a simple promise executed and paced perfectly.
The second movie fucks up the pacing a bit, but the action is still just as good. Maybe even the best car chase scene ever made.

Grenchel

Oct 27, 2017
i honestly never got into the Raid Hype. It's got a glutton of action scenes, but they the direction /staging can't hold a candle to a lot of the great action movies imo.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
Whilst not a shadow of the first film, The Incredibles 2 deserves a mention just for how amazingly staged its action scenes are. It's a shame that the disappointment with that sequel will see Bird's expert eye for action in that film forgotten.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I think I would have loved Edge of Tomorrow if I had not read the original story first. The lack of battle axes bigger than the characters wielding them would have been visually awesome. That and the bittersweet ending was a lot more effective.

Shrikey

Oct 27, 2017
Fury Road is by far the best movie out of all of those, no contest. Hell, Fury Road is a contender for best movie, period. It's sublime.

The Raid movies and John Wick certainly raised the bar on action direction, but neither comes anywhere close to being the full package in the way Fury Road is.

3bdelilah

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I came in ready to vote Mad Max, but the poll reminded me about the John Wick films and all three were excellent action films. Now I feel conflicted.

MickeyKnox

Oct 28, 2017
The Raids and JW have incredible action scenes and stunt work but everything outside of that is mediocre to terrible.

Fury Road is just fantastic fucking film.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
Fury Road is probably the best overall movie, just going by the action it's the Raid.

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
My opinion for best action movie of the last decade, unordered:
  • Mission Impossible 4, 5, and 6
  • Mad Max: Fury Road
  • Dredd
  • Inception
  • Captain America: Winter Solider
  • Jack Reacher
  • Fast Five
  • Baby Driver
  • The Dark Knight Rises

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
The Raid has great action but I agree it has the same problem with John Wick in that the story it's trying to tell over its action sequences just isn't as interesting as Fury Road. Edge of Tomorrow and Looper are also great picks though neither one really reaches the intensity and thrills of Fury Road, but all three are very good at using their action to strongly support the stories they're trying to tell.