• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

OSPC

Banned
Dec 18, 2019
Best: Sabotage at Soulforge (Thief 2)

sffrontshot.JPG

This is the longest and hardest level in the entire series, taking most players at least two hours to complete (if they don't rage quit in frustration). Garrett refers to it as a suicide mission in the intro cutscene, and he wasn't exaggerating. What I love about this mission is that it features some of the most creative challenges in the game, and forces the player to carefully manage and use everyone of their resources to survive. Karras is also a great antagonist and his constant rambling throughout the mission kept it feeling fresh.

Worst: Where Am I? (System Shock 2)

jpg

Where to begin with this level? It's completely unnecessary, disappointingly short, more annoying than challenging, and the final boss battle is a joke. On the bright side, the ending cutscene is absolutely hilarious, but very out of place in a horror game.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Dunno about best final level, but Icon of Sin in Doom 2 is one of the worst levels I have ever played. Basically run to the switch while an unmovable head summons monsters, then wait till the platform in the middle of a toxic pool has stopped raising. Press enter to have it lower, get in and while it is going up, shoot rockets inside a hole in the head.

Rinse and repeat until Romero's Head is dead. Also, good luck with the summoned monsters.

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
Really hard to top the end of System Shock 2. May in fact be the best game with the worst ending. An 10 out of 10 banger until the final 15 minutes.

And then they did it again in Bioshock!

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
System Shock 2... Yep, can't get worse than that. Seems to be common with these games, few of them have cathartic endings.

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Shinobi 3 - Return of the Ninja Master

Best that comes to mind quickly. Up to this point I had been pretty loose with my platforming and timing, just barely getting by and not getting too bothered by any deaths - and then this level just knocked me on my butt and demanded I pay attention. Everything about it - the final climb up to Neo Zeed, dodging electric walls and shrinking rooms, no actual human baddies but giant death machines in your way. Man it felt good to see that fortress fall down.

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
I came in here thinking Old School meant something...erm...older.

But okay, if we're going with the criteria of, I dunno, at least two generations ago. Then I'm going to say Halo: Combat Evolved's final stage is up there among the best. Now mind you, it's not all that orginal. There's a clock, it counts down, you escape, everything explodes. Been done plenty of times before in Metroid and Resident Evil.

But man, Halo just nails that epic sense of urgency. With the flood fighting the Covenant and Master Chief escaping with the warthog. Brilliant.

retroman

Oct 31, 2017

Shinobi 3 - Return of the Ninja Master

Best that comes to mind quickly. Up to this point I had been pretty loose with my platforming and timing, just barely getting by and not getting too bothered by any deaths - and then this level just knocked me on my butt and demanded I pay attention. Everything about it - the final climb up to Neo Zeed, dodging electric walls and shrinking rooms, no actual human baddies but giant death machines in your way. Man it felt good to see that fortress fall down.

Man, now I want to play Shinobi III again. Wonderful game! And yeah, that final level is a lot more fun than Revenge of Shinobi's frustrating maze level.

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Dunno about best final level, but Icon of Sin in Doom 2 is one of the worst levels I have ever played. Basically run to the switch while an unmovable head summons monsters, then wait till the platform in the middle of a toxic pool has stopped raising. Press enter to have it lower, get in and while it is going up, shoot rockets inside a hole in the head.

Rinse and repeat until Romero's Head is dead. Also, good luck with the summoned monsters.

DOOM 2 is up there as one of my favorite games ever but have to agree there, as much as I love 90's id Software, they were pretty bad at making boss fights.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
DOOM 2, System Shock 2, and Bioshock should all be made examples off to teach developers to not put final bosses in FPS games unless you absolutely have that shit down.

Heck, throw Halo 2 in there as well for good measure.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I wanna go with Venom in Star Fox 64. Finally reaching Andross and defeating him and then making a great escape felt so damn good.

Halo 2 had the worst ending in it's time for me. The idea of a game ending on a cliffhanger seemed so for me. The campaign was so great(even with a bullet sponge final boss). To have it all robbed with a cliffhanger ending pissed me off to no degree. Thankfully halo 3 closed it off amazingly and thankfully halo 2's campaign was so replay-able and it's multiplayer so groundbreaking

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
This reminded me of another terrible fight: El Oscuro in Rise of the Triad Dark War.

When you first face him, he is invulnerable. Literally. You can't damage him. If you try to attack him, he will counter with the same missile. So what you must do? Wait till he gets tired and then transform into a kind of snakelike head.

Then you must chase him with many missile monks attacking you until you arrive his lair. Finally you can damage him and kill him when he is in some lava pools. Kind of easy the fight is.

But wait, you got a bad ending. Why? Well, in the lair, the Oscuro has dozens of offsprings eggs in different areas. And you need to kill them before killing El Oscuro. And you can't even reach one of the areas unless you find the flight powerup or do a rocket jump. Then, after you do kill ALL the offsprings, and kill El Oscuro, you finally beat the game.

Anyways, after the lackluster final episode, you couldn't expect a good final boss fight.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
The worst in the 3d mario series is super mario sunshine volcano boat level and shit bowser in a bath.
Absolutely lowest point in the main mario series.

No42.05W70.2

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
I always hated the water level in Zelda OoT. I just remember it being so confusing bc every room looked the same.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
Can't think of a best, but Far Cry (the first one) had some horrible corridor levels with a lot of enemies, and barely any cover at the very end - I made the mistake of playing the game on hard difficulty, and it took an immense amount of save scumming and cheesing to get anywhere near the end. Horribly unbalanced, and reminded me of how devs didn't always playtest harder difficulty modes.

Oct 27, 2017
DOOM 2, System Shock 2, and Bioshock should all be made examples off to teach developers to not put final bosses in FPS games unless you absolutely have that shit down.

Heck, throw Halo 2 in there as well for good measure.

I finished Rage 2 last night and it had a shitty final boss as well. I don't think they're inherently a bad thing in FPSs but I can't remember the last time I played one and I thought it had a good final boss. I don't like the idea of grinding down a huge health bar like it Destiny but I don't really like 'attack the weak spot to reveal its core' or whatever that a lot of bosses go for. The final boss in Bioshock 1 was awful because it was so easy and pointless, but the final 'boss' of Infinite was awful too because they built up Songbird as this amazing antagonist for the whole game and then the final boss is a shitty wave tower defence thing while
Songbird dies in a cutscene

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Some Gradius games (and by extension, some Parodius games) have really disappointing final bosses that don't do anything at all, or they do very little, and you just shoot at them until they die.

A disappointing final boss is actually one of the staples of the series, lol.

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
Best: Final Fantasy IV & VI hit all the right emotional highs for a finale. Puyo Puyo Tsuu & Sun are true comedy gold.
Worst: Ys Book II, while not as bad as others, drags on a bit too long for Solomon Shrine. Monkey Island 2's finale was an overly complicated retread of the first game with an ending that felt more like an insult than a joke.

RedBaron17

Oct 27, 2017
Worst: StarTropics.
I mean, I guess the title was already giving it away but it bummed me out that after playing through all these awesome tropical/magical locations they go ahead and pull the ancient aliens twist and send you to a freaking space ship.

silverjetpackjumpers.gif

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.

Yep. I love Doom 2, but it really is such a shitty level.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
Focusing on some NES ones:

Great:
Metroid. Tourian nails everything in Metroid 1 and Super Metroid (never played Metroid 2, on my todo... Poor 3DS is neglected)
Zelda II. The Great Palace was amazing. Like Metroid, it nails the music, the sense of foreboding, the feeling that *this* really is the end.

Terrible:
TMNT: Oh god this level was just a mess. Never did beat it.

FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019
Mega Man 2's final level was odd. I don't know if it belongs on this list, but it was eerie walking through that tunnel with no music, just the sounds of devastating acid drips from the ceiling, which as it turns out, you can cheese by hanging on the right wall as you fall into the area.

Someone mentioned the Technodrome from TMNT. Absolutely awful. And it's hard enough just to even get to this level. Then you're trying to find Scythes to unload on the bosses and it's like, holy crap.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Does Kanto in Pokemon Gold/Silver count since it was debatable post-game content and not a final level (though, if I recall, you could go anywhere you wanted freely once you unlocked it)? It was so good it's basically ruined people's ability to understand what reasonable post Elite 4 content in Pokemon games is.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
The last third of Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines is an absolute travesty. Never seen a game shit the bed so badly.

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
As much as I love FF3, the final dungeon is insane.

Long dungeon, Major boss fight, then transported to the last last dungeon where you have to fight four bosses (and random enemies) before you fight the final boss.

Oh and there is no way to save.

Vince-DiCola

Banned
May 22, 2019
Culloden

Long dungeon, Major boss fight, then transported to the last last dungeon where you have to fight four bosses (and random enemies) before you fight the final boss.

This is why I never beat FF3. I would have had to grind for hours just to stand a chance.
Fuck that noise

DHR54

Oh well.
Oct 26, 2017
Canada
One of the best final levels for me is the last level in Contra 3 The Alien Wars.

short but sweet level that turns into a boss gauntlet right up to the final level. good stuff.

SephLuis

Oct 25, 2017

I still have absolutelly no idea how the fuck did I ever passed that gauntlet in the DS version.
I remember beating Cloud of Darkness and that's it.

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
I still have absolutelly no idea how the fuck did I ever passed that gauntlet in the DS version.
I remember beating Cloud of Darkness and that's it.
Cloud of Darkness in the DS version is exponentially more difficult than the Famicom version. In the original all it does is spam Flare Wave, which hits everyone for like, 2K, so you just have to keep up heals while attacking. The DS version gets like, what, 3-5 attacks per round?

dskzero

Oct 30, 2019
While I agree SHODAN is a terrible boss fight in System Shock 2, the final level was a really cool throwback if you had played the first game.

The Van Buren though? The entire ship is an absolute mess and it's the worst part of the game.

Aegis Renfro

Jan 11, 2018
Stage-6-2-Jump.jpg

Eff you, game.
Not only because of this virtually impossible-except-under-certain-circumstances jump, but also because it's the only section of the game that forces you to beat 3 bosses or get sent back to the beginning of the level. Not 6-4 beginning... 6-1 beginning.

"Best"? I don't know. How about Half-Life 2 or Contra 3