• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

theaface

Oct 25, 2017
This thread needs 100% more GHOST TRICK:

18-cabanelastairs.gif

37-kick.gif

Oct 27, 2017
I can't think of a specific one off the top of my head but the animation in recent Guilty Gear games is so good and walking is no exception.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Dark Souls 2 (right), something is very wrong with our pelvis.

CH3I.gif

It's so weird to see Dark Souls 1 looking much better than Dark Souls 2 in motion.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Snake's run animation in MGSV is super clean

mgsps45wiod.gif
So much about the way MGS GZ/V feel is so incredible, the fluidity of the animations etc. I really wish the engine could have got taken forward into more projects. Feels like such a waste.

Also I can count on a single hand other titles that even come close to giving the equivlanenr feeling of momentum/inertia while moving that MG does.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
When they're good, they contribute significantly to the atmosphere and art style of the game. That might sound like an exaggeration, but look at Alucard from Symphony of the Night.

tumblr_inline_nc6x813VH31r8z4qq.gif

Regal elegance. Exertion with restraint. Fluid and detailed. Very unique.

I'm not kidding when I say it's one of my favorite things about the game.

Meanwhile, we have our boy Juste Belmont from Harmony of Dissonance...

1455265173189.gif

This dude is basically glitching across the screen. This is just... unpleasant to look at. Not only that, his sprite makes his head/hair into a giant, unsightly snake-like blob. Eugh.

At least it fits with the whole "dissonance" theme, and with the equally jarring music quality.

What are some of your favorites and least favorites?
Ha, I was going to post Harmony of Dissonance, what a trainwreck. A guy was hacking it to not look so stupid:

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
So much about the way MGS GZ/V feel is so incredible, the fluidity of the animations etc. I really wish the engine could have got taken forward into more projects. Feels like such a waste.

Also I can count on a single hand other titles that even come close to giving the equivlanenr feeling of momentum/inertia while moving that MG does.
The engine is used every year in PES (which also has really good animations)

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Glad someone posted Suikoden IV already. The running animation is just the walking animation sped up. It's god awful.

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
Don't have a good .gif or clip, but the pig's walking/running animation in Monster Boy is great. He got swag.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
My favorite is still Enter the Matrix.

u2nYvA6.gif

There was an incredibly crappy Canadian animated series called The Kevin Spencer Show, and it had basically the exact same run animation.

AlphaMale

Dec 21, 2017
Some of the best walking would be Assassin's Creed series and MGS.
A game with comically bad walking up a set of stairs is Killzone 2. (it's most noticeable when playing MP online matches and seeing people walk up and down small set of stairs)
The game is amazing, otherwise.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
King of Fighters XIV has some pretty bad ones. The animations rarely match the walking speed, so you end up with characters like King of Dinosaurs looking like they're walking on ice. Even MvCI got this right, for fuck's sake.

wossname

Dec 12, 2017
I never really liked the SotN animation. It's smoothly animated, but it looks more like a power walk than a run, or like he's trying to run in water.

3D-wise, MGS V is amazing while still feeling so snappy and responsive to control. Games like Uncharted on the other hand animate well but feel very sluggish

decoyplatypus

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
Don't have a gif at hand, unfortunately, but I remember Shion's run animation in Xenosaga 1 being laughable. She would swing her arms way out in front of her body. Actual movement speed was pretty slow, too, so it was like she was miming a chase for an escaped shopping cart.