• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Cgov.gif

There's just something about running in the Mass Effect games... *chefkiss*

edit: beaten by seconds

Always cracks me up when you see Anderson's as well. Andromeda is also the worst in recent memory...

orig

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
I don't have a gif but I remember being impressed by Delsin's running and acceleration animation in Infamous Second Son at the start of the gen since previous gens didn't have so many animations at once cause of RAM limits.

Nov 4, 2017
I thought Aloy's running and walking animations to be great, also her heavy tread through snow or scurrying down rocky slopes looked cool.

I know it's last gen, but I laughed when I saw John run when I played RDR recently. He runs like a snake is trying to bite his ass.

daedalius

Oct 27, 2017
Can't find a decent gif, but Elder Scrolls Online's run/walk animation actively puts me off playing the game; I literally can't stop looking at it when I'm playing its so bad and distracting.

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
eF834hX.gif

5djXlDw.gif

2B and Aloy have some of the best running animations I've witnessed.

Zimmiwood

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
God awful and she's my second favorite character in the series.
i dont get why folks keep posting baiken's walk anim instead of literally anyone else's from guilty gear. all the characters have boss walk anims, baiken to me being the only exception to this rule.
like why is her shoulder going way up high that way? the whole movement/walk feels really uncomfortable that it just looks weird to me.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
eF834hX.gif

5djXlDw.gif

2B and Aloy have some of the best running animations I've witnessed.

Spidey also has a lot of swag walking as one of your gif shows:

tI0CSRC.gif

Other great walking/running animations:
Aloy, 2B, Noctis, Kratos, Drake, Menat

Awful animations:
Is it strange none comes to my mind immediately? I seem to rather blend those out, lol.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
The Castle of Illusion remake from last gen (psssst, it's been relisted on Xbox Live and can be played through XB1 BC!) gave Mickey a baller ass walk cycle.

I'm also a fan of Slayer's GGXX walking animation.

slayer-walk.gif

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
Spidey also has a lot of swag walking as one of your gif shows:

tI0CSRC.gif

Other great walking/running animations:
Aloy, 2B, Noctis, Kratos, Drake, Menat

Awful animations:
Is it strange none comes to my mind immediately? I seem to rather blend those out, lol.

Ha! I forgot this was a walking thread as well! How is everyone finding my old gifs? XD

Here's 2B walking.

kQJsam0.gif

Evolved1

Oct 27, 2017
Glad Automata and Horizon got gif mentions.

I want to also give recognition to FOR HONOR which has tons of characters all with unique animation and both male/female variants for 60% of those classes. It's honestly an incredible amount just by volume, and 90% is absolutely awesome quality. For Honor deserves awards even if I'm not too hot on the actual game.

dalq

Feb 13, 2018
As much as everyone is shitting on the current state of WoW, I still love the way the different races walk on that game. A Tauren and a Gnome will walk at the exact same speed, but feel completely different, with one feeling heavy and slow and the other one like its on a sugar rush, for example.
And no matter what direction you are turning or looking, the animations never make it seem like you are just sliding atound the ground like a lot of MMOs out therr. Even the new Spiderman has a little bit of slide on his step when running.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of the walking animation in SFV in general is pretty understated but there's some neat stuff in there, Menat aside

uYyC50g.gif
A84rhlv.gif

IC0jRg0.gif
fFHToz6.gif

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of the walking animation in SFV in general is pretty understated but there's some neat stuff in there, Menat aside

uYyC50g.gif
A84rhlv.gif

IC0jRg0.gif
fFHToz6.gif

Street Fighter V in general looks great. Amazing artists are working on it. Visually I was a fan the moment it was announced. It pains me that the game has been such a mess from the very beginning on so many fronts though and it is just not stopping. Out of principle I refuse to buy and play it. :/

Wiseblood

Oct 28, 2017
As much as I love Alpha Protocol, it has one of the worst crouch walk animations I've ever seen.

giphy.gif

Oct 28, 2017
Sonic Adventure has a pretty good mix of amusing animations;
adrunning2z9i3e.gif
58-showeringsrfrl.gif
64-rocketu6iud.gif
55-drowningubcb3.gif

It must be mostly because of nostalgia, but the original Rayman's walking loop is totally burnt in my memory.
I just love seeing those round shapes wiggling around (Gosh, this sentence sounds bad) and the overall smoothness of the limbs animation!

So I tried to capture Rayman's walk cycle as best as I could and make a GIF out of it :
UntidyFarHen-size_restricted.gif
49228.jpg

👍

OP
OP
SolVanderlyn

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
The transition from Mega Man to Mega Man X has always been my favorite, then Capcom felt the need to ruin it in X3 or 4 I think...completely killed my desire to ever play those sequels.
I LOVE X's SNES running animation. As a kid I used to admire how heroic and determined it made him look.

Unfortunately I can't find a good gif of it. They're all janky. In the SNES games X was nimble and fluid.

The PSX games had beautiful sprites, too, but they seemed chunkier and slower. I think the transition could have been a little better, especially X's regular standing animation in those games. His running was fine, if not as awesome as the SNES incarnation.

Speaking of movement animations, Zero's dash in X1 is so fucking cool. Note how in the first two games, before he became playable, he never runs. He just zips everywhere. It made him seem like he was on another level.

DA1A1DC42DA1E08C079987585DC1CA77BFC1B304

Deleted member 46958

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I just started Symphony of the night on Vita for the first time ever, and noticed that Alucard's movement animation is buttery smooth.

Baron Von Beans

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
MvC3 Deadpool's walk animation is easily one of my favorites. DP in general in MvC3 is badass, (heck, it's what my avatar is) but his walk exemplifies his awesomeness

banter

Jan 12, 2018
With a thread with so many repeats only seeing shadow of the colossus mentioned once is baffling to me. I can not stand how that boy runs and jumps. 2B, Aloy, Bayonetta, Snake in MGSV, Samus in Super metroid if you wanna go old school pixel art on it: all greatness. Some of these animations are hilarious.

FarZa17

Oct 27, 2017
I play Killzone: Shadow Fall on PS4 and in multiplayer, I witness the teammates and players' running, crouching and walking animation look so good and move in realistic way.

Meanwhile, Mass Effect games don't really have good walking and running animation.