• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So VA's get recast a lot. It's not something I often like as I much prefer consistency more then anything else.

But sometimes replacements can be just as good if not better.

And then other times they fuck it all up.

So what in your opinion are the best and worst recasts.

I personally much prefer Rob Paulsen as Gray Fox in Metal Gear compared to Greg Eagles. I just think the raspiness in Twin Snakes gives a better impression of a dying man barley being held together.

In contrast I wasn't very fond of Troy Baker as Ocelot. I don't hate it but wish they'd kept Josh Keaton.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
In KH series, I liked Billy Zane a lot more as Ansem, he was more manic and sounded more distinct than the guy in the sequels who sounds like generic deep evil.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
For Kingdom Hearts III, they had to recast Master Xehanort in both Japanese and English because both of his voice actors passed away before recording could begin. His English replacement (Rutger Hauer, which honestly surprised me) is no Leonard Nimoy, but who is? He did a good job.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Michael Ironside as Sam Fisher to the dude who replaced him in Blacklist. One of the worst recasts IMO, considering Sam is old as fuck and is meant to sound like a grizzled, hardened, combat-seasoned field agent which Ironside pulled off perfectly. The guy in Blacklist sounds like your typical white dude in his 30s.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know that it is impossible to replace Leonard Nimoy's iconic sounding voice, but man, I don't think Square even tried.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
  • Best: Dante - Matthew Kaminsky (DMC2) to Reuben Langdon (DMC3 onwards)
  • Worst: Viridi - Hynden Walch (KI: Uprising & SSB Wii U/3DS) to Dayci Brookshire (SSB Ultimate)

Yata

Feb 1, 2019
Spain
The new voice actor for Rise in the P4 Dancing games was awful. Made me appreciate just how important a fitting VA is to sell a character.

EDIT: Just as awful as I remembered.

OP
OP
Gold Arsene

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How are people mentoning Kingdom Hearts and not bring up the worst replacement ever?
200px-Aerith.jpg

Rob2K19

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Best: Akio Otsuka taking over his father's, Chikao Otsuka, role as Master Xehanort.

Worst: The person (could not care to remember even tho the post above said it) who replaced Leonard Nimoy as Master Xehanort in English. Ruined the damn scenes so bad I had to look up the Japanese cutscene right after before I continued.

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone who wasn't Mark Gatha and Lucas Gilbertson for Mega Man X and Zero respectively was inferior. Though Johnny Yong Bosch's Zero was only a slight downgrade.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I know that it is impossible to replace Leonard Nimoy's iconic sounding voice, but man, I don't think Square even tried.
To be honest I think Rutger Hauer's performance is better. KH 3 voice acting direction is a bit better than the handheld ones, despite some good actors being cast in them, maybe cause of more money, the voices now have more of a range of emotions, like Aqua is improved. It would have been interesting if they managed to get the game's lines recorded before Nimoy sadly passed away.

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Basically, Disgaea the series. Any time a character gets recast it is a total downgrade from its previous voice actor. It was horrible to hear Valvatorez not being voiced by Troy Baker, and I stopped altogether playing the Disgaea games in english after they replaced Prinny's va with the guy who voiced Teddie in Persona. I just like consistency with my character voices, and I get that more with the sub.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Worst: David Hayter to Kiefer, even if Kiefer did a pretty good job it just reeked of Kojima wasting money on a replacement, while also screwing Hayter (who loved and took the role very seriously)

Best: Simba's movie voice actor to Cam Clarke in Kingdom Hearts 2. He sounded badass in that game.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
All the Advent Children FF7 casting was perfect, most were one and done.

And I actually thought Lance Bass was a pretty badass Sephiroth in KH1. He didn't sound as morose.

Nachos

Oct 26, 2017
For Kingdom Hearts III, they had to recast Master Xehanort in both Japanese and English because both of his voice actors passed away before recording could begin. His English replacement (Rutger Hauer, which honestly surprised me) is no Leonard Nimoy, but who is? He did a good job.
I thought it was good acting in a vacuum, but it wasn't a great fit for the character. Hauer needed to ham it up way, way more.

How are people mentoning Kingdom Hearts and not bring up the worst replacement ever?
200px-Aerith.jpg
The one positive of having no Final Fantasy characters in III is not having to hear her.

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Oh, another horrible one is that they replace Kid Goku's voice actor in Xenoverse with the one who now voice Kid Gohan in the anime. What was once a charming cute voice, was replaced with this:

clockstrikes

Oct 27, 2017
I thought it was good acting in a vacuum, but it wasn't a great fit for the character. Hauer needed to ham it up way, way more.

The one positive of having no Final Fantasy characters in III is not having to hear her.

It wouldn't have been Mena Suvari anyways. Since Crisis Core, Aerith has been voiced by Andrea Bowen.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Best: Carlos Alazraqui to Tom Kenny in Spyro the Dragon.

Worst: David Hayter to Kiefer Sutherland in Metal Gear Solid V.

ChaserX

Nov 1, 2017
Miami, FL
It's not the worst, but Alyson Stoner did not fit as Kairi in KH3 compared to any of her Xion performances. I still have no idea why they recasted.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Michael Ironside as Sam Fisher to the dude who replaced him in Blacklist. One of the worst recasts IMO, considering Sam is old as fuck and is meant to sound like a grizzled, hardened, combat-seasoned field agent which Ironside pulled off perfectly. The guy in Blacklist sounds like your typical white dude in his 30s.

This only happened because Ironside had cancer at the time.

YellowBara

Oct 26, 2017
Imo it goes like this for the ones I can think of at the top of my head.

Mediocre to Awful:
Aerith (KH1 -> KH2)
Viridi (Kid Icarus Uprising -> Smash Ultimate)
Fox (Smash Brawl -> Smash 4)

Ok:
Viewtiful Joe (Any of them -> MVC3)
Rise Kujikawa and Kanji Tatsumi (P4 -> whatever spinoffs they changed VAs in)

Good to Great:
Tron Bonne (anything before MVC3 -> MVC3)
Chris Redfield (Early games -> RE5)
Chie Satonaka (P4-> P4G)
Sonic and friends (Unleashed -> Colors. I like both sets for the most part though.)
Pauline (MvDK games -> Mario Odyssey)

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Terrance Stamp as Prophet of Truth in Halo 3.

Michael Wincott was superior in Halo 2.

Edit: If you ever do H3 Anniversary Stinkles or even bring back Truth as a character, please bring back Michael Wincott.

Last edited:

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I want Aeris recasted in FF VII remake, she sounds too plain in Crisis Core, too dead in KH 2. Being the last of the ancients, the actress should sound overworldly and a humble flower seller at the same time, she sounds hard to cast because she is like FF's Jesus.

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
200px-Aerith.jpg

Mena Suvari's Aerith is THE WORST.

Mandy Moore did such a good job with Aerith in KH1. Since Moore didn't return for Rapunzel KH3, either, I actually wouldn't mind if Rapunzel's KH3 VA replaced Andrea Bowen as Aerith. It seems like Kelsey Lansdowne played Rapunzel. Bowen wasn't as monotone as Suvari's Aerith, but... yeah. She was a bit generic.

OP
OP
Gold Arsene

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I want Aeris recasted in FF VII remake, she sounds too plain in Crisis Core, too dead in KH 2. Being the last of the ancients, the actress should sound overworldly and a humble flower seller at the same time, she sounds hard to cast because she is like FF's Jesus.
She's actually supposed to be very flirty and playful but much like how everyone thinks Cloud broods all the time that characterization isn't really apparent it seems anymore.

HypedBulborb

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

That was Rutger Hauer???

This is honestly blowing my mind right now lol

Deleted member 34873

User-requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Original Chie sucked, but P4G Chie is worse because you can tell how hard she is trying to recreate the original voice. Which, I repeat, sucked.

So you have a forced imitation of something that wasn't very good to begin with.

EDIT: And to stay on topic, it's not the worst recast but Fuuka's VA being changed to Wendee Lee for Persona 3 Dancing is really off-putting. I didn't like Fuuka's original VA either but at least it was distinct. Wendee Lee did a great job as Faye Valentine.... but pretty much all of her roles are the same voice. Xianghua, Haruhi, Lyn, half of the Dynasty Warriors female cast... Maybe I'm just sick of Wendee Lee being the default female voice actress for a lot of things.

Last edited:

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
I didn't like Tara Strong replacing the original actor for Keira in the Jak & Daxter games. Much less personality.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
She's actually supposed to be very flirty and playful but much like how everyone thinks Cloud broods all the time that characterization isn't really apparent it seems anymore.
Like the part in the forest of the ancients when she's talking to Cloud ambigiously and almost motherly, I think there needs to be something a little 'off', something that suggests there's more to her than being a cute girl, the voices have been too mundane so far and there's moments of mysterious sadness and more to the character than a cute flowerseller.

Kino

Oct 25, 2017
Hard to disagree with all the KH choices. That series has been a revolving door of voice actors and few of the replacements ever manage to live up to the originals.

Another one I'll add on the KH list is Mickey. I know they had to change because the original va died, but the new one is just horrible. I don't know if it's the script or the direction but mickey's info dumps in 3 were awful.

For bad to good, I'd say from Jen Taylor to Samantha Kelly for princess peach. The former's voice was way too airy and made peach sound like a complete ditz while the latter, despite being a bit too cutesy, at least sounds more "present".