• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I think Doug Erholtz did okay as Leon in KH2 and was one of the few half decent recasts in that game. He wasn't really all that great in the Dissdia games afterwards, though.
Everyone sounded god awful in Dissidia. I put the blame on the VA director.

They used the same guy for KH2 and 3, which explains why the VA in general for those games is... not stellar.

Geg

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone sounded god awful in Dissidia. I put the blame on the VA director.

They used the same guy for KH2 and 3, which explains why the VA in general for those games is... not stellar.
Bob Buchholz right? When I saw his name in the KH3 credits for additional voice direction I was like I can't believe this guy is still getting work

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Viewtiful Joe.
In the games he was voiced by Dee Bradley Baker. He had a really cheesy inflection that struck a good balance of feeling like a bit of a loser but also really cool and straight-faced when under the mask, not too dissimilar to the likes of Spider-Man. It felt natural, his cockiness was charming by extension. He was Dante before Dante was written by Itsuno, and his VA helped convey that personality.

In Marvel vs Capcom 3 he was voiced by Darrel Guilbeau and... he doesn't fit, at all. Lest Joe's big fat fucking head in MvC3 goes unmentioned, making him look like a weird goblin person, his voice sounds too forced and high pitched. It's not helped by the writing behind him being really poor. Joe usually manifests his fourth wall awareness into a cocksure attitude, and he usually plays it pretty cool when going up against villains. His personality in MvC3 by comparison makes him come across as kinda wacky, bumbling and obnoxious. While I think that Joe in the games definitely had elements of that personality, it was usually balanced by how smooth of a VA that Baker was, and that's lost here.

If VJ3 exists, they better get Baker back in the role.

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the guy has a bad voice, but whoever replaced Troy Baker's Yuri in Tales of Vesperia Definitive Edition really stands out, and not in a good way. It's extremely jarring hearing one character with two totally different voices.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
DC Douglas' Albert Wesker was the best recast, just sounds like he was having a ball, Capcom better not recast him when the characters comes back in a hell demon form whatever.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Igor's VA in P5 is the worst recast until the game decides to reveal the recast tied into the plot, then it becomes the best recast, hahaha.

Deleted member 671

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Best

Drew Coombs/Mathew Kaminsky -> Rueben Langdon

Pretty much everything fans currently love about the character can be traced back to Reuben. He's also the one who translated DMC 3 script, cast the other voices, suggested Shimomura as cutscene director, etc.

Michael Filipowich -> Roger Craig Smith

Worst

Roger Craig Smith -> RE 7 actor

Dat ain't Chris.

David Hayter -> Kiefer Sutherland

Look, we all know that Hayter's performances after MGS 3 were extremely exaggerated. However, dialing that performance back to MGS 1/2 levels was the answer, not recasting.

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
2018 Kratos. Big upgrade.
Whew. Thank you. When I first heard his voice actor was being replaced, I was disappointed because I had a generally favorable opinion of the original guy. But then I played GOW2018 and went back to listen to the VA in the older games, and oh man did I think it was bad. A huge upgrade indeed.

Castor Archer

Jan 8, 2019
The new voice actor for Rise in the P4 Dancing games was awful. Made me appreciate just how important a fitting VA is to sell a character.

EDIT: Just as awful as I remembered.

Came in here to say this. New voice doesn't fit the character at all, I also just never really liked any of Ashly Burch's performances to begin with. I get people probably felt that way with Chie, but I like both of her voice actors and they both offer something different yet fitting. Laura Bailey will always be Rise.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
The first Destiny game had the character Ghost which was voiced by Peter Dinklage but it was such an infamously mediocre performance that they patched it out of the game for The Taken King expansion and Nolan North was brought in to rerecord.
To be fair it wasn't really his fault since the entire story got scrapped way too late into development, and they decided to have Ghost make up almost all the deficit on his own, so they had to have Peter Dinklage record so many lines on such a tight deadline that there wasn't even any time for proper direction.

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
Worst: From Hayter to Kiefer
Also Worst: Chris Redfield From Roger Craig Smith to whoever voices him on 7

Whales

Oct 25, 2017
the dude who voiced fox in melee was great

in brawl and later they changed the VA.. he sucks lol

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Best: Dbz English dub going from ocean to funi.

Worst: Pokemon 4kids to the garbage low budget crap cast they have now.

Edit: Oops, didnt realize this was a gaming thread.

Huskman

Jan 21, 2019
So I play Infamous 1 and 2 back-to-back. I thought the VA in Infamous 1 was great. The VA in Infamous 2 wasn't bad at all. I just didn't identify his voice as Cole.

verygooster

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
To be fair it wasn't really his fault since the entire story got scrapped way too late into development, and they decided to have Ghost make up almost all the deficit on his own, so they had to have Peter Dinklage record so many lines on such a tight deadline that there wasn't even any time for proper direction.

Yeah part of me actually wondered if there was a more contractual or technical reason for it though yeah the story basically became "Dinklage sucked so North came in."

One randomly came to me even though it's not the hugest deal:

I liked Greg Eagles (George Byrd) as the MGS Cyborg Ninja more than Rob Paulsen's version in Twin Snakes.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chie is very jarring in Persona 4 Golden but I think it fits her way better than the original voice, tbh. At least when she isn't going HWA-TAH, which does make my ears bleed. I barely even noticed the Teddie change, or the Kanji and Rise replacements later on, although it had been a while since I heard their dubs when I finally finished P4 Dancing the other week.

Also Fuuka and Ken from Persona 3 got way better voices in later games.

I also think Aerith had terrible voices pretty universally up until Crisis Core. Which is weird considering Mandy Moore is legit great in other roles, it just felt like most of the celebrities in KH1 were phoning it in.

Hayter to Keifer was utterly pointless and the way they did it gives me little sympathy for Kojima in particular.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
As iconic as the 90s Akuma voice is, Taketora just perfected him across SF4 and 5. Best performance in the game to me.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
He didn't even sound like he was trying, though. Towards the very end of the vanilla campaign he started to sound a little better and more emotive, but the rest of it is infamously bad.

The main reason they had North record the old lines again was because it was a patch to the existing game and would have been super jarring. I was okay with it, but it also kiiind of makes me wish it were possible to equip a Ghost voice pack for at least the lines that aren't part of the main story. some of Dinklage's lines are just so goofy how he said them that it would almost be fun to have them again.

I'm kind of torn on them having North do Cayde's voice in Forsaken, if only because he had so few lines that it's a shame there couldn't have been time to actually have Fillion do them. To be fair to North, though, he did a pretty good job sounding enough like him to not have a huge change but enough not like him to still be Nolan North instead of just hiring a soundalike. Their voices are close enough in most cases that it's not a huge problem, anyway.

Why not!

Though, to be honest, I still kind of preferred the Ocean dub to Funi's. Nobody will ever replace the Japanese cast for me, but Ocean's take was better, IMO. I actually like Christopher Sabat, but him doing Piccolo AND Vegeta was too much, especially since they both just sound like they've been smoking for 80s years. Piccolo I like and it fits well enough, but it should have been someone else for Vegeta, IMO.

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017
Almost all of the recast voices for Silent Hill 3 from the HD collection. Now, the VAs they got are usually good, but the voice direction they were given was way off mark.

OP
OP
Gold Arsene

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh for another good one Sephiroth.

From fucking Lace Bass of all people to George "Superman" Newbern. Who does such a great job in the roll.

Please make him DLC for 3 please.

Denamitea

Nov 1, 2017
I actually didn't mind Kiefer in MGS5 as much as I thought I would. It might just be because he barely says anything the whole game anyways. David Hayter is still better of course, though.

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
MGSV in two cases:
David Hayter to Kiefer Sutherland
Patric Zimmerman (or Josh Keaton) to Troy Baker

Neither were "bad", there were just not as good the the previous and the characters were already established. It was weird. Besides, Ocelot is waaaay more dramatic.

Tokki

Feb 10, 2019
Best: Mitsurugi from Soulcalibur 3, 4, and 5 (Ed Cunningham) to Soulcalibur 6 (Ray Chase). Ed Cunningham is pretty decent as an older Mitsurugi in SC5, but Ray Chase did an awesome job in SC6.

Worst: Literally everyone from Dynasty Warriors 8 to Dynasty Warriors 9. As if DW9 wasn't already enough of a dumpster fire, the English dub sounds like they took four of Koei's janitors and set them in front of a microphone. Everyone in this game sounds identical and the voice acting itself is really bad. DW8's English dub wasn't perfect, but was sure as hell better than this.

Thornquist

Jan 22, 2018
Norway
Kiefer Sutherland in MGS5 wouldn't have bothered me if it wasnt for the fact that all the 3 main guys sounded exactly the same. Impossible to tell who was talking at some points.

TickleMeElbow

Oct 31, 2017
Worst: David Hayter to Keifer Sutherland.

David Hayter's performance in Peace Walker was awful. Almost sounded like a parody.

Replacing him was understandable when considering the tone of GZ and V, although it still puzzles me that they kept the Huey/Otacon voice actor. I thought that dude was bad even in MGS1.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Billy Zane's Ansem being recast was such a shame. The new guy sounds so boring in comparison.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I understand people wishing Billy still played Ansem, but Richard is fantastic, too!

How are people mentoning Kingdom Hearts and not bring up the worst replacement ever?
200px-Aerith.jpg
A literal robot lmao.

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018

Oh my the old Pokemon dub was just so much better than the newer one. I still can't hear Ash in Sarah Natochenny's work. I do like her as Pokémon Trainer in Smash though.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
latest

Doesn't get much worse than this. To be fair to Kiefer, he was the least of the problems surrounding MGSV's narrative and characters. David Hayter would not have saved that mess.

Rob2K19

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is what I thought of when I saw this thread title. Akio's impression of his father's voice acting is spot-on. They apparently still had some lines that Chikao Otsuka recorded really early on and use those for some lines but it's nearly impossible to tell when the voice switches actors.

Aside from his passing to honor his role, another reason he's in the credits.

Imagine thinking this shit about Rutger Hauer. Jesus fucking Christ.

Imagine misinterpreting that post. Jesus fucking Christ.

Yeah for real. Some people need to watch more movies.

No where in the post was it stated that one did not know him nor did it state that one's movie watching is limited.

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Worst: David Hayter to Kiefer, even if Kiefer did a pretty good job it just reeked of Kojima wasting money on a replacement, while also screwing Hayter (who loved and took the role very seriously)

Best: Simba's movie voice actor to Cam Clarke in Kingdom Hearts 2. He sounded badass in that game.
Never played KH2. Did he use his Master Miller/ Kratos voice?

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I liked Keifer as Snake. He sounded perfect for that version of that character at the time it took place in. It fit the overall mood of 5.

I also didn't mind Lance Bass as Sephiroth in Kingdom Hearts. I always assumed he'd have a high effeminate voice. Superman's voice also worked though.