• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Brandon

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
MOD EDIT - MOST RECENT DEVELOPMENTS

Wario64 declares GCU dead:
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/997610067644985344
Someone on the CAG forums posted this.
ALo1ZfQ.jpg

I think that's a pretty bad sign.

Original Post Below
I was browsing the Best Buy website and noticed that games are not showing their GCU price on the product page despite having an active membership. It's instead showing the full price for a game and not showing the 20% off discount until a game is added to the cart.

It looks like they are no longer accepting new members to sign up online or existing members to renew online:

This too:

This would be a huge loss so it's worth bringing attention to. The best way to buy new video games could be gone.

Last edited by a moderator:

FPX

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Guess that kills any chance of it coming to Canada and saving us from our super watered-down Prime.

Revven

Oct 27, 2017
Wow this would really, really suck considering Amazon has been changing their whole 20% off thing as well with Prime...

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Ugghhhh....this sucks that I can't renew online anymore. I don't have a Best Buy that is very close, but routinely use GCU. At least it's still available in some form. I'll just have to be mindful when it gets near time to renew.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
When I was buying physical I used it all the time. It would be a bummer if it goes. People should stock up in store.

PurgeVIII

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
United States
Only thing keeping me from buying all digital is the 20% off physical discount. If that goes, then I guess I'll only get digital games in the future.

5Twist

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck, and GCU offers the best value too. My subscription is not even halfway through yet.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
But....why? I don't use it but they DO know that everyone who has it loves it right?

Nitori

Oct 29, 2017
I just renewed by subscription late last year. This saved me so much money. What a shame to see it go.

Oct 25, 2017
They better honor my sub or give me a gift card as compensation for my sub. This would suck though. With thisnive bought more games and used reward points to buy other things.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
I had the problem with the membership not propagating to my online account when I purchased it online, so I'm not surprised they're suspending online enrollment.

Kinda sucks if the lack of transparency when browsing the store really does signal the end of the program. But at the same time, I'm not surprised. The discounts + credit card rewards + virtually everything ending up getting overnight shipped means they're definitely losing money on me, at least.

If I were them, I'd shift to an annual fee instead of every other year.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
No freaking way! This sucks.

Thank God for Monster Hunter. Got GCU literally this January just for that game (since they had a steelbook). Crazy that they just silently killed it like this.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
The title says it may be ending but the stories/details in OP just show you have to go into the store to buy GCU or renew. Is the title wrong?

BTW, the prices show regular for me but after adding to my cart I get the 20% off discount.

Deleted member 41931

User requested account closure
Apr 10, 2018
I don't think that necessarily means they're bailing. The online bbcu was fucking broken. Basically anybody that bought had to call support and go through this massive process that they probably deemed a waste of resources. They'll probably leave it in store only until they have it properly functioning.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Well, guess I won't need to shop at Best buy after my subscription runs out

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
WTF This had to have enough numbers to justify it, right? Can't they up the price or something? 30 bucks a year would still be a damn good deal.

Well, guess I won't need to shop at Best buy after my subscription runs out

Yeah, the amount of times I bought actual games from them before this was negligible. I have no reason to pick them over anyone else after this.

Oct 25, 2017
That will make Amazon the only one offering 20% off new games. I really have no intention of ever using Amazon Prime, especially not after that price hike. Was good while it lasted, I guess.

Deleted member 896

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess this just happened in the last few hours? I ordered a game for in store pickup like four hours ago before heading out to lunch and everything was perfectly normal with GCU discounts

ShinySunny

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
I am confused af at the title.
All the tweet says that GCU is membership activation is in-store only because BB is wasting too much time listen to gamers whining about online activation.

How the eff did OP even come to this conclusion...Am I dumb or I don't understand how to read English anymore?

Molto

Oct 27, 2017
Wowwww this is terrible if true. I literally only buy games from BB due to the 20 % off and points that accumulate.