• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Its amazing, but since the Lost of GCU, i haven't had any reason to go there. I still walk in to check things out but I don't shop there. However with the way Amazon is treating their employees that aren't in offices, I'm definitely going to be going there for price matches tho

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
I love Best Buy and would go in all the time with GCU. However, mine expired last month so I won't go in as much once I get the 50 or so games I pre ordered before it expired haha. I usually would pick up a 4k movie or two when I went in as well. So it's not like I only bought the games.

KillingJoke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Best Buy is essentially my local amazon store for electronics thanks to price matching. Amazon only comes in handy for random stuff and cheap cables.

zychi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Chicago
They get paid by the FBI and US govt to go through people's computers. They're not going down anytime in the immediate future, despite their stores being tvs, overpriced computers, and appliances

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
They have been adding "collectibles"(junk) like Gamestop did to their stores which I don't know makes them come off as sad to me.

x3sphere

Oct 27, 2017
Best Buy was my go to for video games thanks to GCU but since that's gone I have no real reason to go there anymore. Just use Amazon for almost all my entertainment shopping needs now.

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
They get paid by the FBI and US govt to go through people's computers. They're not going down anytime in the immediate future, despite their stores being tvs, overpriced computers, and appliances

so you are one of those guys that thinks the FBI and CIA are funding a billion dollar company just to snoop through people's machines as they bring them in eh

Mr Spasiba

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If I can buy something at BestBuy I usually will because they've got such a lax return policy. Only issue is them not having the variety so you either have to go with Amazon or compromise on something else that BB does have, and I don't usually go for the latter.

iverron

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As long as my GCU still works I'll shop there but I'll go back to using BB as a last resort after that's done.

I will say after about a 50/50 dud rate on cables for my USB C only MBP from Amazon I did just break down and use BB's overpriced shit because I was so tired of not being able to immediately return a bad item for something better. Amazon's ratings system is completely out of control.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They were one of the best ever during the time of GCU for buying games but once mine ends in december I'm done with them. No malice or anything, I just won't have any reason to buy anything from them anymore. I know GCU came out of their 30% cut so it's not like they were making a lot of money from people like me to begin with but I always looked at it like getting some money is better than nothing. I guess I don't think big enough or irrational enough to run a business.

WiiDSmoker

Banned
May 13, 2018
it sucks they are getting rid of gamers club unlocked. i probably wont shop there as much now

I'm curious to see how their video game market share is impact. When my GCU runs out I won't be buying from them anymore. With Amazon cutting back prime discounts...well my purchases on games will drastically decrease and become extremely limited.

Amory

Oct 27, 2017
They price match, so it's basically an Amazon pickup center for shit I want today

Cruxist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Best Buy was the MVP for me several years ago looking for a new Vita. They had like 2 of those Borderlands bundles in stock and I managed to nab one.

zychi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Chicago
so you are one of those guys that thinks the FBI and CIA are funding a billion dollar company just to snoop through people's machines as they bring them in eh
So you're one of those guys that thinks the CIA, FBI and NSA are always being good.

Very easy too Google(the irony) of all the corporations these government entities pay and work with. You think Best Buy magically turned their fortunes around in the past ten years as their store sells dying physical media and Apple takes up 1/4 of their stores?

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
So you're one of those guys that thinks the CIA, FBI and NSA are always being good.

Very easy too Google(the irony) of all the corporations these government entities pay and work with. You think Best Buy magically turned their fortunes around in the past ten years as their store sells dying physical media and Apple takes up 1/4 of their stores?

We all know the FBI and other alphabet agencies do shady shit but spending billions just to get data off the handful of people who bring their laptops in when they have a problem? Come on dude, take off the tinfoil hat. I have no doubt those agencies do some cloak and dagger but they aren't going to prop up a giant failing retail operation just to get at 20k people's data a year. There's much more cost efficient ways of doing that (which im sure they probably do).

zychi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Chicago
We all know the FBI and other alphabet agencies do shady shit but spending billions just to get data off the handful of people who bring their laptops in when they have a problem? Come on dude, take off the tinfoil hat. I have no doubt those agencies do some cloak and dagger but they aren't going to prop up a giant failing retail operation just to get at 20k people's data a year. There's much more cost efficient ways of doing that (which im sure they probably do).
I dont know why you think theyre spending "billions." Its enough to keep the lights on. Google it man. I'm sure they make enough money to pay their understaffed store employees minimum wage by selling overpriced laptops and hdmi cables to boomers

Edit: i should clarify that i buy my (very rarely) new game purchases at best buy and take advantage of their rewards program all the time, but theyre not really making any money off me

Bman94

Oct 28, 2017
I like Best Buy because I hate waiting for shit online plus the GCU and award program. But once GCU is done for I definitely will be there a whole lot less. That 20% off games was a godsend.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Wow, I had no idea they were doing that well, I had always assumed that they were doing poorly and on the brink of having to significantly downsize.

Oct 29, 2017

I mean you COULD read the article in the OP.

But I will have to say, this conspiracy theory is new to me and is massively entertaining.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
That's good. Competition is needed, and it's nice to have a bricks and mortar option for those of us who don't like shopping for expensive things online. Or doing much online shopping in general.

zychi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Chicago
I mean you COULD read the article in the OP.

But I will have to say, this conspiracy theory is new to me and is massively entertaining.
The brands essentially pay rent to Best Buy (it's cheaper than building stores) and either send in their own salespeople or train the blue shirts. No one at Best Buy would offer details about these partnerships.

These deals with Apple, Google, Microsoft and Samsung, along with the government payments is whats keeping them afloat. The article doesnt delve into any specifics besides a fluff piece of new management, and looking at their financials, they seem consistent for a company losing their accessory sell ups to the internet and renting out floor space to other companies.

If they were a real estate company, sure this sounds great, but they're not making profits off these items theyre selling.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Best Buy is a lot less appealing to me lately. Their video game and physical media selections are pathetic.
GCU was almost worthless because there was rarely anything to use it on.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017

Physical media is almost non-existent at Best Buy now and the Apple section is tiny compared to a normal, large sized BB.

I think a physical big box electronics store will always be popular but it seems like more than one is too many. They kind of won by default.

Oct 29, 2017
Many years ago, When Best Buy sold extended warranties on CDs, I overheard a manager talking to a new employee.

"You have to try to sell the warranty three times. Usually by the third time the customer will give up and buy it." The girl looked mortified.

I stopped shopping there for a long time after that.

Home Depot has now adopted that exact same behavior. They have HVAC sales people walking around the store trying to sell "HVAC tune-ups." They do not take no for an answer. I was doing a large project and I was in the store three times in one week and all three times they harassed me. I set down my basket in the aisle and walked out. I won't be back for a long time.
I worked at Best Buy this last holiday.
You'll be happy to know that quote, in nearly exact words is in the examples of what NOT to do.

They switched the pressing strategy on the Credit Card though, which didn't sit well with me.

MaxEverblack

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Iowa
I've worked at Best Buy in the Geek Squad for about 5 years now. Started off full time to get some experience with troubleshooting tech issues and now I'm part time GS doing the actual repairs. It looks great on my resume and helped me get some experience while working through my ITNA degree and to my current IT full time position. i used to hate Best Buy before I worked there because I thought they were overpriced and I could buy things online for cheaper. I see the value in getting to see a product before I buy it and getting to talk to others about products I'm interested in and like. Joly is a great leader and I definitely think he's made some positive changes the past few years.

zychi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Chicago
Physical media is almost non-existent at Best Buy now and the Apple section is tiny compared to a normal, large sized BB.

I think a physical big box electronics store will always be popular but it seems like more than one is too many. They kind of won by default.
The few I venture through have dvds, bluray, games(biggest section) and physical pc games near geek squad. One has started getting vinyl, but theyre one of the test stores where all the silly failed stuff shows up

t26

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
How has it changed? I worked for Best Buy for 4 years while in college just over a decade ago. Very little has changed for customer experience. The layout is damn near the same, what's bs about my statement?
For one thing you would notice they almost stop selling music CD now.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
My hometown Best Buy is kind of amazing. Lots of options, tons of movies and games. You'd never think physical media is said to be on the downswing.

The Best Buy where I live right now, however, might as well be a near-vacant lot with a mild selection of cellphones.

Kendrid

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
I worked at Best Buy this last holiday.
You'll be happy to know that quote, in nearly exact words is in the examples of what NOT to do.

They switched the pressing strategy on the Credit Card though, which didn't sit well with me.

That is great to hear it is a corporate policy. I just bought a new monitor last week and the sales person asked nicely and when I said "no thank you" that was the end of the discussion. That is how it should be at all stores.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
How has it changed? I worked for Best Buy for 4 years while in college just over a decade ago. Very little has changed for customer experience. The layout is damn near the same, what's bs about my statement?
No it's not the same. They've gone to more specialized areas and displays. They've also shifted focus on the types of products they are carrying. Saying it's the same as ten years ago is just wrong.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

You had a huge cell phone store-within-a-store in the middle a decade ago? Receipts, please.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
My guess is for higher priced electronics like TVs and Computers people would rather go to a real store and walk out with it immediately then order it online and risk either getting the wrong thing or have something happen to it during transport.

SlothmanAllen

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I can remember the predictions about Best Buy's demise about eight to ten years ago in the Washington Post, New York Times, etc. Interesting to see how they turned it around.

Mastamind

Oct 25, 2017
I would actually go to best buy if they didn't close the one that was 15 minutes away from my house. Never going to travel over an hour just to go to to a best buy.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
you'll always need brick and mortar no matter what. Prime Now cut my Best Buy trips in half but i'll still need to run down there now and again

Jazzy

Oct 25, 2017
I try to buy less from Amazon now knowing how scummy their company is. I'll never fully quit 100% though. If there is something I can get at BB via better price or by price matching Amazon I will do that instead.

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
I always felt it was a matter of what the market could support. Amazon + more than one big box electronic store? Remaining slices of that pie are too little to be tenable, but only one big box store? It's doable. Basically the market has "thinned the herd" of what was unnecessary